Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean they did Stephanie and Bobbi Jo's story as a heroic struggle and Sugar was the foil for Corinne and Randy. So like, I get why they were "heroes". Not everyone's gonna like every "heroic" character the show "edits" and you're not gonna get a lot of purely good heroes in Survivor. But those initial characters they had fit.

Its why like I thought Sandra should have been a "hero" because her edit/story was being the foil and survivor vs Fairplay. Where as Candace was the one who betrayed Yul, Ozzy, & Co backed them into a corner they "heroically" fought out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sugar was on a season where it was like "gently caress with Sugar day" for weeks. She also fought and beat Randy's meanness dragon and he is still bleeding from those wounds today.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sugar is cool and everyone else except Matty and Bob were total dicks from that season so I’m one of the rare people okay with Gabon I guess. Corinne is such a miserable gently caress I really enjoyed seeing her lose.

I predict shuffle next episode. I also predict Advantagegeddon 2 at merge, where somebody gets Ciried out of the game by technicality.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't wait until they really start using their Mario Party coins

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

Sugar was on a season where it was like "gently caress with Sugar day" for weeks. She also fought and beat Randy's meanness dragon and he is still bleeding from those wounds today.

Yeah, like I get why some viewers might not like her but my memory of that season was literally two of the biggest assholes in Survivor history just trying to make her life miserable and then her playing a prank on them for revenge that made me laugh a lot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I thought the Sugar Shack was funny as hell because she found the idol/advantage (forget which) like immediately so she basically got to hang out in comfort and eat good food constantly because they kept sending her back thinking there was no way she could find it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I remember Sugar being fun. But like crying doesn't especially bother me and I was fine that she was a character and not much of a player. Especially since like if I remember it right Randy and Corinne were basically making a point to make sure she could never get her playing legs under her.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't feel like casting a 10 year old season, but they had more to split tribes by than "Who seems heroic?" Challenge performance/specialty. Gender. Alternates. Who they actually had available for a season.

The whole "This person is a villain and this person is a hero" is bad for reality shows anyway and I'm glad they've done away with it in the past decade.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Yeah I guess I'm more just sour on Gabon as a whole. Particularly about Bob winning because he is a pretty lame duck winner who most fans consider to be the worst winner by a pretty wide margin. I'd personally only rank Chris Underwood under him, and that's just because EoE is dumb and bad and isn't Survivor.

I agree with the above post though about Matty being the only good part of Gabon. Bob was nice, but he was a bad Survivor player and really only won because of Sugar (and Susie being somehow an even worse player).

Gabon is bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think its just that you shouldn't take "hero" and "villain" too morally. Its just kind of the style of play. But the reality is a lot of "hero" stories on Survivor are less because the player was some paragon of virtue and instead because they played the game from an underdog position. "Villains" are a little more easily definable if they're like notorious backstabbers or huge jerks.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bob still holds the title for best fake idol. :colbert:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
The Heroes vs. Villains tribe setup makes more sense if you look at the tribes as "Team of Survivor Players Jeff Thinks are Hot" vs. "Team of Survivor Players Jeff Thinks Make Good TV But Are Not Hot" and then for balance reasons production made him swap Parvati and Rob with Cirie and Rupert.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, that means Jeff wants to gently caress Tom but doesn't want to gently caress Danielle.

Which I can respect.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HvV is a good setup because it was a good excuse to drag Colby out there again and it's by far his most batshit and therefore best season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Hi, Colby."
"Hi, Jerri."

The finest story Survivor ever told.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gabon has the best Survivor love story :colbert:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I can't believe Matty hasn't been back. He would have been a great fit for "Second Chances". Dude was so endearing, like a little kid just having fun all the time.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
The fact that Coach was on the villains tribe was a travesty and even had almost every contestant on that season confused with his placement.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not sure THAT's the part of Coach that had them confused.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Well they couldn't do Heroes vs. Villains vs. Coach now could they?

Actually a giant statue of Coach sounds perfect.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I liked Gabon :shobon:

Sugar was endearing and fun, it had a Super Smash Bros pro, Bob was an amusing winner, and I always get a kick out of Matty smiling in that GIF. Plus it was back in the era where challenges were still cool.

I have no regrets about any of the four or five times I watched Gabon. Beats the hell out of Nicaragua or One World.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

BGrifter posted:

I liked Gabon :shobon:

Sugar was endearing and fun, it had a Super Smash Bros pro, Bob was an amusing winner, and I always get a kick out of Matty smiling in that GIF. Plus it was back in the era where challenges were still cool.

