Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Oh hey the local councillor sorted out my name thing with Labour membership and I got my voting thing through so that's cool I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jedit posted:

First case of COVID-19 in Grampian region was found today. No word on where, but I'd bet money he or she is just down the road from me now at ARI.
yup that's 3 in scotland now:
- 1 in Tayside - returned from Italy:
https://twitter.com/ConnorGillies/status/1235242152399171585
- 1 in Ayrshire
- 1 in Grampian

of the ayrshire/grampian pair 1 returned from italy, and another is linked to another confirmed case (but not in scotland, so odds are england and they found this via chasing known contacts)

expect this in a few weeks and for it to ramp up from there:
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1235250175284834305

we should be closing down schools to slow the spread (and mass gatherings immediately imo):
https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1235204453315358722

for an idea of how the virus has been spreading gene sequencing gives the world a lot of information that the carriers wouldn't know:
https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1235255507268534277

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pet beetles?

Beetle pets best pets. It’s making me feel bad how I kinda wish my other pets weren’t there so I could have more beetles.

I am coming up on three months of very minimal contact with news and media. I am hearing lots about how coronavirus is bad, but also about how it’s less deadly than SARS, less transmissible than flu, etc. What makes this such a concern? Is it the “two weeks with no symptoms” thing? I’ve been washing my hands a lot anyway, but this is the first time since the election that being out of touch has been anything other than a blessed relief.

(note that despite three months off I still regard this thread as the one trustworthy source of information on the internet)

Edit: okay so it’s fast and deadly. That was easy to find out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the lack of symptoms means it's extremely hard to contain. Also it's already in a shitload of places and most places don't/won't shut down like China has to try to contain it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If nothing else, Covid-19 might be the thing that finally makes everyone seriously consider WASHING THEIR loving HANDS and ACTUALLY STAYING HOME WHEN THEY'RE ILL.

Doubtful, but you can hope.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thank you all so much for the lovely pictures and nice things. Going to be taking a break from this corner of the internet, but thank you all so much.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So 3% mortality in Italy? Yikes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it's an almost perfect quarantine-buster that's deadlier than regular flu. It's not the most lethal or infectious disease out there, but there's unusually little we can do to stop it spreading at that same steady rate.

It's also worth remembering that 'deadlier' usually also means 'more incapacitating'. The economy is the means by which a society functions and keeps its members alive and comfortable. I don't know what the incapacitation rate of COVID-19 is, but it's probably quite a lot higher than 2%, and the economy will be seriously, seriously strained if even a tenth of the workforce are incapable of working for two weeks or more. Likewise, the more hospital beds it takes up, the less room there is for people with other health problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

If nothing else, Covid-19 might be the thing that finally makes everyone seriously consider WASHING THEIR loving HANDS and ACTUALLY STAYING HOME WHEN THEY'RE ILL.

It's certainly changing my habits given that the only reason I normally wash my hands is if I'm cooking for other people or if they're covered in literal poo poo/filth.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just gimme the disease and let's get it over with for this year.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm surrounded by coughing and sneezing people at work today. :aaa: Stay at home, Christ!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's certainly changing my habits given that the only reason I normally wash my hands is if I'm cooking for other people or if they're covered in literal poo poo/filth.

@goons_txt got one

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

XMNN posted:

just seen an aircraft carrier

I've heard several people saying it's smaller than they thought it would be, but one of them also seemed to be struggling to come to grips with the concept of small vs far away

They're fairly big, but they can easily enter Portsmouth harbour and dock in the naval base. The US supercarriers have to stay anchored in Stokes Bay because they are too big

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

@goons_txt got one

*shrug* I don't get sick much but seems only right to be extra safe with other people.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

*shrug* I don't get sick much but seems only right to be extra safe with other people.

What about like after every time you go to the toilet?!?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

thespaceinvader posted:

there's going to be a lot of hard lessons in risk management from people going "it's just the flu"

sebzilla posted:

So 3% mortality in Italy? Yikes.
the more disturbing thing to keep in mind is this is without a significant part of the population infected and thus with hospitals operating as effectively as they can.

i've went through ONS + NHS data and it's better no one really knows the gory stats details even under extremely optimistic conditions. did you know nhs england's critical care beds normally float around 80% capacity? at all times of the year?

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, it's an almost perfect quarantine-buster that's deadlier than regular flu. It's not the most lethal or infectious disease out there, but there's unusually little we can do to stop it spreading at that same steady rate.

