Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

If disney didn't want people thinking about Ariel's tits they wouldn't have given her a clamshell bikini.

Ariel is literally a teenager in the disney movie.

Subtle Movie Moment: prince eric is a pedophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Most Disney Princesses are 15 at best.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

value-brand cereal posted:

Ariel is literally a teenager in the disney movie.

Subtle Movie Moment: prince eric is a pedophile.

That was his 18th birthday on the ship. So maybe barely a pedophile, but definitely the sad HS senior that has to date freshmen girls.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's why we have Romeo and Filet laws

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

Most Disney Princesses are 15 at best.

Same but Mary in the Bible

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RandomFerret posted:

That's why we have Romeo and Filet laws

:perfect:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Took me a sec but very nice.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Ariel is explicitly stated to be 16 in the movie. according to an extremely cursory Google search they're all 16+ except snow white and we knew that one already

trap sprung but Ariel and Eric is like...not weird at all? that's 16 and barely-18, that's high school. much more than that and it'd be pushing "ok no stop now" territory though, some of the other Disney movies are a lot weirder about it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheKennedys posted:

Ariel is explicitly stated to be 16 in the movie. according to an extremely cursory Google search they're all 16+ except snow white and we knew that one already

trap sprung but Ariel and Eric is like...not weird at all? that's 16 and barely-18, that's high school. much more than that and it'd be pushing "ok no stop now" territory though, some of the other Disney movies are a lot weirder about it

But is she 16 in human years or in demi-fish years???

Edit:
AND I WANT SOMETHING ELSE
TO GET ME THROUGH THIS
DEMI-FISH KIND OF LIFE
BABY BABY

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Well thanks guys. Now I just wondered if mermaids are born from eggs or what? If you turn Ariel upside down can you squeeze caviar out of her?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They have a kid in the direct to video sequel so apparently they had enough compatibility there. Mermaid anatomy jokes have been almost done to death mind.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They have a kid in the direct to video sequel so apparently they had enough compatibility there. Mermaid anatomy jokes have been almost done to death mind.

I haven't seen it but I assume she's fully human in the sequel? I would chalk that up to the magic that gave her legs also giving her the human anatomy to give birth. It's obviously a situation where you can rule out mermaid caviar.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I wonder what it would smell like haha

Edit: I'm just curious for laughs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sequel. It makes me want to give a nine year old girl the original story to read. loving sequel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jedit posted:

Sequel. It makes me want to give a nine year old girl the original story to read. loving sequel.

The sequel has one of the most realistically horrifying scenes in a Disney animated movie, where a girl very nearly drowns alone in an underwater cave, so if anything the sequel would prepare them a little better for the original story.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Jedit posted:

giving kids who've only seen the Disney movies a copy of Grimm/Andersen/etc seems like a great way to collect the tears of dismay and horror that fuel hellworld

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The main theme for Beauty and the Beast is loving terrible because you can just sing "Beauty and the Beast" for literally every line in the entire goddamn song.

This reminds me of "Oh Christmas Tree", sung by none other than Ernest P Worrell.

:discourse:

Goddamn, I miss Ernest/Jim Varney.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The rule of good Superman songs is you can sing "SUPERMAN" along with them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
A very subtle movie moment, the title of Gattaca uses only the letters a t c and g, also the chemicals that make up DNA 🧬.

I feel incredibly dumb having realized this earlier tonight while on the toilet, having seen the movie a few times.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She could have squirted out the eggs and he jizzed on them, like papa Neptune did.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Ariel is only wearing a bra for half of the movie

I’m body positive; positive that filthy body should have been covered up!

Her world is a nudist colony that shames mammal tits only (and only on women!!)
hosed up

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A very subtle movie moment, the title of Gattaca uses only the letters a t c and g, also the chemicals that make up DNA 🧬.

I feel incredibly dumb having realized this earlier tonight while on the toilet, having seen the movie a few times.

https://twitter.com/tarasyoung/status/1233387022343118853

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Doesn't the title sequence literally show that?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Krankenstyle posted:

I don't think it was obvious, I didn't realize it until like 10 years ago.

I went and checked. Apparently they bold those letters in the opening sequence. Guess I just didn't notice

Croatoan has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Mar 3, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah fair enough. I remembered it as more explicit, with a DNA sequence being shown

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Krankenstyle posted:

Really when you get down to it 'Subtle' is rather subjective. I hate to denigrate my fellow goons.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Also, to be completely honest I probably haven't seen the title sequence since the movie came out. It's been years since I've caught it in the wild, but mostly it's one of those "oh poo poo, that's in? Cool." kinda films.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Page 1 has someone saying the end of Inception is subtle

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Also, to be completely honest I probably haven't seen the title sequence since the movie came out. It's been years since I've caught it in the wild, but mostly it's one of those "oh poo poo, that's in? Cool." kinda films.

