Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Coven is the reverse of those cards. Unlike a normal curser that slows down your opponents immediately, Coven doesn't slow down their deck at all in the early game, until Oops All The Curses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

golden bubble posted:

Coven is the reverse of those cards. Unlike a normal curser that slows down your opponents immediately, Coven doesn't slow down their deck at all in the early game, until Oops All The Curses.

Conversely you don't have the ability to trash those any earlier unless you buy a curse to release them! Apparently according to DXV exiling doesn't count as gaining, which also means they wouldn't trigger things like Watchtower or Sheepdog (unless I am misreading his post below):

Donald X. Vaccarino posted:

Exiling isn't gaining, and discarding from Exile isn't gaining (though it's discarding, triggering e.g. Tunnel).

You can get the Curses into your deck earlier by e.g. buying a Curse though.

What a neat card

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hell yeah, an entire mechanic that can benefit my BFF card Tunnel.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Previews day four: Ways and Events posted:

First we have Ways. There are 20 of these. Okay so. They're landscape cards like Events and Landmarks and Projects. You deal them out the same way, except, don't use more than one Way per game (that's my advice anyway). A Way gives an alternate use to all Action cards that game. When you play an Action card, pick, do you want its normal function, or do you want the Way. If you want the Way, you just do what the Way says, that's that. It's like Action cards all say, "Choose one: that Way thing, or what this normally does." We turn the Action card sideways to remember which ones did the Way. Stuff below a dividing line is unaffected; if it's like, "While this is in play, something something," that will still happen.

Ways work any time you play an Action card. This means for example that if you play Sheepdog via its reaction, that can still use a Way if you want. If you Throne Room a card, it could be the Way the first time, not-the-Way the second time, or any combination. As always there's a rulebook, you'll get to see it eventually.

Way of the Ox is a simple one: +2 Actions. In games with this, every Action card can instead be used for +2 Actions. Your hand is nothing but Smithies? Play one for +2 Actions and away you go. Or, what was that thing from two days ago? Horses, that's right. Way of the Ox lets you play a Horse for +2 Actions, and still have it for later. And a Necropolis, well, uh, maybe the next one will be better for Necropolis.

Way of the Mole is also simple, there are a bunch of simple ones.

Way of the Turtle is a trickier one. It lets you play any card to set itself aside and replay it next turn. Way of the Turtle says "this" on it, but that's the card you played, it's not Way of the Turtle itself. You don't want your Moneylender this turn, so you Turtle it, and play it at the start of your next turn. I hear you asking, but wait, when you play it next turn, can't you just use Way of the Turtle again to save it for the turn after that? Yes, of course you can. If you want, it can be Turtles all the way down.

Online, you can click on a button on an Action card to instead do the Way with one click. You can also click on the Way itself, highlighting it, then click on an Action in hand. Cards like Throne Room and Vassal pause to give you a chance to use the Way on the extra play.

Menagerie also has 20 Events. They're just like the ones in Adventures and Empires, only new. In your Buy phase, you can use a Buy and pay the cost to generate the effect. Some of the Events involve Horses or Exile, but many don't, including these three.

Toil gives you a way to turn cash into playing Action cards from your hand. It's a secret village, for certain kinds of things. And if you just have $2 left you can't do anything useful with, you can Toil ironically.

Commerce makes some amount of Gold, depending on the variety of cards you've gained this turn. Scrap an Estate for a Silver and a Horse and you're well on your way.

Populate is a big one. You gain one card from each Action supply pile. Foosh! That's potentially 10 cards in a game without Ruins or Young Witch, though some piles may not be Actions, and if a good pile ran out, tough luck. And you can't say, "no I don't want that Beggar and that Ruined Library." You get to pick the order they show up, or online can click on a "random order" button when you don't care.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

More tunnel enabling. Also, I have no clue how Populate is good.
e: or Commerce. When are you gaining multiple cards and suddenly want a bunch of Gold flooding your deck?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 5, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess if you're in a Prosperity game with multiple expensive-yet-very-strong piles.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr. Squishy posted:

More tunnel enabling. Also, I have no clue how Populate is good.
e: or Commerce. When are you gaining multiple cards and suddenly want a bunch of Gold flooding your deck?

Gardens

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

quote:

If you want, it can be Turtles all the way down.

I feel comfortable saying he designed the card specifically to make this joke.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Many Horses can be yours

I did this a few times in the game and ended w/ an 80+ card deck and I think all of the horses.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mr. Squishy posted:

Many Horses can be yours

I did this a few times in the game and ended w/ an 80+ card deck and I think all of the horses.

oh my god you can populate alchemy cards without clogging your deck with potions

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Gardens decks don't make $10. Fairgrounds maybe, or good trash-for-benefit? And of course it's cheaper than buying all those cards individually. Or lets you empty multiple piles at once.

Ways look awesome, very simple but interesting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

Gardens decks don't make $10. Fairgrounds maybe, or good trash-for-benefit? And of course it's cheaper than buying all those cards individually. Or lets you empty multiple piles at once.

