Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

The new one opens on the entire town watching "Vindicators: Crystal War Part 1" (Marble Cinematic Universe) and everyone is bummed the gently caress out that all the heroes get turned into crystal and die at the end, and they have to wait a year for the conclusion.

Flashes forward a year, and Bart injures Milhouse imitating a YouTube stunt. He's waiting around in Milhouse's room while Milhouse gets treatment, and one of the stars shows up (drunk) for a visit to cheer up the kids. The guy gets blackout drunk, tells Bart he's got a laptop with the sequel on it in his bag, and passes out. Bart watches it and realizes he has leverage over everyone because he knows the ending before everyone else.

Bart starts making people do poo poo for him on threat of spoiling it (He makes Skinner hand over his wig).

Bart demands the town build him an ultimate treehouse.

Milhouse confronts him, and he's about to spoil the ending for Milhouse, when :siren: poo poo goes off the rails here listen up :siren: one of the Vindicators shows up and throws Bart through a portal into the Marble Cinematic Dimension. The assembled superheroes explain that all the poo poo he sees in the movies actually happens. Bart spoiling part of the movie for Comic Book Guy led to the villains in their dimension getting advance warning of what was going to happen, allowing them to kill one of the heroes. It's revealed at this point that Bart wasn't thrown into a portal, he was thrown into a bag of glow sticks, and the Marble people have him in a VR suit to teach him a lesson and prevent him from spoiling the movie.

Bart is captured by the bad guy but uses his slingshot to destroy the guy's all-powerful mobile phone.

One of the Vindicators is named Black Voodoo which seems kinda racist. Also Moe is dating Lunchlady Doris.

Guest voices: The Russo Brothers, Kevin Fiege, Cobie Smulders, and Taran Killam

I refuse to believe this is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

"Vindicators: Crystal War Part 1" (Marble Cinematic Universe)

They really have just stopped trying.

What's wrong with you? New episodes of the Simpsons should be considered torture under the Geneva Convention.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

American Dad seems to hold together better as a whole, though. Kinda funny that they realised with Roger a character who can be and do literally anyone and anything is absolutely perfect for an animated sitcom.

It's been a few years, but my favorite Roger moment was after he started a big rear end melee, his wig fell off and Francine suddenly recognizes him as Roger.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe the marble is planet earth and they're making a observation that marvel's basically got the world by the testicles

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been a few years, but my favorite Roger moment was after he started a big rear end melee, his wig fell off and Francine suddenly recognizes him as Roger.

What episode was this

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Marble

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

So the writers of the Simpsons have never seen Rick and Morty, or are they just so lazy they decided The Vindicators should be the stock name for all super hero parodies?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Smiling Mandrill posted:

So the writers of the Simpsons have never seen Rick and Morty, or are they just so lazy they decided The Vindicators should be the stock name for all super hero parodies?

I, too, read the start of that post and thought the gag was going to be that it's an episode summary from a completely different show.

My point is, the villain should have been Ned Flanos.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brofessor Slayton posted:

My point is, the villain should have been Ned Flanos.

Simpsons writers aren't that creative.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

With his mustache doing the :zoid: thing standing in for the chin joke

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Yeah I feel like they had plenty of time to change that.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm glad I stopped playing my little game where I get drunk and try to watch new Simpsons, this one would have caused me to drink in excess.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
loving hell.

Chinos.

Jesus Christ.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

They really have just stopped trying.

What's wrong with you? New episodes of the Simpsons should be considered torture under the Geneva Convention.

IIRC Roger has a few alter-egos that completely fool exactly one member of the Smith family, who otherwise are used to seeing through his disguises. (though they play along to kayfabe a lot of the time anyway, since Roger tends to get lost in character)

In general, American Dad seems to lend itself better to wacky plots, since between Stan's job at the CIA and Roger's whole thing they can accommodate more or less any setup fairly naturally, (not to mention the school principal being basically a GTA protagonist) but with plenty of room for mundane stuff as well.

I always feel like the core of a show's cast is how well they function as a toolkit for the kind of plots and setups you want to do, to make them feel natural and to be able to give each character something to do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I personally love American Dad but hate the Roger character plot device and the characters in the 12-13-14th seasons have all had episodes or jokes where the gag is they are meetting someone and right before it happens they go “oh this is just gonna be Roger” and then it is. That was funny once and they’ve done it like half a dozen times now.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 4, 2020

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hmm, everything you just typed was wrong

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Smiling Mandrill posted:

"Rick and Morty did it!"

we're through some strange window, here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure the Vindicators has already been the name for some obscure Marvel team. There's a lot of those.