I have no regrets about any of the four or five times I watched Gabon. Beats the hell out of Nicaragua or One World.

I had seen every season of survivor but my boyfriend didn’t start until Worlds Apart (which was funny because he apparently went to school with Rodney and immediately recognized him) so we went back and marathoned old seasons. I thought Gabon held up really well on a rewatch - even if the strategy was sub-par I really liked how different the scenery / challenges were and that there were a whole bunch of “villains” to root against. I forgot that Kenny tried to guilt Bob into giving up immunity at f5 a la Micronesia, it was entertaining to watch him think he was a puppet master only to get Sugar’ed out of the game.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Murmur Twin posted:

I had seen every season of survivor but my boyfriend didn’t start until Worlds Apart (which was funny because he apparently went to school with Rodney and immediately recognized him) so we went back and marathoned old seasons. I thought Gabon held up really well on a rewatch - even if the strategy was sub-par I really liked how different the scenery / challenges were and that there were a whole bunch of “villains” to root against. I forgot that Kenny tried to guilt Bob into giving up immunity at f5 a la Micronesia, it was entertaining to watch him think he was a puppet master only to get Sugar’ed out of the game.

I rewatched Gabon in the past six months and would agree. It's a fun story to watch unfold, even with that final three. Sugar was chronically underestimated by other players; Matty has a great personality for TV and I want more Matty; Crystal and Kenny were entertaining. The Gabon landscape is so different from Fiji that it's a good palate cleanser of a season for me, along with Tocantins.

Edited to add that Randy is such a sourpuss it's hard not to laugh at his constant negativity. He kept me laughing all season with his grumpiness and general misfortune.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

pokeyman posted:

Actually a giant statue of Coach sounds perfect.

:hmmyes:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_S0uxBX9LE&t=71s

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Randy is awesome, he leans into being a dickhead so hard.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Big Taint posted:

Randy is awesome, he leans into being a dickhead so hard.

I don't remember the specifics of the conversation, but the scene in Gabon where he's talking to Matty and really leaning into it and discussing about how much he hates everyone and can't fake it like Matty can, and for a second Randy breaks and just can't keep up the charade... hilarious.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jeremy and Michele can vote out Adam now and then go forward right in the center of both Rob/Parv and Denise/Ben. They're in a fantastic position. I wonder if Denise would ever play her idol for Adam.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Considering Adam just betrayed her and tried to gently caress her she really shouldn't. I think he killed that alliance.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Here is the hottest take of all:

Adam played it fine. Rob made the mistake.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

curiousCat posted:

"fine" play would anticipate the likelihood of Rob making that "mistake" imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Every move is good if it works.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

curiousCat posted:

I think Rob improved his position.

-He lost Ethan instead of Parvati, but that's probably an upgrade for him.
-He bettered his status in the game by tanking Adam's standing within the tribe.
-He and Parv may now have the inside track to the majority with Jeremy and Michele

The only potential weakening of his position I can see is if Adam's "protection" was somehow going to give him a better path forward, but I don't really see it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Rob played that well. If he stays quiet he loses Parv as an ally and shield and either becomes a vulnerable target or at best becomes dependent on Adam's crumbs. And the only person who thinks Adam is a kingmaker is Adam.

Instead he keeps in the big target and ally in Parv and creates a new target in Adam and busts up the trust of the New School. Plus he keeps up the whole "Boston Rob" thing that he just kind of plays things straight by just coming to Jeremy and Michelle about the vote. That's not true obviously, but a big part of Rob's game is that whole "hey lets just lay it on the table, I play it straight thing" so you don't necessarily see when he knifes in the back.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

curiousCat posted:

Adam now has no allies in his tribe.

Rob still retains allies and has a chance of being neutered enough to have Jeremy bring him in.

Edit: he also has people on EoE (Ethan, and Amber) feeding him and his allies advantages. Adam has none of that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
HOOBRIS

Survivor 40: I Pooped My Pants Tonight

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

so 100% if sele loses, theres nooooo way adam doesn't go

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

on the other hand, maybe ethan will shake the edge up from the Natalie Show (i actually love the Natalie show)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Love that they upped the difficulty mode on Edge of Extinction to brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

i think i have to go back and watch natalie's season because this edge stuff is making me love the hell out of her

you go, girl