Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

We okay with non-historicals? :D

I picked up an Armored Core/Giant Robot a few weeks ago and finally got him built, I'm planning to strip him down again and paint him up in the nearish future and want to go out and out on weathering, decals, etc. I have two more kits to build first.

28mm dude next to him for some scale. Forgive the night time phone camera picture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Had a fun adventure with the airbrush yesterday. Oridinarilly I brush paint everything except for the body which I do with spray cans. Last time I used it and cleaned it I obviously didn't reinstall the needle correctly which meant that it worked for about 15 minutes before it started spraying paint everywhere and sputtering. Once I installed the needle properly it worked faultlessly for the rest fo the session. What would normally be couple of weeks of brush painting in the time I have available became a 2 hour job including waiting for poo poo to dry so I could mask off some bits for new colours.

I'll have to wait for the paints to turn up so that I can get the body done but I can certainly see the benefit for using the airbrush to do most of the painting which should mean I can get things done in a shorter amount of time.

I'm also looking at switching to zero paints primer because it is more economical than getting cans of tamiya spray which I don't fancy decanting and spraying.

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013
Built a Panzer IV D from Tamiya. Tried practicing painting panzer gray and doing figures. I think the paint on the faces is a bit too thick, but decided to add them anyway.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Made some progress on my Porsche 934 today. I was originally going to use the zero paints matched paint but it was sold out so I followed the mixing ratios in the instructions. It's only the third car I've airbrushed but I feel like I'm getting a better finish. Airbrushed most of the other bits and pieces last weekend so they're pretty much ready for assembly onto the chassis.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
MikroMir 1/72 Kharkiv KhAI-3

Short run, needed a lot of plastic carving and filling and sanding etc. Still, I think it's beautiful.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
That is one lovely plane. It kinda reminds me of the future planes in the Transport Tycoon games.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So are Zero paints still basically impossible to get in the US?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ever since I found out you can thin Tamiya White Putty with laquer thinner, I very much prefer it for seam + gap filling to Vallejo stuff. Problem is I love the vallejo needle nose applicator.

So whats the best way to apply the tamiya white putty? I've been using a brush and knife but both are messy and not super effective compared to the vallejo putty applicator.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Buy empty bottles with needles?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
This maybe?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_category=1123&controller=category

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Went by the hardware store to grab some filters for my respirator and everything was sold out because of corona virus fears. I have a bunch of surgical masks at home I got last year but that wont do jack for paint, I should see if anyone on facebook market wants to trade.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Blackchamber posted:

Went by the hardware store to grab some filters for my respirator and everything was sold out because of corona virus fears.

I didn't know these where NBC certified :rolleyes:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Furism posted:

I didn't know these where NBC certified :rolleyes:

No, what drove me crazy about this paranoia is that they were still fully stocked on latex and nitrile gloves (I needed some for some resin printing so that worked out at least) and eye protection. People are only concerned with breathing it in, not touching contaminated surfaces or having it cough/sneezed into their eyes or touching their own face. I mean go full hazmat not half-assed.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

I love that colour!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Went by the hardware store to grab some filters for my respirator and everything was sold out because of corona virus fears. I have a bunch of surgical masks at home I got last year but that wont do jack for paint, I should see if anyone on facebook market wants to trade.

Same, I was running low and they’re 100% gone in the DC area so far.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

In the US no but in Australia yes. There's a single company that is willing to import the paint and slightly too frequently they only grab one or two jars of a particular colour rather than going for a handful at a time so one of my projects is on hold until I can get mann filter yellow paint.

On the porsche front I've got a majority of the decals on as seen below. It's kinda odd but the colour seems to be darkening slightly as time goes on which is fine but not something I've seen before especially given that the photos where taken under the exact same light with the only difference being the green cloth not being under the car. First photo is sunday compared to today.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Color perception is relative. It may be that the paint isn't darkening, but the decals are messing with how you see the base color. Just a thought.

And an excuse to post this fun image:

The labeled squares are the same color

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Hey guys. I recently came into some hard to replace wargames sprues and I was thinking of making a 2-part mold to copy them in resin. Is that even feasible? These are very small parts. Should I take them off the existing sprue and make my own with vents in the mold?