Good superhero parodies are surprisingly hard to do. The Tick latest series (RIP) did a decent job in updating characters and introducing new ones to better fit the cinematic era of superheroes, complete with what turns out to be the equivalent of Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier with foreshadowing you can spot if you know what to look for. Often the best idea is just to establish something in-universe and keep using it with tweaks as necessary, since that's how superheroes already work.

Bust Rodd posted:

I personally love American Dad but hate the Roger character plot device and the characters in the 12-13-14th seasons have all had episodes or jokes where the gag is they are letting someone and right before it happens they go “oh this is just gonna be Roger” and then it is. That was funny once and they’ve done it like half a dozen times now.

I recall they did one where it turns out the character isn't Roger, and even Roger is surprised.

And they started out quickly running out of ideas of what to do with Klaus, and then decided to just make that part of the joke and have him do absolutely whatever.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I personally love American Dad but hate the Roger character plot device and the characters in the 12-13-14th seasons have all had episodes or jokes where the gag is they are meetting someone and right before it happens they go “oh this is just gonna be Roger” and then it is. That was funny once and they’ve done it like half a dozen times now.

And like 3/4ths of all episodes of the series' entire run have Roger as a plot device. There are clearly some talented writers behind American Dad, but it's SOO repetitive and restrained when it doesn't have to be.

This is like the 5th time the this thread has circled back around to American Dad, though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought that was Stanny Tendergrass, the episode with Mr. (Roger) Vanderhill is an old rich guy and Stan only recognizes him when he loses part of his costume.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Roger has a few alter-egos that completely fool exactly one member of the Smith family, who otherwise are used to seeing through his disguises.

As much as I love this concept, I thought the episode with Francine's friend Gina (Roger) Lavetti was kind of meh. It felt more about reminding the audience that he had one unidentifiable persona per member of the family than anything else, whereas Stanny Tendergrass was more about watching Roger & Steve troll Stan.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

And like 3/4ths of all episodes of the series' entire run have Roger as a plot device. There are clearly some talented writers behind American Dad, but it's SOO repetitive and restrained when it doesn't have to be.

I'll give you the fact that Roger as a plot device is common, but define "restrained".

quote:

This is like the 5th time the this thread has circled back around to American Dad, though.

Hasn't this thread talked about Cleveland Show too? At least American Dad is still on.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I still think Family Guy is funny.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'll give you the fact that Roger as a plot device is common, but define "restrained".

Hasn't this thread talked about Cleveland Show too? At least American Dad is still on.

Admittedly I haven't really watched American Dad much since it left FOX, and yes there are some brilliant episodes, but they constantly re-used the same conflicts and same basic premises, almost always involving Roger pulling a bait-and-switch against the family. Some people defend this as the show's hook, but to me it always came off as low effort and lazy. American Dad always felt to me like a designated copy and paste "filler"" show FOX just wanted churned out that just happened to have a talented staff that cared enough to insert quality when they could.

Edit: It's like if Futurama only ever did those more restrained episodes they'd do early on (like I, Roomate), when there was concern that the public wouldn't like something more abstract instead of the high-concept sci-fi adventures it became loved for. You can see the potential the show has, but it's usually just not going there.

I feel that Bob's Burgers fills a similar niche - it's good, but never steps outside the box it created and there are very few moments or episodes that stand out or are memorable. Contrast to classic Simpsons where nearly every episode has something memorable about it and it constantly surprised the audience by subverting expectations.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 4, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Marble....Chinos....Infinity Phone...

Help me out here, were there ever puns this bad in classic Simpsons when parody of something?

Canyonero, Globex, Bonestorm, Radioactive Man were all obviously parodies but they didn’t feel the need to make the most obvious and not at all funny puns.

How the gently caress do you in all seriousness write Mapple and Marble and not lose your job as a comedy screenwriter??

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
American Dad................................

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
..........................is good.

*drops mic*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WeaponX posted:

Marble....Chinos....Infinity Phone...

