Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I do not understand.

They mentioned MP Laura Trott. And not MP Dawn Butler. That's all I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was about boris being very racist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anyway cool and good this idea is still around

https://twitter.com/alistairkgrant/status/1235527131611795458?s=20
https://twitter.com/alistairkgrant/status/1235532975145705478?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol I looked up Laura trott and she is exactly the worst sort of politician/person

oxford->finance->conservative councillor->Cameron spad->PR firm->MP

fortunately she's in a safe seat so we're stuck with her forever

if you're wondering how someone gets an MBE by 34, Cameron gave it to her for "political and public service"

our country is so so poo poo and I hate everything about it

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

forkboy84 posted:

They mentioned MP Laura Trott. And not MP Dawn Butler. That's all I can think of.

I think it's trott glaring at a smiling butler

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

peanut- posted:

Research = equity research, the guys who write reports on whether you should buy, hold or sell shares in companies.

So nothing of value was lost.

HSBC has a big property research arm too for like, commercial and warehouse space etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

our country is so so poo poo and I hate everything about it

if only an asteroid could hit it so it didn't damage everything outside the country

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

XMNN posted:

I think it's trott glaring at a smiling butler

The clip it comes from is peak white conservative losing her poo poo at her policies being called racist, Ferrari arguing that calling Muslim women letterboxes is 'unfortunate' but definitely not racist, and Butler having to be absolutely calm so she isn't written off Another Angry Black Woman.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they got melanie phillips on to really add to that crowd

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I love this type of policy. policies that everyone knows are stupid as poo poo but they don't want to back down and admit it. I hope they do try to make a tunnel through the rough seas full of unexploded ordinance. to allow a journey nobody wants to make that takes longer and is less convenient than taking the ferry or a flight.

Guavanaut posted:

I can definitely remember that HSBC tried doing their own notes years ago, including a £100 note, or announced that they might.

I'm not sure if this was UK wide or it was just in NI where there's no such thing as legal tender and random banks appear to issue whatever they please, but I can't find anything more about it.

it's just scotland and NI that allow different banks to make their own notes. the english and welsh just have bank of england ones with the queen on them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I definitely remember HSBC announcing that they were planning to introduce notes, but I can't remember where I saw it.

I know they already do the banknotes for HK so it wouldn't be beyond reason for them to try, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to in England & Wales. Then again who knows our currency laws are a mess and technically anyone can print anything they like and as long as someone will take it it's currency (but not legal tender, which only exists in E&W).

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Why have the queen on your notes when you can have a space shuttle instead :cool:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hmm

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1235236859237801990?s=20

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

EDIT: Never mind, was about the politics live tweet but I hadn't notice how stale my page was

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sinky posted:

Why have the queen on your notes when you can have a space shuttle instead :cool:

Remember when the 'ra took them all and they had to do new ones.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Guavanaut posted:

the 'ra have space shuttles?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ted Kennedy sold them one on the cheap.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

It was >= £10 notes they replaced that time.

Didn't know this happened :lol:

quote:

In February 2005, £50,000 of unused Northern Bank notes were found in five packages in the toilets of the PSNI's recreational club in Belfast. Police said the planting of the money in Newforge Lane was potentially "an elaborate prank aimed at directing attention away from the events elsewhere".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What pranks am I allowed to do that'll let me steal 50 grand?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

What pranks am I allowed to do that'll let me steal 50 grand?

Become an elected mp

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1235548323718676481

The Graun choosing to use a picture of HSBC with a Flybe plane in the foreground is pretty good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I hope they do try to make a tunnel through the rough seas full of unexploded ordinance.

I'm not sure you know how tunnels work.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Yes let's ask AOC about politicians being threatened by open primaries :ironicat:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Graun choosing to use a picture of HSBC with a Flybe plane in the foreground is pretty good.

Headline should be: "Flybe crashes as canary wharf evacuated"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

interesting read about how Boris' move with the treasury to consolidate power is good for future labour governments

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/boris-johnson-has-weakened-treasury-progressives-should-be-grateful/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is that the normal approach to london city or is it deliberately photoshopped to make it look like the plane is about to 911 the banking towers?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I hope everyone's :f5:ing the governments virus page for their 2pm update https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51749792

Toryspeak: "The BBC needs to be closer to, and understand the perspectives of, the whole of the United Kingdom and avoid providing a narrow urban outlook."

Realspeak: "The BBC should better reflect the views and tastes of rich white people from the Home Counties."

Also Christ, the guy is 11 years younger than me and looks like he's getting ready to enjoy his retirement at the golf club. Are these people born old?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hope everyone's :f5:ing the governments virus page for their 2pm update https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

Didn't they say they're moving to once per week updates?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

I can definitely remember that HSBC tried doing their own notes years ago, including a £100 note, or announced that they might.

I'm not sure if this was UK wide or it was just in NI where there's no such thing as legal tender and random banks appear to issue whatever they please, but I can't find anything more about it.

HSBC print their own Hong Kong dollar notes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Payndz posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51749792

Toryspeak: "The BBC needs to be closer to, and understand the perspectives of, the whole of the United Kingdom and avoid providing a narrow urban outlook."

Realspeak: "The BBC should better reflect the views and tastes of rich white people from the Home Counties."

Also Christ, the guy is 11 years younger than me and looks like he's getting ready to enjoy his retirement at the golf club. Are these people born old?

being right wing means you're full of hate and loathing which ages you for sure. truest thing roald dahl ever wrote

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weird combination of obvious lies. Is this specifically targeting dejected lib dems?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

sinky posted:

Fire the queen into space, it's the only answer

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

being right wing means you're full of hate and loathing which ages you for sure. truest thing roald dahl ever wrote

By comparison look at how young Seamus Milne and Marianne Williamson look thanks to Stalinism and good vibes

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Compromise: build a brunnel

I'm pretty sure the government is just racking up future episodes of "well, there's your problem" at this point

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

who wants a coronavirus infection?

https://twitter.com/WhySharksMatter/status/1235323054986792963?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

"Deadly new coronavirus" is one of the many many things that you can sing to the TMNT tune

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

Is that the normal approach to london city or is it deliberately photoshopped to make it look like the plane is about to 911 the banking towers?

No that plane’s taking off
Barclays in front of HSBC in front of One Canada Sq is east to west heading away from the airport.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Sounds like an umbrella payroll company. My understanding is that they 'employ' contractors and do PAYE for them, so contractors don't have to worry about self assessment etc. They then supply their staff to the companies/agencies who use them.

I think what's happening though is companies insist that any contractors sign up for their umbrella company of choice so that they only ever have to pay them, rather than the individual contractors. Normally, from what I've seen, the umbrella companies in this sort of case would make their money from the other companies. Sounds like they're making an extra bit of money from you though and it doesn't seem right because they're your employers. Is it a deduction on your payslip? Are you being invoiced for this 'processing fee'?

Sounds like you have the make up right. The deduction is on my payslip as "Company Overhead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

Compromise: build a brunnel
Named after the famous bridge and tunnel guy.

Wait, was that why he was called that? :aaa: