Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Viewfinder options on Fujis are:

EVF on eye sensor

The last is what I use the most. But I also instinctively switch off the camera whenever I lower it.

That option is less useful than it sounds. They sensor that turns the EVF on and off is hecking sensitive.

Best option is just to keep your camera off when you're not using it. Boot time is fast enough that you're not going to miss any shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ugh whatever jeez posted:

I have tasted Sony's face and eye AF with A7 III and I want to use it for every event with people. And that's just with some adapted Canon glass :psyduck:

And coming off my D610 with a screw-driven AF lens, the AF speed on the A7iii with eye-af and my 24-105 f/4 is like MAGIC

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh yea the EVF is far more high res than the LCD. It’s not size but pixel density and refresh rate that chews up batteries.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How long do the X100-series tend to last with the LCD off and just using the OFV? I could see that significantly improve the battery life for mirrorless without needing to worry about turning the camera on/off all the time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CodfishCartographer posted:

How long do the X100-series tend to last with the LCD off and just using the OFV? I could see that significantly improve the battery life for mirrorless without needing to worry about turning the camera on/off all the time.
I've literally never run down my X100F's battery even when on vacation. I'm not one of those people who takes 400+ pictures a day, though and I'll top it up with a USB battery when I'm taking a break. I also pretty much always turn it off if I'm not using it, it starts up near-instantly.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 2, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I've literally never run down my X100F's battery even when on vacation. I'm not one of those people who takes 400+ pictures a day, though and I'll top it up with a USB battery when I'm taking a break. I also pretty much always turn it off if I'm not using it, it starts up near-instantly.

Honestly, for some reason I just have a weird obsession with using a digital rangefinder like a film camera - no LCD stuff, just leaving it mostly analog, just with a digital sensor + memory card.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honestly, for some reason I just have a weird obsession with using a digital rangefinder like a film camera - no LCD stuff, just leaving it mostly analog, just with a digital sensor + memory card.

If you exclusively used the optical viewfinder and kept the screen off you could do that, I think you can turn off everything on the overlay except maybe the framing and focus area indicators.

edit: I just checked and you can turn off everything except the framing indicator but using it without the focus indicator is super confusing. There's just a dot in the corner that turns green when it's focused but no indication of on what.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 2, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

qirex posted:

If you exclusively used the optical viewfinder and kept the screen off you could do that, I think you can turn off everything on the overlay except maybe the framing and focus area indicators.

edit: I just checked and you can turn off everything except the framing indicator but using it without the focus indicator is super confusing. There's just a dot in the corner that turns green when it's focused but no indication of on what.

Yeah I'd be down to leave framelines and focusing aids and stuff like that. I've had my eye on the x100 series for a while now, and am tempted to pick up the X100V, so maybe I'll play around with doing that. Especially if it'll make the battery last practically forever, since I'm terrible at remembering to charge them!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Aargh posted:

Better your battery than your arm.

I kinda feel the weight argument has always been a little mis-sold when it comes to mirrorless. When Mirrorless took off I remember seeing all these promises about lower weight lenses and that's simply not happened. As for the cameras themselves, its less than 100g a lot of the time, not the great selling point it was originally promised to be (especially when you have to take around a second battery).

I'm excited for the newer batteries that are appearing now though, the X-T4 500ish shots is a lot more interesting to me as someone who's used to charging their DLSR once a week and was the only thing holding me back from jumping into mirrorless with both feet (I already have a little fuji xf10 in my bag at all times but my main body is still a DSLR).

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 3, 2020

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I kinda feel the weight argument has always been a little mis-sold when it comes to mirrorless. When Mirrorless took off I remember seeing all these promises about lower weight lenses and that's simply not happened. As for the cameras themselves, its less than 100g a lot of the time, not the great selling point it was originally promised to be (especially when you have to take around a second battery).

I mean it depends on the lens doesn’t it? If your walking around with the 100-400 on the front of that thing it’s going to be heavy. The f2 lenses and the kit lens, in particular are much lighter than their DSLR counterparts. If you’re using the red badge lenses, then yeah, more glass = more weight.