It's also worth remembering that 'deadlier' usually also means 'more incapacitating'. The economy is the means by which a society functions and keeps its members alive and comfortable. I don't know what the incapacitation rate of COVID-19 is, but it's probably quite a lot higher than 2%, and the economy will be seriously, seriously strained if even a tenth of the workforce are incapable of working for two weeks or more. Likewise, the more hospital beds it takes up, the less room there is for people with other health problems.
covid-19 is ~20% require hospitalisation and a quarter of them need intensive care. even if we wish we're missing half of the asymptomatic cases that is far beyond any country's capabilities to handle

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Right, I've read this three times and I need to know.

Did you mean:

OwlFancier posted:

It's certainly changing my habits given that the only reason I normally wash my hands is
  1. if I'm cooking food for other people or
  2. if my hands are covered in literal poo poo/filth.

or

OwlFancier posted:

It's certainly changing my habits given that the only reason I normally wash my hands is
  1. if I'm cooking food for other people or
  2. if other people I'm dealing with are covered in literal poo poo/filth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Right, I've read this three times and I need to know.

Did you mean:

or

I mean I guess you could combine both in that I meant the first one but if I was dealing with someone covered in literal poo poo/filth I would probably want a shower afterwards.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

They're fairly big, but they can easily enter Portsmouth harbour and dock in the naval base. The US supercarriers have to stay anchored in Stokes Bay because they are too big

Well 'easily', they dredged the harbour special like so the ships could actually get through it without running aground.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If a us supercarrier runs aground without the sandbank owners permission can the police seize the vehicle?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gonzo McFee posted:

Voter suppression in America is wild. Communities with high poverty and minority voters are forced to wait for hours because the government actively closes down places to vote and holds back voting machines. Like, actively making sure there's warehouses of voting machines going unused. For the explicit purpose of disenfranchising anyone who might vote to improve the lives of the poor. They even admit that's why they do it.

the best part is this isn't even a state election, it's the Democratic Party, so as much as they point the finger at the Republicans they're absolutely wild for it if their anointed neolibs are threatened

Sanford posted:

When my new pet beetles are scared they stick their bum in the air and it looks like a scary little monster. My wife says I was more visibly delighted by this than I was when our daughter was born.

when I scrolled down I thought this was The Scream. nice beets!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

feedmegin posted:

Well 'easily', they dredged the harbour special like so the ships could actually get through it without running aground.

And the dredged sand has now done odd things to the tidal patterns on Hayling Island too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

And the dredged sand has now done odd things to the tidal patterns on Hayling Island too

Wouldn't have expected the lost city of rlyeh to be under portsmouth harbour but there you go.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i promise i do make the occasional post that isn't about people in scotland being dicks about trans people but I would just like to remind everyone to not use horrible, offensive terms like "cisgender" in polite political debate

https://twitter.com/pickle_bee/status/1235302615178719238

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
also please wash your hands after you go to the toilet. please do this even if there is not currently a viral epedemic of global proportions. thank you all

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This just doubly confirms that the legislature should not be able to act on matters of chemistry.

Scrap the Lords Spiritual and ecclesiastical courts and instead have a similar separation for Temporal Law and Chemical Law, because the earthly lawmakers clearly have no loving clue what they're talking about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to make an IUPAC joke but I'm glad I don't have to any more.

I was also going to make a gaul joke but I still can't really be arsed.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Sanford posted:

When my new pet beetles are scared they stick their bum in the air and it looks like a scary little monster. My wife says I was more visibly delighted by this than I was when our daughter was born.

an excellent beetle :3:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I was going to make an IUPAC joke but I'm glad I don't have to any more.

I was also going to make a gaul joke but I still can't really be arsed.
The one positive if she succeeded in getting cis banned from the legislature is you could make a drug with a geometric isomer and they wouldn't be able to ban it because the terves would shut down the session as soon as someone said the c word.

Or they'd have to describe it using E-Z notation, and lol if politicians would be able to do that, most chemists can't without looking up the byzantine rules table.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/04/teenage-boy-found-dead-after-group-of-men-seen-armed-with-baseball-bats

quote:

A 16-year-old boy has been found dead after a group of 30 men were seen armed with baseball bats near a railway station.

Ahmed Shamur, from Manor Park in east London, was found with head injuries on scrubland near Gallions Reach DLR station just after 8.30am on Tuesday.

His family had reported him missing in the early hours of that morning after he did not come home.

Witnesses reported seeing a gang of around 30 men armed with baseball bats near the station at around 7.50pm the previous evening.

