Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MetaJew posted:

This looks like the atrium in the engineering college where I went to school.

Lol your an engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

No, I don’t have a bidet. Are you one of those toxic masculines who thinks it’s gay to touch his own bum hole?

Lmao no butthole touching is good and so is gayness

I'm just amused that no one stanning for bidets in this thread will answer about their butt towels

It's far enough off topic now that I'll probably stop

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lol your an engineer.

:same:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Badger of Basra posted:

I think the thing that really seals it for me is the plaza with the boring sculpture in front. It looks insanely office park-y
It does until you turn around and see what’s on the other side of the sculpture.

Also guess who he bought that place from a couple years ago.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It does until you turn around and see what’s on the other side of the sculpture.

Also guess who he bought that place from a couple years ago.

Lowtax?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

What's the cure for a new spine? Is it $17 million?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Bloop posted:

Lmao no butthole touching is good and so is gayness

I'm just amused that no one stanning for bidets in this thread will answer about their butt towels

It's far enough off topic now that I'll probably stop

You still have toilet paper just dab dry with that, don’t put out a normal towel, that’s insane.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Youth Decay posted:

This is a good attempt at a Wright-ish house IMO,. Maybe not the exposed particle board though.

Holy gently caress $1.1m for a 1bed 2/bath in houston with this bathroom:

I mean I get the architectural joke, but at least from the photos it has terrible lighting and lol and living in a house made of unpainted cinderblocks.

I bet it still smells like OSB

These untreated exposed pine beams are definitely not going to rot or get termites in hot, wet houston

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
gotta use the same towel you wipe the poop knife with

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Holy gently caress $1.1m for a 1bed 2/bath in houston with this bathroom:

I mean I get the architectural joke, but at least from the photos it has terrible lighting and lol and living in a house made of unpainted cinderblocks.

I bet it still smells like OSB

These untreated exposed pine beams are definitely not going to rot or get termites in hot, wet houston

I feel like it could be so much better just with decent finished materials. The little office space is cool and I like how the house feels like an extension of the outdoors but the cinderblock-concrete-OSB-plywood junk ruins it.

The architect John Zamenak sounds like he was a pretty cool guy though
https://www.ricedesignalliance.org/architecture-is-about-life-a-conversation-with-john-zemanek

John Zamenak posted:

Consumerism is not so much about consuming or enjoying as it is about controlling. Consumerism is an instrument of social and political control. You know, our constitution says nothing about capitalism; we have been conditioned to believe that capitalism and democracy are inseparable, but this is not true at all. Advanced capitalism, which is where we are today, is simply another name for consumer culture. There is no cumulative gain in consuming for the sake of consuming — it is an escape from reality, just as it is an escape for architecture to turn to applied ornament or other spectacular devices to justify its existence. Mainstream Americans are addicted to consumerism in order to escape the boredom of reality — reality is that “eternal vigilance” vital to liberty. It is “writ large” in architecture, computer games, iPods, NASCAR ... . To cope with the 9/11 tragedy, the President advised Americans to go shopping, and they did. To democracy, advanced capitalism is the tail that wags the dog. Optimistically, architecture will return to meeting people’s real needs; it will be self-ornamenting.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just wipe the poop knife on your butt, it’s like cleaning off the butter knife on the bread.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Search for sale (or rent or whatever) > More > scroll down to keywords

it doesn't use Boolean logic though so searching for a multi-word phrase is a crapshoot.

awesome, thanks!

quote:

Evansville's preeminent geodesic dome house is on the market, and it's time to see it in a new light. Designed in 1981 by local husband and wife team Dr. Sandy Schen and restauranteur Jacquie Schen, no other home offers the perfection of early 1980s/1990s high-end contemporary design, immense scale, and an oasis of landscaped acreage on Newburgh Road. With two domes, one soaring to nearly 28 feet on the interior, the roots of Buckminster Fuller are twice as prevalent here. Featuring over 12,000 square feet of living space, the home's major goal is prevalent throughout: to entertain family and friends, both near and far. The main level is flooded with natural light, bringing the outside in to the home's three formal dining areas, two master suites, executive library, and the living area in the smaller dome - large enough for dining, sitting, and a concert grand piano. Domed ceilings show the signature transition from hexagons above to pentagons below. Custom art made for the home graces the soaring stairwell, while the open kitchen with commercial grade appliances anchors the heart of the home. The original master suite sits just off the kitchen and cork-floored dining area and works perfectly for private guest quarters. Featuring a vibrant accent wall of hand-painted French wall-paper, the home's original thrust of contemporary design is clear here - from clean contrasting tile floor, white track lighting, and en suite with Corian shower and soaker tub. The curved kitchen opens into the enormous 1990s addition, which includes a second open access to the finished basement, a vast entertaining and living area, and a Las Vegas worthy master suite boasting his and hers walk-in closets, copious amounts of Corian in the tub surround and walk in shower, and a walk-out to the inn-worthy rear covered deck. The home's three other bedrooms lie in the larger of the two domes, each with their own loft spaces, two connected by a Jack-and-Jill bathroom. Below grade, in the expansive walkout basement, sits a billiards area, executive office, 4th dining area, entertainment space with wet bar and dry bar, guest suite, music/theater room, and wine room. Outside, the original pool house welcomes you into a focal point of entertaining and hospitality with kitchen, guest suite, and open living area - all walking right out to the diving board, the home's sunset view to the west flanking the entire resort of architectural experience. Two domes. Two words. Geodesic deliciousness.

this house is hell if you're a ceiling fan

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6200-Newburgh-Rd-Evansville-IN-47715/77110349_zpid/

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 4, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm searching faster than i've ever searched before

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Just wipe the poop knife on your butt, it’s like cleaning off the butter knife on the bread.

