Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
would unlimited indalecio from star ocean count

never played it myself but i heard grim tales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
kinda but you have to go out of your way a bit to unlock him, so it's more of a choice than the game responding to how much extra poo poo you did

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Phantasium posted:

yeah sephiroth gets more health or something if you have certain things or have beaten certain weapons or something like that. (i think the final jenova fight does too?)

you just wouldn't have noticed because if you're that far in you can kill him with four attacks or less anyway

one of the things is each level 99 character adding a ton of stats so if you cheated to get max level you got slammed by a ridiculously strong sephiroth

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember homeworld scaled how big the enemy fleets were based on the size of your own so if you diligently captured and resource mined everything you'd start running up against insurmountable odds as compared to just keeping your fleet minimal

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

I know I played a game where a boss or somesuch made copies of the party with the same abilities and if you didn't intentionally nerf your party it would be a veeeeery hard fight. Maybe Wild Arms 3?
wild arms 4 has a boss that creates shadow clones of your characters, and if anyone other than that character attacks their clone, the party member takes the same amount of damage

it wasn't that difficult though, WA4 in general was pretty easy once you get over the starting hump

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does the FF7 remake have that whistling teakettle noise when you cast magic like in the original? It’s a pretty cool noise

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

Does the FF7 remake have that whistling teakettle noise when you cast magic like in the original? It’s a pretty cool noise

No :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hatty posted:

If it was cool it's gone.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh spells come out too fast to even play that sound effect. you could shoot out 3 fires in the time it takes for it to finish playing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
are the enemies still bizarre jokey monstrosities or did they all get replaced with things that make sense

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

they have all the enemies from the first reactor in there.

even the wispy little eye monsters.

the roboguards now are like ninjas that evade your poo poo

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

al-azad posted:

There's only one driving focused section at the end of the game and it's an awesome chase against a giant loving drill machine that feels like you're running away from a graboid. I think there's only three Riddler races total and they're pretty straightforward.

As for everything else the Batmobile is a bulldozer and it's surprising how many obstacles you can just crash through. Use the tank mode as a drift/sudden stop for tight turns. Upgrade the launcher and turn Batman into superman as you spring a mile in the air, moving is so much fun I'll just cross the entirety of Gotham never touching the ground.

Well, that sounds sufficiently kickass enough to power through the weird driving as it is.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll forgive the removal of the magic noise of the Hell House is in and actually looks threatening

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
people emphasize hell house because it's the first truly bizarre FF7 enemy but there isn't a single enemy who isn't at least a little weird

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i know i've seen screenshots with those weird ghosts and also the long razor blade fish.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Relax Or DIE posted:

jrpg question: do any other games to the ff7 thing where the final boss powers up based on how much endgame bullshit you do?

Ff8 and skyrim and a bunch of rpgs scale with your level so that's just baked in

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so is the remake going to be menu based combat or are they changing that around at all? they tried to do a real time combat thing with final fantasy 15 right?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i would like to play FF7 remake because i never played the original so i would like to see how well it stands on its own without all the nostalgia

but i don't have a playstation and i have no idea when it's coming out on pc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

Riddler races

Wait what

Batman is like mario now where he pauses the story to play badminton with his enemies

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

so is the remake going to be menu based combat or are they changing that around at all? they tried to do a real time combat thing with final fantasy 15 right?

it's both, but also if you want it's got a wait mode like FFXV did (though it seems like it'll work better with what this is doing)

like by default you build up an atb bar in realtime with basic combos and then when you have a bar you can open the menu where the game slows way down and lets you choose your special stuff.

but also you can map those menu things to shortcuts like kingdom hearts so that you don't have to pause.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kerrzhe posted:

i would like to play FF7 remake because i never played the original so i would like to see how well it stands on its own without all the nostalgia

you can do that right now without waiting for the remake on most platforms

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Its super changed. That said, its a hybrid of 15 action combat with menus for some things, seems promising.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

it's got a year exclusivity thing so not until april 2021 until the earliest.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

it's both, but also if you want it's got a wait mode like FFXV did (though it seems like it'll work better with what this is doing)

like by default you build up an atb bar in realtime with basic combos and then when you have a bar you can open the menu where the game slows way down and lets you choose your special stuff.

