Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'd be down for one as my appetite for experimenting with some is growing immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Speaking of...do we have a homelab thread? I'm going to try to get a bunch of stuff we've taken out of production at work, and take it home to play with for a short time before I get bored with it and sell it.

Two NetApps, a couple random Dell and IBM rack servers and storage units.
You're in the homelab thread, as far as I'm concerned - not that my opinion matters anymore than anyone elses, of course.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

HalloKitty posted:

All I read is "my time isn't worth much"

I'd rather have several backups than waste time downloading stuff I already downloaded and sorted once

But it wouldn't be much of my time anyway. Downloading/organizing movies and tv shows is automated.

Also, I'd have to download it from Backblaze or Amazon or wherever anyway.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, most homelab stuff ends up here eventually, anyhow. So ask away!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
There is a real possibility I'll be able to dump Comcast and get rid of my data cap this fall.

Fingers crossed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What tool would you all recommend (in Windows 10) to do a health check on hard drives? Making sure there are no bad blocks and all that good stuff?

These are freshly formatted drives that I just got from Shamino's Storage Bonanza, but feel it would be prudent to scan/fix any errors now.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
WD lifeguard - for WD junk
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL
Seagate - seatools will work with anything else:
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Those are the most popular and best i have seen personally.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Moey posted:

There is a real possibility I'll be able to dump Comcast and get rid of my data cap this fall.

Fingers crossed.

I did this and haven’t looked back. My only other alternative in the area gives me 50/50 or 100/100, no dat cap. It was an easy choice.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Axe-man posted:

WD lifeguard - for WD junk
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL
Seagate - seatools will work with anything else:
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Those are the most popular and best i have seen personally.

Thank you!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I did this and haven’t looked back. My only other alternative in the area gives me 50/50 or 100/100, no dat cap. It was an easy choice.
and here I am suffering with 1.8/18 vdsl because I am too stubborn to give comcast any money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DrDork posted:

Or have to locate it anywhere you'll have to listen to it's fans.

https://youtu.be/z-KoR7hOOng

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thermopyle posted:

Downloading/organizing movies and tv shows is automated.

Huh, fair enough

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Yeah, they're not the loudest things in the datacenter, but I still wouldn't want one within 10' of me for any extended period of time. Especially not when you consider that you can affordably get the processing power and storage capacity in a reasonably sized tower at much lower noise. Of course if it's a free server from work, can't beat the price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DrDork posted:

Yeah, they're not the loudest things in the datacenter, but I still wouldn't want one within 10' of me for any extended period of time. Especially not when you consider that you can affordably get the processing power and storage capacity in a reasonably sized tower at much lower noise. Of course if it's a free server from work, can't beat the price.

It was just an example - i agree that if you run rack gear at your house you're nutso

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

HalloKitty posted:

Huh, fair enough

:getin: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

To be fair, flexget can automated downloading of ANY kind of stuff, as long as you can get some sort of data-feed pointing to the links you want the stuff to be downloaded from, be it RSS feeds with torrents for FreeBSD isos or what have you.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
:suicide:

Yes, I shouldn't let the pool get this full, the resilver rate was still terrible at 25% capacity when I tested it transitioning from my 4TB disk based array.

code:
# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
z                40T   35T  5.9T  86% /z
# zpool status
  pool: z
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
	continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scan: resilver in progress since Sun Mar  1 21:51:21 2020
	42.8G scanned out of 47.9T at 62.9M/s, 221h39m to go
	5.22G resilvered, 0.09% done
config:

NAME                                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	z                                        DEGRADED     0     0     0
	  raidz2-0                               DEGRADED     0     0     0
	    replacing-0                          DEGRADED     0     0     0
	      18255741440775816557               UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD80EFAX-68LHPN0_ZZZZZZZZ-part1
	      ata-WDC_WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0_XXXXXXXX  ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
	    ata-WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_XXXXXXXX    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ata-WDC_WD80EFAX-68LHPN0_XXXXXXXX    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ata-WDC_WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0_XXXXXXXX    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ata-WDC_WD80EFAX-68LHPN0_XXXXXXXX    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I think 86% is fine, IIRC there's some "slop" space saved internally by pools to not allow things to grind to a halt so completely anymore when they're close to full.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

df -h reports the wrong values, as all forks of OpenZFS default to using lz4 by default.

