Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
"SS will collapse before you can use it" is right-wing propaganda to undermine support for Social Security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Then they’re betting wrongly. That doesn’t make me likely to vote for getting rid of it - that makes me likely to vote for improving it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Academician Nomad posted:

"SS will collapse before you can use it" is right-wing propaganda to undermine support for Social Security.

Definitely has the exact opposite effect for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
can you imagine if mother fuckers were able to invest their social security in the market like has been proposed a trillion times

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
The idea is if enough people yell about SS collapsing then they can play the "adult in the room" card and try to cut benefits instead of raise taxes on the wealthy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

can you imagine if mother fuckers were able to invest their social security in the market like has been proposed a trillion times

Someone did the math and the US government would own basically all public companies by now.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

KillHour posted:

Someone did the math and the US government would own basically all public companies by now.

:ussr:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

KillHour posted:

:goodshit:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What an intriguing timeline that would be.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Or just uncap income the ss tax so it applies to all income but keep benefits capped.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

So I have a traditional 401k (taxed on distribution) and also Roth IRA (not taxed on distribution).

If I'm holding long term, would it be tax advantageous to have my riskier/higher return/equity assets in the Roth accounts, and my lower return/bonds in the Trad401k?

Or does it not make a difference compared to a having similar portfolio balance in both? It seems like it would be better to split.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Or just uncap income the ss tax so it applies to all income but equalize benefits.

Also Pollyanna the whole owning a house thing can be seen as a hedge against rising rents in retirement. As long as you stay put and on top of maintenance.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

esquilax posted:

If I'm holding long term, would it be tax advantageous to have my riskier/higher return/equity assets in the Roth accounts, and my lower return/bonds in the Trad401k?
Correct

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

esquilax posted:

So I have a traditional 401k (taxed on distribution) and also Roth IRA (not taxed on distribution).

Or does it not make a difference compared to a having similar portfolio balance in both? It seems like it would be better to split.

Probably!

All else being equal, yes. But with 401ks not all else is equal.

This may be impacted by the quality of options you have in the trad 401k. For example, my trad 403b's bond options have a MUCH higher expense ratio than the total stock market index fund that's on offer there. Since avoiding expenses is one of the few ways to guarantee an improvement in returns, I'm choosing to forgo the bonds in the trad 403b, and lean into the low expense ratio index fund.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

totalnewbie posted:

Or just uncap income the ss tax so it applies to all income but keep benefits capped.

And tax the people more than likely don't need to depend on SS income for their retirement? That's crazy talk

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Social security deposits are used to buy US government bonds. If someone tried to totally end the program, that would remove the world's largest and most important purchaser of US government debt, in an era in which we are borrowing more than ever before. The consequent drop in demand and therefore rise in interest rates necessary to attract buyers would probably push the government into insolvency instantly. It just can't be done, basically.

Any fuckery with SS will therefore be gradual/incremental. And given that the elderly remain the segment that turns out to vote the most, I don't think it's really ever going to happen. The boomers might try to "fix" SS by lowering payouts only for the following generation, but by the time that following generation is retiring (and the boomers are dying off and have lost their voting power), they'll be in a position to restore those payouts.

There is no issue with more solid bipartisan support than support for the entitlement programs that benefit the old, no matter what generation of old people you look at. The most likely fixes that would actually stick around are increased taxes on the young.

e. here's a decent rundown:
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018/07/03/heres-why-our-national-debt-isnt-a-concern-for-soc.aspx

Although this writer doesn't point out that just cashing in its bonds to pay out its obligations as we approach insolvency means reducing the government's ability to sell debt. So the two factors are intrinsically linked, and eventually cannot be ignored. Congress may continue to "kick the can down the street" by making stopgap decisions, but one thing it really can't do without plunging the US government into an insolvency crisis, is just let SS wind down its holdings to pay out obligations for another 20 years. Not "can't" as in shouldn't, but literally can not do that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 4, 2020

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Social security deposits are used to buy US government bonds. If someone tried to totally end the program, that would remove the world's largest and most important purchaser of US government debt, in an era in which we are borrowing more than ever before. The consequent drop in demand and therefore rise in interest rates necessary to attract buyers would probably push the government into insolvency instantly. It just can't be done, basically.

