Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

If your way of commiserating is to say "humanity will go extinct and we're all doomed" then you need to get some loving help.

Its not a healthy mentality. All it does is create an anxiety inducing environment that burdens others.
its time to drink the kool aid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright fine.

I feel like some of you guys have serious misinformation about the state of the world regarding climate and the narrative of "we're all going to die soon" is not healthy and also inaccurate. I know this because I was buying into it for awhile until I started looking for info on my own and being more objective. Things are lovely, they are going to get shittier, but the future isn't hopeless. Most climate scientists think that even in the worst case scenario of us doing literally nothing about climate we wouldn't go extinct as a species, though life for a lot of people would become incredibly lovely or impossible. However, current trends are already shifting away from the worst case scenarios so there's no reason to assume we're all doomed. That's in spite of a hostile political environment towards climate action.

Its really easy to get mired in negative news, and a lot of short term stuff can seem apocalyptic if you let it dominate your headspace like that. But its important to remember that the defeatist narrative of "nothing can be or will be done" is harmful to yourself and others. Its also what rich bastards want you to think because it lets them continue to get away with keeping things the same as long as they possibly can.

I'm not gonna pretend stuff doesn't suck sometimes but if you genuinely believe that Bernie Sanders was the one true hope for humanity to not go extinct your kind of losing it and need a reality check. And I only mention this because for people with anxiety disorders those kind of offhand comments are actually really troubling. So just throwing them out in a video game chat thread of all places is pretty inconsiderate.

wisdom. you're good people ik. keep readin and staying abreast of facts

cheetah7071 posted:

I am probably about halfway through FFV now? I'm in the second world. I beat the dragon grass boss before quitting for the night.

lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

If your way of commiserating is to say "humanity will go extinct and we're all doomed" then you need to get some loving help.

Its not a healthy mentality. All it does is create an anxiety inducing environment that burdens others.

Mate I just lived through a summer where family lost their houses, and our Prime Minister decided the best course of action was PR stunts where he forcefully shook the hands of people who were telling him to get hosed.

My entire country was ON loving FIRE and the same old rhetoric got rolled out by a bunch of fuckwits in suits telling us to calm down. So maybe doom & gloom isn't the best option, but people should be getting loving pissed off about inaction and people getting elected that are only looking to line their back pockets.

Have a me-me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah the bronze age collapse is a more useful model than literal extinction

I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to live through the bronze age collapse though

A Sanders presidency would spend all its political capital on M4A which, while an intensely good thing, would make absolutely no progress on climate front. If you were a single issue climate change voter, there was no candidate for you this presidential election

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 4, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imagine thinking people are too negative about their inevitable death and your rational counter is "you arent literally going to get melted by the sun just the rest of your life is likely going to be increasingly miserable"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

if I'm significantly less than halfway then the game will risk overstaying its welcome

it's good but it's a ton worse than the other golden age (~4-10) final fantasies

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In actual on topic news, I bought my mate Marvel Champions for his birthday. Gonna surprise him with it this weekend (And hopefully play the poo poo out of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkCbv864g4c

Looks cool. I'm sure the concept could get tiring after a bit, but it's a living-card-game with expansions and what-not.
Should be worth a round or twenty.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

don't worry there's tons of stuff to be depressed about other than just climate

i watched the first season of castlevania earlier and trevor belmont at one point says "god shits in my dinner once again" and that's a pretty good line

my friend passed away from cancer today and i dont know of any video games that will help.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Infinitum posted:

Mate I just lived through a summer where family lost their houses, and our Prime Minister decided the best course of action was PR stunts where he forcefully shook the hands of people who were telling him to get hosed.

My entire country was ON loving FIRE and the same old rhetoric got rolled out by a bunch of fuckwits in suits telling us to calm down. So maybe doom & gloom isn't the best option, but people should be getting loving pissed off about inaction and people getting elected that are only looking to line their back pockets.

