Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/StefWilliams25/status/1235219307820388352

man, that's a lot of bad dates! All I have is this extremely successful long-term relationship with my wife starting from college and lasting over a decade since then with no sign of slowing down

man I feel pretty owned right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Communist Thoughts posted:

whats weird is bernie has loads of strengths that corbyn didnt but then his campaign is running the corbyn playbook anyway

i was like "oh im jealous, bernie has a voting coalition and he's popular and people don't think hes a communist maniac" and then he runs on a platform of revolution and turning out new voters instead of appealing to voters who vote as a sorta FDR type.

hopefully its not too late but they haven't really been playing to his strengths very well imo.

i've been thinking a lot about this since the UK GE I guess, the left's strategy needs changing cause its becoming apparent we do need moderates in our voting coalition and the current strat is basically "no we'll just ride roughshod over them" then we lose

That's because the moderates aren't willing to let the left lead. We can have moderates in our voting coalition if our coalition is moderates in charge with the left being captive voters, but not if the left ever wants to be even equal partners.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

it is incredible that the democrats have sucked so long that the republicans themselves had to split with them and absorb the leftover whigs before the civil war. the real OG

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

like a hum in the background they’ve just always had at their core essential succ

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Phigs posted:

That's because the moderates aren't willing to let the left lead. We can have moderates in our voting coalition if our coalition is moderates in charge with the left being captive voters, but not if the left ever wants to be even equal partners.

im not talking about like moderate candidates, media or politicians or whatever, they're doomed, moderate voters can be swung though especially since a lot of leftwing stuff, especially bernie's platform is just common sense stuff.
the campaign framing it as revolutionary rather than just new deal dem or whatever was a mistake imo. what we're pretty clearly seeing is that scared people go for stability over revolution.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
left candidates have to play nice and be saints because capital control of the media that liberal normies watch is all pervasive

conservatives/right wingers have lost faith in traditional media and thats why CNN/MSNBC crying about nasty ol trump has no effect on them. even FOX was massively anti trump during the republican primaries and it didnt matter

mush brain and senile old libs watch those channels all day and if you had a huey long type instead of sanders they'd go ham on him and sanders wouldn't even be in the near-tie striking distance delegate position he is now.

the problem isn't the message, chopping and changing and refining it is rearranging deck chairs, the problem is CONTROL OF THE MEDIUM

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Lord of Pie posted:

One thing I've discovered this cycle is that every Star Trek cast member is succ as hell

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1235380997363060736

I don't really understand the idiot centrist Dem argument of "We need to bring moderate Republicans to our side" ignoring that a. moderate Republicans barely exist b. even if most Americans hate him, Trump has very high approval among Republicans c. even if such shifts could happen in significant numbers, so-called disillusioned Republicans change their minds more quickly than a teenage boy develops new crushes. How about we maybe possibly work towards firing up likely Dem voters, new voter outreach, etc, and not aiming for dumbass conservatives who detest Biden, Bernie, and every other liberal-aligned politician in the nation?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gotta just secure those new votes folks.
*new votes are phantom votes that only exist in the hq which is revealed to be a bunker*
They will be coming to save us any day now!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the campaign framing it as revolutionary rather than just new deal dem or whatever was a mistake imo. what we're pretty clearly seeing is that scared people go for stability over revolution.

the media is not going to stop framing Sanders as a radical just because he says he isn't one

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

*new votes are phantom votes that only exist in the hq which is revealed to be a bunker*

the succ is coming from inside the zone

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

whats weird is bernie has loads of strengths that corbyn didnt but then his campaign is running the corbyn playbook anyway

i was like "oh im jealous, bernie has a voting coalition and he's popular and people don't think hes a communist maniac" and then he runs on a platform of revolution and turning out new voters instead of appealing to voters who vote as a sorta FDR type.

hopefully its not too late but they haven't really been playing to his strengths very well imo.

i've been thinking a lot about this since the UK GE I guess, the left's strategy needs changing cause its becoming apparent we do need moderates in our voting coalition and the current strat is basically "no we'll just ride roughshod over them" then we lose

Bleh, it's me the Moderate Candidate that just stops the olds from reading the Daily Mail. You absolutely do need to run on revolution, because you need to excite people to knock doors for you. The media won't do that for you even if you make your health care plan shittier and you promise to bomb a few more countries.

loquacius posted:

man, that's a lot of bad dates! All I have is this extremely successful long-term relationship with my wife starting from college and lasting over a decade since then with no sign of slowing down

She certainly seems like a good judge of character.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mila kunis posted:

the succ is coming from inside the zone

Keep loving that chicken

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Eponymouse posted:

Regarding this and how nearly half of voters decide who to vote for a few days before the election, I've been thinking, what if caucuses aren't such a bad idea? You have to take time to think about who you're going to vote for, you get to hear people argue the case for other candidates, you can change your mind. I'm not saying they are better in general or they're feasible on a large scale, just that in a country as uniquely dumb as the United States with its diseased, deliberately misinforming media culture, maybe forcing people to take time to deliberate who they'll vote for isn't such a bad thing.

