Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

Even during the 90's glasses and brunette was still coded as unattractive. Remember She's All That? You know that movie where they make Rachel Lee Cook attractive by removing her glasses?

No, but "hair up / hair down" was a thing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

The WB/CW network used to be a goldmine for that in the 90s and 00s because whatever clothing sponsors they had would put the most ridiculous poo poo on the actors. Buffy/Charmed was the pinnacle.

Where you been old man? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK-8TCDrbV8

Are the kids still saying, "Thanks, I hate it?"

TraderStav posted:

Nothing will ever beat the 90s chicks with black 1" wide chokers. That's peak for me.

Same. I like a woman who protects herself from vampires but still looks like one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trabant posted:

No, but "hair up / hair down" was a thing, right?
Nerdy librarian takes off glasses and undies hair revealing curvaceous beauty is like a trope isn't it?

Also:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

Even during the 90's glasses and brunette was still coded as unattractive. Remember She's All That? You know that movie where they make Rachel Lee Cook attractive by removing her glasses?

I did like when they made jokes about it, but you still see it sometimes. I can only assume that's being written by Boomers who haven't updated since 1992.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mind the walrus posted:

The WB/CW network used to be a goldmine for that in the 90s and 00s because whatever clothing sponsors they had would put the most ridiculous poo poo on the actors. Buffy/Charmed was the pinnacle.

I still laugh when I watch old Buffy episodes and see Willow and Tara in their Ren Faire-chic outfits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrBouvenstein posted:

I still laugh when I watch old Buffy episodes and see Willow and Tara in their Ren Faire-chic outfits.

Was that a visual shorthand for "lesbian" at the time?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That was the Lilith faire period when nu age was kind of gay.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OutOfPrint posted:

Are the kids still saying, "Thanks, I hate it?"
35 Million views. Someone likes it.

I actually don't hate it. It's corporate pop-punk man, we've had two decades to make peace with what its deal is

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

mind the walrus posted:

35 Million views. Someone likes it.

I actually don't hate it. It's corporate pop-punk man, we've had two decades to make peace with what its deal is

It’s not a terrible song, and I enjoy listening to it while I work out. MGK has a couple decent songs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

That was the Lilith faire period when nu age was kind of gay.

Oh yea. I totally forgot about Lilith Faire, which was shorthand for hippy dippy girls with hairy legs that totally didn't want to have sex with you.

God drat i'm glad culture hates women slightly less than it did then.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea. I totally forgot about Lilith Faire, which was shorthand for hippy dippy girls with hairy legs that totally didn't want to have sex with you.

Not sure if that’s the case but maybe slightly better at buttoning it up now?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Women are whining about it louder so we have to be louder with our lip service nowadays.

Kidding. It’s still pretty terrible, clearly. But at least there’s more of a dialogue out there now? Eh, who am I kidding.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do we have to do to swing a revival in t-shirts being worn over long-sleeves?

I'm pretty sure the main characater of Megatokyo (a comic perpetually stuck in 1999 through 2003) was wearing this look like, last week in-comic time (400 years ago real time).

(Also, was it just me, or was one of the shirts always like, brown?)

Neito has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Mar 4, 2020

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

twistedmentat posted:

Massive music festivals were a 90's thing, huh?

Warped, Coachella, HORDE, G3, etc.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

PhotoKirk posted:

I get the point you're trying to make, however, all those festivals in the 90's traveled from city to city and now you pretty much have to travel to them and their one location.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhotoKirk posted:

Eh. Boston Calling still happens, and I think Warped came through recently, unless my perception of time is off again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Women are whining about it louder so we have to be louder with our lip service nowadays.

Kidding. It’s still pretty terrible, clearly. But at least there’s more of a dialogue out there now? Eh, who am I kidding.

Women are way more comfortable at calling guys out on their poo poo, and don't get as much of a pushback as they once did. It's still pretty terrible.

Ferrule posted:

I get the point you're trying to make, however, all those festivals in the 90's traveled from city to city and now you pretty much have to travel to them and their one location.

Yea, that's the 90s thing, the touring festival. Then there was Woodstock 2. That wasn't the disaster one was it? Like it was just kind of lame and then the third one is where Limp Bizkit shitted up the place.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woodstock 94 was good.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Women are way more comfortable at calling guys out on their poo poo, and don't get as much of a pushback as they once did. It's still pretty terrible.