Help me out here, were there ever puns this bad in classic Simpsons when parody of something?

Canyonero, Globex, Bonestorm, Radioactive Man were all obviously parodies but they didn’t feel the need to make the most obvious and not at all funny puns.

How the gently caress do you in all seriousness write Mapple and Marble and not lose your job as a comedy screenwriter??

With Mapple it was at least a halfhearted self-deprecating joke, like the low-effortness of it was itself the funny. "We are literally doing Apple here, we're not even bothering to make it an allegory or some kind of veiled allusion, we're just making fun of iPhones and changing the name the tiniest little token amount so we can laugh at how transparent the effort is".

But then somewhere downstream of that they thought Mapple itself was a funny pun.

There it is, me defending Mapple era Simpsons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda the funny thing is that Radioactive Man actually is the name of a comic book character, though an obscure villain.

The Homer car reveal video trended on YouTube around the Tesla reveal, although older ones mention the Aztek, and make me wonder how long til they do a recycled version of that script if they hadn't already sucked off Elon Musk. That said, people miss the point of the original episode, that massive overhype for a car everyone immediately recognises as ridiculous is one of the oldest stories in the automobile industry in particular, and a result of engineers having to work with a clearly underqualified and unsupervised designer making a vanity project.

Of course, people also miss the point that Herb's no genius himself- Powell Motors is clearly a typical poorly run American car company where the CEO, board and engineers hate each other and can't communicate, with cost-cutting, poor market research and refusing to address obvious gaps in the market that the Japanese manufacturers are filling causing them to lose sales and put out badly thought out cars even with competent engineers, and putting Homer in a position he's obviously unqualified for then encouraging him to not take no for an answer. (and Homer even makes some suggestions that are now common in new cars, like the larger cupholder and built in video game system) Though they're still pretty on point with the Canyonero years later- massive, impractical and dangerous, but its consumers don't care.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 5, 2020

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Should have just called it Zapple and have the logo be an apple with a lightning bolt through it.

Or how about Grapple (grape-apple) and have the logo be similar to Apple’s, but purple?

What about Chapel and the logo is a small church-like building?

See, anything is better than goddamn MAPPLE.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Or call it Pear, Avacado for extra millennial points, Eris if you're being fancy.

Then again I have a feeling the writers stopped giving a poo poo decades ago.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Call it Granny Smith's and make the logo an antecedent to Mom from futurama

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda the funny thing is that Radioactive Man actually is the name of a comic book character, though an obscure villain.

The Homer car reveal video trended on YouTube around the Tesla reveal, although older ones mention the Aztek, and make me wonder how long til they do a recycled version of that script if they hadn't already sucked off Elon Musk. That said, people miss the point of the original episode, that massive overhype for a car everyone immediately recognises as ridiculous is one of the oldest stories in the automobile industry in particular, and a result of engineers having to work with a clearly underqualified and unsupervised designer making a vanity project.

Of course, people also miss the point that Herb's no genius himself- Powell Motors is clearly a typical poorly run American car company where the CEO, board and engineers hate each other and can't communicate, with cost-cutting, poor market research and refusing to address obvious gaps in the market that the Japanese manufacturers are filling causing them to lose sales and put out badly thought out cars even with competent engineers, and putting Homer in a position he's obviously unqualified for then encouraging him to not take no for an answer. (and Homer even makes some suggestions that are now common in new cars, like the larger cupholder and built in video game system) Though they're still pretty on point with the Canyonero years later- massive, impractical and dangerous, but its consumers don't care.

Honestly this kind of thing applies to most major companies in most major industries. This exact poo poo happens in the video game industry, the movie industry, mobile app store industry, etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly this kind of thing applies to most major companies in most major industries. This exact poo poo happens in the video game industry, the movie industry, mobile app store industry, etc.

Oh, absolutely. It's just kinda funny that Homer gets basically used as the scapegoat by everyone when honestly he's probably least at fault.

The writers might have had the Edsel in mind, which wasn't a bad car on a technical level, and had a lot of then-new features that would become standard, but was ugly, overpriced, overbuilt and frequently poorly constructed due to being rushed through the assembly lines.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

You Are A Elf posted:

Should have just called it Zapple and have the logo be an apple with a lightning bolt through it.

Or how about Grapple (grape-apple) and have the logo be similar to Apple’s, but purple?

