Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
South Philly:

Get a banh mi at Ba Le, pho at Pho 75, drink a citywide at Ray's or Bob and Barbara's or Dive Bar or 12 Steps Down, eat pizza from Rosario's or LaRosa, have a cheesesteak from Oregon Steaks or John's Roast Pork or Phil's, see a show at Connie's Ric Rac or Boot and Saddle or Century if you're feeling adventurous, eat a burger at Fountain Porter, get a hoagie from Cosmi's or Ricci's, get chinese food from China House or A Lin only if you're drunk and it's after midnight, buy your liquor from the store at Broad and Washington, buy your beer from Bell Beverage, eat Mexican from Los Gallos, drink margaritas at Cantina Los Caballitos, fried chicken from Andy's or Redcrest, get growlers from Brewery ARS, take your vegan friends to The Tasty, eat breakfast anytime from Melrose Diner, eat a fancier and more political breakfast at Morning Glory, go shopping at Philly Aids Thrift, eat an inexpensive meal at Ikea and enjoy the lovely view.

I could just keep going on in an endless stream of consciousness about things to eat and buy and experience in South Philly but that's a large enough wall of text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

shut up netface posted:

Get insanely good and cheap pho in south philly that’s served in what looks like a instructional cafeteria setting

Go to Rays Happy Birthday Bar. Drink PBR and well whiskey and inhale cigarette smoke until you black out.

Best fuckin city

Ray's citywide is Yuengling Premium, the worst Yuengling, and Windsor Canadian, a very bland Canadian plastic bottle garbage whiskey. It will run you $4. They also have an amazing karaoke night. Afterwards it's just a stumble away to a cheesesteak at Pat's. You have to walk by Geno's to get there but whatever.

Never go to Geno's ever. Ever.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Did anyone post the action news 6 fanfare yet

https://youtu.be/fGCWA6vQjqE

Best tv news music of all time by far

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Haven't had a Yuengling Premium since I bought them at Pasquale's at 43rd and Walnut around 2002. The Drexel Shuttle used to go down to the grocery store across the street. Pasquale's did not card anyone. The entire freshman dorm would be there every night until the place got busted. Then again until they got busted again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I had friends who went to Penn and Drexel and I remember going to some place that might have been that in either 2004 or 2005 where they sold an underage person a whole bunch of Yuengling quarts back when they used to have a unique shape.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The new Lord Chesterfield cans have the truncated word "Chetty" on them and it's vile

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

shut up netface posted:

Get insanely good and cheap pho in south philly that’s served in what looks like a instructional cafeteria setting

Go to Rays Happy Birthday Bar. Drink PBR and well whiskey and inhale cigarette smoke until you black out.

Best fuckin city

That pho place is pretty good, if it’s the one I’m thinking of on Washington.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I had friends who went to Penn and Drexel and I remember going to some place that might have been that in either 2004 or 2005 where they sold an underage person a whole bunch of Yuengling quarts back when they used to have a unique shape.

Yeah that place was a pizza shop that sold quarts, used to call the Yuengling ones a "hand grenade." Bottles were shorter and rounder and stubbier.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dubplate Fire posted:

That pho place is pretty good, if it’s the one I’m thinking of on Washington.

I think you all are talking about Pho 75, my absolute recommendation.

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah that place was a pizza shop that sold quarts, used to call the Yuengling ones a "hand grenade." Bottles were shorter and rounder and stubbier.

I miss them. You can get banquet beer in little 12 ounce versions of a similar bottle but it's not the same. And it's not Yuengling.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Thanks for the South Philly recs. I generally have an idea for Asian food, but I've been out of touch on the bar scene.

Have you guys had Pho Ga Thanh Thanh in Kensington? I know it was pretty much the go-to chicken pho place for local Asians, but it's just located in smack dab in Kenzo.

Also, if you like pho and you like bo kho (beef stew), you should try the combination of the two, usually called either pho bo kho or hu tieu bo kho. The one at Pho Ha on Washington is pretty good.

I'll have to check out Rays.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Have you guys had Pho Ga Thanh Thanh in Kensington? I know it was pretty much the go-to chicken pho place for local Asians, but it's just located in smack dab in Kenzo.

I live down the block from this place. I'll have to try it. I only been to Thang Long so far.

Also, to those not in this fine city. Do you like buffalo wings? Do you like cheesesteaks? If so to both, would you like a Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak? They're just great.