Kinda like how I didn’t see the first ten minutes of The Shawshank Redemption until the twentieth time I had seen it? It was one of those movies I’d always leave on if I saw it while channel surfing but never tuned into it in advance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Kinda like how I didn’t see the first ten minutes of The Shawshank Redemption until the twentieth time I had seen it? It was one of those movies I’d always leave on if I saw it while channel surfing but never tuned into it in advance.

This happened to me with Predator. Saw it about a hundred times growing up on cable t.v. but I guess I never started right from the opening credits because when I sat down to watch it in my mid-20s I absolutely did not remember that they show a spaceship arriving on Earth at the beginning.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Croatoan posted:

I don't think it was obvious, I didn't realize it until like 10 years ago.

I went and checked. Apparently they bold those letters in the opening sequence. Guess I just didn't notice

don't feel bad, guy.

i didn't realize saul goodman was a play on "it's all good, man" until he literally explained it in an episode in season 2 of his spinoff show

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Basebf555 posted:

This happened to me with Predator. Saw it about a hundred times growing up on cable t.v. but I guess I never started right from the opening credits because when I sat down to watch it in my mid-20s I absolutely did not remember that they show a spaceship arriving on Earth at the beginning.
Do people complain about that ruining the "twist" like they do with The Thing? :v:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Do people complain about that ruining the "twist" like they do with The Thing? :v:

Yea I think they do actually. Hard for me to judge because I literally can't remember a time when I didn't know what happens in Predator.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably said itt before, but the first two Predator movies do an interesting thing where they seem set up for a more standard action movie of the time that turns into a horror movie when a heavily armed alien starts picking people off with little apparent rhyme or reason.

Kind of a forgotten theme about horror stories is that a lot of the classic ones present themselves as a different genre that a terrible, mysterious monster intrudes upon. At the Mountains of Madness comes to mind, a lot of Lovecraft stuff to some degree.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pilchenstein posted:

I've seen it come up in discussion in CD

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also came up in the irritating moments thread a couple years ago :v:

Biplane posted:

you see the UFO land in the original the Thing?? I can seriously not remember that.

(Predator mentioned by yours truly a couple posts down)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Mars Attacks is more our speed now.

Full of subtlety.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think they do actually. Hard for me to judge because I literally can't remember a time when I didn't know what happens in Predator.

That's perfectly fine-- you're supposed to! Imagine watching Predator in the theater for the first time. They have to give you a taste of what's to come to get you through the whole faux first act and to supplement Maria's story about the legends because there's no other way to 'complete' the premise. The movie needs you to remember the half-plot you already kinda know as it makes its way towards the reveal, because it would be a twist out of nowhere if an alien just showed up in the middle of a rad action flick. Which would still be cool but very puzzling.

The Thing is a creeping progressive reveal inching out of the shadows that's only resolved halfway through when they watch the footage from the Norwegian base of finding a ship in the ice, and the monstrous survivor in the ice block. Aha! That's what the Norwegians found, why they were trying to kill the dog at all costs, and how they doomed themselves and maybe the world! The ship in the beginning is a big dumb flag reading 'IT'S ALIENS JUST WAIT IT'LL BE COOL' because the producers were hedging their bets against you being stupid or getting bored... somehow. It's just the worst goddamn decision that is only mostly ignored because of how insanely good every other decision was.

Psycho: They show Mrs. Bates dying and Norman weeping before having an 'I have an evil idea' look directly towards the camera in the trailer

Citizen Kane: Opening credits preceded by b-roll of orphans sledding in front of Rosebud Sled Corp.

Hateful Eight: Characters keep stopping and asking the audience directly if anyone heard thumping/giggling from the floor

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Goons also have a conspiracy theory that From Dusk Till Dawn was supposed to be a heist movie until a shocking twist Midway through reveals vampires but it was ruined by marketing.

They can never cite a source on that though, unlike Terminator 2 where they can cite a source saying Arnold as a good guy was supposed to be a twist that was ruined by marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting George Clooney was in Dust Til Dawn. Like I remember Tarantino, Hayek, and Keitel, but I'm face blind on Clooney even though he's one of only two characters who survived. Maybe because it's so different than any other film he's done since.

I do remember being very surprised in theaters when it became a vampire movie.