Also, I've had pools get to 100% capacity with the kernel telling me "No, seriously, the disks are full, mate" or something to that effect - and when I got rid of the data that wasn't supposed to have written, pool speed shot right back up again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm constantly in a battle to upgrade my pools capacity fast enough, so I often hit 100% capacity on them.

Always goes right back to speedy after clearing space out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Amazon's got some WD and Sandisk stuff on their deal of the day. I don't think this is a referral link but there's a whole page of storage stuff so it seems to have a huge URL:
https://smile.amazon.com/apb/page/r...N2AD7K0BBKWWH7S

The main thing this thread may be interested in:
Shuckable Elements 12TB for $175
https://smile.amazon.com/12TB-Elements-Desktop-Drive-WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN/dp/B07X4V2M3B

There are also a bunch of sizes of regular internal Red and Red Pro drives on sale. More expensive than shucking but worth a look. There's also a couple of their NAS storage devices. I wouldn't buy them but they're on sale.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

FYI you have to click on the item you want via the deal of the day page to get the full sale. Linking directly doesn't get you the full discount.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Newegg is hopping on the sale train with the same drive for the same price with promo code EMCDEDE42
https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-ele...-22234406-S4A1B

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kinda want that 128GB ultra fit for $15 but I would lose it in three minutes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

You're in the homelab thread, as far as I'm concerned - not that my opinion matters anymore than anyone elses, of course.

Yeah, this largely gets used as the homelab thread. I posted mine here.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Deal of the Day: 14TB WD Red for $400. Yowza.

The shuckable 12TB is tempting though. I know the MyStores are white/red drives, but what's the Elements?

Related question: Best PCI USB 3 adapter and USB 3 external enclosure?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The MyBook I got back as a refurb was the EZAZ drive resilvering in. That's a whitelabel red

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Deal of the Day: 14TB WD Red for $400. Yowza.

The shuckable 12TB is tempting though. I know the MyStores are white/red drives, but what's the Elements?

Related question: Best PCI USB 3 adapter and USB 3 external enclosure?

Elements are reported to be the same, Easystore is just a Best Buy exclusive so they don't have to pricematch.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Decided to upgrade my storage setup today, and things went pretty smoothly given that I far from an expert on NAS stuff. I was previously just using a single external drive HD connected to my desktop, which was running a plex server. Today I got a DS 1019+ and stuck in two 12 gb western digital drives. With five bays I figure I can expand as needed. The setup was smooth, given that I didn't have much idea of what I was doing. Most everything was automatic.

The only real hurdle I ran into was that the initial install of plex from the synology package center didn't transcode my x265 videos correctly. Audio and subtites worked, but the video was messed up. I downloaded the newest plex spk and gave it to the package manager for a manual install. After that things played fine.

With hardware encoding checked, transcoding a 1080p seems to take about 40% of the CPU on the NAS. Playback is smooth, but seeking is noticably slower than when the plex server was running on my much more powerful desktop. I am pretty happy overall though. The size of the box is nice and it is surprisingly quiet, even when the drives are in use.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Decided to upgrade my storage setup today, and things went pretty smoothly given that I far from an expert on NAS stuff. I was previously just using a single external drive HD connected to my desktop, which was running a plex server. Today I got a DS 1019+ and stuck in two 12 gb western digital drives. With five bays I figure I can expand as needed. The setup was smooth, given that I didn't have much idea of what I was doing. Most everything was automatic.