Anyway, Bernie's gonna win.

secret balloting is sacrosanct to a valid election and welp caucuses are not that so no, absolutely not

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I don't really understand the idiot centrist Dem argument of "We need to bring moderate Republicans to our side" ignoring that a. moderate Republicans barely exist b. even if most Americans hate him, Trump has very high approval among Republicans c. even if such shifts could happen in significant numbers, so-called disillusioned Republicans change their minds more quickly than a teenage boy develops new crushes. How about we maybe possibly work towards firing up likely Dem voters, new voter outreach, etc, and not aiming for dumbass conservatives who detest Biden, Bernie, and every other liberal-aligned politician in the nation?

Because Dems live in a terrible world where people don't actually want change, they want a people to get things done which means going to the right at all times. Low voting turnouts and them consistently losing to the worst people on the planet is :shrug:

And when there is a chance that a candidate could do that there is endless hand wringing of "Electability" and "Too far left!"

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Succbot Circlejerk posted:

gently caress you I'm not giving you six and a half minutes of my life to watch your dumbass YouTuber personality anti Trump video

drat you missed out on a good vid, sorry about your zoomer brain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

I mean even if we grant that there are no new votes to be tapped out there, then you'd at least need to win over every Democrat voter who sat out 2016 because Clinton sucked

and Biden isn't going to do that, either

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

You're going to be shocked to hear this but there are once again exit poll irregularities http://tdmsresearch.com/2020/03/02/south-carolina-2020-democratic-party-primary/

No idea how reliable/meaningful this is but take a guess who benefitted.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean even if we grant that there are no new votes to be tapped out there, then you'd at least need to win over every Democrat voter who sat out 2016 because Clinton sucked

and Biden isn't going to do that, either

I mean definitely which is why Bernie needs to pivot to a direct electability arguement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Acelerion posted:

You're going to be shocked to hear this but there are once again exit poll irregularities http://tdmsresearch.com/2020/03/02/south-carolina-2020-democratic-party-primary/

No idea how reliable/meaningful this is but take a guess who benefitted.

Diebold strikes again

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
democracy lmao

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

if turnout here had been higher than say 30%, they would only finish voting roughly in time for the 2024 olympics. which is again a feature not a bug. they don't want young uns voting and the young uns correctly say well gently caress you then pal. im off to chase some tail, do some tik toking. i don't know how young people speak but you get the idea.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

im not talking about like moderate candidates, media or politicians or whatever, they're doomed, moderate voters can be swung though especially since a lot of leftwing stuff, especially bernie's platform is just common sense stuff.

I think there's sense to what you're saying, but there's also massive dividends to being seen as the "change candidate", and to a large extent Bernie's approach has been baked in for decades. He is an anti-establishment figure, and the strategy of this movement has always been to build a political, well, movement that lasts beyond a single election.

Let's not write a post-mortem just yet, as this campaign is still very much alive.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

I think there's sense to what you're saying, but there's also massive dividends to being seen as the "change candidate", and to a large extent Bernie's approach has been baked in for decades. He is an anti-establishment figure, and the strategy of this movement has always been to build a political, well, movement that lasts beyond a single election.

Let's not write a post-mortem just yet, as this campaign is still very much alive.

It absolutely blows my mind that people wanted Buttigieg because he was the "outside the establishment candidate."

Motherfucker was like he was grown in a vat next to the filing cabinet Dinesh D'Souza found marked "CRIMES" in the DNC basement.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
love how some people saw the light that Hillary was a lovely disliked centrist candidate and enough people stuck their heads in the sand and had their minds completely blown when she lost, then after 4 years of being repeatedly told "your candidate lost because she sucked and too many people didn't want to vote for her so don't run a loving loser next time" enough voters did the exact same loving thing and appear to be choosing an even more dislikeable centrist loser with an even more demented brain

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
breitbart was calling mike motherfucking bloomberg a communist, Bernie claiming to be moderate wouldn’t mean poo poo and there’s no reason for him to try imo

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the super tuesday problem, and our problem generally as leftists, is not a moderate vs. leftist ideology problem. if people voted based on declared policy preferences we'd have won years ago. left policy positions are hugely popular.

the problem is that this is not an issue-focused race. read those stories from FOs. people prefer bernie, but vote biden, because the only thing that matters to the democratic primary electorate is getting rid of trump. and the media has very successfully convinced a lot of people that bernie can't win.

