Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm as shocked as other posters about this. (Only read What's Michael once, but loved it.)

So, does the series just end on that or...? How do you do a comic about a cat when you just killed the cat? As I sit here with my own 2 cats typing this, I have no desire to see panels of cat death; just curious where it goes from there.

I don't think that's the ending of the series. What's Michael tended to jump around in settings and concept a lot so in one strip he'd be an anthropomorphic cat living in a society of cats and the next he's just some guys pet.

Given how shocked everyone is by this, I'm considering digging it up again (I read it in an issue of Mangajin and it won't take me that long to go through my stuff to find it), but that comic legitimately disturbed me and I don't want to go back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't remember that part and it sounds like a bummer so let's remember Michael as he was at his best:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The wiki summary makes this series sound really fun and weird:

Michael sits on the railings in front of a manga artist, doing his cat things until the manga artist throws a lighter at his head and he falls to his death from the 7th floor.

Michael poses with a female nude model, but he just can't seem to be able sit still which makes the photo shoot take forever to finish.

An international terrorist shoots dead Michael's lady owner, then proceeds to shoot him, another cat who looks just like him that just happens to pass by, and a mother cat who looks like him and the kittens she's breastfeeding in the closet, but decides to give up because there are still so many other cats who look like him who was witnessing the whole assassination.

Michael is trying to hunt but fails, then for some reason just stands on his hind limbs and dances away, which confuses the terrorist from the previous chapter.

Michael, in human clothes, is interrogated by two cat policemen. He reportedly stole niboshi from the Monroe shop on third street, even left a paw print. In turn, he accuses one of the interrogators of not covering his poop with sand. They both deny accusations, but their obvious "guilty cat" body languages give it all away. In the end, all of them are still easily distracted cats, and just go on to chase flies and geckos.

Rocky is a very well-trained dog who's good at fetch. Michael, on the other hand, simply doesn't care as much as his owner wants him to.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think What's Michael was just like the weird experimental Garfield strips, there just weren't long intervals of "MONDAYS AM I RIGHT?" in between, nor did it become an entergaging restaurant concept.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Yeah, it's a joke manga.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

These are obviously edits.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lurdiak posted:

These are obviously edits.

Not an edit, but fanart. https://brakken-spideyverse.tumblr.com/comics

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Those are cute and funny pages but please put fanart in the fanart thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

This is from 2015's Spider-Verse #2, the story by Dan Slott and Ty Templeton. Not to be confused with 2019's Spider-Verse #2 which is by Ryan North and features the delightful Spider-Ma'am.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
As long as we’re discussing that, what spider-verse series and spin offs should I read? I’m curious but not enough to do any research.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Beerdeer posted:

As long as we’re discussing that, what spider-verse series and spin offs should I read? I’m curious but not enough to do any research.

The one with Spider-Punk

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Black Cat 10 was great, as usual.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Please tell me there's at least a few panels before that of Logan trying to blend in at a fancy party.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Black Cat 10 was great, as usual.

I don’t know why, but “MY BONES ARE MADE OF BONES!” Is making me laugh so hard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Crowetron posted:

Please tell me there's at least a few panels before that of Logan trying to blend in at a fancy party.

That's issue 9. When Logan is in Madripoor he's "Patches" someone who has all of Wolverine's powers and looks exactly like Wolverine but has an eyepatch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patch is obviously a completely different person. HE HAS AN EYEPATCH.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when he's Patch he tends to not pop his claws unless nobody else is around to see them or he's in a really desperate situation

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

when he's Patch he tends to not pop his claws unless nobody else is around to see them or he's in a really desperate situation

It makes more sense now because there's been a lot more people running around with claws and people who've seen Wolverine without his mask and know he's Wolverine are either dead or friends.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lois Lane #9

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Everyone knows Patch is Wolverine but nobody says anything because he has knife hands.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
why are we even talking about wolverine on a page with no wolverine?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #2 (1940)

Plastic Man #14 (1948)

The Incredible Hulk #176 (1974)

Marvel Premiere #28 (1976)

Iron Fist #15 (1977)

The Vision and the Scarlet Witch #2 (1985)

The Web #11 (1992)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Darthemed posted:

The Vision and the Scarlet Witch #2 (1985)
Wandavision has the potential to be so drat good

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Be careful who you talk to when you’re riding the rails! (Doctor Doom #6

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is- is Doom hoboing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doom AND Kang!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's weird, but for some reason I would actually expect Doom to respect hobo law and show hospitality to a fellow traveller.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's weird, but for some reason I would actually expect Doom to respect hobo law and show hospitality to a fellow traveller.

Normally yes, but for the sake of the plot he needed to violate it. That way at the end of the arc his violation can be used to deny him entry to Big Rock Candy Mountain thusly teaching him a vital lesson.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Darthemed posted:

The Web #11 (1992)

Thanks for reminding me The Crusaders was a thing that existed. The 90s were an XTREME lawless wasteland of delightful absurdity (And non-subtle ripoffs)

Bless :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you're in the middle of a brawl, a woman that jacked comes in to help the other side, and you take the time to make a comment like that? You deserve what's gonna happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Iron Fist #15 (1977)

Gonna try to start doing this when I host parties. The flames might be hard to pull off though...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Infinitum posted:

Thanks for reminding me The Crusaders was a thing that existed. The 90s were an XTREME lawless wasteland of delightful absurdity (And non-subtle ripoffs)

Who are you implying is the rip off?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the woman to the right of Black Hood who doesn't get her name on the cover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, neither WEB agent gets cover acknowledgment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, neither WEB agent gets cover acknowledgment.

Oh, I thought the guy in the middle was called "The Web" and then there was just some random chick off to the side, if they're supposed to be partners or a unit or whatever they should be next to each other and not have two different guys in between them.

I literally know nothing about Impact comics. If I was in a grade school argument where you pretend you're a superhero and debate about who you are and who could beat who, and it was entirely based around this cover, I would go play soccer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Impact WEB was like SHIELD but they all had yellow armor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Impact WEB was like SHIELD but they all had yellow armor.

Wasn't Impact Web one of the new things for Ben Reilly Spider-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I hope comet was nigh-invulnerable when he starts blastin'