Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like it. That also seems like an extremely good way to break your neck or your teeth or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Glagha posted:

I like it. That also seems like an extremely good way to break your neck or your teeth or both.

I wanna know what's going on in the bottom right of that picture.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
http://web.archive.org/web/20010805234600/gamesdomain.co.uk/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/jun00/deusex.html

quote:

Whether you like Deus Ex has a lot to do with where your priorities are. Do you just want to play a secret agent no matter how flat his personality? Do you get tickled hearing about loopy conspiracies as if they were even remotely plausible? Are you happy shooting enemies dumber than Doom demons by the dozen? Do you enjoy twiddling RPG-ish attributes with a vague sense that it doesn't really matter? Are you blissfully oblivious to clichés, convoluted meandering stories, diffuse settings, and erratic pacing? Do you thrill at the prospect of playing an action hero who also has to be a stingy quartermaster? Is your neck strong enough to handle any potential whiplash from the stuttering framerates caused by level designers with no sense for how many polygons their engine can reasonably handle? Are you willing to go beyond the mere suspension of disbelief? Are you wiling to hang it from the neck until dead?

If the answer to many of these questions is 'yes', then queue the "Mission Impossible" theme (spare yourself the game's generic soundtrack) and boot up Deus Ex. It'll take quite a while to load, so you can read on.

Unsurprisingly the author Tom Chick is still plinking away at an unsuccessful career as a game critic twenty years later.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Is he the guy that had the wargaming column in CGW (that I ignored 95 percent of the time)? I remember he wrote some great stuff about RTS/TBS games but was definitely not someone you would want to review anything with any kind of action in it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

chick tracts still suck

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jesus tapdancing christ on a pogo stick, this guy is expecting people to pay money for game reviews in the year 2020?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gynovore posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ on a pogo stick, this guy is expecting people to pay money for game reviews in the year 2020?

Maybe that's why he's one of the only people of the 90s and 00s game reviewer ecosystem to not manage to eke out a living either as a podcaster, youtuber, or professional shill for publishers and people like Limited Run Games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tom Chick is an interesting reviewer for me. I like to read or hear what he says about games occasionally, because he tends to take a long look at game mechanics and explains his unique view of how the game functions well, and in a way that sometimes makes me look at a game a bit differently.

I pretty much never agree with him about what a good game or a bad game is. If he really likes a game, it's virtually a guarantee that I will regard that game as a well-meaning piece of dreck. If he doesn't like a game, it's probably good and fun. He's what a more antagonistic goon might call, "a person with bad and wrong opinions." But I'd say he's like that friend who thinks he understands movies better than you do, who you sometimes pass the time pleasantly arguing with.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gynovore posted:

I get the sense that his site Quarter to Three is its own little self-sustaining cult-thing (like SA, maybe), and that they make up the bulk of his supporters:

quote:

Quarter to Three is an odd bird. Much of our traffic comes from a small forum community, recently integrated into the front page instead of hiding behind it. We're a group of people, some of whom have known each other for years. There are some incredibly smart people in there and they do an amazing job keeping the place civil, lively, and welcoming.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Possible/probable. I'm part of a small forum that's been around since '98, and only in the past year has started to stagnate. Probably about 30-50 users it used to have.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I am one of his supporters. Not in a serious capacity, but still. It's Patreon. People come there to give some cash to creators they like. Tom Chick has written a lot of interesting stuff even if you don't agree with it. He's also good at pointing issues with popular complex games, like famously he's one of very few reviewers who saw issues that were ignored by other critics and later discovered by the community with games like Empire Total War, Civilization 5, Stellaris right on release.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There were people who didn't see problems with Stellaris at release? Even Paradox knew the game was unfinished.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Most big sites gave it 8/10 and metacritic sits on lower score mostly thanks to Tom Chick's 20/100.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

doctorfrog posted:

I get the sense that his site Quarter to Three is its own little self-sustaining cult-thing (like SA, maybe), and that they make up the bulk of his supporters:

I managed to troll him into banning himself from his own forum once, that was a fun time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ilitarist posted:

Most big sites gave it 8/10 and metacritic sits on lower score mostly thanks to Tom Chick's 20/100.

Big sites giving AAA turds an 8/10 has been a given for decades. It's been lampooned well enough. There's no keen insight in seeing that Civ5/BE/6 had serious issues, the community saw it fast enough. And my grandma who's been dead since the 80's was repulsed by Stellaris.

But uh, Patreon the guy if you want, I have no idea who he is, no skin off of my nose.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He shows up on Three Moves Ahead sometimes and I'm fine with it, he can explain his views well when they differ from the others.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

With the possible exception of generally trying to avoid the John Walkers of the world, I don't care enough about any individual reviewers to ever even remember their names, let alone what publications they work for and etc.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The only one I know the name besides Jim Sterling is Tim Rogers and I discovered that guy just last year. Tim Rogers make some long but fun videos and you cam see the guy is really passionate about video games in general.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

chaosapiant posted:

With the possible exception of generally trying to avoid the John Walkers of the world, I don't care enough about any individual reviewers to ever even remember their names, let alone what publications they work for and etc.

ah yes, joyless john walker

e: I go through stretches where I read more about games than play them, so I guess that's why I know some names.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The thing is, he's not wrong that the story of Deus Ex is built on absurd conspiracy theories, that the skills you choose don't really matter, that the AI is very stupid, that Denton doesn't have much personality, etc.. He's just wrong about those making the game bad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Guillermus posted:

The only one I know the name besides Jim Sterling is Tim Rogers and I discovered that guy just last year. Tim Rogers make some long but fun videos and you cam see the guy is really passionate about video games in general.

to anyone who, like me, enjoys tim rogers: i recommend checking out the archives at http://www.actionbutton.net/

to anyone who doesn't: free to reply to this post with your complaints

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Who else is gearing up for a 20th anniversary playthrough this summer?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Well I am now

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
In 2020 this game is more relevant than ever.

