Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think a replicator would be the same thing every time. With how much storage they have, it wouldn't be that hard to have whatever chef came up with it to just make 10 different versions over the course of a month or whatever and just randomly pick one of those each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

People think purple ketchup tastes gross, even when the only thing different is that it's purple. People's other perceptions play a huge role in how they perceive taste.

Did you know that you can make wine taste better to someone just by telling them it's expensive? Even if it's the same wine but between glasses you say this is the "special vintage".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'll have to rewatch, but it really seemed like she was absolutely mystified by "eggs...plus flour...equals cookie???" part.

Regardless, it's a super minor thing, but the thread's been quiet the last few days :v:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah I don’t see why multiple recipes or variations of a dish could not be programmed into the replicators. Nothing I’ve seen would indicate it’s impossible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

piratepilates posted:

People think purple ketchup tastes gross, even when the only thing different is that it's purple. People's other perceptions play a huge role in how they perceive taste.

Did you know that you can make wine taste better to someone just by telling them it's expensive? Even if it's the same wine but between glasses you say this is the "special vintage".

Yea this is what I think it is too. I bet if you told someone you made their dinner from scratch, they would love it (even if you replicated it 20 seconds beforehand).

Now I'm imagining restaurants that put on a whole show about "cooking" but they actually reheat frozen meals replicate meals before serving them.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah people complain about recipes in the replicator not being quite right (because of course how could they ever be right to everyone) and there's probably all kinds of dietary concessions programmed into Starfleet ship replicators to stop your crew getting fat* and sassy that are probably indistinguishable to the majority of people. But there's nothing stopping you replicating the raw ingredients and cooking it to your liking or just programming your own recipes in.

*later seasons Riker probably using some command privileges there.

That seems to be what the scene with Jurati and Maddox is going for, adding that personal flair instead of someone else's recipe. But the way it plays does make it seem more like the perception/placebo effect, and maybe that's what they wanted or maybe they just didn't quite get what similar scenes in previous shows were going for - that humanity will still crave challenge and nostalgia.

That's what I like about Sisko's restaurant, it's basically a working museum for folks wanting an old fashioned dining experience with everything cooked from scratch. It's like going to a renaissance fair and getting some pig on a spit, except y'know, baller Creole cuisine instead.

By contrast, the Mars workers aren't complaining about their pie not being quite how momma used to make or even getting coke zero instead of sugar, they're getting microwaved Hungry-Man Dinners #13B for some reason. No it's not a massive deal in isolation, but it could just as easily have been a scene where the small talk is about Chief What's-his-face adding his famous ragu to the menu or something. I'm more skeptical of this scene since all the characters in it are also framed as casually racist, blue collar schmoes, so maybe we're supposed to cheer (just a little) when the Android puts a mining laser through their necks.

The show has far worse issues with tone and setting but since we're talking about replicators, that scene had a number of the little things that are adding up to a cynical view of the future the franchise spent years establishing. Felt more like the space communism as envisioned by that chud in the Havana supermarket photo. I doubt it's all intentional, and this mixed messaging is probably more the byproduct of relying on familiar and cliche stock characters you'd pull out of the bag for a Law and Order or Hawaii Five-O cold open.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 3, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea this is what I think it is too. I bet if you told someone you made their dinner from scratch, they would love it (even if you replicated it 20 seconds beforehand).

Now I'm imagining restaurants that put on a whole show about "cooking" but they actually reheat frozen meals replicate meals before serving them.

You mean Applebees?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

By contrast, the Mars workers aren't complaining about their pie not being quite how momma used to make or even getting coke zero instead of sugar, they're getting microwaved Hungry-Man Dinners #13B for some reason. No it's not a massive deal in isolation, but it could just as easily have been a scene where the small talk is about Chief What's-his-face adding his famous ragu to the menu or something. I'm more skeptical of this scene since all the characters in it are also framed as casually racist, blue collar schmoes, so maybe we're supposed to cheer (just a little) when the Android puts a mining laser through their necks.

The show has far worse issues with tone and setting but since we're talking about replicators, that scene had a number of the little things that are adding up to a cynical view of the future the franchise spent years establishing. Felt more like the space communism as envisioned by that chud in the Havana supermarket photo. I doubt it's all intentional, and this mixed messaging is probably more the byproduct of relying on familiar and cliche stock characters you'd pull out of the bag for a Law and Order or Hawaii Five-O cold open.

Yeah. The thing is, if the show just made the Dominion War a parallel to WW1 and had a couple of scenes to that effect in the opening episodes I'd be fine with it. Say that Starfleet lost 90% of the pre-war fleet, the professional core was hollowed out and a huge proportion of Federation citizenry who volunteered to fight because they're patriotic and the Fleet needed warm bodies are traumatised from having watched their friends get carved up by genetically engineered killing machines. The fleet is a shadow of what it once was, half the Federation core worlds have various Dominion-caused disasters that will take years to rebuild from, and nobody wants any more foreign adventures.

There, I can buy into the premise of Picard now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chabon says he considers the trauma and impact of the Dominion War a huge part of the cause of the Federation's pullout, but that references were cut because they didn't want to overload compulsory past references for viewers. Which... ehh. If it was that integral it would've been natural to work in.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 4, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Chabon says he considers the trauma and impact of the Dominion War a huge part of the cause of the Federation's pullout, but that references were cut because they didn't want to overload compulsory past references for viewers. Which... ehh. If it was that integral it would've been natural to work in.