i have knocked probably 300+ doors this cycle. when i ask people what their most important issue is, it's overwhelmingly "beating trump." that is what people want, that is what is driving them to the polls and spiking turnout. they want trump out. everything else is secondary. biden, simply by being the "beating trump" candidate, is winning those people. in order to win, therefore, we need to show that biden can't beat trump, and that means going negative.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Streak posted:

love how some people saw the light that Hillary was a lovely disliked centrist candidate and enough people stuck their heads in the sand and had their minds completely blown when she lost, then after 4 years of being repeatedly told "your candidate lost because she sucked and too many people didn't want to vote for her so don't run a loving loser next time" enough voters did the exact same loving thing and appear to be choosing an even more dislikeable centrist loser with an even more demented brain

There is always the sense that she lost because of "Russia," "Comey," "Emails" which is true that they definitely contributed but are a mere speck compared to the glaring issues she had otherwise.

She was a bad candidate with bad policies, one of each of those is enough to lose or win depending on other factors, but both is mind blowing for the establishment to rally round.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

OxySnake posted:

There is always the sense that she lost because of "Russia," "Comey," "Emails" which is true that they definitely contributed but are a mere speck compared to the glaring issues she had otherwise.

She was a bad candidate with bad policies, one of each of those is enough to lose or win depending on other factors, but both is mind blowing for the establishment to rally round.

almost seems like the establishment doesnt really mind losing to Trump as long as Bernie doesn't win or something

democracy in action. you love to see it!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Gunshow Poophole posted:

secret balloting is sacrosanct to a valid election and welp caucuses are not that so no, absolutely not

Is it though? Recorded votes are not at all uncommon in many contexts. An open vote process like a caucus or floor vote presents opportunities for consensus-building and a built-in transparency in exchange for its obvious deficiencies like possibility for intimidation and difficulty of access.

I understand your point, but I don't think secret ballot is quite as sacrosanct as you say.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the super tuesday problem, and our problem generally as leftists, is not a moderate vs. leftist ideology problem. if people voted based on declared policy preferences we'd have won years ago. left policy positions are hugely popular.

the problem is that this is not an issue-focused race. read those stories from FOs. people prefer bernie, but vote biden, because the only thing that matters to the democratic primary electorate is getting rid of trump. and the media has very successfully convinced a lot of people that bernie can't win.

i have knocked probably 300+ doors this cycle. when i ask people what their most important issue is, it's overwhelmingly "beating trump." that is what people want, that is what is driving them to the polls and spiking turnout. they want trump out. everything else is secondary. biden, simply by being the "beating trump" candidate, is winning those people. in order to win, therefore, we need to show that biden can't beat trump, and that means going negative.

this is the correct assessment imo. this is an electability campaign and not an issues campaign. Bernie is already agreed to be the best issues candidate by the electorate. he needs to crush Biden’s invincibility aura

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

this is the correct assessment imo. this is an electability campaign and not an issues campaign. Bernie is already agreed to be the best issues candidate by the electorate. he needs to crush Biden’s invincibility aura

This is why the Obama ad is cool and good.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

loquacius posted:

I too love not realizing that I'm the common factor in all my lovely relationships

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

OxySnake posted:

It absolutely blows my mind that people wanted Buttigieg because he was the "outside the establishment candidate."

Motherfucker was like he was grown in a vat next to the filing cabinet Dinesh D'Souza found marked "CRIMES" in the DNC basement.

this is always going to happen, people like to choose a candidate that they feel good about and then find a way to rationalize all of their positions that dont fit their personal ideology.

buttegeig also fits with why people backed kerry when he was obviously a wet napkin of a candidate. they thought his military background would give them a bunch of bush voters since he was a draft dodger, but that was never going to happen because the right puts party over identity. dems are obsessed with candidates that they think some imaginary right wing voter will like, they give up on everything chasing that year after year.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Streak posted:

yeah it owns

cant wait for biden to wander off stage during the middle of a debate and the dems will spend the next week explaining it was intentional and nothing is wrong.

Serf
May 5, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

if "we have to get rid of trump" is allowed to dominate our political imagination, what are we going to do in 2024 when trump 2.0 is running

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Serf posted:

if "we have to get rid of trump" is allowed to dominate our political imagination, what are we going to do in 2024 when trump 2.0 is running

Probably lose

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I am going to erect 1,000,000 new voters from clay, bring them to animation with the Word of Life, then have them all vote for Bernie

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

weird how the joe rogan endorsement got so much more ink than this, wonder why????

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1235231527191093250

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Serf posted:

lose

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the cycle of life and death has been perturbed. the order of nature must be restored. this is why I am a Necromancer 4 Bernie.