Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Is that Ed O'Neil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

It's rad that we can make these new kinds of complex escher things, but it hurts my soul to know that when I look at it, the crazy warped assembly my mind tells me is the only possible way for it to happen, and is therefore impossible...is actually the way it's happening. :smith:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cya shitlords

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

"I must go. My planet needs me."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Is that Ed O'Neil?

Well, knock-off Ed O'Neil.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

The gently caress? How does a whale with baleen get years upon years of scars from what look like squid suckers?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

The gently caress? How does a whale with baleen get years upon years of scars from what look like squid suckers?

Oceanic fight clubs.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Just Offscreen posted:

You think colossal squid care with whom they try to tussle with?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Imgur comments believe it to be from barnacles.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just Offscreen posted:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cartoon Man posted:

Imgur comments believe it to be from barnacles.

Barnacles generally leave a round scar where all tissue within said circle is scarred. The ring scars are probably squid, as the middle of the suckers do no damage, but the edge of the sucker is lined with hooks that will leave that sort of damage pattern.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They're just whale freckles.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Barnacles generally leave a round scar where all tissue within said circle is scarred. The ring scars are probably squid, as the middle of the suckers do no damage, but the edge of the sucker is lined with hooks that will leave that sort of damage pattern.

That's what I thought too- I assumed baleen whales lacked the ability to dive down deep enough to tangle with a giant squid. Stands to reason that if they dive down for smaller squid shoals then they would bump into the larger ones I suppose, but I'm having trouble visualizing how it could eat one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squids are whale racists and all whales look the same to them

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/AAaxJ3X.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Cookie cutter sharks?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/32zrq93.mp4
Now you know.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
For some reason I just thought they relieved themselves while flying.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Android Apocalypse posted:

For some reason I just thought they relieved themselves while flying.

You ever try droppin' a duece while hang-gliding. poo poo ain't easy, man.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Do you think that's a deliberate shake to dry off or do all animals get pee shivers? Are there scientists studying the prevalence of pee shivers in animals? I'm just curious for laughs haha.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think it was one of the BBC nature docs that had some great footage of bats drinking in flight. Some bats will fly low over water and dip their mouths in to get a quick drink. Others will land and lap up water. Some species though will fly low over water, then drop down and splash their bellies in the water. They return home, hang upside down, and lap up the water as it drips down off their bellies.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

I've actually seen them do this at the zoo, so I already knew. :smuggo:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Moly B. Denum posted:

I've actually seen them do this at the zoo, so I already knew. :smuggo:

Look at this pervert admitting they "get smug" about watching bats go to the toilet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/1jAqBfo.mp4

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Once saw a huge airliner do something similar to that and it broke my brain

Looked like it was just hovering in the air like a blimp

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8eXzjdu.gifv

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

The old ones are coming

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it was one of the BBC nature docs that had some great footage of bats drinking in flight. Some bats will fly low over water and dip their mouths in to get a quick drink. Others will land and lap up water. Some species though will fly low over water, then drop down and splash their bellies in the water. They return home, hang upside down, and lap up the water as it drips down off their bellies.

Dunno about that footage specifically but this was covered in the Australia episode of the recent Seven Worlds, One Planet BBC doco series with David Attenborough. It's probably the best wildlife doco series I've seen, definitely worth a watch

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Some species though will fly low over water, then drop down and splash their bellies in the water. They return home, hang upside down, and lap up the water as it drips down off their bellies.

Gonna have to try that one at the bar sometime.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

All the information coming out about the new MS Flight Sim makes me wonder if you can do this in the game as well.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Man bats really lucked out in the evolution department. They got little graspers on their wings and can fly, while birds have to touch everything with their beaks or their walking feet. Are bats really dumb to compensate or did birds just get a raw deal?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mauser posted:

Man bats really lucked out in the evolution department. They got little graspers on their wings and can fly, while birds have to touch everything with their beaks or their walking feet. Are bats really dumb to compensate or did birds just get a raw deal?

Well, apart from fruit bats, birds got all the beauty and charisma. People love birds, but unfortunately most people hate bats. So they each have their plusses and minuses.

Who could hate this face though.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/l4rabee.gifv

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2URtcyV.mp4

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Once saw a huge airliner do something similar to that and it broke my brain

Looked like it was just hovering in the air like a blimp

This is a thing in OKC (I assume other windy places, as well?) for banner-flying planes in the spring and fall. I'll grab a clip from my dashcam next time they're out. Extremely unsettling seeing it from the ground for the first time in morning rush hour, just floating over downtown.

e: wait, in the right conditions, can you, uh, put a plane in reverse?

e2: yes, slowly

Handiklap has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Mar 6, 2020

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Handiklap posted:

This is a thing in OKC (I assume other windy places, as well?) for banner-flying planes in the spring and fall. I'll grab a clip from my dashcam next time they're out. Extremely unsettling seeing it from the ground for the first time in morning rush hour, just floating over downtown.

e: wait, in the right conditions, can you, uh, put a plane in reverse?

e2: yes, slowly

What airplanes care about is the speed of the air over the wings, not the speed over the ground, so the ground speed can be whatever you like as long as you’re flying into enough headwind

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

oh nooo :aaa:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/0Vww91X.mp4
:cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

dupersaurus posted:

What airplanes care about is the speed of the air over the wings, not the speed over the ground, so the ground speed can be whatever you like as long as you’re flying into enough headwind

So you're saying we need to raise the treadmill?

e: feeling really good about this not being a lovely snipe in the gif thread