Oh people absolutely should be getting pissed off. That's my entire point. Change can happen, but it has to be fought for tooth & nail.So what exactly does going "Bernie Sanders lost and now we will all die from climate change" accomplish? It just demotivates people and makes a lovely situation even worse.

homeless snail posted:

imagine thinking people are too negative about their inevitable death and your rational counter is "you arent literally going to get melted by the sun just the rest of your life is likely going to be increasingly miserable"

You're literally one of the worst posters about being consistently negative and entirely unpleasant. You're also intentionally missing the point. So you can just shut up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I am probably about halfway through FFV now? I'm in the second world. I beat the dragon grass boss before quitting for the night.
i'll get to FFV.. FF3 comes first. and then i was thinking of maybe doing dragon quest 3. like doing FF3, then DQ3, then FF4, then DQ4, then FF5, then DQ5

and then i can definitely state which series is better

Internet Kraken posted:

Most climate scientists think that even in the worst case scenario of us doing literally nothing about climate we wouldn't go extinct as a species, though life for a lot of people would become incredibly lovely or impossible.
the problem for me is that i am highly empathetic and so it worms me up inside major when i think of how many people will be impacted. my life will likely become worse if trump gets a second term because LGBT people are fighting a battle against institutions that are locking and loading to go to war with us, but it will be even worse for people who live in areas that will become uninhabitable. so even if i feel like people failed us, what makes me feel worse is that we failed them

Kerrzhe posted:

my friend passed away from cancer today and i dont know of any video games that will help.
condolences. i'm not sure there is a catchall game.... but games that have helped me to shut the world out AND shut my brain off would include Stardew Valley.. and recently FF14. i think building games in general are pretty calm and relaxing for me. so dragon quest builders or minecraft, or portal knights i guess. or a city builder. or terraria?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 4, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The golden age of ff is disc 4 of ff8 to disc 1.5 of ff9

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

You're literally one of the worst posters about being consistently negative and entirely unpleasant. You're also intentionally missing the point. So you can just shut up.
thanks for noticing, i try

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

The golden age of ff is disc 4 of ff8 to disc 1.5 of ff9

disc 4 is just time compression, right

I don't remember exactly where the disc boundaries are but the disc where you go into space is the best one

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

Sorry to hear mate. Maybe his favourite game, if you knew it? :unsmith:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

if I'm significantly less than halfway then the game will risk overstaying its welcome

you're not significantly less than halfway but the second world is really long. also... well, yknow

homeless snail posted:

we all do eventually!

that's why it's better to live your best life, cuz you only get the one time to do it. i should know

Kerrzhe posted:

it's cuz things like this man. you can't say when you're gonna go, but you'd be bummed if you did and you'd spent all your time worrying about it when you were healthy. i hope you got to spend a lot of time with your bro, that helps a lot aftewrads.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 4, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
not clicking that spoiler cause I enjoy being blind but I'm glad to hear that I'm at least like, 40% of the way through

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The 7th Guest posted:

the problem for me is that i am highly empathetic and so it worms me up inside major when i think of how many people will be impacted. my life will likely become worse if trump gets a second term because LGBT people are fighting a battle against institutions that are locking and loading to go to war with us, but it will be even worse for people who live in areas that will become uninhabitable. so even if i feel like people failed us, what makes me feel worse is that we failed them

I get all that. I'm in pretty much the same boat. Things are pretty lovely, and I'm not gonna pretend they won't get even worse. But there is still hope, and there is still a chance for a better future even within our lifetimes. So don't give into the narrative that we're all doomed and that every defeat is the final blow that crushes us forever. And try to vent in ways that don't feed into that negative loop, because its not only bad for you but its bad for others.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 4, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

actually positivity is the bad one that rots your brain, pessimism keeps you grounded

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

homeless snail posted:

actually positivity is the bad one that rots your brain, pessimism keeps you grounded

weren't you the one who posted a link to or at least quoted a clip of a loving live shooting. you have no place to talk