And to add to pizza chat, Thin and Crispy and Four Sons in Kenzington are both solid. Wolf Street was not as good but decent overall when I lived in Point Breeze if you live in that area and are hurting for decent pizza options.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdMnt0hxCY

At least we're self-aware?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Enduring Mystery of ‘Jawn,’ Philadelphia’s All-Purpose Noun

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm sorry but any time I hear a non-hood white person saying jawn it's pretty much cultural appropriation. They almost never say it without at least a hint of irony in their voice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you have to read an article to understand it you’re not cool enough to use it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A man named Jim Pappas is trying to get to the bottom of this cheesesteak thing by eating and rating every cheesesteak in the universe.

https://philadelphiacheesesteakadventure.com

His site's got it all: stats, a spreadsheet, pictures and video, blogposts. It's incredible.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is he eating them sober? I'm not sure that's the best way to experience cheesesteaks.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Terminus posted:

I live down the block from this place. I'll have to try it. I only been to Thang Long so far.

Also, to those not in this fine city. Do you like buffalo wings? Do you like cheesesteaks? If so to both, would you like a Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak? They're just great.

And to add to pizza chat, Thin and Crispy and Four Sons in Kenzington are both solid. Wolf Street was not as good but decent overall when I lived in Point Breeze if you live in that area and are hurting for decent pizza options.

Wolf street ain’t bad. Pizza pub is good for individual slices and cocaine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pizza Pub is great if you want to watch humans fight other humans for entirely incoherent reasons.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Man. Nodding Head has been gone for years. I remember they had this ridiculous 12% monster IPA called Hoptimus Prime that kind of tasted like teriyaki. Good times there, though.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

A man named Jim Pappas is trying to get to the bottom of this cheesesteak thing by eating and rating every cheesesteak in the universe.

https://philadelphiacheesesteakadventure.com

His site's got it all: stats, a spreadsheet, pictures and video, blogposts. It's incredible.

He only rated Dalessandro's a 90 because they put subpar mushrooms on it

Who puts mushrooms on a steak? weak

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was back in town last weekend. I had a cheesesteak at Chickie and Pete's, Johnny Longhots, and Chicks Deli, all in Jersey.

I also had two Wawa breakfast sandwiches, some scrapple at a diner, a Primo hoagie, two six packs of Yards, several Yeunglings, and three Tasty Cakes.

We brought 15 pretzels back with us on the plane.

Also went to Craft Hall brewery, where all of my grown-up friends brought their young children to play on the playground and get tanked on beer. It was really bizarre that I saw two separate people who I went to college with and haven't seen in 15 years at that place.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I lived in Philly for four years

Philly fuckin sucks.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Sockser posted:

I lived in Philly for four years

Philly fuckin sucks.

Glad you’re gone

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
ey check out this jabroni not liking philly lol

e: story

When I first moved there in 2006, I would walk around my neighborhood to try to learn what was around me in the city. I lived at 21st and Sansom and was walking through Rittenhouse and south out of it onto 19th. Behind me, I heard screeching tires and police sirens. Seconds later, a car came screaming around the corner behind me, racing down 19th with a cop car right on his tail. There was a red traffic light ahead so he *pulled onto the gd sidewalk* to bypass the stopped cars at the intersection. A guy in front of me did a full-on action movie dive jump out of the way and faceplanted onto the sidewalk off to the side as the car rocketed past down the sidewalk. He was ALMOST hit. Milliseconds away. Dude just got up fully belly laughing about it. I asked if he was ok and he was. He could barely tell me he was ok through his laughter. The cop car scooted around the traffic in the intersection and continued the chase.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 6, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pepperoneedy posted:

He only rated Dalessandro's a 90 because they put subpar mushrooms on it

Who puts mushrooms on a steak? weak

I get my steak with wiz no onions and mushrooms. What's so bad about that?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I was back in town last weekend. I had a cheesesteak at Chickie and Pete's, Johnny Longhots, and Chicks Deli, all in Jersey.

I also had two Wawa breakfast sandwiches, some scrapple at a diner, a Primo hoagie, two six packs of Yards, several Yeunglings, and three Tasty Cakes.

We brought 15 pretzels back with us on the plane.