Is this a dumb idea? Because I spent a bunch of money on mold stuff already.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
for something small i would probably just do a one piece mold

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Beerdeer posted:

Hey guys. I recently came into some hard to replace wargames sprues and I was thinking of making a 2-part mold to copy them in resin. Is that even feasible? These are very small parts. Should I take them off the existing sprue and make my own with vents in the mold?

It's not a dumb idea, my best friend and I used to do it regularly. Cutting your own vents is probably a good idea rather than using the sprues-- you will also probably run into some issues with bubbles in the mold and castings as well. We sure did!

That particular problem can be solved by rigging your own vacuum chamber.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fearless posted:

That particular problem can be solved by rigging your own vacuum chamber.
How easy is it to do this? Asking for... mad science.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Very easy. I've used almost this exact setup to do good stuff.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/pressure-vacuum-setup-using-hf-paint-pot.28705/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sadly that looks a bit too... meltable... I suspect this will remain a pipe dream.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you need filters, digikey seems to have a decent selection of 3M cartridges in stock at the moment.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arquinsiel posted:

Sadly that looks a bit too... meltable... I suspect this will remain a pipe dream.

What? Meltable?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

Very, very easy. For the pressures you'd be working with, you don't need anything more than a pressure cooker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYZrIgnLS0

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have any decent resources on how to fill gaps and seams? I am using Tamiya White Putty. I'm trying it thinned down with laquer thinner but it doesn't seem to getting flush. Do I have to resort to overfilling + sanding? There's detail I don't want to destroy on this kit.,

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Does anyone have any decent resources on how to fill gaps and seams? I am using Tamiya White Putty. I'm trying it thinned down with laquer thinner but it doesn't seem to getting flush. Do I have to resort to overfilling + sanding? There's detail I don't want to destroy on this kit.,

I've had my best luck with overfilling and sanding down and using a very fine grit to make it flush.

Also, I haven't tried this myself but I've heard you can use cyano glue to fill in seams.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Pack some baking soda in the seam first, then add small amounts of liquid CA. The soda acts as a filler and becomes rock hard.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Beerdeer posted:

Out of curiosity, what mold making stuff did you get? I'm looking to duplicate some model components in clear resin for effects purposes, and none of the mold materials I've picked up at my local Blicks have been satisfactory.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Your best bet is a two part silicone rubber for molds. If it's a flat backed part you can just stick it to a piece of styrene, make your surrounding dam and you'll have an open faced mold.

If it needs to have detail all over you may be able to get away with this if it doesn't have much in the way of overhangs. Otherwise it'll have to be a two part mold. There are lots of vids and pages on how to best go about this.

I assume you're going to use uv setting clear resin? I used this to make greeblies to detail up my 2001 Discovery. Worked out nicely, just be careful about your desk lights - I found my LED strip light gave off too much uv and the resin would set while I was still working on it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Out of curiosity, what mold making stuff did you get? I'm looking to duplicate some model components in clear resin for effects purposes, and none of the mold materials I've picked up at my local Blicks have been satisfactory.

Not sure if Blicks carries Smooth-On products, but Smooth-On is top-tier pro level molding and casting materials. Pricey, but I've used them several times myself and they've always works wonderfully. Worth the effort to track down.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

if you're in california TAP plastics has a transparent platinum based rubber that i use to make encasement style molds

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fearless posted:

Very, very easy. For the pressures you'd be working with, you don't need anything more than a pressure cooker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYZrIgnLS0
Sorry, should have been clear. This is not a modelling project, this is a hypothetical plasma engine project, assuming such could ever be done in the home.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
If you are trying to copy some small pieces this might be a good technique:

https://youtu.be/mVZLXLaidjQ

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So here's my gap filling results:

You can still see the gaps, and deformations from leftover putty despite sanding.

Did I put too much putty? Not enough? Did I not sand enough? Am I using the wrong grit (medium, fine sanding sticks and a 3000 grit tamiya sanding sponge)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

do you have a clamp? it's be easiest if you could close the gap with some clamping and glue

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

What is that kit so I can avoid it? I've seen the other plane you did which looked really good so I'm convinced that kit is butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Carth Dookie posted:

What is that kit so I can avoid it? I've seen the other plane you did which looked really good so I'm convinced that kit is butt.

Revell P-40b. It was $10 and the copyright info I had to sand off said copyright 1964