Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's why the assault rifle is so good, it has a really sweet combination of range + accuracy at all ranges + burst fire + high ROF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Yeah I love assault rifles. Sometimes I'll give a pawn like wimps a sniper to keep them back, or miniguns to really bad shots, but otherwise its assaults for everyone. I do keep a few snipers around for situational uses.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
My first colony just ended in tragedy, and I have to say, I'm impressed by how fast the game went from city builder to The Terror reeanactment

I had three people and a rain forest settlement. Things were chugging along nicely enough, until I sent two of them on an expedition and left my pacifist at home with her pet guard boar.

A guinea pig turned man-eater turned up shortly after they left and invaded the town. The lone settler stayed in her room until she was forced to make a run for the kitchen to get food. It found her at once and followed through the open doors, scratching her feet with its tiny little claws. She scrambled for her trusty boar, but it couldn't care less, walking around, minding its own business. She died a miserable death to a thousand stings.

Meanwhile, the expedition had successfully murdered some hermit and stolen his two steel beds, but halfway back to camp, one of them fell ill and died. That burned through their supplies, and the second guy began starving. He was made to begrudgingly leave behind his friends body and the two steel beds, and it became a race to reach the town.

The town at this point had been invaded by a caveman and set it on fire. Karma did get him though, he tried to club the boar and it gutted him. Both man and boar bled out next to each other, just a few tiles away from the bones of the pacifist.

So my last guy fought a losing race with starvation on his way home. He had a mental break down and spent some time rampaging around in the jungle in a fit before finally limping into town. Of course, the farm was a smoldering ruin by then and the food was all spoiled. The last man standing beat two rats to death and ate them raw. The only other wild animals were a pack of rhinos, and he had no farming skills what so ever. He wouldn't even pick berries, although that may have been due to my mismanagement.

He set course for the nearest settlement, 12 days away. It could work. Stranger things have happened. He made it 0.5 days before he caught the plague and collapsed in a swamp.

Good game. Terrifying, but good.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
If I turn hostile to the imperials will they send retaliation attacks at me if I start using psychic abilities without a silencer? That constant pain tradeoff seems pretty steep and I don't have any masochists.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So I was doing a prison rescue, first hostile I kill turns out was a count un there pirates faction, so it made my pawn a countess, I barely have a base let alone an 80 tile throneroom!

I quit to the desktop because gently caress that. I am hoping if I turn off allow royal favors it won't gently caress me like that again?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Lladre posted:

So I was doing a prison rescue, first hostile I kill turns out was a count un there pirates faction, so it made my pawn a countess, I barely have a base let alone an 80 tile throneroom!

I quit to the desktop because gently caress that. I am hoping if I turn off allow royal favors it won't gently caress me like that again?

I don't think that would have helped. Adding a way to renounce titles was explicitly listed in Tynan's recent dev blog as a feature he hopes to add in the near future.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there anything you can do about tech level bonuses/maluses? I hate them so much.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

jokes posted:

Is there anything you can do about tech level bonuses/maluses? I hate them so much.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735268789&tscn=1470116132

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yesssssssss THANK YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Bramble posted:

I don't think that would have helped. Adding a way to renounce titles was explicitly listed in Tynan's recent dev blog as a feature he hopes to add in the near future.

That makes me not want to play to be honest. I rather have a pawn die than be made an uber royal. I mean if it wasn't early game I would kill them off then use a serum on them. But wee're talking I am six pawns in.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well it's not like it's hard to arrange for your pawn to die rather than be an uber royal.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's been a long time since I played Rimworld so I don't know how much of this total absurdity was possible before Royalty but holy poo poo, these new quests are nuts.

I'm playing vanilla Royalty with Randy - around 25 days in I got a quest to rehabilitate two wounded spacers for 20 days. They dropped into my base with broken legs, I didn't have any sort of hospital set up so I quickly assembled one next to my gardens. Things proceed peacefully, my four colonists install all of the infrastructure I need, finish up some important research - all in all, things are going well.

On day 43 I get a quest - the leader of a bandit gang angered a machine god, the machine god is assaulting the bandits with a low psychic buzz. In exchange for contacting the machine god to take responsibility for the bandit gang's actions, thus drawing the machine god's ire (and taking the psychic buzz myself for 10 days), the bandits offer me three resurrector serums, a masterwork Monosword, and 750 silver. I accept, no hesitation. The sword and serums are dropped into my base in the middle of the night and it's raining so I wake some of my colonists up early to haul them into a tool shelf sitting outside my storage room.

