Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I own it! Also man. It's crazy to me that such a giant game is so cheap. That thing shoulda been 60$, not 20$
The two sequels on steam are also half off, or a bit more than that if you buy all three at once!

Also I DID buy it when it was $60, on the PS4 and don't feel like I made a bad choice at all :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

haldolium posted:

Black Mesa comes out today as final version with Xen.

Having played a couple of the beta versions of the end product in the last month or so, I have to say:

Black Mesa is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD.

As a huge HL1 fan, it was worth the long wait for this. It’s really a fantastic product and everyone should take a look.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did they remove the two hour crate escalator section at the end?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Actually they replaced it with a four hour crate seesaw section.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Fallom posted:

Did they remove the two hour crate escalator section at the end?

Not sure which crate escalator part you are referring to but the entire thing has been streamlined. And then some new stuff added. A lot of Xen is literally brand new with visual callbacks to parts of the old game. The Gonarch fight/chase is a much bigger thing now and more of a spectacle.

Orv posted:

Actually they replaced it with a four hour crate seesaw section.

Hey, Seesaws are the cutting edge of gameplay*

*circa 2003

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AirRaid posted:

Having played a couple of the beta versions of the end product in the last month or so, I have to say:

As a huge HL1 fan, it was worth the long wait for this. It’s really a fantastic product and everyone should take a look.

Yeah I have not been following this at all and wow, what an upgrade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAIJich73NY

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Not sure which crate escalator part you are referring to but the entire thing has been streamlined. And then some new stuff added. A lot of Xen is literally brand new with visual callbacks to parts of the old game. The Gonarch fight/chase is a much bigger thing now and more of a spectacle.

Hey, Seesaws are the cutting edge of gameplay*

*circa 2003

the version of black Mesa Xen I played through had a massively boring and lengthy crate escalator sequence after all the pretty outdoors stuff

I thought the whole thing should’ve been removed before the full release

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Fallom posted:

the version of black Mesa Xen I played through had a massively boring and lengthy crate escalator sequence after all the pretty outdoors stuff

I thought the whole thing should’ve been removed before the full release

Oh you mean the whole factory section with the conveyor belts? I dunno if that fits the description of “crate escalator”, and I enjoyed that section too, tho the early version had one part where you were getting quite heavily sniped by the flying Controllers and was quite challenging. Not sure if the final version has changed that but I can’t imagine the entire segment being removed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Oh you mean the whole factory section with the conveyor belts? I dunno if that fits the description of “crate escalator”, and I enjoyed that section too, tho the early version had one part where you were getting quite heavily sniped by the flying Controllers and was quite challenging. Not sure if the final version has changed that but I can’t imagine the entire segment being removed.

Well it’s got crates and you escalate with them. It struck me as something they must have designed much earlier in the process and never gone back over it like they did with the earlier parts of Xen. It’s a real sharp change in quality and ends up being some weird alien version of On a Rail.

But overall I really liked Black Mesa so I still recommend it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

That part is very clearly based on part of Interloper in the original game. The Black Mesa version is still miles better than the original, but the whole concept doesn’t lend to the absolute best gameplay, granted. I really enjoyed that they broke up the conveyor belt stuff with the little side puzzles and mini boss rooms to open up doors etc to progress.

Those also teach you an important mechanic for later boss fights.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AirRaid posted:

That part is very clearly based on part of Interloper in the original game. The Black Mesa version is still miles better than the original, but the whole concept doesn’t lend to the absolute best gameplay, granted. I really enjoyed that they broke up the conveyor belt stuff with the little side puzzles and mini boss rooms to open up doors etc to progress.

Those also teach you an important mechanic for later boss fights.

I enjoyed all of Black Mesa but I’m also one of those people who enjoys all of Half Life 2. Even that part you hate.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kibayasu posted:

I enjoyed all of Black Mesa but I’m also one of those people who enjoys all of Half Life 2. Even that part you hate.

How can you possibly enjoy storming Nova Prospekt with an army of ant-lions.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

My 300+ hour ARK experience is playing on a private PvE with about 3 other people, and we had a blast. Not sure I'd be as into it as a solo experience.

Most of the fun was doing goofy poo poo like building floating fortresses on the raft, and circumnavigating the map, going on "whaling" expeditions.

Or using pteranodons and wingsuits to glide from the peak of the volcano to anywhere on the map.

Or building a giant ramp covered in tame dodos to collect their poop for fertilizer as it rolled to the bottom.

Or getting assault rifles and RPGs, and staging a commando-style ambush to gun down a high level alpha T-Rex.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I actually didn’t dislike any specific part of HL2, it was more several high level design decisions I was disappointed with. It’s not a bad game, but I felt it wasn’t the best sequel to Half-life we could have gotten.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Mutazione, Anodyne 2 and A Short Hike are all free on EGS next week, which is pretty amazing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Foehammer posted:

My 300+ hour ARK experience is playing on a private PvE with about 3 other people, and we had a blast. Not sure I'd be as into it as a solo experience.

Most of the fun was doing goofy poo poo like building floating fortresses on the raft, and circumnavigating the map, going on "whaling" expeditions.

Or using pteranodons and wingsuits to glide from the peak of the volcano to anywhere on the map.

Or building a giant ramp covered in tame dodos to collect their poop for fertilizer as it rolled to the bottom.