What about Chapel and the logo is a small church-like building?

See, anything is better than goddamn MAPPLE.

These posts just show how easy it is to come up with dogshit ideas.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh, absolutely. It's just kinda funny that Homer gets basically used as the scapegoat by everyone when honestly he's probably least at fault.

The writers might have had the Edsel in mind, which wasn't a bad car on a technical level, and had a lot of then-new features that would become standard, but was ugly, overpriced, overbuilt and frequently poorly constructed due to being rushed through the assembly lines.

Homer Simpson is a brilliant man who has come up with many thought out, practical ideas, and is insuring the financial future of this company. And his personal hygiene is beyond reproach.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Not so much of a rewatch because I really can't recall seeing this, but I watched Homer's Night Out (S1E10, Homer gets photographed dancing with Princess Kashmir) yesterday. It's got the lowest IMDB rating of the first season and while I think it's better than Homer's Odyssey, a low rating is definitely reasonable. It's not that funny and it's another early episode that wallows in adult fear while not getting any jokes in the way Life On The Fast Lane managed to. The end is heavy handed with the morality speech too, it's not a good episode.

When Marge throws the tissues at Homer shouting 'If you have any soul left, you'll need these' :drat:

It's interesting that the episode came out in 1990 but the picture of Homer goes viral in a very 2010s kind of way. Most people have a bit of a giggle at it and move on but it's ruining Homer's life, it's almost better suited to having an iPhone and WhatsApp in it rather than a spy camera and a photocopier.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

WeaponX posted:

I wonder what the turnaround for episodes are. Obviously they're always eons out of date with their references, but at some point in the writers room they must lay down an idea (Avengers Parody) so how long do they have between that inception and having to hand over a final script?

I'm picturing it like a production line. A light flashes and a vacuum tube spits out an idea from the higher ups and some poor suckers have to hack out a script within a matter of hours in order to get it out to the animation sweatshop.

Because I cannot think of any other excuse as to why they would make a Thanos parody called Chinos.

edit:
Probably been spoiled by Venture Brothers tbf. Which is on the opposite end of the scale taking, on average, 12 years per season to come out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just figure they do not give a poo poo and put off everything to the very last hungover minute.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Talking about recycled plots, there's an episode coming up in a couple of weeks where Homer is jealous of Bart being mentored by Flanders, so he mentors Nelson to get even.

Drunken Baker posted:

I wonder what the turnaround for episodes are. Obviously they're always eons out of date with their references, but at some point in the writers room they must lay down an idea (Avengers Parody) so how long do they have between that inception and having to hand over a final script?

I'm picturing it like a production line. A light flashes and a vacuum tube spits out an idea from the higher ups and some poor suckers have to hack out a script within a matter of hours in order to get it out to the animation sweatshop.

Because I cannot think of any other excuse as to why they would make a Thanos parody called Chinos.

edit:
Probably been spoiled by Venture Brothers tbf. Which is on the opposite end of the scale taking, on average, 12 years per season to come out.

There are a lot of little Disney references popping up now. A couple weeks ago Patty and Selma joked that they weren't allowed to smoke since Disney bought them. This episode, the Marble corporate people planted a bomb in the Simpson house when they thought Bart would spoil their movie, and they decide not to use it and it goes from "armed" to "Disarmed" with the Disney D.

They got bought in like April 2019, so a little less than a year to be able to insert small jokes. Probably another whole year before they could do like an entire plot about Disney buying Krusty or whatever.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Admittedly I haven't really watched American Dad much since it left FOX, and yes there are some brilliant episodes, but they constantly re-used the same conflicts and same basic premises, almost always involving Roger pulling a bait-and-switch against the family.

Kinda, but they've decided to own it several years ago, and are intentionally going into weirder and more surreal places with it. I know that doesn't potentially sound amazing because we've all played games or seen shows where they intentionally do something bad or irritating and think it's OK because they're telling you they know it's bad and irritating at the same time (see: "ironic" escort missions in games), but American Dad nails it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

this episode is the first one that made me laugh until I hurt

[quote="PostNouveau" post=""503027243"]
Probably another whole year before they could do like an entire plot about Disney buying Krusty or whatever.
[/quote]

Misney

fake edit: and their mascot, Mmickey Mmouse

second fake edit: *mmascot