Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

The Big Jesus posted:

That's why you don't get your room serviced and get the extra points.

This is mainly a scam by the hotels to reduce their need for already underpaid service staff right? I get my room serviced every day, plus try and tip and expense $10/day for the staff. The 500 points or whatever just isn’t worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I can’t expense that and I also don’t usually see the point of having my room serviced every day. Personal preference I guess.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

I can’t expense that and I also don’t usually see the point of having my room serviced every day. Personal preference I guess.
Same, and same. Unless I'm staying in the same room for a week, I put the "do not disturb" sign up when I get there, and it doesn't come down until I check out.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

ScooterMcTiny posted:

This is mainly a scam by the hotels to reduce their need for already underpaid service staff right? I get my room serviced every day, plus try and tip and expense $10/day for the staff. The 500 points or whatever just isn’t worth it.

I wouldn't say it's a scam as it's pretty overt that that's what they're doing. I just don't like my poo poo hosed with (esp tucking my bed back in) and don't need more than the supplies I've already been given as I'm only there for 72 hours.

Even before you got points back for it I'd throw the DND sign up on day one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Same, and same. Unless I'm staying in the same room for a week, I put the "do not disturb" sign up when I get there, and it doesn't come down until I check out.

:same:

Also, I’m going to San Francisco 3/24-3/26, staying in union square. Not looking for bars or anything, but good, cheap food. Can be restaurants, but I don’t want to spend a fortune. Perhaps a wine bar with not mass produced Napa wines.

I’ve done the touristy San Fran stuff before, so maybe some lesser known touristy things to do would be a good suggestion as well.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
We closed two big thai clients that im personally overseeing all projects for and im supposed to go shake hands and kiss babies and do some general account management in Thailand and it was projected late april /early may and im not sure what the deal is with that or how to play it.

Im going to directly ask the COO to cover my medical expenses if i get sick over there though....i was gunna effort post for some traveling in thailand advice and ask about uber/hotels/etc but now im just concerned about how to handle the travel situation both internally and externally (w the client) considering this whole virus deal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Also, I’m going to San Francisco 3/24-3/26, staying in union square. Not looking for bars or anything, but good, cheap food. Can be restaurants, but I don’t want to spend a fortune. Perhaps a wine bar with not mass produced Napa wines.

I’ve done the touristy San Fran stuff before, so maybe some lesser known touristy things to do would be a good suggestion as well.

Wander chinatown - it's right there. This covers both awesome things to do/see as well as really great cheap food - look in the alleyways away from the main drag for more interesting choices.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

having fresh sheets and a made bed every day is absolutely worth the five bucks in points to me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Waroduce posted:

We closed two big thai clients that im personally overseeing all projects for and im supposed to go shake hands and kiss babies and do some general account management in Thailand and it was projected late april /early may and im not sure what the deal is with that or how to play it.

Im going to directly ask the COO to cover my medical expenses if i get sick over there though....i was gunna effort post for some traveling in thailand advice and ask about uber/hotels/etc but now im just concerned about how to handle the travel situation both internally and externally (w the client) considering this whole virus deal.

i'm gonna bet that won't happen so i wouldnt book travel. a bunch of our big global clients just went on travel hold for the foreseeable future

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mandalay posted:

Yeah, that’s wild being able to expense tips to the housekeeping staff. That comes out of pocket for me.

Geneva got cancelled :(

But it means an extra week at home and a chance to catch up on a huge backlog of “poo poo I have to write”.

NGL, I’m kinda sad and also wanted those tier points.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm suppose to be traveling to Houston and Los Angeles in two weeks. London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt in April.

Please don't ruin my trip Coronavirus :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 29, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KillHour posted:

That industry is filled with old, racist union guys. Literally nobody is surprised by this.

Hey, that's not true. Large chunks of it are rabidly anti-union too.

Inner Light posted:

What is the quiet part they are saying loud?

Racist bits I have heard people say range from the Chinese not bathing to it being deliberately designed bioterror weapons. Basically take all of the usual anti-Chinese poo poo and go for it. I've shut down those discussions in class but it's been a bit like playing whack-a-mole.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If covid 19 is a bioweapon, it's the best worst bioweapon ever created.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

Wine bar: The Barrel Room is 3/4 of a mile from Union Square. Right now they are working Southern Italian wines. I can't tell if "not mass produced Napa wines" means all wine bars are filled with the same Napa wines, so not those", or you're looking for rare Napa wines. Prices are pretty SF/California.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Boot and Rally posted:

Wine bar: The Barrel Room is 3/4 of a mile from Union Square. Right now they are working Southern Italian wines. I can't tell if "not mass produced Napa wines" means all wine bars are filled with the same Napa wines, so not those", or you're looking for rare Napa wines. Prices are pretty SF/California.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll try it out. I guess what I mean is not the brands you see at the grocery store here in Florida that advertise as from Napa or Sonoma.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

some mother fucker on my flight is snoring like a god drat saw mill

i will kill him

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i will kill him

Enough to cut through your ear plugs?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i will kill him

Where were you flying? It might have been me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone had Flagship First Dining recently?

Looks like they kept the Krug but got rid of the Cos d’Estournel Bordeaux for some Napa Valley poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Warbird posted:

Where were you flying? It might have been me.

