Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

The fact that the SC is taking on an Obamacare case in the fall is probably the worst thing that could for Trump's re-election short of a full-blown recession. Did the GOP not see how much healthcare drove people to the polls in 2018? And they are going to make it even more of an issue right around a presidential election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TyrantWD posted:

The fact that the SC is taking on an Obamacare case in the fall is probably the worst thing that could for Trump's re-election short of a full-blown recession. Did the GOP not see how much healthcare drove people to the polls in 2018? And they are going to make it even more of an issue right around a presidential election?

See but if Biden is the nominee it won't matter since he isn't looking to do anything with health care. :viggo:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Don't worry, guys! Missouri has tested nearly 17 people!

May we all look to this shining example of leadership in these trying times.

https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1235695701532782594?s=20

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Nearly 17 people! Wow!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Idk how many buildings are built intended to be unoccupied condos, but outside of a couple markets in the entire country that shouldn't be at all common. Apartment buildings (even smaller 10-30 unit ones) are popular because you can throw them up in any city in the country that isn't going through a huge contraction. Also it's probably good because apartment buildings as investment vehicles are very heavily dependent on maintaining certain tenancy rates for a bunch of reasons (eg valuation, paying down costs/mortgage, etc.). Plus the construction dumps a shitload of money into local economies and usually they're a form of high-density infill which is important as a means of reducing sprawl.

Apartments are a legal loop-hole for builders too. They make a dense multi-story building and run it as an apartment for 3-4 years. Then they convert it into a condo, form an association of owners and sell it off to them and walk away. Then all the shoddy work they did starts to break and the condo association (the people that own the condos) are on the hook for completely rebuilding the plumbing, wiring, etc. that failed. The builder has zero liability and runs away scott free. If the builder had started it as a condo in the first place they would have been on the hook for liability during the first few years, but starting as an apartment they owe nothing.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

It basically never left a few African countries (other than infected health care workers being brought back for treatment), so there was no disruption to most economies.

Yay an international crack-down!

Now? Not so much.

(Not doomsdaying, but the lack of an international crack-down stands, and is graphic in its lack of scope.)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Note Block posted:

Nearly 17 people! Wow!

How can it be nearly 17? Did they test 16.8 people or something

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

mod sassinator posted:

Ok, let's start by infecting this sick gently caress. And when his lungs start to fail to work under his own power and he has to be put on a ventilator, make sure that thing is coin operated and he has to throw a quarter in there every 30 minutes to keep breathing. I mean ventilators don't run for free and we gotta pay for these things somehow!

HAHA

You think...a quarter every minute is enought to pay off ventilation in a ICU.

Try several thousand dollars a day. Which is closer to 4-5 dollars a minute if not more.

And if he gets to ECMO...well those run 10 to 20k a day.

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare

OctaMurk posted:

One of them was pregnant. Fetuses are people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Testing CAN be done in Missouri!!!

IT'S A loving MIRACLE

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

My guess is 17 have been tested and only 15 have results or w/e and Parson (or staff) phrased that tweet awkwardly.

Also, this is uuuuuuh, Not Good

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-officials-say/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mod sassinator posted:

Apartments are a legal loop-hole for builders too. They make a dense multi-story building and run it as an apartment for 3-4 years. Then they convert it into a condo, form an association of owners and sell it off to them and walk away. Then all the shoddy work they did starts to break and the condo association (the people that own the condos) are on the hook for completely rebuilding the plumbing, wiring, etc. that failed. The builder has zero liability and runs away scott free. If the builder had started it as a condo in the first place they would have been on the hook for liability during the first few years, but starting as an apartment they owe nothing.

I'm curious if you have any info about what percentage of new construction this happens with because I suspect it is very low. Hell, I'd be very surprised if the market for condos even exists in most areas compared to how high the demand is for rental units. Similarly I'd love to know what percent of new apt construction is owned by the builder because that seems uh wildly improbable in most cases. From my time around that industry far and away the vast majority of new units were not builder owned as the margins on construction just aren't good enough to be self-building a significant amount of new construction.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

IT'S A loving MIRACLE

My favorite piece of civil war trivia is that Missouri bankrupted itself buying limb replacements for all their wounded returning soldiers.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Doctor Teeth posted:

My guess is 17 have been tested and only 15 have results or w/e and Parson (or staff) phrased that tweet awkwardly.

Also, this is uuuuuuh, Not Good

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-officials-say/

It's 0. On the scale of a whole state, 0 is nearly 17.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I'm curious if you have any info about what percentage of new construction this happens with because I suspect it is very low. Hell, I'd be very surprised if the market for condos even exists in most areas compared to how high the demand is for rental units. Similarly I'd love to know what percent of new apt construction is owned by the builder because that seems uh wildly improbable in most cases. From my time around that industry far and away the vast majority of new units were not builder owned as the margins on construction just aren't good enough to be self-building a significant amount of new construction.

i doubt this happens very often and it's just a doom and gloom goon story about how miserable everything is and how everyone is trying to rip you off all the time because this is hellworld. while there are ways to pass off shoddy construction this whole story kind of ignores the existence of building and home inspectors

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

In addition to its inherent ghoulishness, this is also the worst possible solution (assuming that a full outbreak is inevitable). You want to spread out the infection over as long a time frame as much as possible to minimize the stress on response systems. So why is this face on the television?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hate to say it but you can't use clips like this as evidence to sway anyone as to whether Trump is demented or not. If you're invested in having him be a competent and powerful speaker, then it's easy to understand the structure of what he's saying, and to convince yourself that he's saying something internally consistent and believable.

