Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

torgeaux posted:

If ever there was a smug frat bro faced asshat I'd change the channel to avoid, it's P. Rivers.

Oh hey. It's someone who's literally never heard Philip Rivers talk about football before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Does not apply to PEDs but it looks like NFLPA played their recreational drug suspension card.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1235579426856775681

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Ehud posted:

Are we talking about the same guy because that’s a really weird Rivers take.

Which recent QBs would that take accurately describe?

Ben (particularly asshat)
Cutler (but in a good way)
Mayfield
Stafford (just the frat bro part)
Leinart

I'm obv forgetting some notable ones

Regardless, Rivers is in the Dalton/Flacco/Eli group of goofy goobers IMO

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

I want Rivers to go away forever so I can forget the moutheyes. And the whining I guess.

(also because he was good and beat my team a bunch until he decided to never do that again sometime around 2010)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I want Rivers to go away forever so I can forget the moutheyes. And the whining I guess.

(also because he was good and beat my team a bunch until he decided to never do that again sometime around 2010)

I think it coincided with Reid getting there

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Diva Cupcake posted:

Does not apply to PEDs but it looks like NFLPA played their recreational drug suspension card.

Good for them. If they're gonna get screwed on the extra game they might as well get all the quality of life stuff they can.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

a neat cape posted:

Oh hey. It's someone who's literally never heard Philip Rivers talk about football before

Didn't say anything about how he sounds or the content of his opinion.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

Watching him play was painful. The combination of being really good, but Tom Brady level complaining and whining. Ugh.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Diva Cupcake posted:

This seems designed to make sure it passes.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Didn't say anything about how he sounds or the content of his opinion.

Those are important things for a guy doing commentary

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

i hope the michaels trade happens simply because i want tirico to be the SNF guy, he's probably the best PBP dude in the business

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

a neat cape posted:

Those are important things for a guy doing commentary

Yes. I'm sure he will have good important things to say. I won't see them at least for a while because the whining arm flailing bullshit on the field makes me dislike the guy, and I figure that'll take at least a season of not seeing that lovely face pleading for a holding call.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Diva Cupcake posted:

Time to buy in on Josh Gordon playing a full season finally!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

waah posted:

Time to buy in on Josh Gordon playing a full season finally!

Poor Ricky Williams. A generation too late.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how long until the owners force an 18th game on the players because I bet it happens a lot sooner than the expiration of this new CBA.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

i mean they literally cant do that under a cba that says they cant so theres that at least

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Diva Cupcake posted:

Any reason they can't still suspend them for "conduct detrimental to the team"? I feel like if the team or the NFL wants to suspend somebody they can do so at any time and without any reason whatsoever.

I guess what I actually mean is will they stop testing for marijuana altogether or will they still test for it but then pretend to not suspend someone for the results?

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 5, 2020

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Inspector 34 posted:

Any reason they can't still suspend them for "conduct detrimental to the team"? I feel like if the team or the NFL wants to suspend somebody they can do so at any time and without any reason whatsoever.

I guess what I actually mean is will they stop testing for marijuana altogether or will they still test for it but then pretend to not suspend someone for the results?

The jags did that a bunch under Coughlin. They had to repay the players and FA's were telling the team to screw not to mention guys very publically saying they want out even after he was fired.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Inspector 34 posted:

conduct detrimental is subject to grievances, weed suspensions aren't. The player could just file a valid grievance and get their paycheck back and the team was without them for a game

also I may be crazy but I don't think the NFL can suspend someone for conduct detrimental to the team, that's up to the teams. If Jared Goff rolls out of Rams practice and pops some weed gummies are they really going to bench and fine him for it?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'll admit I don't know anything about the specifics of how/when players get suspended, it just seems like recently all the power has been with the team and league in regards to handling suspensions and not much recourse available to players. Sure you can appeal a suspension but then Goodell just says, "Nah, get hosed."

So my question is still will they continue to test for marijuana or any other recreational drugs? And if so, why if not to use the results against the player?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/Grosdoriane/status/1235359816236838912?s=20

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

So my question is still will they continue to test for marijuana or any other recreational drugs? And if so, why if not to use the results against the player?
Yes, they’ll still test and the results can be subject to a fine and admittance into their Intervention programs. Josh Gordon can’t just do as much blow as possible with no repercussions now; he just can’t be suspended for it.

Here’s the full proposed substance program:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/2020_Policy_and_Program_on_Substances_of_Abuse.pdf

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh yeah I guess I totally forgot about other penalties besides suspensions. I still think it's dumb to even test for weed in places where it's legal now though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh yeah I guess I totally forgot about other penalties besides suspensions. I still think it's dumb to even test for weed in places where it's legal now though.

It's dumb to test for weed period by an employer like the NFL, without regard for it's local legality.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Inspector 34 posted:

At the very least I believe the new CBA limits testing to a two week window at the start of training camp, and thresholds are much higher.

Meaning basically, they just need to abstain for a few weeks once a year and they can blaze on the rest of the year. It's still stupid but at least it almost becomes a non-issue.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Finally. I wonder what the price will be.

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1235687431791423494?s=21

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I reckon a second.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Didn’t the Browns offer up their 1st last year and Bruce Allen turned it down? I still think he’ll fetch a 1st from someone.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Diva Cupcake posted:

Didn’t the Browns offer up their 1st last year and Bruce Allen turned it down? I still think he’ll fetch a 1st from someone.

I guess it only takes one desperate team. Still, he's 32, wants all the money, has health issues, the tackle draft class seems strong and his relationship with the team seems unsalvageable.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Can't wait to watch a new generation of Lawrence Taylor's, doing a fat line of coke before coming out of the tunnel!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Dorsey did in fact offer a 1st. They're not getting a 1st this year unless someone in the backend feels like paying him. A deep tackle class and renewed rumors that he wants a new contract took his trade value down hard. Late 1st at best more likely 2nd or even 3rd depending on how much Trent is looking for.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If the patriots really do end up with &e I reserve the right to consider them cool and good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

If the patriots really do end up with &e I reserve the right to consider them cool and good.

&e?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That's a local colloquialism for noted decent Bengals QB Ampersnandee, better known as Amps.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Andey Daldon

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If the Pats get Dalton I’m rooting for 2-14

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Tank 4 Trevor

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Poor Jets

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

2 interceptions, 14 wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Dalton on the Pats intrigues me.

- He takes to good coaching really well, which he'd get with Bill
- He can be fragile, which is not something Bill has been known to nurture