Poor kid. :(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Feels like a baseball bat in Britain is basically like a knife or a handgun or whatever, only every likely to be used for violence.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there's going to be a lot of hard lessons in risk management from people going "it's just the flu"

I take time off when I have the flu so as not to infect others. But drat if some co-workers and your boss won't make you feel like a freeloader for not coming into work.

I've had those same co-workers go home at lunch time dripping sweat because the flu they thought they could work through started kicking in.

Also, Scottish parliament is so civilized. Used to the English ones where they'd be braying in disapproval when someones speaking.

Angepain posted:

i promise i do make the occasional post that isn't about people in scotland being dicks about trans people but I would just like to remind everyone to not use horrible, offensive terms like "cisgender" in polite political debate

https://twitter.com/pickle_bee/status/1235302615178719238

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Marenghi posted:

I take time off when I have the flu so as not to infect others. But drat if some co-workers and your boss won't make you feel like a freeloader for not coming into work.

I've had those same co-workers go home at lunch time dripping sweat because the flu they thought they could work through started kicking in.

Also, Scottish parliament is so civilized. Used to the English ones where they'd be braying in disapproval when someones speaking.

In my last full-time job where I was quite senior, one of our biggest clients demanded my attendance at a meeting (which was destined to be a rather difficult meeting) even though I had flu (really flu not a bad cold) and my boss did not turn round and say 'no she's ill' and go herself or arrange another senior person to go (a more junior person would not have been acceptable) so I tanked up on meds and went.
I was patently so ill that the client sent me home in a taxi.
This was one of the reasons I decided to opt out of the rat race.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In my last full-time job where I was quite senior, one of our biggest clients demanded my attendance at a meeting (which was destined to be a rather difficult meeting) even though I had flu (really flu not a bad cold) and my boss did not turn round and say 'no she's ill' and go herself or arrange another senior person to go (a more junior person would not have been acceptable) so I tanked up on meds and went.
I was patently so ill that the client sent me home in a taxi.
This was one of the reasons I decided to opt out of the rat race.

Well done on getting out!

That reminds me of a conversation I overhead on the train this morning. Some exec was having a VERY IMPORTANT PHONECALL on our crowded train and appeared to be issuing instructions to use a "coronovirus to turnover ratio" when making decisions about whether to send staff to virus hotspots abroad.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
if you happen to live in dewsbury there's only one place you should be buying your meat and it's from this lovely gent

https://twitter.com/djonesbutchers/status/1235271384860962816?s=20

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ThomasPaine posted:

if you happen to live in dewsbury there's only one place you should be buying your meat and it's from this lovely gent

https://twitter.com/djonesbutchers/status/1235271384860962816?s=20

Top man.

And this is... not really the kind of promoted tweet I expect to see on a butchers page.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Well, FlyBe just went tits up.

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1235324067709935617?s=19

One less infection vector I guess...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Plz stop talking about corona virus scary poo poo at bed time

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Plz stop talking about corona virus scary poo poo at bed time

are there any non scary things going on in uk politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

marktheando posted:

are there any non scary things going on in uk politics

I mean, there's some depressing ones. Like:

What does a lonely, squalid death in an immigration centre say about Britain? posted:

Dostoevsky said a society’s civilisation can be judged by its prisons. I would add this: a society’s humanity can be judged by its immigration removal centres.

What does it say about us that a man who entered Britain on a valid business visa – with all the optimism and ambition that entails – died emaciated, dehydrated and in a state of utter despair, at a detention centre near Heathrow.

That Prince Kwabena Fosu’s story could unfold in modern Britain is hard to comprehend. A 31-year-old Ghanaian national, he was experiencing a psychiatric crisis so acute that – it was said during the inquest – even someone with no expertise would have noticed. He was taken to the Harmondsworth centre, where staff instead labelled him disruptive – his mental health was never assessed – and placed him in segregation, where for six days he lay naked on a concrete floor, not eating, drinking or sleeping. He died on 30 October 2012, emaciated, from hypothermia, dehydration and malnourishment, weighing only 47kg, having lost 15% of his body weight in less than a week.

E: Oh by the way that's your tax money hard at work:

quote:

The main problem with immigration detention is that, at a cost of more than £34,000 per detainee per year, it doesn’t actually work, and has been found time again to be “not a particularly effective means of ensuring that those with no right to remain do in fact leave the UK”. For the utterly heartless, that is reason enough for radical change. For everyone else, there is Prince Fosu.

But clearly we can't let migrants off easily, 34000 pounds a year is a drop in a bucket compared to the damage a stray migrant could do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 5, 2020