Old men...are the future.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
play deus ex 20 times in 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Gonna need a thread title update to Deus Ex:Decennial Edition:Decennial Edition

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m still not in a position to play games with a KB/M on my PC (no desk anymore), but luckily my local CEX solved that problem for a mere £1.

So that’s two 20th anniversaries come to think of it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I actually just picked up a copy of "The Conspiracy" for PS2 because I found a very good deal. I may do an "After Action Report" at some point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've only heard nebulous things about the level design and gameplay system changes so I would very much dig a writeup if someone who has it is down to do one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah I'd love to see screenshots of things like the additional map boundaries

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Big sites giving AAA turds an 8/10 has been a given for decades. It's been lampooned well enough. There's no keen insight in seeing that Civ5/BE/6 had serious issues, the community saw it fast enough. And my grandma who's been dead since the 80's was repulsed by Stellaris.

But uh, Patreon the guy if you want, I have no idea who he is, no skin off of my nose.

For an inverted case of AA+ games getting easy passes, remember how reviewers got super huffy at not having ARC copies and gave Prey lovely reviews? God that shits me, especially because I had a couple of friends parrot some of the petulant little bitch reviews back to me as the reason they hadn't been interested in the game until I gushed about it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This is exactly why you need reviewers you can trust and understand. A good reviewer will love the game and explain me why I wouldn't like it, or hate it and still sell it to me. I can totally see people hating Prey or any other game I love and giving it a bad score and the most famous IGN review was pretty clear why they loved it. But in case of many AAA games (especially big multiplayer or strategy games) you just see reviewer noting that the game was competently made and has a lot of stuff so you'll like it if you like games like that.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’ll do an effort post about my experience with the port so far a bit later, but this guy made an extensive comparison between the two versions. It’s not as cut and dry as the PC maps being chopped into smaller bits.

Ignoring resolution, it effectively boils down to the PC version having better lighting and more open areas, whereas the PS2 version is moving a lot more polygons around. I think it’s one of those “eye of the beholder” situations, as to which you prefer.

If anyone in here has played both the PC and PS1 versions of Quake 2 they probably understand what I mean. Even though on a technical level the PC version absolutely crushes the PS1 version, the latter is my preference visually because they added so much colour to the game it’s much more interesting to look at as opposed to endless brown and orange.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’ll do an effort post about my experience with the port so far a bit later, but this guy made an extensive comparison between the two versions. It’s not as cut and dry as the PC maps being chopped into smaller bits.

This is extremely my poo poo, thanks

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What are the recommended mods nowadays? I saw that there's a New Visions 2.0a out, is that any good?

Used to be New Visions + HDTP + Kentie's DX10 Renderer for graphics and Shifter or Biomod for gameplay...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I personally really like GMDX but there's at least one person here who hates it, so, I dunno. I think the source of the hate stems from the fact that GMDX makes the game harder, and some people aren't down for that? Personally I always pick the highest difficulty in a game 90% of the time so I didn't really notice. That site has a bunch of videos detailing the changes.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
All I remember about GMDX is that you can use your strength aug to get rid of bodies by hurling them against the nearest flat surface so hard they explode. GOTY

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I did that once. Accidentally. :stare:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Crindee posted:

All I remember about GMDX is that you can use your strength aug to get rid of bodies by hurling them against the nearest flat surface so hard they explode. GOTY

What a rotten way to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Had some more time to play Deus Ex PS2 (it doesn’t have The Conspiracy subtitle in Europe for some reason), and I’ve completed the training mission and have entered UNATCO HQ after completing the first mission on Liberty Island.

Graphically it looks as good as you expect an early PS2 era PC port to look on a modern HDTV, and that link from earlier goes into plenty of detail of the visual differences between the two. What isn’t readily apparent in the steam guide is while textures are worse than PC, the models have been upgraded (characters actually have modelled eyes now). Animations have also been improved – instead of bodies falling completely flat parallel to the ground, they now collapse relatively realistically. It’s a neat enhancement.

Performance isn’t great. It keeps at a steady 30fps in smaller areas but chugs a bit in larger areas or when there is a great deal going on screen. The controls are intuitive and work very well. A neat addition is a Goldeneye/Timesplitters-esque free aiming mode where you hold L2 to move the crosshair around the screen using the right stick while the camera remains still. Aiming this way means you don’t have to wait for the crosshair to shrink to have a hope of hitting your target, and you can lean around corners at the same time while using the left stick. It basically means you can lean around corners and squeeze off quick headshots before anyone realises you’re there and I absolutely love it.

The inventory system has been replaced by a basic slot system rather than the grid the PC version uses, which is a bit odd because a couple of years down the line Resident Evil 4 used the same system and that was a console title as well. Its not all bad though, it means that a GEP Gun takes up as much room as a can of fizzy drink, providing many opportunities to execute the most silent of takedowns.

The only thing that is a bit of a bugger is that theres no way to freely enter passwords or keycodes. In order to use a password/keycode, you have to find the item that contains that code, or be told it by a character. So even if you’ve played the game a million times and know drat well the code to the shed is 0451, you still have to find the datapad that tells you this before you can use it.

So far though, it’s a really good port. If you have a PS2 knocking around and can find a cheap copy its probably worth giving it a go just to see this slightly unique take on the first game.