Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Weird races are fun to play as so go nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Jeez, you guys. Just because someone has lizard skin, or feathers, or several legs and an exoskeleton doesn't mean they aren't human.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The important part is to make sure your PC has the sort of motivation where they are willing to get themselves killed over something a normal person wouldn't.

Paramemetic posted:

I can't speak to the podcast scene since I just play, but 5e has a balance that prefers to give buffs but not debuffs on races. Some races it still debuffs (Kobolds at -2 str) but it's still less than the same races in 3.5 (-4 str for Kobolds)!

So it's possible to be unique races and still actually be optimized for a class.

But it also added Variant Humans that gain a feat and still get a +1 stat, because the gods of D&D demand humans be the objectively best race even today.

(it's actually kobolds tho, and kenku)

The actual debuffs in 3.x were not things like -4 str, but -2 or more levels. Kobolds were decently powerful PC classes compared to Drow or Svirfneblin for this reason.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Patware posted:

thanks travis...

Thank Travis for Travis!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Who What Now posted:

Thank Travis for Travis!
This but unironically.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What made you think I was ironic?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It just occurs to me that I dont properly know what killing an angel actually means.

We've been told Zoss killed the prime angels, and their regrowing forms now exist in the void. We've seen a false shell blow up. We've seen an angel banished from their shell multiple times. We're told Zoss chased angels into the void to kill them there. Is it a multi part process? Smash the shell then confront them in the void? Does destroying a shell cause enough damage to fling them back to the void and begin resurrection?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

It just occurs to me that I dont properly know what killing an angel actually means.

We've been told Zoss killed the prime angels, and their regrowing forms now exist in the void. We've seen a false shell blow up. We've seen an angel banished from their shell multiple times. We're told Zoss chased angels into the void to kill them there. Is it a multi part process? Smash the shell then confront them in the void? Does destroying a shell cause enough damage to fling them back to the void and begin resurrection?

As I understand, smashing the shell while an angel's inhabiting it sends them back to the Void and might kill them, forcing them to begin the long process of reincarnation, while finishing them off in the Void will definitely accomplish this. If Delicious' death is any indication, angels that are actually slain petrify, so it's pretty clear that they are for real dead and not just in need of a new body.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

An angel will be sent back to the void if killed in the physical, and if their death in the physical is violent enough it'll kill them in the void too and force them into regeneration. This is apparently fairly rare.

I would imagine projecting beyond her armour like White Chain is makes it more likely, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 5, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

Jeez, you guys. Just because someone has lizard skin, or feathers, or several legs and an exoskeleton doesn't mean they aren't human.

Please imagine I posted a GIF of Spock saying "I find that sentiment offensive"

ConfusedUs posted:

I've done my duty to K6BD-up my own D&D group.

The main party has my wizard who is Royal As gently caress. Learned magic because he didn't want to actually do chores around the house; his first spell was Unseen Servant. He told the laws of nature to STFU and do the dishes. Acts as the face of the party, and yet his Charisma is 8. Has managed to get paid by both parties in multiple side missions through a combination of rules lawyering the agreements and utterly disregarding them. It's a joke that there's no plot hook too large for him to ignore.

Character portrait is here: https://www.deviantart.com/mattrhodesart/art/We-are-NOT-taking-the-wizard-626887777 (The picture came first. I decided I just had to roleplay this guy. My DM has posted in the comments about it.)

And to tie it back to that tweet, we have an Ogre chef in our backup party! Which also has a monk heavily based on Maya.

I really hope your atrocious wizard is wearing the atrocious boots that are just an entire penguin stretched over each foot

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Tulip posted:

The important part is to make sure your PC has the sort of motivation where they are willing to get themselves killed over something a normal person wouldn't.

The actual debuffs in 3.x were not things like -4 str, but -2 or more levels. Kobolds were decently powerful PC classes compared to Drow or Svirfneblin for this reason.

Yeah I didn't even want to get into the whole monster levels shenanigans.

I mean sometimes it didn't even come out right because some monsters were so powerful. I had a quasit once that put in work.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Thank Travis for Travis!

this but ironically but not too ironically just kind of ironically contingent on whether or not he gets better at dming

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Mindblast posted:

Old angel siegmeyer asking for forgiveness? He better be powering up some rad move. He already had four arms. Maybe he's gonna pull an Asura's Wrath.

I want vg Asura very badly

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Patware posted:

this but ironically but not too ironically just kind of ironically contingent on whether or not he gets better at dming
It's his first game! Episode 8 of Balance was just barely out of Here There Be Gerblins.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Trouble is, Here There Be Gerblins had much more conflict, action and general antagonism. Of course that in itself isn't what makes a story good, but it's an important ingredient in creating contrast and giving stakes to a narrative.