BOS-DTW

there was also some gently caress face squishing up his water bottle and and un-squishing it (not really sure how to describe but it made an annoying popping sound) dogg what the gently caress is wrong with you

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll try it out. I guess what I mean is not the brands you see at the grocery store here in Florida that advertise as from Napa or Sonoma.

Barrel Room is a legit wine bar and doesn’t usually pour grocery store wines.

My company has grounded all non-essential domestic work travel. We also cancelled/virtualized a smaller public conference we were hosting.

The small business segment sales managers obviously tried to creatively interpret the email only for it to be smacked down by c-level execs lol. Your $100k deal doesn’t mean poo poo buddy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

^same deal with my company. Employees who take a domestic flight or bus/train trip have to self quarantine for at least 48 hours which is a tempting amount of wfh time to get a jump start on spring yard work and the annual big March meetings are going to be done via Zoom presentations.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Our travel restrictions didn’t get put in place until after I took off for São Paulo but my home city is now ground zero for the boomer apocalypse. I left my kids with my grandparents and brought my wife with me on this trip will let everyone know how “I don’t feel safe returning home I think we will live in the Grand Hyatt until this all dies down” *files expense report, eats beef* goes.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Why bother?

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Democratic Pirate posted:

^same deal with my company. Employees who take a domestic flight or bus/train trip have to self quarantine for at least 48 hours which is a tempting amount of wfh time to get a jump start on spring yard work and the annual big March meetings are going to be done via Zoom presentations.

So anyone that commutes by train or bus gets to WFH indefinitely?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So far travel hasn't been restricted for us. But I am getting my cell blow up with texts from people telling me a coronavirus case passed through RDU.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

cheque_some posted:

So anyone that commutes by train or bus gets to WFH indefinitely?

This is in Texas, bus or train commuters is probably .5% of the employee base.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Still on track to fly to DFW for a conference the week of the 23rd. However, my work has asked me to work from home since my in-laws from S. Korea are flying in on Thursday.

Thomamelas posted:

So far travel hasn't been restricted for us. But I am getting my cell blow up with texts from people telling me a coronavirus case passed through RDU.

Same. I did some digging, apparently he passed through on a Saturday and I breezed through the following Monday so I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The Coronavirus-apocalypse hysteria is reaching epic levels. What would be a mild flu for most - assuming you had symptoms at all - has been drummed up to zombie apocalypse levels.

They haven't cancelled the NAB show in Vegas yet but I am sure it's coming. Not that I like going anyway so...net win? Looking at the bright side here; I've been home for two straight weeks!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Ixian posted:

The Coronavirus-apocalypse hysteria is reaching epic levels. What would be a mild flu for most - assuming you had symptoms at all - has been drummed up to zombie apocalypse levels.

They haven't cancelled the NAB show in Vegas yet but I am sure it's coming. Not that I like going anyway so...net win? Looking at the bright side here; I've been home for two straight weeks!

We use NAB for corporate meetings and if NAB gets cancelled, I'm sure we're still going to Las Vegas. womp womp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CONEXPO is next week in Las Vegas, still not canceled, and I'm supposed to meet with a bunch of Chinese dudes. Not sure if they are gonna be able to make it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm scheduled to go to a conference in SF the same week as Google I/O in Mountain View, which was just cancelled. Starting to wonder if that'll happen

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Ixian posted:

COVID-19 is significantly worse than the flu in vulnerable populations. But let's just say that it's not - we'll assume for a second it's just exactly as bad as plain old influenza. The flu kills hundreds of thousands of people per year. It's not possible to contain it, so we just deal with the fallout with better-than-nothing drugs and vaccines. If it's possible to contain a new virus that does the same thing, that's absolutely worth taking drastic measures like "use Zoom if you can, and here's a pre-baked excuse to WFH" for a few weeks.

It's probably not going to be contained at this point, but that's just because a bunch of loving idiots seem to be making decisions based on, "oh, it's just a case of the flu, there's nothing to be worried about." Don't go get in fistfights over toilet paper or bottled water, but it really is a serious situation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

can we get back to the important questions like if I am going to have to suffer through a 55 dollar bottle of red or if they have another 100+ dollar bottle now that the Bordeaux is off the menu

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It’ll taste different to how it tastes on the ground because of cabin pressure so drink on.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

You all seem to know wine pretty well. I've had a lot of trouble telling a $3 bottle from a $30 bottle from a $100 bottle.... is there something you'd recommend I try to fix that or am I pretty much broken?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

consider yourself fortunate

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
NHWS still on track for May and I've got another Vegas trip on the 30th. Any excuse to skip socializing and get wasted in a hotel room isn't the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, consider yourself lucky.

But if you really want to know throw (expense lol) a dinner party and get 4 bottles of red that are well reviewed at less than $10, $20, $80 and $200. lYou’ll find that you might like the $14 of Mark West more than the $40 bottle of whatever blend your local wine store recommended. But I’d struggle to imagine you’d pick that when you taste a really good vintage from a first or second growth Bordeaux.

FunOne posted:

skip socializing and get wasted in a hotel room

You, uh, ok there buddy?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 4, 2020