Yea, that's the 90s thing, the touring festival. Then there was Woodstock 2. That wasn't the disaster one was it? Like it was just kind of lame and then the third one is where Limp Bizkit shitted up the place.

Lol Limp Bizkit wasn't the one who ruined Woodstock '99, it was ruined by the suits before it even started

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

twistedmentat posted:

Touring festival is a better term. Thank you.

Woodstock 99 was the MTV corporate nightmare one. Fires, expensive food, etc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

They were having Woodstock anniversary concerts pretty much every ~5 years since the original Woodstock. They were pretty unexciting, and much smaller and less eventful than the original one.

Woodstock'94 (25th anniversary), was a big event and went very well, so much so that they decided to emulate it again in '99. Woodstock '99 was the one that pretty much killed it forever.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010
The Ringer did a bunch of articles looking at Woodstock 99. Pretty good series: Break Stuff

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Agreed. My wife finally started just a few years ago to buy into the whole women-need-to-band-together-and-not-tear-each-other-down thing, but I think her reluctance to do so in the past has to do with what an awful female role model her mother was. But now she’s fully in Fury Road mode so unironically yay

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

It was also fear about empowered women who had too much sex and had opinions.

Like god, they're not ashamed of it! The horror.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
What if Daria but she uh heheh uhhhh huhheheh did it. Eheheheh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

What if Daria but she uh heheh uhhhh huhheheh did it. Eheheheh.

I mean didn't she at some point? With that douche rich kid? Its been a while since I seen any Daria and I mostly remember the first season.

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Agreed. My wife finally started just a few years ago to buy into the whole women-need-to-band-together-and-not-tear-each-other-down thing, but I think her reluctance to do so in the past has to do with what an awful female role model her mother was. But now she’s fully in Fury Road mode so unironically yay

Basically every woman I know my age and younger do not give any fucks when some guy shits on them. The teenage girls that work at my store backtalk old guys who call them sweetheart and honey in that creepy old guy way. The store manager told the men in no uncertain terms that this is not okay.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

I mean didn't she at some point? With that douche rich kid? Its been a while since I seen any Daria and I mostly remember the first season.
The showrunners decided that DariaxTrent was a no go and instead she fell for Tom, Jane's College(?) Aged boyfriend because he was chill like Trent but Smart like Daria and pretty like Quinn.

That was a terrible season full of the kind of Drama that I watched Daria to get away from.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly I thought it handled the drama well because it helps round Daria and Jane out as characters. No one else was done well, but I mean it was still better than your average dreck.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard the DVDs were basically unwatchable because of all the licensed music they had to replace. :smith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Randaconda posted:

I heard the DVDs were basically unwatchable because of all the licensed music they had to replace. :smith:
Pretty much. I was watching it with a friend on Prime a few years back and all I could think of was "this should be a Garbage song" "This is clearly Gettin' Jiggy with It" etc.

Why there aren't HD rips with the music added in yet, I don't know.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
There are.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Im too young to have seen Daria as it was airing but I got the DVD set when I was the right age to appreciate the show and maybe it's bc I don't know what I'm missing but I thought it was perfectly watchable

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/evboogie/status/1235194943137812482?s=21

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fuckin' owned

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Still owns. ROMS are available with updated rosters.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bloopsy posted:

ROMS are available with updated rosters.

:aaaaa:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Bloopsy posted:

Still owns. ROMS are available with updated rosters.

Same with Tecmo Bowl, btw.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Im too young to have seen Daria as it was airing but I got the DVD set when I was the right age to appreciate the show and maybe it's bc I don't know what I'm missing but I thought it was perfectly watchable
It is, but as someone who both saw original airings and got the DVDs it is missing that zeitgeist-y flavor that only really comes from MTV being able to throw "No Surprises" on the soundtrack for 30 seconds or what have you. It dates the show in a good way.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

I used to be play RBI Baseball "2k9" so I'm sure they've updated rosters still for that game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Madden football was the big game when I was in college. One dorm room was pretty much a 24-hour Madden marathon. Even the RA would end up sitting on the Lethargy Couch (tm) playing.

Unsurprisingly, most of those guys were gone after two semesters.