but also you can map those menu things to shortcuts like kingdom hearts so that you don't have to pause.

so sort of a witcher 3 pulling up the tab wheel to pick a sign thing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

so sort of a witcher 3 pulling up the tab wheel to pick a sign thing

Yeah basically

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait what

Batman is like mario now where he pauses the story to play badminton with his enemies

they're time trial obstacle courses. classic riddler move

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's ATB but they know no one has an attention span anymore so they give you a button to mash while the bar fills up

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

you can do that right now without waiting for the remake on most platforms

there's no way i'm going to be able to endure playing the original.

i want to see the new version with the cool stuff added in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait what

Really I'm more impressed by the Riddler who has built city-sized infrastructure unknown to literally everyone but I guess that has always been his shtick since the awesome minotaur maze episode of Batman animated.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

in addition to what everyone else said, characters also have action gimmicks beyond just "repeatedly slash thing" or "repeatedly shoot thing" that are assigned to the triangle button

cloud's default is Operator (which is his classic forward-grip stance) that's used for raw damage or area control, since it comes with a massive sweep attack meant for hitting multiple enemies. triangle changes his stance to Punisher (sephiroth's over-the-shoulder grip, which is a nice touch) which slows his movement speed to a crawl but pours huge damage on single targets and also auto-counters any melee attacks he successfully guards. he can be knocked out of Punisher, though, so you can't just blitz through attacks and hope for the best

barret's more straightforward, his triangle command is basically a special shot volley that "loads" his filled ATB bars for extra damage and can then be mashed to reduce his cooldown for the next shot. the special also auto-tracks, which is helpful - i had one barrage kill a thing and then immediately change over to the nearest living thing mid-barrage

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 4, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The FF7 remake is so different from the original that it might as well be a totally new game so it's not really going to give you a sense how the original stands on it's own

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tell me you wouldn't play a twisted metal batman game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I finished up AI: the Somnuim Chronicles last night and drat what a good game.

I thought I was going to be bored by the ending cause I already figured out what was going on when I unlocked the second to last lock but the ending was still excellent and unexpected.

I didn't hate ZTD but AI blows it out of the water completely, Uchikoshi writes a lot better when it's a standalone experience.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kerrzhe posted:

Play the original FF7 because people still don't seem to know that the game is episode-based so the series won't be finished for like another 7+ years at LEAST

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

Tell me you wouldn't play a twisted metal batman game

I wouldn’t buy a twisted metal Batman game, at least.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is the new FF7 fan translation recommendable or is it overly literal garbage? The original script seemed fine to me as a dumb twelve year old but it’s pretty sloppy on a revisit

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Weedle posted:

they're time trial obstacle courses. classic riddler move

and batman is allowed infinite tries

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Andrast posted:

The FF7 remake is so different from the original that it might as well be a totally new game so it's not really going to give you a sense how the original stands on it's own

i'm not interested in how the original stands on its own. i'm sure it's fine.

the fact that the remake is so different is what interests me. to see if they can bring forward whatever it is people love about the original so much and present it in a way that is appealing to a modern gamer, visually and gameplay-wise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've resigned that I have to go into FF7R as its own thing right after seeing the little aside that Shinra has a "blow up reactor to blame the rebels" button on his phone. Part of the original's strong setting is how gross and lonely everything is. Like you blow up the reactor and the streets are eerily empty like nobody cares what's going on and sht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

Is the new FF7 fan translation recommendable or is it overly literal garbage? The original script seemed fine to me as a dumb twelve year old but it’s pretty sloppy on a revisit

thats just the actual writing of the game