Hopefully that's something they go into in Season 2 then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I will never understand the weird mix of underexplaining the unclear and overexplaining the obvious television shows love to provide

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Someone should tell them they are on the 'pretty much just star trek' streaming service.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Most tv viewers are idiots and I could absolutely believe some exec saw the DS9/Dominion references in the script and said something like “DS9? Nobody watched that! Cut it.”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And a few others where he talks about the backstory with reference to the Federation being seriously hosed by the Dominion War

I could believe 'wiser heads' means studio, but even without using the word Dominion it seems like references to 'the war' and its impact during the argument with the admiral or the news interview would've flowed naturally and set up the situation better. Ominous mention of 'the war' are pretty much standard lexicon for sci-fi.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 4, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I briefly hoped that I might see Cirroc Lofton on Picard as a contrasting anti-failson to Wesley, who also needs to come back long enough for us to make fun of him for being so loving awful. Why does goddamn Voyager get love and fuckall for the best Trek series.

I guess the next show will be an Enterprise spinoff, which I wouldn't hate.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Organic Lube User posted:

...Why does goddamn Voyager get love and fuckall for the best Trek series.

I ...

Because it's somehow the most popular Trek after TNG.

I don't get it either.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

8one6 posted:

I don't get it either.

At least they brutally murdered Icheb. Always hated that little poo poo. But the only way to actually redeem themselves is to bring back and kill Neelix.

I thought the borg-scavenging lady looked a lot like Troi when she would try to dress all horny when some space creep was mind raping her or whatever it was. At first I thought it WAS Troi.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 4, 2020

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah I’m sorry to say, and I find it hard to believe this is news to anyone, but most television (and now maybe especially $$$ franchise television) is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to broaden and refresh its fan base.

Most of us here are not the lowest common denominator.

So of course the studio, and Kurtzman, and Goldsman want to include as few references as possible to television shows that aired 20 years ago or more except for ones that younger people already know as memes like “tea, early grey hot.”

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah I’m sorry to say, and I find it hard to believe this is news to anyone, but most television (and now maybe especially $$$ franchise television) is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to broaden and refresh its fan base.

Most of us here are not the lowest common denominator.

So of course the studio, and Kurtzman, and Goldsman want to include as few references as possible to television shows that aired 20 years ago or more except for ones that younger people already know as memes like “tea, early grey hot.”

Shut up and let me pretend that artistic integrity still has a place in Are Society.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Shut up and let me pretend that artistic integrity still has a place in Are Society.

I was in middle school when Voyager dedicated itself to maintaining the artistic integrity of the franchise.

I really appreciated the nuanced approach they took compared to other UPN shows like Deadly Games, 7 Days, or Homeboys in Outer Space.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 4, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

You'd think they'd care more about

That said, the big Voyager stuff in Picard is all Seven related and Seven was an insanely popular character.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MikeJF posted:

Nielsen ratings are bullshit of course, but that DS9 decline :stare:

People often just don’t know how good they have it at the time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How does that decline compare to the general decline in tv viewers? No Star Trek is getting those TNG numbers ever again.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

That said, the big Voyager stuff in Picard is all Seven related and Seven was an insanely popular character.

This was a more recent gauge of what people had been watching (from 2017)

If anything in makes the Borg and Seven thing even more obvious.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
:negative:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Surprised to see Time and Again on there, hardly the most spectacular of episodes. I mean it was good but not particularly memorable, I thought.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Man I love statistics. They are so true, so correct and so irrelevant sometimes

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Surprised to see Time and Again on there, hardly the most spectacular of episodes. I mean it was good but not particularly memorable, I thought.

IIRC that was because the poll skipped the first and second episode of each series, so I guess people got as far as Time and Again before realising Voyager was poo poo and gave up?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I guess the next show will be an Enterprise spinoff, which I wouldn't hate.

As long as they don't center it around USS Challenger, which blows up halfway through the first season and is replaced with USS Endeavour.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zaroff posted:

IIRC that was because the poll skipped the first and second episode of each series, so I guess people got as far as Time and Again before realising Voyager was poo poo and gave up?

I said it was good :colbert:

E: and so was Parallax

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so according to that graph the highest rated episode of star trek (other than TOS) by a good margin is the DS9 pilot. it even beats the TNG finale.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm caught up on Picard and, between being mystified at how much of a hilarious rear end in a top hat Daddy they're writing Picard as and the offhand revelation that Romulan names follow jellicle rules, I just gotta say: lmao, the gently caress is going on

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I think I liked it better when mostly all Romulans were imperious assholes.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Man I love statistics. They are so true, so correct and so irrelevant sometimes

I would bet theres a non-zero chance that it has something to do with people with insomnia putting stuff on to try to fall asleep to.

I use Voyager to help me sleep CONSTANTLY. I've probably watched it through dozens of times. There's something about the way the sound is mixed where it never snaps you out of a daze, and the music not being jarring in the theme or end credits.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Well it's most re-watched episodes, so they knew what they were in for already.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

marktheando posted:

Well it's most re-watched episodes, so they knew what they were in for already.

They just keep trying to get past that episode over and over and over again for an eternity. It's like a level in Dante's hell.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noise Complaint posted:

I would bet theres a non-zero chance that it has something to do with people with insomnia putting stuff on to try to fall asleep to.

I use Voyager to help me sleep CONSTANTLY. I've probably watched it through dozens of times. There's something about the way the sound is mixed where it never snaps you out of a daze, and the music not being jarring in the theme or end credits.

oh yeah for sure. star trek in general is my #1 going to sleep show, because it is very low impact and often not so interesting i actually want to rewatch the episode. oftentimes i'll put an episode on a tablet in bed and just close my eyes, then hit the power off button when i'm close to snoozing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s a LOT of old trek episodes that work fine as radio drama/watching with eyes closed

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
As a kid in the 90s they aired TNG reruns at 11:30p every night. I fell asleep to Star Trek for most of puberty.

Hell yeah for having a tv in my room.

My kids are not allowed to since I maybe got 5 hours of sleep a night for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Noise Complaint posted:

I need that magic Soji's mom video call.