Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bust Rodd posted:

The endless D&D nerdlinger component of Fascism is so funny (kinda).

I used to run a LARPing summer camp, it was basically improv theater and combat sports, and we had a really great run of about 10 years, 5 of which I was Executive Director. Starting around 2013-2014, a big chunk of our campers turned into HARDCORE milsim nerds and went deep into airsoft/paintball tacticool stuff, and at first I was turned off by the heavy emphasis on guns for kids, but figured it was mostly harmless... until they started showing up with increasingly more and more German equipment and costuming and eventually I had to have a big sit down with everyone in 2016 and explain “there is no ironic fascism. I didn’t train you all to be Nazis, and we have a lot of Jewish and POC campers who aren’t happy. It’s not that we don’t “get” the joke, it’s that it’s not a joke, it’s using comedy as a smokescreen to obfuscate hate speech.”

So when Robert basically wrote a book about that exact thing that’s when I knew “drat this dude knows what’s up” and I’m not REMOTELY surprised to discover he’s a WH40K Grog.

same. most weird mililitary/scifi/40k nerds i know are pretty lefty and can separate out problematic/ironic areas of fandom and media. i mean i love 40k and loving ubisoft tom clancy games and i am running full bernie lefty person and can see through the weird ghoul chuds who try to use it as a trojan horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

From the Schadenfreude thread:

muscles like this! posted:

Noted garbage person Steven Seagal has been fined $314,000 by the SEC. Basically what happened was that he started making comments on social media about how great this cryptocurrency called "Bitcoiin2Gen" was and how it was the next best thing in crypto. What he didn't mention was that the company behind the coin was paying him for the endorsement and it turns out that failing to disclose a paid endorsement is illegal. Whoops.

https://gizmodo.com/steven-seagal-to-pay-over-330-000-to-the-sec-for-promo-1841955005

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I was both confused and alarmed when I fired up Worst Year Ever today only to be informed that it's being brought to me by a one Michael loving Bloomberg. UGH

Is there seriously no way for an individual show on the network to opt out of specific ads served up to them by IHeartMedia? Talk about bad optics...if only he could hear them saying what they really think about his old lovely rear end.

e: loved the episode though! :)

timp fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 28, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was a good episode but the Bloomberg ad really soured me, and after I listened to it I finally unfollowed Katy on Twitter because she literally won’t stop picking twitter fights over Bernie Bros. It’s crazy because I consider myself a fan of hers and have followed her work for years and never thought her to be fervent and unreasonable before but you can practically hear her ears turn off whenever anyone tries to suggest she’s off base. She’s just beating this weird war drum of “everything anyone says about Warren is 100% really about sexism” and there’s just no way to have a conversation with someone in that position. A shame. I hope future episodes of the three of them get back to a more interesting topics, I don’t know if I can take 8 more months of defending Warren and talking about online harrassment.

The furries story was like totally amazing, the VA gun episode was amazing, this Warren v Sanders stuff BLOWS. Today’s episode was fine, but it was 90% Ken talking so not really what I tune in for, informative though it may have been.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Billy Wayne recusing himself from talking about Knockers because of his accent has cemented him as my all time favorite guest.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Now that bloomberg's out it's a little irrelevant, but holy poo poo the bloomberg ep of worst year is such a cathartic hate-listen. I needed this.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Same Great Paste posted:

Now that bloomberg's out it's a little irrelevant, but holy poo poo the bloomberg ep of worst year is such a cathartic hate-listen. I needed this.

The first 15 minutes are one person dominating the conversation to whine about their Twitter interactions and talk about how Bernie bros are too angry while claiming to have voted for Bernie anyways and then talking over anyone who tries to add in

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

The first 15 minutes are one person dominating the conversation to whine about their Twitter interactions and talk about how Bernie bros are too angry while claiming to have voted for Bernie anyways and then talking over anyone who tries to add in

Are you sure you aren’t talking about the completely different Super Tuesday episode?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Oh yeah, my bad I still have the Bloomberg one in queue

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

terrorist ambulance posted:

It’s frustrating because it’s like, Katy maybe just log off? Like it’s obvious she can’t help but take every single attack personally, and I will never claim to understand what being a woman online means, but what really steamed me up was about 4-5 episodes ago, Cody was like “yes, I hear you, and ALSO every time I say or post anything about Bernie I am immediately called a disgusting sexist pig Bernie bro and I understand how awful and dehumanizing that can be” and she just goes “well it’s not the same!”.

I think it just feels more noticeable because it’s such a dramatic dip in quality from their other content. I know Sophie is busy having the world’s cutest dog but it’s kind of crazy to me how much of Katy’s actual “Bernie Bro” narrative stuff gets left in.

The hosed up thing is that this online interaction can literally only happen to you if you choose to engage with it. Like if you stay off Twitter, or simply mute your own tweets after you make them, then this toxicity simply doesn’t happen to you. No one in real life is walking up to you and making these comments, so if the online toxicity of Sanders vs Warren is seriously so denigrating that you have now spent over a month venting about it to your 75%+ Sanders supporters base, maybe just stop getting into twitter battles... at all?

I’m honestly leaving more of their content in the queue than normal, because sometimes I feel like Katy is, perhaps unknowingly, attacking her own audience while saying things we really disagree with and honestly saying things we just don’t think are true.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It may even be true it's just not interesting. It's the most facile analysis possible.

If I wanted to listen people talk about how bernie bros need to do some growth and maybe think about what they're doing?? I'd just watch MSNBC. That was the actual mayo pete line if attack

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bernie Bros aren't real.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
This conversation is crucial and so crucial that it should maybe be had...elsewhere.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

teen witch posted:

This conversation is crucial and so crucial that it should maybe be had...elsewhere.