The only real hurdle I ran into was that the initial install of plex from the synology package center didn't transcode my x265 videos correctly. Audio and subtites worked, but the video was messed up. I downloaded the newest plex spk and gave it to the package manager for a manual install. After that things played fine.

With hardware encoding checked, transcoding a 1080p seems to take about 40% of the CPU on the NAS. Playback is smooth, but seeking is noticably slower than when the plex server was running on my much more powerful desktop. I am pretty happy overall though. The size of the box is nice and it is surprisingly quiet, even when the drives are in use.

one problem with x265 and subtitles is this:
even if your playback device can direct play x265 content, once you use subtitles it is forced to transcode to x264. if you turn subtitles off on your x265 playback, it will switch back to direct play.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I got myself a 15-disk EMC KTN-STL3 shelf and a SFF-8088 cable, so now I just need a LSI HBA with 8 external ports and 15 disks. :sigh:
I think I'll be best off if I do 3x 5 6TB disks in raidz2?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

derk posted:

one problem with x265 and subtitles is this:
even if your playback device can direct play x265 content, once you use subtitles it is forced to transcode to x264. if you turn subtitles off on your x265 playback, it will switch back to direct play.
Yeah, so far plex's poor subtitle support has been my main complaint about the program. Given that I have a large amount of anime, that does present a problem. I was thinking of trying emby out as an alternative, though I don't know much about it. I see that it also has a roku channel and synology NAS support.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So after upgrading my NAS from my old box to my new R720, my 4TB external USB backup failed. Like right after the final Rsync onto the new Array.

So I've been 3 months or so without redundancy, but finally scratched that itch tonight with a new 8TB USB disk, which matches the array its backing up.

Cmon rsync, do your stuff.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, so far plex's poor subtitle support has been my main complaint about the program. Given that I have a large amount of anime, that does present a problem. I was thinking of trying emby out as an alternative, though I don't know much about it. I see that it also has a roku channel and synology NAS support.
How hard can it be to implement client side subtitle support?

I honestly don't know. I don't program anything more complex than Arduino stuff.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

I honestly don't know. I don't program anything more complex than Arduino stuff.
How old is VLC? Take however many decades that is, and add as many years as it'll take until they fix their lovely implementation.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CopperHound posted:

It can probably be quite a challenge if you want full featured support for all the multitudes of subtitle formats. I vaguely remember seeing a short scene in some anime, where they were showing a book with japanese text. The book was overlayed by english subtitles that were aligned to the book and conformed to it. And since they were soft subs you could turn them off. Example from Aegisub.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

D. Ebdrup posted:

How old is VLC? Take however many decades that is, and add as many years as it'll take until they fix their lovely implementation.

Plex has paid employees, though. Probably just need a critical mass of customer requests.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Emby handles text based srt subtitles well, either embedded or as separate files. Other formats require it to transcode and burn in the subtitles.
This typically (and very broadly speaking) means it handles anime fine but will often transcodes bluray rips if you enable subtitles. It also supports a small handful of subtitle sites that it can search and grab external srt subs from.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

I think it was initially released in 2000? I remember first downloading it in spring 2001 back when the orange cone icon still meant "under construction"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And remember computers only recently started being able to display things is multiple languages without overloading the same bits in the character byte reliably. Aka when we all switched over to UTF-8/UTF-16.

Now on client side for desktop computers it's "easy", but "most" of what people want is embedded clients - their TV's and phones and whatever. From there the matrix of processing power to supported features in hardware to how much they even like supporting plex. Only in the past few years has Plex started shipping on TVs out of the box. They might not give them access to the features that other apps have, such as text overlay (closed captioning), it might not support multiple languages (is it _only_ latin-1 if you have it set to "English" in the TV's menus?) If no compositing is offered the plex client could just be sunk.

That is all pure text format subtitles. Blu-Ray's use "PGS" often, which are actual pictures of the subtitles which are composed onto the rendered video in real time. (Think a png file with an alpha channel which let's the video play "behind" it.)