Any fuckery with SS will therefore be gradual/incremental. And given that the elderly remain the segment that turns out to vote the most, I don't think it's really ever going to happen. The boomers might try to "fix" SS by lowering payouts only for the following generation, but by the time that following generation is retiring (and the boomers are dying off and have lost their voting power), they'll be in a position to restore those payouts.

There is no issue with more solid bipartisan support than support for the entitlement programs that benefit the old, no matter what generation of old people you look at. The most likely fixes that would actually stick around are increased taxes on the young.
But what if I want something to be mad about???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

I mean, the system's growing problems are absolutely due to the inaction of congress and by extension the Republicans who hate the entitlement programs (despite their base actually loving loving them when asked about in specific terms like 'do you like social security' and 'do you like medicare') and the Democrats who hate cutting benefits (despite the fact that the elderly who receive those benefits are the one demographic bloc remaining that consistently votes republican no matter how much they depend on Democratic-supported Republican-opposed programs and services).

So that's a thing to be really mad about.

But I say if you're doing retirement planning, you should assume social security will pay out to you, and hedge against the likelihood that it will pay out less, or start retirement at a later age, by discounting your calculated payout by some comfortable percentage. Say, 25% less or so, which would be a sufficient cut to keep SS solvent permanently.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Hoodwinker posted:

How about the fact that the rest of retirement savings system depends on people making individual decisions where the mathematically best outcomes involve doing things that run counter to all human intuition, while leaving individuals at the mercy of financial advisors and snake oil salesmen who have no duty of care to giving good advice?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I always found it weird that my wife doesn't pay into Social Security as a teacher. Just the state pension fund. Then people complain that teacher pensions are too big and they should be taken away, which would essentially leave them with nothing for retirement, because like the first 20 years of teaching you don't make enough money to actually save for retirement with the assumption that are getting this really nice pension when they retire

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Astro7x posted:

I always found it weird that my wife doesn't pay into Social Security as a teacher. Just the state pension fund. Then people complain that teacher pensions are too big and they should be taken away, which would essentially leave them with nothing for retirement, because like the first 20 years of teaching you don't make enough money to actually save for retirement with the assumption that are getting this really nice pension when they retire

Right people don't realize teachers are waiving their Social Security by buying into the pension, which is better than Social but like it's not as nice as people assume. People also never account for all the prep work, correcting, and dealing with parents that teachers do. After having a bunch of teachers in my family I knew drat well I did not want to teach for a living they are all miserable and have almost no free time. Teachers have it rough. I do IT, people think I'm a wizard I've been asked if I've heard the did you go to school at Hogwarts for computers joke, it's bad.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

Right people don't realize teachers are waiving their Social Security by buying into the pension, which is better than Social but like it's not as nice as people assume. People also never account for all the prep work, correcting, and dealing with parents that teachers do. After having a bunch of teachers in my family I knew drat well I did not want to teach for a living they are all miserable and have almost no free time. Teachers have it rough. I do IT, people think I'm a wizard I've been asked if I've heard the did you go to school at Hogwarts for computers joke, it's bad.

I did not realize this, but I also don't complain about teacher pensions and whatever nonsense people believe about teachers that is extremely untrue.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I came back from teaching in Japan and thought, hey, that was alright, maybe I'll consider teaching.

Then I realized that I didn't want to go back to school for a few years, get into (more) debt, and come out to have evenings taken up by grading homework, all so I can make less than half I could as an engineer without jumping through all those hoops.

Maybe I would have been a great teacher, maybe I would have been awful. But we'll never know because I, and a lot of other people, won't even consider it because the incentives are just totally, totally backwards.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 5, 2020

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, a friend of mine is a teacher. In Ohio, you have to get your master's within ten years of getting your teaching license or you forfeit it (or something like that). So she gets her master's, then the recession hits and they have to agree to a pay freeze for years keeping pay low. Then Kasich signs a bill to basically kill public employee collective bargaining (which voters then overturned via referendum later in the year).

Meanwhile my friend is in a bunch of debt from all of her schooling because of the pay freeze on top of teacher pay. On multiple occasions, I'd see on Facebook that she'd comment on a post from the developers of some app. It was basically some kind of program teachers could sign up for to help with their student loans. You basically got on a wait list and thanks to contributions people people/organizations, hopefully at some point you'd get help paying off the mountain of debt that your poo poo salary can't put a dent in.