Seconds later I'm offered another quest - some royal somebody wants me to feed and house a contingent of six of their champions for three days while they fend off a localized mech swarm that's chasing them, orbital dropping mechanoid combat pods after them every so often. I'm assured that it doesn't matter if the champions die, I just need to feed and house them. This one takes some deliberation because none of my colonists are well-equipped for combat (other than the monosword, and a masterwork assault rifle an earlier quest gave me) - but eventually I accept. It's only three days, what could go wrong?

All six drop in the middle of the night and they're... not what I expected. The captain seems to be a verified badass clad in uranium plate armor and carrying a biocoded plasmasword - he has an acid bomb implanted in his chest to melt his equipment if he dies... yeah. The other five are a disappointment. Wearing steel and gold plate, carrying steel weapons. I was expecting more against a mechanoid menace. I don't have any sort of barracks prepared for them so I hustle to build a bed in each room I have scattered around to put up a makeshift camp. Right away, some tribal raiders attack.

Now, at this point the two rehabilitated guests are still just sitting in the shuttle that's picking them up and they have a full day and a half before it takes off (NOTE: if you select the shuttle you can launch it right away, I didn't notice this at the time. I had forgotten about them entirely.) I take the six royal champions and my hunter with an assault rifle to fend off the three naked tribal raiders. Piece of cake, right?

We charge into battle, the champions hit the front lines and start smashing into these three raiders. They're... not very good at it. The raiders get a few good hits in and one of them moves past the front line and ties up my hunter, who isn't suited for melee combat. The raider stabs my hunter in the leg, cracking their radius and humerus, and cuts their arm pretty bad. The champions finally mop up with a few injuries themselves. My hunter was also my most skilled at construction, they're out of commission, which means getting these beds up for the champions just got more complicated.

Luckily the champions are willing to work while they're here, so they all start finishing up some construction I have lying around, they make the beds, complete some mining... great! Then the mechanoid pod drops.

I send the 6 champions and my three colonists with guns to face off against the pod, which is 3 scythers and a bunch of turrets. The champions charge in and my colonists open up - it's all over fairly quick but leaves four of the champions downed and all six wounded, plus my primary hunter got shot up pretty bad by a turret. Everyone carries each other back to base. All of the beds are spread out around the entire complex because of the dumbass way I set them up. Treatment takes forever because everyone is slow and wounded. They sleep a lot.

And because this is Rimworld and everything has to come full loving circle, the psychic buzz finally takes its toll on one of the rehabilitated guests sitting on the shuttle that I forgot to manually launch, who goes berserk, grabs the masterwork monosword sitting on the toolshelf, then rampages through a colony where everyone is too far wounded and spread out to defend themself. They killed three of my five colonists and two of the champions before the champion commander put them down, which then coincidentally failed my quest to rehabilitate them in the first place.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Well it's not like it's hard to arrange for your pawn to die rather than be an uber royal.
Also if it's a "gently caress this it's ruining my game" problem you can use the dev console to lower a pawn's title. It gives a temporary "lost my title" moodlet debuff which makes me suspect it won't exactly be all that hard for tynian to add it as an actual mechanic.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

These mechanoid clusters are no joke. Approaching the blaster and inferno turrets with the mortar shield online is... rough.

Is there a calculation for chemfuel explosion radius and damage? I'm thinking about dropping small (or large) amounts of chemfuel and high explosive mortar rounds all around these things just outside the proximity detector, then setting them off.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't forget that smoke disables turrets. If you have a couple colonists with smoke launchers standing out of enemy turret range, you can have them keep a firing spot permanently smoked for your snipers to stand in and shoot the turrets to bits without any return fire. Both bolt-action rifles and smoke launchers are craftable with just the basic Gunsmithing tech.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone got some tips for a tribal desert start? The lack of trees and forageable bushes makes thing a bit rough.
Also the plague taking out 3 members on day 5 doesn't help.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm heading into my second winter and think I've mostly gotten the hang of the early game. Food supply seems good, there's been a wedding, and my muffalo, alpacas, and wargs are all having babies :kimchi: I've only lost one pawn - unfortunately my best builder - defending a pet squirrel from a warg. I did tame the warg and eat the squirrel so I guess it wasn't a total loss :shrug:

Looking for feedback on my base construction and shoring up my defenses. I have plenty of building materials since I spent the summer focusing on some other things but never stopped crafting. General shortcomings I've noticed:

I didn't plan the ventilation very well. I'm getting around it somewhat by removing the door to the infirmary, but that's probably not ideal (will patients get disturbed sleep when someone comes in the front door?).

Pawns who spend a lot of time in the workshop (especially my researcher) are getting the "ate without a table" debuff a lot. Was thinking about setting up a beautified area/gazebo where those planning squares are (plus some area below the image), but the stockpile/conduit/power generation mess makes everything pretty fugly. Maybe I should wall in the stockpile, but that would require extra space, and moving it further away causes some efficiency issues. Maybe shrink it, wall it in, and use priorities to have primary/secondary stockpiles?

My livestock ate my entire first hay harvest more or less instantly (I was storing it in a covered area behind the barn, which they can access). Do I need to set up an enclosed granary outside their allowed zones and then only start stocking it when they can't graze?

Need to reconfigure the freezer/kitchen/butcher junction. Right now the pathing for getting an animal, butchering it, and putting everything back is pretty long.

It's probably just too big. Natural features dictated this somewhat but now I have to set huge swaths of it to be home area in order to get my pawns to fight fires from lightning (or more recently, a pack of manhunting boomrats), which means I now see my pawns cleaning random stupid crap all over the place.

Zoomed-out overview:

Detail of inhabited area:

On defenses, the thought is to leverage this mud/water area. Funnel everyone through the water (after running a path full of traps), use melee blockers (once I have suitable pawns, everyone but my plant/animal guy sucks at melee and he's too valuable to be a meatshield), and put colonists in the gaps behind sandbags to shoot. I'm researching turrets now so I need to sort out power in this area too. Feels like I'm probably wasting the potential of all this 50%/30% movement speed because of the L bend and/or making some other elementary error.

So far simply having my shooty pawns stand back and shoot people as they slog through the mud is working OK. That said, the last raid was two tribals who just bashed their way through my granite curtain wall so quickly that by the time my pawns made it back across they were almost through the sandstone wall into the infirmary. There was a clear path to the opening on the far side, so not sure what happened there.

Future funnel/trap area:

e: Also, as far as I can tell I'm not getting any wool or milk from the muffalo. Anything I might be overlooking there?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
For people not in the CE discord: 1.1 version should be out around the time for the weekend, CE and fast track has merged.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Can someone give me the skinny about how using zones works best when it comes to defense and trap areas?

It's nice that my dinky traps managed to wound a rhino which then bled out but it was not so nice when one of my guys ran into it and was out for two days. They probably also built the trap themselves :doh:

OwlFancier posted:

As a suggestion, rather than having all the rooms open out into the outside, why not make the AC corridor like, an actual corridor, and have the doors open into it?

Specifically, why not just enclose all the space between those buildings and ventilate them all into that space, and put the AC system there? I believe wood generators produce heat as a byproduct so you can even capture that as well for winter heating.
I will keep this in mind when the next round of base expansion comes up

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 4, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

Pawns who spend a lot of time in the workshop (especially my researcher) are getting the "ate without a table" debuff a lot. Was thinking about setting up a beautified area/gazebo where those planning squares are (plus some area below the image), but the stockpile/conduit/power generation mess makes everything pretty fugly. Maybe I should wall in the stockpile, but that would require extra space, and moving it further away causes some efficiency issues. Maybe shrink it, wall it in, and use priorities to have primary/secondary stockpiles?

I actually make my workshop big enough to have a few statues, a 1x2 table, and a few chairs in the middle. Usually it winds up being a slightly+ impressive dining room.

Current run I'm trying to make my throne room, rec room, main dining hall, and workshop be all in the same mega room as a sort of noble craft hall thing. I'll see how it goes.

Also check to see the degradation on your wood, you might need to cover that with a roof.

My livestock ate my entire first hay harvest more or less instantly (I was storing it in a covered area behind the barn, which they can access). Do I need to set up an enclosed granary outside their allowed zones and then only start stocking it when they can't graze?

Yes, or you need to forbid the hay.

Need to reconfigure the freezer/kitchen/butcher junction. Right now the pathing for getting an animal, butchering it, and putting everything back is pretty long.

I tend to have my butcher's table in my freezer. Realistically, the slower butcher rate is not a huge hassle. You could also stick a door between freezer and butcher block.

It's probably just too big. Natural features dictated this somewhat but now I have to set huge swaths of it to be home area in order to get my pawns to fight fires from lightning (or more recently, a pack of manhunting boomrats), which means I now see my pawns cleaning random stupid crap all over the place.

If there's an area you don't want them to clean or firefight, go to Remove Home Area and clear out things. You can leave a Home Area strip right on your walls so they still repair things, but they don't care for fire on either side of the stone wall.

e: Also, as far as I can tell I'm not getting any wool or milk from the muffalo. Anything I might be overlooking there?

I'm not seeing milk from muffalo anymore.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

HelloSailorSign posted:

Also check to see the degradation on your wood, you might need to cover that with a roof.

Good point. Until recently I had been going through wood fast enough for that not to be an issue. My stockpile has surged due to replacing wood with stone and clearing a bunch of trees from my defensive area.

quote:

I tend to have my butcher's table in my freezer. Realistically, the slower butcher rate is not a huge hassle. You could also stick a door between freezer and butcher block.

:doh: I always assumed that lights blocked the path.

quote:

If there's an area you don't want them to clean or firefight, go to Remove Home Area and clear out things.

I do want them to firefight, though. Otherwise it spreads to my crops (not good for grazing either I would imagine). So far my approach has been to just temporarily throw a home zone over and around the fire. Gotta keep an eye on it, though, because if the fire spreads they will just put out the squares in the zone and then go have a snack or play horseshoes while poo poo burns.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you've got an issue like that, you could also throw down a 2 tile wide strip of stone tile or flagstone around where you don't want to burn, that's an effective firebreak.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Getting back into this game, does playing on a large map actually break the game as much as the game is telling me it does. The text box makes it sound like nothing is going to work properly but ya boy likes his s p a c e

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yes, you start to run into issues where your guys burn through half their calories running across the map to pick something up. Those map sizes are kind of for people playing on peaceful who just want a big ant farm. The non-massive maps are still quite massive.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

well okay that's a given that can be mitigated I guess or might even add another layer of difficulty (the only time you'll ever get raided is when you've got everyone away from base mining or whatever lol), if that's all then I'll just stick to big maps. I like having a ton of dudes and the extra space will be nice

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Big maps actually make the game significantly easier since raiders don't bring much food with them and start starving on the way in, and you have so much time to mortar everything as it approaches you. There's performance issues as well, but I haven't tried a giant map since the 1.1 performance improvements.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that actually is a concern. I guess the trade-off may be that siege attacks are more difficult to deal with instead since they park far away but those are less common than straight up raids

e: woah the new ruin generation is dope. Do the stele give beauty bonuses or something? oh dope they do

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 4, 2020

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

There's also some new quests to build monuments which are pretty dope and can also be repurposed into small rooms later on.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can also just immediately deconstruct them when complete if they don't have the "protect for x days" sub objective.

Edit: Goddamn food poisoning is so annoying when starting out

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 4, 2020

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Mods:

Android tiers: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1386412863

Immortals: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1984905966

Jarvis, the immortal android...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Think that's the worst luck I've had in the game so far. Got a raid from a pirate faction during a thunderstorm, and my best gunner immediately got hit by lightning.

Edit: And two raids immediately afterwards, lovely.

Edit2: Make that three raids. At least I managed to heal up the worst before the last one.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 5, 2020

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I've had that happen too many times to not roof my pillboxes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nalesh posted:

I've had that happen too many times to not roof my pillboxes.

Also, being rained on decreases accuracy and makes your settlers unhappy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wonder if you could rip apart the Bad People mod and take and adjust some code so that after X "Ate without table" and "Rained on" Moodlets your colonists get a "Weathered" trait that negates those moodlets.

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Did recruiting prisoners get straight up harder in Royalty or is it now just more dependent on mood and the warden's social skill? I like it, to be honest - it felt like the game wanted to just give you ~15 colonists ASAP, although I'm losing more colonies to minor threats now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If anything the game seems to be throwing colonists at me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Someone apparently jerry rigged Fertile Fields to work in 1.1, Rainbeau might have left the modding scene :smith:

I mean sure I can just use synthelene for my cheap flooring, but concrete just looked so good for warehouses and mechanical rooms :smith:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I've always gone with tactile tile for everything except the kitchen etc once I've gotten to that point. Isn't concrete in the base game? Or I guess that's cement.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Paramemetic posted:

I've always gone with tactile tile for everything except the kitchen etc once I've gotten to that point. Isn't concrete in the base game? Or I guess that's cement.

One of them is but not the other kind. Plus it was nice being able to mash up rocks for flooring instead of using even the paltry amount of steel

E: oh wait paved tile is in vanilla too, the mod just changed them to use concrete :frogdunce:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

What does tactile tile do again?