Probably. It's just so frustrating, you know?

It's like a self-inflicted Stand Alone Complex. Bernie Bros where cynically mad eup by the Hillary campaign and 2016 and somehow a large amount of people have convinced themselves they are real and react to every slightly negative comment from the left as if they were harassment attacks from the mythical Bernie Bros.

It's the liberal equivalent of gang-stalking.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just want to pop in to say I listened to it could happen here (yes im late I know).

God drat.

I also cried at the end because I guess im old and have emotions now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ryanmrichardson/status/1237890245980348416

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's like a self-inflicted Stand Alone Complex. Bernie Bros where cynically mad eup by the Hillary campaign and 2016 and somehow a large amount of people have convinced themselves they are real and react to every slightly negative comment from the left as if they were harassment attacks from the mythical Bernie Bros.
Wait until people realize that the Soviet Union didn't conspire with Mitch McConnell to steal the election.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The person who invented the Bernie Bros bullshit deserves to be covered as a Bastard.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
yesss its LRH/Jack Parsons

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

yesss its LRH/Jack Parsons

YESSSSSSSSSS

As an occultist I’m loving HYPED

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Scientology episodes are probably in the top 10 of the entire show really just unbelievable

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can never explain Scientology to other people because they never believe me even about the basic stuff.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bust Rodd posted:

The Scientology episodes are probably in the top 10 of the entire show really just unbelievable

Yeah, it's wild to get to the end of the first three parts and get hit with "LRH lived for another 10 years" because that guy crammed a lot of his nonsense into his life.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I hadn't even fired up my podcast app when I saw the Out Of Context Behind The Bastards Twitter account (pro follow btw) say something about LRH summoning a sex demon with your best friend by jacking off in the Mojave and immediately went "oh poo poo yes a Jack Parsons ep"

I will admit that the mispronounciation of Agape made me a little sad but gently caress it, Robert's not an occult expert or anything

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“Mid-wolf” oh you mean

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WorstYearPod/status/1240074390806515712

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I didn't know anything about the Freebirth movement so my eyes were just growing in horror as this episode went on.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Just listened to today's Worst Year Ever, and drat, Robert has another podcast coming out. I'm assuming it's going to be a mini-series like the War on Everything was.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shinji2015 posted:

Just listened to today's Worst Year Ever, and drat, Robert has another podcast coming out. I'm assuming it's going to be a mini-series like the War on Everything was.

whats it about?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats it about?

I think it's the Rojava podcast he was trying to do

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey Bob,
As probably someone's doctor, maybe it's time to chill with the live shows. I enjoyed the surprise back to back episodes, but please stay safe.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
they're from a while back, aren't they?

the joke in the second one about the interview with the guy who died is probably one of the best jokes ever made in the show

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

neongrey posted:

the joke in the second one about the interview with the guy who died is probably one of the best jokes ever made in the show

yeah, I think that's the hardest I've ever laughed while doing an episode

David X. Cohen is truly a wonderful person. He was also instantly on board to recklessly wield a machete on stage while strangers pelted him with bread products. Every now and then you get to meet one of your heroes and they completely live up to the hype.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thanks for all the content Robert! It’s really comforting having some laughs and some learnin’ while we’re all cooped up!

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004

GunFondler42069 posted:

yeah, I think that's the hardest I've ever laughed while doing an episode

David X. Cohen is truly a wonderful person. He was also instantly on board to recklessly wield a machete on stage while strangers pelted him with bread products. Every now and then you get to meet one of your heroes and they completely live up to the hype.

I'm not a religious or spiritual person, but you are doing the modern Internet-Age version of "God's Work". Keep being awesome.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

neongrey posted:

I listened to this at work, and that joke was a bees dick away from me doing a literal spit take over my PC.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Since apparently Robert's posting here, I just wanted to say thanks for the last few episodes of Worst Year Ever. I'm not in West Texas anymore, but it is where I was born and according to some friends back home it has helped to give ideas and hope in how to deal with what's going on in the face of a society and a government that doesn't give a poo poo. A podcast is not going to change things overnight but it is helping a place that desperately needs to hear how solidarity and mutual aid can work even in the smallest spaces in the face of the capitalist volcano god.

In the mean time my grandma who survived the goddam Shoah in her childhood is already hospitalized in Tarrant County, my mom and step-dad in Lubbock are exposed and self-isolating, and here in the Bronx among me and my roomies the parasocial relationship, the hating on known bastards, and the sometimes funny sometimes informative podcasting helps deal with being broke and unable to go outside. Thanks for doing what you're doing.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
a quantum subject of the podcast has tested positive for COVID

https://twitter.com/JoeyMulinaro/status/1244084522305703941

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

a quantum subject of the podcast has tested positive for COVID

https://twitter.com/JoeyMulinaro/status/1244084522305703941

no comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey Robert since you read this thread sometimes I would love to ask you and Cody and Katy how you all feel about starting a podcast called “Worst Year Ever” and then extinction level events occurring!

I’m just asking because Cody is has always sort of employed this incredible energy in his performance and readings because of clearly pent up rage and frustration. He’s always seemed like a drat about to burst, that’s part of his newsman ruffled collar charm, but he really lets the mask off in the last episode of Even More News and just openly weeps. I certainly wasn’t ready for it but it was a powerful island of humanity in this isolated time. The humor in your shows is very strong and almost never coming from a very “feelsy” kind of place but after listening to you all for years it was crazy how strong my response was, because you guys are my friends hanging out with me in my car all day, every day, while I’m at work.

I see now that as entertainers and educators and community leaders, the three of you called this shot from a long way off and now you’re all trying like hell to keep the ship from sinking and the content you folks put out is very valuable to me. Please stay safe and sane as best you can.