Ways look awesome, very simple but interesting.

I think they meant gardens for "When are you gaining multiple cards and suddenly want a bunch of Gold flooding your deck?"

Populate can often be misleading but there's definitely going to be games when there's a few powerful but expensive cards, or just decent enough synergy (like there's a few villages/cantrips and you're not stuffing your deck with a bunch of terminals) or cards that are otherwise hard to gain (e.g. Grand Market) and getting to 10 with a single buy is going to gain you 4+ useful cards that would cost combined much more with multiple buys (and then you gain some chaff that you can trash away or use situationally)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, my initial reaction was thinking about the many sloggy games with no villages or decent cantrips, and you're spending ten to get a lot of terminals of questionable usefulness.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Vineyards

quote:

Populate can often be misleading but there's definitely going to be games when there's a few powerful but expensive cards, or just decent enough synergy (like there's a few villages/cantrips and you're not stuffing your deck with a bunch of terminals) or cards that are otherwise hard to gain (e.g. Grand Market) and getting to 10 with a single buy is going to gain you 4+ useful cards that would cost combined much more with multiple buys (and then you gain some chaff that you can trash away or use situationally)

I spend $10. I gain a Prince, King's Court, a good 4 and 2 of something else great, Watchtower them onto my deck, and trash the other cards.

quote:

I pretty easily put together a village/workshop/livery deck that gained all the Gardens on turn 13 along with all the Horses, ending with 70 cards in my deck. I'm sure it doesn't work as well against a person as the AI (who isn't even programmed to buy the new cards), but hey, fun things to try.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 5, 2020

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I think they meant gardens for "When are you gaining multiple cards and suddenly want a bunch of Gold flooding your deck?"

Fair enough, my bad. Looks a bit slow, though.

1. What good is Toil, apart from letting you play an action that gives you +$3 or better, or another buy?

2. The flag on Populate is Dutch, looks like Dominion's flirting with early modern history again.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

1. What good is Toil, apart from letting you play an action that gives you +$3 or better, or another buy?

With your last action you drew cards. You drew an Expand and a $5 action. Oops, you're in your buy phase now. For $2 you can Toil, and Expand that $5 action into a Province. With the right amount of planning/luck and a fair chunk of spare $2s it can almost be like a baby Villa. It's probably hard to use overall, but there will be spots where it's very useful.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 5, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

So ironically the one Toil game I played had Goons, Grand Market, Coven and some big drawer (I think Royal Blacksmith although maybe that was another game?) But anyway there were a few times I drew several dead cards from my draw and Toil allowed me to play more Grand Markets to get even more cards while offsetting the cost and buy, play more Goons for points while ALSO offsetting the cost and buy, then max out the curses with Coven while using whatever extra buys I already had from previous GMs and Goons and still offsetting the cost. So basically the perfect scenario for it lol

But yeah I can see it being useful with some some big draw terminals, some attacks, maybe some durations (like Wharf without extra actions) and some other exotic cards where paying the $2 and using the buy is worth doing whatever the action does during the buy phase.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Toil seems set up for games with lots of big terminals that you don't really want to gently caress around with setting up villages for. Extra coins are your villages.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Populate + Donate. Chaos reigns.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Oh yeah, of course actions can have an effect in the buy phase. Oops.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

"Menagerie Previews Day 5: More Cards posted:

And here we are with... more cards.

I warned you that there were more Duration cards. Here's Mastermind, which is like King's Court but slower. You can King's Court a King's Court in one turn; with Mastermind that's play Mastermind, next turn Mastermind a Mastermind, next turn actually play three things three times.

Menagerie has two minor themes I didn't mention yet. Surprise! The first one is reaction cards; there are five of them. Five! Four of them do the trick Sheepdog did of letting you play them at an unusual time; Black Cat is one of those. It's a Witch they have to activate for you. I will just point out now: when they gain a Province and that lets you use Black Cat, the other players gain Curses and that lets them use Sheepdogs.

The other minor theme is cards with weird costs; there are four of these, including Animal Fair. Wayfarer's weird cost is whatever the previous card cost. You could play Bureaucrat, gain a Silver, then Wayfarer costs $3. Or with two Buys, buy a Copper, now Wayfarer costs $0. Or buy an Engineer for 4 Debt and well now Wayfarer costs 4 Debt.

That's all the previews you were expecting! The cards will continue to be playable online through the weekend, then vanish, then come out properly online when the physical version is out. We still expect it around March 18.

This time for no special reason I am going to keep previewing cards until the set comes out or the rulebook is posted. These cards won't be playable online (until the whole set comes out), they will just be images to look at and ponder. I'll do one a day, and if people request stuff they'd like to see, I'll try to pick one of those things. They can be kingdom cards or sideways ones.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Black Cat/Messenger handing out Estates.