It sucks that people expect civil servants to be in it solely for helping people, and not expected to get paid appropriately. My wife works at the county Job & Family Services and they get the same poo poo. Pay is nothing to write home about and the "wonderful benefits" civil servants are supposed to have get worse each year.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

33% through the book. From what I’ve learned from reading it, and by using some play money in E*TRADE to test some theories, the conclusion I draw is that there is no such thing as fast money. There is slow money, and then there are dirty lies.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
Are there any experts with US citizen expat/immigrant finance? I'm wondering what I should do with an old 401k that I haven't thought about in 5 years. I didn't know much about finance then, and just used the default fund that has an exp ratio of 0.35% net. It's through Fidelity, and should I roll it over to something like FXAIX, FSLAX etc? It's also a little tricky because I'm not a US resident anymore. I'm contributing to retirement in Sweden, and that's where I have a target retirement fund, index funds and pension. Because I don't live in the US I'm not allowed to have a US brokerage account. I still have my old brokerage account with Schwab, and they said they were going to shut it down, but nothing happened. I've talked to some other Americans here and they said it's a 'don't ask, don't tell' situation. However, if I rollover the 401k to a Fidelity IRA, would this be considered a brokerage account, and therefore be shut down?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

33% through the book. From what I’ve learned from reading it, and by using some play money in E*TRADE to test some theories, the conclusion I draw is that there is no such thing as fast money. There is slow money, and then there are dirty lies.

welcome to the realities of capitalism as a non-millionaire

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Pollyanna posted:

You're getting it!

The financial industry, as it exists for the common person, is an obfuscation device for taking your loving money. Unless you're lucky or have an inside connection, the only way to acquire wealth is to get rich slowly (which, frankly, also takes a lot of luck).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Killing your wealthy parents is fast money.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Boy, I’m feeling a cough coming on. 😷

Not a Children posted:

You're getting it!

The financial industry, as it exists for the common person, is an obfuscation device for taking your loving money. Unless you're lucky or have an inside connection, the only way to acquire wealth is to get rich slowly (which, frankly, also takes a lot of luck).

P much. This is...basically the perception I had at the beginning :shrug: except that to beat inflation I need to invest in some manner regardless.

MockingQuantum posted:

welcome to the realities of capitalism as a non-millionaire

:bgc:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GI_Clutch posted:

It sucks that people expect civil servants to be in it solely for helping people, and not expected to get paid appropriately.

We have this amendment which abolished the "civil slave" class of positions, so "civil servant" is the next closest thing moneyed people have to work with. They're doing what they can.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Holy poo poo, this thread is still alive. Uh...how badly has the stuff I wrote in the OP 12 years ago aged?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"[panic posted:

" post="503034284"]
Holy poo poo, this thread is still alive. Uh...how badly has the stuff I wrote in the OP 12 years ago aged?
Honestly, people still recommend a lot of the reading in it.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

Hoodwinker posted:

Honestly, people still recommend a lot of the reading in it.

Wow. That's honestly pretty cool.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Pollyanna posted:

P much. This is...basically the perception I had at the beginning :shrug: except that to beat inflation I need to invest in some manner regardless.

You know how people say that people who know nothing about the civil war think it was about slavery, people who know a little about the civil war think it was about state's rights, and people who know a lot about the civil war think it was about slavery?

Knowledge of the financial industry works the same way, except slavery is "salespeople stealing your money" and state's rights is "beating the market"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"[panic posted:

" post="503034351"]
I just checked and I have uhhhhh 23 pages of posts in this thread, so good job.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"[panic posted:

" post="503034351"]

Since you're here: maybe we could spend some time ITT doing an edit pass & refresh. I think most of the links and sources are still good, but we could add some more?

For the regulars in the thread: what are some new books/resources/etc folks are using lately?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Flowchart should be in OP

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Big rear end flashing red text that says "DON'T TIME THE MARKET"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

It’s been a super long time since I read it, but have you gotten to the part of how and why stocks are priced? I feel like that’s a big part of feeling comfortable with investing. If you already knew that disregard. It’s just that I talk to a bunch people about what a stock is, at the base level, and maybe two people I know understand it, including all of the boomers I know close to retirement. I’d be scared shitless all the time about my 401k if I didn’t understand.