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

yeah I'm gonna go ahead and agree with kraken that this kind of posting sucks rear end and if this is your real unironic outlook you should probably try to get some help

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tonfa posted:

weren't you the one who posted a link to or at least quoted a clip of a loving live shooting. you have no place to talk
that doesn't sound like something I'd do but I'd have to check the tape

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I get all that. I'm in pretty much the same boat. Things are pretty lovely, and I'm not gonna pretend they might not get even worse. But there is still hope, and there is still a chance for a better future even within our lifetimes. So don't give into the narrative that we're all doomed and that every defeat is the final blow that crushes us forever. And try to vent in ways that don't feed into that negative loop, because its not only bad for you but its bad for others.
fair. i know there's still hope. in my defense though, that time and feeling comes after significant decompression and resetting. i can't go through the five stages that quickly.

if people dont want to see this poo poo here though, i'll keep it to myself, and just say that i got to the continent of Dalg in FF3 which is 'glad' backwards and it's making me wonder how many island/continent/character names in Square adaptions are anagrams

e: I also think I'm underlevelled, which is probably a bad thing in a FF game unless i learn to break the game with these jobs, because final bosses in these games always give me a lot of grief

vvvvvvvv Oh i'm definitely eating something bad for me tomorrow, probably a non-fastfood burger or maybe i'll order pizza

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 4, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hey all, yes things are bleak and recent events do not help. How some of you are feeling right now is how I felt in December when those results came in.

Life is tough for a lot of us right now and for some it really is a life or death situation, but this is when we can do our best to support each other, to laugh at bad video games, love good video games and just keep on trying our hardest to be great people and posters.

Sometimes it might feel like you have no control because of the big things, but there are always the little things that you can do. You can play that game, you can zone out in front of bad tv, you can eat a delicious snack, you can go for a walk, you can do something that makes you smile.

Me? I like to read this thread, chat in this thread and share my time with you all. I like our community and will not stop looking after it and fighting for it.

And Kerrzhe, I am very sorry for your loss.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The 7th Guest posted:

e: I also think I'm underlevelled, which is probably a bad thing in a FF game unless i learn to break the game with these jobs, because final bosses in these games always give me a lot of grief

The endgame is absolutely brutal, but you also get the best jobs right before it so you'll want to get there first before worrying about levels. Can't really break much, it's the most linear battle system in the series.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But look on the bright side, you can't catch Coronavirus if you're inside playing vidya games :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tonfa posted:

The endgame is absolutely brutal, but you also get the best jobs right before it so you'll want to get there first before worrying about levels. Can't really break much, it's the most linear battle system in the series.
the one good thing about FF3 on iOS is that it has a cloud save feature, and that includes quicksaves. so you can quicksave, then put that quicksave in the cloud, and it won't get deleted when you load it because you can just load back from the cloud. so it's a functional 'save anywhere'

that won't help a ton in the very last stretch where you have to fight a bunch of bosses in a row but it at least means i won't have to do the whole thing over after each failure

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
there are two things that will save you in ff3-ds, and those are hp, and having insanely high weapon proficiency levels.

why hp is important: most enemies' spells do thousands and thousands of damage (i'm talking 5000+) that "hits once" so armor resistance doesn't get multiple passes on damage reduction.
why weapon proficiency is so important: the game counts damage higher than 9999 but can't display it, so if you hit 128 times (dual wielding 64 per hand) you'll one shot many different things

keep in mind that proficiency is per weapon, per hand

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
imo ffv is actually kind of dull if you aren't playing the four job fiesta or some similar challenge run - a normal playthrough is just too easy and the narrative is worse than the games on either side of it in the series

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Kerrzhe posted:

don't worry there's tons of stuff to be depressed about other than just climate

i watched the first season of castlevania earlier and trevor belmont at one point says "god shits in my dinner once again" and that's a pretty good line

I take some solace in knowing that there were so many of us who cared deeply about our friend enough to arrange gifts and plan trips in his final weeks; I'm positive he knew we were rooting for him right up until the end.