Also went to Craft Hall brewery, where all of my grown-up friends brought their young children to play on the playground and get tanked on beer. It was really bizarre that I saw two separate people who I went to college with and haven't seen in 15 years at that place.

Where were the pretzels from?

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/CUN0v20.gifv

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Where were the pretzels from?

There's a Pretzel Factory next to Chick's. They seem to have changed their recipe and have larger pretzels than the last time I was there.

I mean, they're fine. They're not the half stale ones my dad used to bring home in a brown paper bag when I was a kid, but they're fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I get my steak with wiz no onions and mushrooms. What's so bad about that?

I regret to inform you that this is how children and tourists order it. Perhaps you’d be happier in New Jersey where everyone’s pallet has been destroyed by Egg Salad and natural gas emulsions from all the landfills.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Catastrophe posted:

Man. Nodding Head has been gone for years. I remember they had this ridiculous 12% monster IPA called Hoptimus Prime that kind of tasted like teriyaki. Good times there, though.

RIPPERINO. I was/am good friends with a number of the servers there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

There's a Pretzel Factory next to Chick's. They seem to have changed their recipe and have larger pretzels than the last time I was there.

I mean, they're fine. They're not the half stale ones my dad used to bring home in a brown paper bag when I was a kid, but they're fine.

Yeah there's nothing in the world like a Philly pretzel you buy from a school or church or local sports team that takes a long time to chew each bite and you eat it with yellow packet mustard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I regret to inform you that this is how children and tourists order it. Perhaps you’d be happier in New Jersey where everyone’s pallet has been destroyed by Egg Salad and natural gas emulsions from all the landfills.

Which part do you object to: the wiz, the mushrooms, or the no onions? I'll definitely indulge in some extra onions and sharp provolone if a place actually has it. Also, why does no one ever tell a tourist to eat a pizza steak? I feel like they are entirely obscure for some reason.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Which part do you object to: the wiz, the mushrooms, or the no onions? I'll definitely indulge in some extra onions and sharp provolone if a place actually has it. Also, why does no one ever tell a tourist to eat a pizza steak? I feel like they are entirely obscure for some reason.

I understand that Philadelphia is not one Monomythic entity and that people are different but in the 11 years that I lived there I literally never saw a single native who ordered their steaks with Wiz and it was pretty commonly excepted that the only people who ever eat steaks with Wiz were tourists specifically going to Pats and Gino’s.

Onions and mushrooms I feel like is a personal thing because both of those have a distinct texture so there’s like a texture issue, I can completely understand not wanting to ruin your steak with either of those vegetables if you’re not into them. I’ll get onions and mushrooms on every single steak I ever order But if my cheesesteak comes with any kind of peppers on it I just can’t eat that poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I also used to be a snobby cheesesteak purist who looked down on wiz as codswallop for out of towners but I've mellowed over the last few years and I think it's perfectly alright. I know plenty of born and raised Philadelphians who are down with wiz. However you want to enjoy your giant grease sandwich, that's fine with me.*

*Except for green peppers. What the gently caress is up with the green peppers in a "Philly cheesesteak" you get elsewhere?? No one in actual Philadelphia puts green peppers on a loving cheesesteak it makes no goddamn sense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Also Pat's is a fine place where you can get a fishcake hot dog at 2 am.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Also Pat's is a fine place where you can get a fishcake hot dog at 2 am.

There are better places to eat at 2am though. Heck my local diner makes a cheesesteak that's just as good. But really you should be going to La Prima up the road a bit.

Pat's and Geno's exists as a test of ones talking skills: if you can't convince your group to go elsewhere you deserve to end up there because it's really a mediocre experience.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

You can get a good cheesesteak pretty much anywhere that isnt Pats or Gebos

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I try not to venture too far away from Arby's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Philadelphia's City Hall is the largest free standing masonry building in the World.

Now we're used to giant skyscrapers, massive edifices pointing towards the sky, but most of those are iron/steel structures inside with concrete outsides.

City Hall is literally just a pile of rocks on rocks. It's the greatest pile of rocks that humans have ever put together. Stonehenge is on one end of the spectrum, Philadelphia City Hall is on the other. They thought about demolishing it in the 50's but the cost was prohibitive. No humans have ever put so many rocks on top of other rocks. Not even in the last 120 years. Even if it was hit with a nuclear bomb, and people stopped existing, it would still be a big rocky hill thousands of years later.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 30, 2020