If what you want is a featherweight camera package you need to look at MFT and specifically Panasonic. The lenses are plastic and you can hold like 5 in one hand.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

I think that's true if you are comparing full-frame mirrorless with full-frame DSLRs. There's going to be a lot of heft in a full-frame camera even if youtake the prism and mirror assembly out. Big sensors that are continually recording need big heatsinks. Then you need all the other processing stuff that goes with a full-frame pro-tier experience. A mirrorless lens should also be somehwat larger than a DSLR lens because the flange distance is shorter, so the image circle has to be bigger (or rather the same size but at a shorter focal distance, which is almost the same thing).

If you look at APS-C mirrorless though there absolutely is a difference. I look at Fuji stuff and it's not even funny how much smaller and lighter it is than an enthusiast-tier DSLR. Then as said there's the µ4/rds stuff which, at the lower end is almost small enough to be a choking hazard.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 3, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone know what mpx the 50mm and 70mm equivalent digital zooms are on the x100v? I can't seem to find out via googling, nor can I find the formula - just lots of dumbass arguments about whether 35mm or 50mm is the "better" focal length.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Not necessarily exact but assuming the lens/sensor is 35mm full frame equivalent, it would be 26*(35/50)^2 = 12.74 MP and 26*(35/70)^2 = 6.5 MP. Crop factor is the linear size ratio of sensor size or crop and also multiple of focal length for comparison.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Tempted to get the 16-80mm kit with the Xt4 since I was eyeing that lens anyways and saving a few hundred doing that would be nice.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I ordered a quick disconnect Gordy camera strap for my xpro and I’m surprised at how nice it feels in both comfort and strength

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Renting out an EM-1 Mk III + 12-100 F4 lens to try out during a trip to Moab later this month.

Really excited to try out the 80 MP high resolution mode and Live Composite/Starry AF features.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I ordered a quick disconnect Gordy camera strap for my xpro and I’m surprised at how nice it feels in both comfort and strength

Finding straps I really liked made me take my camera out more. I use DSPTCH and Simplr, unfortunately DSPTCH changed their connectors so they're not cross compatible any more but they're still good straps.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm still sometimes surprised "full frame" and "crop" are standard terms in a day and age where a) there are multiple sub 35mm system sensor sizes, b) none of the sub 35mm systems are actually crop systems anymore, and c) medium format is making a push towards the prosumer space. Today is one of those days. Anyway, carry on.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Everyone should just get Pnetax Qs

Thoren
May 28, 2008

This is how I liked to shoot my F. It works well with decent light. You are essentially trusting your autofocus to do its job every time. The only challenge is predicting where the parallax lines will go, but you do get used to it. As for battery life, it's very good. So much so that I never really thought about it. At most I would pop in a second battery, usually because I forgot to charge the first one...

If you like the OVF, the X100V has an autofocus range limiter so you can technically keep the parallax lines more restricted for easier framing. The only drawback is that it does not work with face/eye tracking, which is insanely accurate with this camera.

Admittedly I have barely used the OVF yet, because the EVF is ridiculously smooth with boost mode on.

edit: Oh yeah, just to share, the V is much better at autofocusing in the dark than the F. It might actually be the biggest improvement between the cameras.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Mine just arrived. Get to go fetch it from the post office this afternoon.

I've never been so excited to get a 10 year old camera.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

bloops posted:

Renting out an EM-1 Mk III + 12-100 F4 lens to try out during a trip to Moab later this month.

Really excited to try out the 80 MP high resolution mode and Live Composite/Starry AF features.

Be sure to set the sharpening higher on the hi res shots when processing, they can take it and give great results.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Be sure to set the sharpening higher on the hi res shots when processing, they can take it and give great results.

Good to know. Have you done any astro?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just once, and upon getting home I realized that I had missed the focus just enough that it was infuriating. I wasn't able to get the hi res mode working at night since the long exposure times, repeated, made for smeared stars. It's something I'd like to try again once it's summer.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

XBenedict posted:

Mine just arrived. Get to go fetch it from the post office this afternoon.

I've never been so excited to get a 10 year old camera.