Hehehe "loaf"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf posted:

The worst part is maybe retraining yourself to wipe while sitting if don't already do that.

You’ve done it now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

nice dome(s)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
An article dunking on “millennial pink” and how the whole west elm aesthetic is supposed to be modern and fun and wacky but is really just boring and uninspired

https://apple.news/AK-o6eAPtTUebAD9AwRmVRw

A Good Read

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

luxury handset posted:

awesome, thanks!

:wtc: is this trainwreck

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

An article dunking on “millennial pink” and how the whole west elm aesthetic is supposed to be modern and fun and wacky but is really just boring and uninspired

A Good Read

Do you have a non-apple new link or is this Apple buzz marketing?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Weembles posted:

Do you have a non-apple new link or is this Apple buzz marketing?

https://www.thecut.com/2020/03/will-the-millennial-aesthetic-ever-end.html

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Is the fan really at an angle? That’s just gonna kill the bearing(s).

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

PRADA SLUT posted:

You don't use the shells? That's what they're there for.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

A Good Read

I'm too lazy to make an epic handshake meme between me and you over this article, but it's definitely how I feel.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pro click. Thanks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Interior design: ask me about my bidet

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

latinotwink1997 posted:

Is the fan really at an angle? That’s just gonna kill the bearing(s).

Yes and they should have used a downrod.

Honestly the house itself is not bad (though huge) but the interior is both bland and dated.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Badger of Basra posted:

I just wanna say thank you for your valiant attempt to get the thread to talk about something other than bidets and rear end towels or whatever

I'm in partial agreement with this.
The partially being because I'm hoping the conversation will turn to rear end eating.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tater_salad posted:

Interior design: bidet Mate

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

:wtc: is this trainwreck

It's like someone described what chinoiserie is to someone who never heard of it and did their best to decorate in that vein with a 5k budget. I dont know what's better: the sofa chairs made of kimono scraps or the tapestry depicting a mystical chinese man. Why os there an oil painting of a white business man?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

value-brand cereal posted:

It's like someone described what chinoiserie is to someone who never heard of it and did their best to decorate in that vein with a 5k budget. I dont know what's better: the sofa chairs made of kimono scraps or the tapestry depicting a mystical chinese man. Why os there an oil painting of a white business man?

i'm assuming he is the departed patriarch of the family, and how best to honor Him except with a portrait in the primary (of four) formal dining space, the one with the sex panther

a dedicated ceiling fan, high above, eternally spinning to weakly circulate the muggy Indiana air

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

barbecue at the folks posted:

A bidet shower head next to the toilet is the best quality-of-life Finnish innovation right after the drying cabinet for dishes. How the hell the rest of the world manages without is beyond me. (Their asses probably stink, of poop.)

edit: obligatory directions for use:

Isn't all the water going to spray back down on your hand?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

A bidet shower head next to the toilet is the best quality-of-life Finnish innovation right after the drying cabinet for dishes. How the hell the rest of the world manages without is beyond me. (Their asses probably stink, of poop.)

edit: obligatory directions for use:

The Singapore Airline's business class lounge had this kind of bidet thing in the restrooms at the Changi airport and I could not figure out how you would use this and not make a huge mess or splash water everywhere. The water pressure seemed very high.

It felt archaic coming from Japan, the capital of happy poop time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hey I'm back from a year ago. I ran out of money but will be getting new flooring soon. I used to have carpet, but my dog has been having urinary issues so I figure this is as good a time as any to replace it. Plus the carpet is eight years old and is generally kind of gross. I'll be getting these vinyl planks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-De...42513/300253313

They look to have enough "stickiness" which is what I want given I have a dog. I did look at some laminate that achieved the same effect by having cuts in it, but didn't find a color I preferred to this.

On one hand I'm thinking "hey I could install this" but then I realize that while I might do okay with the main pieces, anything where I have to cut pieces to fill in the little gaps I'd gently caress up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't know about that particular brand/model, but LVT is surprisingly nice stuff. You'll probably be happy with it.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

actionjackson posted:

On one hand I'm thinking "hey I could install this" but then I realize that while I might do okay with the main pieces, anything where I have to cut pieces to fill in the little gaps I'd gently caress up.

What do you mean by little gaps?

Laying laminate, I found the learning curve not too bad. I had the most trouble undercutting ancient and very dense door jambs & then laying the laminate properly at the undercuts, I was most frustrated by getting the underlayment perfect, and I otherwise wasted about $75.00 of material cutting and re-cutting.

just another fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 5, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "collected"
I want this stove

i'm the american flag handtowel on a pedestal

"Every detail of this home was lovingly procured" aka stolen

the most 1970s house built in 1989 (would 100% live here)

This house deserves a closer look

they are seriously trying to sell it for $600k. Houston real estate isn't that crazy is it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

just another posted:

What do you mean by little gaps?

Oh I just mean when you get to the end of a row, or have an angle or around vents, cabinetry, etc. you have to cut smaller pieces to fit into those areas.

Also if there was an issue with the underlying concrete or whatever I would have no idea how to detect any of that, nor the tools to repair it.

I'm just not good at this stuff, and it's way too important to gently caress up.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Youth Decay posted:

This house deserves a closer look

I've always wanted to live in what appears to be an Old West 'museum' that's right off the highway.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've always wanted to live in what appears to be an Old West 'museum' that's right off the highway.

it is clearly a defunct lazer tag arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

they are seriously trying to sell it for $600k. Houston real estate isn't that crazy is it?

It is if you want to live in the Heights.

BlackIronHeart posted:

luxury handset posted:

it is clearly a defunct lazer tag arena