And of all things this crummy Nedroid comic always comes to mind when I'm dealing with tragedy:

I'm gonna miss him.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
This is a safe place to talk about video games and generally whatever is going on in your life, good or bad. If you have something that you want to talk about, then do it and ignore the people who don't know how to use a scroll wheel. This was one of the only places I felt self talking about my father's death last year and I would hate for someone else to feel like they're 'bothering' the thread if they have real life poo poo to talk about. Game on and namaste friends.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

e/n: Got woken up by a spider crawling up my arm. Jesus gently caress, is it the weekend yet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thank you tony the tiger but please stay away from my daughter

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

its time to drink the kool aid

It is possible to disagree with someone without telling them to kill themselves. I know you know this. Why did you think this was a good thing to post?

Internet Kraken posted:

It just demotivates people and makes a lovely situation even worse.

I disagree with you, but that's because I personally believe that those kinds of feelings should be vented so that they can be challenged and that people can be reassured that even in times where we feel that the world is collapsing around us and we have no power to stop it, that we can at least have our own little place where everybody knows our name avatar and even the saddest, most horrific, most trying, most miserable of times and thoughts can be vented safely and challenged in a healthy and helpful way.

Kerrzhe posted:

You've been going through a lot lately, I'm sorry that you've had to have this added on to it. I can't do much other than offer my condolences and I am sorry that that is all I can do, but my condolences to your friend's family and peers and my condolences for you and anyone else suffering the loss of your friend, especially to something as dreadful as cancer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I was all set up to start devil may cry 5 last night then i got what i can only describe as single player ladder anxiety and decided i should try continue my half finished second run of bloodborne instead

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

It is possible to disagree with someone without telling them to kill themselves. I know you know this. Why did you think this was a good thing to post?
no one on earth has used kool aid as a metaphor for suicide, even post jonestown. big stretch here

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

e/n: Got woken up by a spider crawling up my arm. Jesus gently caress, is it the weekend yet

I was recently awoken by the sounds of a cockroach scratching its way between the skirting and the floor. I’m usually pretty okay with bugs and poo poo since it’s Australia and bugs and poo poo are all we got but i didn’t like that one bit.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Jay Rust posted:

At least it wasn't your mouth.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

no one on earth has used kool aid as a metaphor for suicide, even post jonestown. big stretch here

Okay then, what exactly did you mean when you told someone that it was time to drink the kool aid, a phrase that came about in reference to the mass suicides of people in Jonestown?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I know how a moment in politics like today for Americans can really seem catastrophic and make you miserable, I've been there myself. It's an awful feeling, and I think venting about it is definitely worthwhile, but so is trying to move forward and finding actions you can personally take. I do a lot of volunteering now, not political but social, and it does help a lot to feel like I'm contributing positively to the world, even though the organisations I volunteer for are perpetually underfunded and in an ideal world charities should not have to exist etc etc

My recommendation: service dog organisations always need people to raise puppies. Huge time/effort/life commitment BUT having a big beautiful labrador in my life that I can take literally anywhere has been so good for me. They also probably need people to look after dogs for short periods of time, or come into their kennels to walk them or hang out, so if you're a dog person that can be a really positive thing to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay then, what exactly did you mean when you told someone that it was time to drink the kool aid, a phrase that came about in reference to the mass suicides of people in Jonestown?

I took it as a "time to believe whatever mindless nonsense the cult of 'climate change isn't that big of a deal' believes". Drinking the Kool aid to me isn't an explicit suicide reference, it's more about the mentality that takes away rational thought (literally cult like thinking) that makes people believe/do things that are not in their best interest.

I could actually go for some sugary rear end Kool aid right now. But honestly anything that can contribute to getting diabetes is on my avoid list, when insulin cost $250 a shot I sure a gently caress need to take better care of myself. I guess if the idea of Medicare for all is so politically unattainable right now it's more motivation to get myself in shape to try and prepare myself for middle age.