Or getting assault rifles and RPGs, and staging a commando-style ambush to gun down a high level alpha T-Rex.

see that's the kind of thing that makes me want to pick it up - maybe I can convince a BFF to play it with me and do some silly things. Hmmmmm.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

The Longing is out now.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/893850/THE_LONGING/

quote:

Play as a lonely Shade, the last servant of a king who once ruled an underground kingdom.
The king's powers have faded and he falls asleep for 400 days to regain his might.
It is your duty to stay in the earthen palace until he awakens.

As soon as you start, the game inevitably counts down the 400 days - even when you stop playing and exit the game.
It is now up to you to decide what to do with your solitary existence beneath the soil. Don't stress yourself, you have plenty of time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

*changes time and date in Windows*

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
looking forward to this, which drops tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiyIKagm6dI

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I haven't played the Stanley Parable in longer.

quote:

Read tons of classic literature from Nietzsche to Moby Dick right in the game - or at least have the shade read them. After all, time goes by faster if you learn to keep your mind occupied.

It's already got 0,5-hour-playtime positive reviews.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

AirRaid posted:

Even their first release of it without Xen was amazing. Really looking forward to playing through again with Xen attached. I only really disliked the beginning of Interloper back then because entering that area with low HP was a nightmare. Eventually I played so often through the game that the bad memory faded though.

From design over sound to enhancing the original the BM team did an astonishing job.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I remember when they were being ragged on for taking so long to do the remake. I was following their progress in the very beginning and lost interest around year 6 I think. It's been a long road but I'm glad they finally have it completed.

It really is nice seeing the comparison, especially the sections that looked impractical or far fetched to be part of the facility in the original, so they added little details to make it work.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I honestly find it a little odd that Black Mesa even exists. Does Valve just not care that people make things with their properties? Or did they make a deal with the devs? If they did, what about Hunt Down the Freeman? Why is that allowed to exist and be sold for money on Steam?

Edit: The guy who made Hunt Down the Freeman now has a job at Activision Blizzard :shepface:

https://twitter.com/BerkanDYRN

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 5, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah iirc the black mesa team struck a deal with valve to sell it. Previously it was available on steam as just a free download. I can only imagine that after valve saw the professional quality of black mesa that they just assumed hunt down the freeman was up to par?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: The guy who made Hunt Down the Freeman now has a job at Activision Blizzard :shepface:

I find that hard to believe. It's too perfect.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As what, a janitor?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

It's real: https://www.linkedin.com/in/berkandenizyaran/

Mordja posted:

As what, a janitor?

Production Coordinator on Call of Duty Mobile, lol

That makes me feel less bad, that type of position is basically a very, very junior level Project Manager position. He's not a game dev at all, he's kinda one step above an Admin Assistant.

My guess is he got the job because he's Turkish and knows the language, so he's like a QA liason for the Turkish language version of the game.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 5, 2020

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Antigravitas posted:

A lot of fan artists and modders also joined Team Sonic and their officially comic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think I missed the earlier critical mass in the thread for Void Destroyer 2. But as an angle I don't think was stressed, it is the best Mount and Blade like game I've played. The individual progression treadmill, economy, and combat are all OK but come together as something really special and great.

It has more than a few frustrations that crop up by the mid game holdings expansion phase, but also like Mount and Blade that's a couple dozen hours in and if you bounce off you've already played a decent game up to that point. I'm hoping those edges get rounded off with some of the 4X development the dev has said he's applying to this game paralell to his next.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh man, seems like the ARK devs poo poo the bed once again with the new, and incredibly expensive, expansion according to RPS. I wouldn't have looked if there hadn't been ARK chat in here, so I though I'd share it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I've actually been looking forward to this one, I love dumb games where you kind of do nothing.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
You guys are posting like the bar for entry is high at Blizzard/Activision.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, if all my chatter about Dynasty Warriors earlier interested you, they're all on sale on steam! Everyone should pick up 7 and/or 8 and enjoy them!

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's a good coop building things game? My husband and I are really enjoying Subnautica and would like something in that vein. We've already played Mindustry and Factorio, is there anything else out there?

Edit: Also played Terraria.

Zaphiel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 5, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If you're down with using the epic game store I hear Satisfactory is cool. Also, have you heard of a little game called Terraria?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, if all my chatter about Dynasty Warriors earlier interested you, they're all on sale on steam! Everyone should pick up 7 and/or 8 and enjoy them!

Also, the sequel to the best musou game (One Piece Pirate Warriors 3) is finally coming out later this month!

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Givin posted:

You guys are posting like the bar for entry is high at Blizzard/Activision.

It used to be (Blizzard, anyway). Their games used to be the gold standard for online multiplayer. I'm kind of sad that we're never getting another (good) installment of Starcraft or Warcraft.

With how they're running now though, I'm more surprised that they're still hiring new people at all than about any specific person they hired.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I got Savage Vessels last night and it's really neat - asteroidsing your way around an bunch of rocks and angry robots. It has great physicality, everything clunks and whirs and ptoonks.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I think this thread sold me on Black Mesa. Are they close to the official 1.0 now that Xen is in?

-
Monster Hunter World. What a game. I think I'll squeeze around 10 more hours out of its post-game hijinks before finally uninstalling. The crossover questslines were pretty neat. I'm feeling too burned out to commit to the expansion though. Maybe I'll give it a year or two before coming back for more hunting.

I do want to see the next monster siege with the Safijiiva or uh... however you spell it.

-
I highly recommend A Short Hike. It's a nice little game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

I think this thread sold me on Black Mesa. Are they close to the official 1.0 now that Xen is in?

1.0 is supposed to drop today - no idea when, though.