Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hello I'm very excited about Animal Crossing and would like to join the gang, I brought my bag of stolen bells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I wish to be a Raccoon Goon as well. All kneecaps will be sold

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

sign me up for the Raccoon Goon Squad.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Kaethela posted:

No real sidestories/quests; they'll sometimes ask you to deliver or fetch a thing or offer a trade or something like that, but nothing overarching. In the past games they would just walk around aimlessly and fish and whatnot but it looks like they might have a bit more to do in this one. I'm not sure what characters would do in SV so it's hard to compare. You can definitely become friends with them, and they'll remember if you've been nice/mean to them to an extent.

Ah, bummer. Thanks! The social stuff in SV isn't super in-depth, either - every character has a bunch of characterizing cutscenes you bump into as you know them better, wander in specific places at specific times, have favourite spots etc. You can also gift items to them and every character has their own preferences. Once you see all of the content it feels a bit shallow, but early on the process of getting to know everyone and see little glimpses of their personality/behaviour via the cutscenes is a lot of fun.

Tbh, Animal Crossing villagers finding their favourite spot on the island you terraform would be cool. A character prefers a forest and would eventually start hanging in your cool forest park, etc :c00l:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hempuli posted:

Ah, bummer. Thanks! The social stuff in SV isn't super in-depth, either - every character has a bunch of characterizing cutscenes you bump into as you know them better, wander in specific places at specific times, have favourite spots etc. You can also gift items to them and every character has their own preferences. Once you see all of the content it feels a bit shallow, but early on the process of getting to know everyone and see little glimpses of their personality/behaviour via the cutscenes is a lot of fun.

Tbh, Animal Crossing villagers finding their favourite spot on the island you terraform would be cool. A character prefers a forest and would eventually start hanging in your cool forest park, etc :c00l:

SV characters have more of an arc due to the story lines and events as your friendship grows but its pretty much a linear thing. AC animals just get friendlier and remember stuff and chat to you and ask for stuff. i wouldnt say either is better or worse than the other, just different approaches.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I have no idea how gang tags work but I'm also all in on the Raccoon Goon bandwagon

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want to be a Racoon Goon

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
One of the new previews has a twelve digit name if you include "island" so it looks like suffixes may actually be available in English as well.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want to be a Racoon Goon

I've never played before but I am all in at this point. Rip and tear.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'd, uh, also like to express MY fondness for... that, particular gang tag.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Agreed that being able to see the little flag would be awesome. But this is great as is.

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

I've never been in a gang before but can I join the Racoon Goon gang? :kiddo:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
That gang tag rules, count me in if we're still giving them out

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

I too wish to be a Raccoon Goon.

This one is quite hip.

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

It's a chill, slow rear end burn. Catch some bugs, collect some furniture, trade and hang out with some cool folks and have a good ol time.
And maybe harass some kangaroos. :getout:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Zore posted:

That gang tag rules, count me in if we're still giving them out

Same, it's amazing.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
I want to be a Raccoon Goon!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I too would like to become a Raccoon Goon

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mutata posted:

Added rounded corners and some finishing if transparency is an option:

More saturated:

With the flag being behind the words I think it might look better if you erased it entirely.

Gluteus Maximus
Oct 20, 2007

OH LAWD, HE COMIN'
TO TOWN

mutata posted:

More saturated:

drat, it feels good to be a goon.

Sign me up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ACWorldBlog/status/1235737240908808192

Animated carpets too

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I want animated wallpaper and animated flooring and to join a raccoon gang and also for it to be March 20th already.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

[to the tune of Gucci Gang] Racc Gang Racc Gang Racc Gang Racc Gang

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mutata posted:

More saturated:

i am all the way down for this gang tag

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlsXJKz7mOw&t=313s

holy gently caress that museum :eyepop:

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

While we're all anxiously waiting with nothing better to do, this is probably a good time to check out the friends list in the OP and either add yourself to it or catch up on a bunch of invites. I just blasted out a bunch.

Squats posted:

And maybe harass some kangaroos. :getout:

oh hell yeah :neckbeard: playing with you was one of the best parts of New Leaf, can't wait to do it again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm ashamed to admit to not really knowing how friend stuff works in this, my New Leaf experience amounted to occasionally remember to turn on Streetpass or whatever in the hopes of something random showing up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm ashamed to admit to not really knowing how friend stuff works in this, my New Leaf experience amounted to occasionally remember to turn on Streetpass or whatever in the hopes of something random showing up.

The American Stress Pass Experience.

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

Captain Hygiene posted:

In New Leaf to have any multiplayer, someone had to open their town gates which just opened their town to incoming visitors. If you wanted to visit anywhere else, you'd check at the gate to see if any other towns were open, and if one was you headed over and hung out or shop or beat the poo poo out of their unpopular villagers with nets or hammers or beans. You could only really interact with people you manually registered in your DS friends list and I'm assuming its the same this time around? In that game more friends meant more opportunities for towns to hang out in, or people to come over.

Not sure how it'll work here, maybe you'll have to open your airport to allow incoming flights too?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I want to be a Raccon Goon. I would like the tag.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Tag when!? I want to be a Raccoon Goon!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

In New Leaf to have any multiplayer, someone had to open their town gates which just opened their town to incoming visitors. If you wanted to visit anywhere else, you'd check at the gate to see if any other towns were open, and if one was you headed over and hung out or shop or beat the poo poo out of their unpopular villagers with nets or hammers or beans. You could only really interact with people you manually registered in your DS friends list and I'm assuming its the same this time around? In that game more friends meant more opportunities for towns to hang out in, or people to come over.

Not sure how it'll work here, maybe you'll have to open your airport to allow incoming flights too?

I guess the big thing I was wondering was whether it's likely to be actively interacting or just passive stuff, like if visiting other people's towns meant you were there in real time or just seeing a copy of whatever they built. (Or if we even know at this point)
Basically I don't even *really* know how what you mentioned worked in the older games.

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

I would also love to be a Raccoon Goon!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

I guess the big thing I was wondering was whether it's likely to be actively interacting or just passive stuff, like if visiting other people's towns meant you were there in real time or just seeing a copy of whatever they built. (Or if we even know at this point)
Basically I don't even *really* know how what you mentioned worked in the older games.

Visiting towns is real time, you hang out with the host (and anyone else visiting).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Visiting towns is real time, you hang out with the host (and anyone else visiting).

That's awesome, somehow it really didn't cross my mind at the time that it might even be that level of interactive.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I think the local gameplay we've seen will be pretty much the same as online play, minus the ability to freely hack things down and dig things up.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Have we seen any gyroids yet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So let’s review: Tom Nook is setting up people on isolated, unpopulated private islands. A little odd but not unheard of. Next the only way on or off the island is an airline that he controls. A little disconcerting if your conspiracy minded but still ok. The only means those on the island have to communicate with the outside world is Nook phones, proprietary devices he directly controls. Getting weird now. He gives those on the island 100% interest free loans they can choose to pay back or not. That’s really weird how does Nook plan to make money back on this venture? Something is clearly going on here. Tom Nook is creating secret labs in the museums on his island. I’ve played Resident Evil I know how secret labs in museums go. We’re test subjects for this evil little raccoon man!

The Island of Doctor Shrunk

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Can I set up a villager to yell "DE PLANE, DE PLANE!!!" when someone comes to my island?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was born to be a Raccoon Goon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Have we seen any gyroids yet?

Only Lloid so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I forget which game it was but I used to collect gyroids and put them all in one room, it was A Goal.