In Graduation it took 8 episodes and roughly 12 hours of recording before they got their first actual kill (skeletons were training and the lava monsters ran away). There have been very few antagonistic character interactions and it has sort of hamstrung character development. It's a much more... child-proofed experience than Balance ever was.

That said, Mission: Imp Hospital was a great change of pace. I think Travis is learning a lot as he goes along, though I'm still hoping for more scene-setting and descriptive language as it can be a bit hard to visualize what's going on, as he seems to sort of default to direct dialogue, which probably feels more natural to him as a theatre guy.

Looking back, I loved seeing Travis DMing the Dust mini-campaign and it's frankly a bit odd to see how different Dust Travis and Graduation Travis are from each other, pretty much none of my misgivings about Graduation were present in Dust.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i will forever think of a roleplayer going deleteriously self-indulgent as "crab dancing"

but yeah - i thought dust ruled even if it was a rare thing where clint's character was kind of a dud. this is more like travis's thieves guild stuff, the ones that started with horrific exposition bricks

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
I love the bits of lore under the comics. For a long time I was wondering why the prayer before violence opened by asking Aesma for forgiveness, and now my questions are answered!

quote:

“It is often speculated upon why Concordant Knights start their pre-combat prayer for forgiveness of violence with an attempt to propitiate Aesma, by far the most violent, rampant, and willful of the gods. The answer, as I was told by one particularly old angel who held watch over a decaying section of the king’s road, is extremely simple: if anything was horrendous enough to offend Aesma, it was enough to offend all the other multitudes of gods, thus the prayer is started by opening the largest flood gate of them all, so to speak.”

– Musko Reeve, Manual of Hands and Feet

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
how many legs y'all think 10 VG got under there

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pyrus Malus posted:

how many legs y'all think 10 VG got under there

Yes

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1235667585124855809

(the pipe should have been a dead giveaway)

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

That's a solid mouse on E'Nara's trunk there

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah as soon as i saw that pipe and the extremely k6b totem-on-a-stick i fuckin' knew it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How would crocodiles be able to speak like man if they have no lips and great maws? :thunk:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

by being royal

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Grouchio posted:

How would crocodiles be able to speak like man if they have no lips and great maws? :thunk:

some species of crocodiles have two tongues that they may pass air through and manipulate like lips in order to speak our languages

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
https://twitter.com/suplex24/status/1235281401148100609

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

https://twitter.com/6Drillion/status/1236000460118638592

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am excited to learn what "purging the horizon" looks like.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Update tommorow due to taxes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

I am excited to learn what "purging the horizon" looks like.

I mean, the name does rather suggest eye beams.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m like super late to the RPG character talk but back when I actually had a group we were going to try and do a K6BD game. My character was an angel The Law with a giant rifle that basically shot chunks of his own cold white flame at whatever he wanted dead. Because nothing says stupidly single-minded angel mindset like using bullets made of your own self.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Here's a reponse to the preview page
What The gently caress

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I’m like super late to the RPG character talk but back when I actually had a group we were going to try and do a K6BD game. My character was an angel The Law with a giant rifle that basically shot chunks of his own cold white flame at whatever he wanted dead. Because nothing says stupidly single-minded angel mindset like using bullets made of your own self.

i ended up with a druglord-slash-cult leader Boss that wanted his crew kitted out like Yakuza, a Hunter that evaporated people by popping out of nowhere and stabbing them in the face with a snake they kept up their sleeve, a Law that would stop combat to demand defeated enemies chug warm Natty Ice, and a glam rock Hunger that wasnt very outspoken but somehow managed to gently caress me over at every turn

it was awesome. i cannot recommend Broken Worlds highly enough with the caveat that all players should abide by the Mathangi Mantra Ten Meti maxim and be habitually drunk

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My broken worlds character was The Fated, a rural priestess who only thrived in absolute crisis, and after tasting victory against an invasion by Mottom, devolved in oblivion and drunkenness and absent parenting, only briefly gaining clarity when her old friends dragged her out of retirement to once again smash the demiurges.

Broken Worlds rules.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tulip posted:

Broken Worlds rules.

it loving rules!!! just do whatever stupid poo poo crosses your mind

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Xand_Man posted:

Here's a reponse to the preview page
What The gently caress

It's certainly something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

it loving rules!!! just do whatever stupid poo poo crosses your mind

I would absolutely love to play a Discord game if anyone wants to put one together.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1236436033144852480

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
it's like a jedi using the force to turn an opponent's lightsaber off, I think I'd also have to just sit there and have a cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i like that she parked the wheel nearby