Hell yes, I'm jealous. What lenses did you get with it?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Legitimately thought it was some cheap knock-off Chinese Pentax camera that had gotten good reviews for the price.

(Also good username-post-combo)

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
How many people use back button focus? Is it worth doing?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I used to be a big fan of BBF on my DSLRs with slow screw drive motors but switched to regular focus-for-dummies on my mirrorless setups.

There’s benefit to decoupling shutter from focus, but whether it’s worth doing is probably entirely dependant on your style of shooting, what you’re shooting, and maybe the performance of your autofocus. IMO, of course.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

teraflame posted:

I do, I like having the focus separate the shutter button. I find BBF and recompose nicer than using the joystick to move AF points around. If I shot fast moving stuff I would probably feel differently.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

teraflame posted:

The shutter button by default does 3 things. Meter, focus, shutter. Half click for meter is great, but I frequently don't want the focus point to be the point metered, so having BBF (I actually have mine mapped to a button on the front of my XH1 that my middle finger rests on) lets me pick and choose. I keep my buttons set so that when I'm in completely automatic mode to hand to strangers, it keeps focus on the shutter button.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Hell yes, I'm jealous. What lenses did you get with it?

Just the 02. I just ordered the 01, and I may get the 06, but I'm also ordering an M42 adapter.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

teraflame posted:

Back when I was shooting birds with my 7D it was a must. Now that I've gotten away from that I just use shutter button focus.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have my A7iii set up with back button focus, also have a second button set up for back button eye auto focus.

I like being able to separate the shutter, meter and auto focus.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I saw discussion about BBF a while ago and thought I'd try it.

Nope.

Can't wrap my head around the explanations people give for it.
To my mind, having the camera focus with the shutter button makes sense. I don't focus and recompose, I choose the right focus point. And if the metering is over/under, I use the exposure comp dial.

Somebody please ELI5 why BBF is supposedly the next coming of Christ (and maybe also add context such as what kind of shooting you do, to illustrate the advantages).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like using back button af-on and have my shutter half press set to AE lock. You might use your camera differently from people who like it and that's fine, keep doing it however you like? For me, I like that I can leave the camera in continuous AF all the time and just not press the button to manual focus or single autofocus. Or if I'm focused on thing I want in focus and want to stop AF while still shooting, like there's things coming between me and the subject that I don't want to focus on, I can just let go momentarily. It's also, for me, a lot faster to focus and recompose than it is to select a focus point in some situations.

You can still use half button press in all these situations with different techniques; it's just a way of working with the camera that some people like better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I set up a separate focus button on my XH1 because I was concerned about the hair trigger shutter, but in the end I just got used to it and am fine with half press. Joystick select for focus point works fine for me too. I did set up back button metering, which I find pretty useful on occasion to meter on the joystick point, or meter and recompose. Of all the buttons and dials available on the XH1 though, the one I find I use the most and most useful is the metering mode switch under the shutter speed dial.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I should note that most of my lenses are MF now so it's not super relevant, and I haven't used half press AF in probably 15 years. It's hard for me to say whether it's actually just habit or worthwhile at this point. When I started using it I was on cameras where the center focus point was by far the most reliable and there weren't that many other points to choose from anyway.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m still trying to figure out the best layout and options for function keys on my Pro3. I definitely like having face af toggle on the front function button however

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

teraflame posted:

Personally I love it and can't stand shutter focus anymore. Not having to switch between continuous and single focus and being able to quickly focus and then change composure.

Another benefit is on a few of my lenses the auto focus switch doesn't lock the focus ring, so with back button focus I can switch between manual and auto focus on the fly without having to fumble for the switch.

Depending on what your shooting it can also help prevent focus errors to, eg shooting some birds, your focusing on bird 1, bird 2 moves in front and past bird 1, this can often trick the focus to follow bird 2, with back button you just predict this and release it, locking the focus where bird 1 is.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
BBF for life. I have my Z6 set to AF-C and can hit the AF On button for a single focus or hold it for continuous. It’s nice and saves me from switching AF modes. If I need manual after focusing for a landscape, then I can lay off the button or put the lens in MF.