VVV So it isn't. I shouldn't post at work when I can't think.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 6, 2020

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That doesn't work, as it's still your turn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Black cat seems inconsequential in 2p but I'm imagining it in 3p Ambassador games where it seems awful. I think in most games if your opponent is greening they won't mind getting a curse, at least compared to how much you mind having stuffed your own deck with awful terminal draw.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I feel like Mastermind is going to lead to some real frustrating luck based wins and losses. Obviously optimally you play Mastermind and find some way of stacking your deck so you know it will hit next turn, either just by trashing or filling your deck with things to hit, or by literally stacking your deck with various deck rearrangment cards. But there's gonna be a lot of games where you just lose because your Mastermind totally whiffed and your opponents hit something crucial, and vice versa. Of course to some extent the whole game is like that (and the skill of mitigating it is kind of the point).

Also Masterminding a Mastermind is fun.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

All of the Throne Room variants have that though. That it happens at the absolute start of your turn makes it a little less flexible I'll grant you. But spending the action in the previous turn has advantages too. Compare drawing Throne Room and Smithy on the same hand, where you're likely to draw 6 dead cards, to drawing Mastermind and subsequently drawing Smithy. If anything it's the second most reliable variant yet (after Royal Carriage) because you'll be looking at five cards to maybe be a useful action, as opposed to only four.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
That's all true, I'm just saying Tripling an action is far more significant than Doubling one (see King's Court), so since you can likely get this going much earlier than King's Court, and before decks are fully set up for it, you're going to see the luck effects magnified more clearly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Those are all good points I had failed to consider. Just play enough games that fluking a loss is averaged out into nothingness.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I think Wayfarer is going to be more interesting than "buy or gain something cheap, so you can buy it for cheap." Like buy gain something expensive, so you can then you can use it's boosted cost to do something cool. Like Mine a Gold into a Platinum, and then Apprentice your Wayfarer for 9 cards.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 6, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elysium posted:

I think Wayfarer is going to be more interesting than "buy or gain something cheap, so you can buy it for cheap." Like buy something expensive, so you can then you can use it's boosted cost to do something cool. Like Mine a Gold into a Platinum, and then Apprentice your Wayfarer for 9 cards.

Would that work at any time other than buying it?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, it's cost changes (in supply, hand and deck) instantly any time a card is gained.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Mastermind as a 5 cost is loving absurd.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
You: I see that I am winning by 5, so I will buy this last province, ending the game and winning by 1.
Opponent: I reveal 2 Black Cats.
You:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I spent all morning noodling about Black Cat. I just played a game with it, although as with previous cards it was one of those perfect situations for it where Festival and Artisan were both on the board, so I could get Festivals from Artisan which enabled an engine and allowed me to buy extra BCs (and then topdeck them with Artisan to set up for the opponent's turn). Also Bounty Hunter, Hideout and Way of the Ox allowed me to shred my deck down while still getting use of those actions later through WotO. At one point I think I got 4 BC plays off a single Province buy which turned it into a very expensive Estate and netted me 4 cards.

It's definitely highly situational: you don't want it early so there needs to be extra buys or cheap gainers to get them later when you want them. There also ideally needs to be engine cards, but BC itself only drawing 2 cards is weak. It also loves things that can guarantee it will be in your next hand to ensure you get that benefit from the opponent's turn, or even scare them off from greening (but you gotta be careful that you don't end up with a hand of low draw terminals if they choose to wait). The fact that it is chainable off a single victory card buy is its true power, but the main thing it needs is a valid reason to be in your deck on your own turns.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Bonus Preview 1 posted:

People asked for various things, but the big one was Ways, everyone wants to see more. Someone wanted the "vice-versa" card and someone wanted the most rule-bending things, so here's all three of those, and the most exotic thing in the set.

Durations are tricky. It only applies to this turn; if you play Merchant Ship using Way of the Chameleon, you get +2 Cards this turn and +$2 next turn. Also some things get you cards but aren't "+Cards"; Way of the Chameleon doesn't apply to them. There will be a rulebook eventually!

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Poor House is real good with this Way.

They keep finding new design space for this game, and it is great.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Bonus Preview 2 posted:

Here's another Way, for you people hungry for Ways. Despite Way of the Chameleon, they are mostly very simple, whether vanilla like Way of the Ox, or just, you know, simple, like Way of the Rat.

In games with Way of the Rat, everything can gain copies of itself. There you have it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Did the rats in the picture have to be going right for your eyes?
Another interesting one. When do you want your fantastic action to instead be a terminal gainer?
e: that wasn't a rhetorical question meaning "when is this ever good?", I genuinely think that's a neat question to pose players.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Another interesting one. When do you want your fantastic action to instead be a terminal gainer?
e: that wasn't a rhetorical question meaning "when is this ever good?", I genuinely think that's a neat question to pose players.

Sauna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

King's Court? Definitely when it misses, but maybe even otherwise when it's not going nuts. And the first player to go off with KC-KC might have extra KC at the end to gain the remainder or assist in a 3-pile.