It's of course true that he's bullshitting, because he doesn't have the slightest idea what is in health care other than that he can sort of understand it in terms of a thing he can blame on Obama if people don't like parts of it and also take credit for "running it well" even if it's fatally flawed because that's "the right thing to do". It's true that he's filling dead air with meaningless shoutouts to supporters and bleating about political wins. It's also true that he's doing all that bullshitting in a successful attempt to avoid saying anything substantive in 2-3 minutes' worth of babbling and yet have it sound like he's being decisive and honorable and popular. He's saying nothing of any meaning, clearly, and he's transparently a venal and incurious charlatan who doesn't give the slightest poo poo about anything but ratings and applause, but he's not being incoherent. And (as I have since like election day) I feel like making too much of the "his brain is mush" meme is never going to do anything but fall flat and sound deluded to anybody's ears who isn't already convinced of it.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

https://twitter.com/pesachlattin/status/1235729100326633472?s=21
:stare:

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

16 people. And a stray cat who just wouldn’t stop knocking poo poo off the table.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RedFlag posted:

In addition to its inherent ghoulishness, this is also the worst possible solution (assuming that a full outbreak is inevitable). You want to spread out the infection over as long a time frame as much as possible to minimize the stress on response systems. So why is this face on the television?

Because clearly coronavirus shares the most characteristic features of chicken pox, a) you only get it once in your life, b) it's better to get it as a kid

Therefore give it to all adults right now!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there video of this? It almost looks like aluminum foil.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wait till they roll out a vaccine and like 23% of the country refuses to get it because autism and you can't sue pharmaceuticals and the earth may not be flat but I really don't know the shape I'm just curious and asking questions and why don't my kids call me anymore?

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is there video of this? It almost looks like aluminum foil.

https://twitter.com/richardhine/status/1235732149090713600?s=21

Did a little more digging. Could be foil. But foil isn’t typically folded in up against the scalp.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

riseofmydick posted:

HAHA

Try several thousand dollars a day. Which is closer to 4-5 dollars a minute if not more.

Yeah. An icu stay requiring mechanical ventilation, pressors, heaven forbid ecmo.. easily runs $200-700,000. A typical heart transplant costs about 1.5 million.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He probably burned his scalp ironing his hair down earlier and it’s just falling off in sheets.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Data Graham posted:

IT'S A loving MIRACLE

Can't it only be done in the Capitol or something?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Judge cites Barr’s ‘misleading’ statements in ordering review of Mueller report redactions
washingtonpost.com/March 5, 2020
"A federal judge in D.C. sharply criticized Attorney General William P. Barr on Thursday for a “lack of candor,” questioning the truthfulness of the nation’s top law enforcement official in his handling of last year’s report by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

U.S. District Court Judge Reggie Walton, overseeing a lawsuit brought by EPIC, a watchdog group, and BuzzFeed News, said he saw serious discrepancies between Barr’s public statements about Mueller’s findings and the public, partially redacted version of that report detailing the special counsel’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Because of those discrepancies, Walton ruled, the judge would conduct an independent review of Mueller’s full report to see if the Justice Department’s redactions were appropriate.

“In the Court’s view, Attorney General Barr’s representation that the Mueller Report would be ‘subject only to those redactions required by law or by compelling law enforcement, national security, or personal privacy interests’ cannot be credited without the Court’s independent verification in light of Attorney General Barr’s conduct and misleading public statements about the findings in the Mueller Report,” Walton wrote.'

Why Do Such Elderly People Run America?
theatlantic.com/6:00 AM ET
"Sanders is too old. So is Biden. Trump too."
"When Joe Biden climbed to the stage in California to celebrate his Super Tuesday comeback in the Democratic primary, three things happened in a matter of minutes. He basked in the thunderous applause from the crowd. He mistook his wife for his sister. And he delivered the sort of confusing, intermittently slurry, and occasionally indecipherable oration that has defined so many of his recent public appearances.
One might expect a typical opponent to seize on these verbal slips by questioning whether Biden, who is 77, is too old to hack it. But his rival Bernie Sanders, who has already suffered a heart attack during this campaign, is a year older. In January 2021, the three people most likely to be the next president—Biden, Sanders, and the incumbent, Donald Trump—would each be the oldest president to ever give an inaugural address in American history.

We have now before us three candidates divided by ideology, but united in dotage. All three white men were born in the 1940s, before the invention of Velcro and the independence of India and Israel. Amazingly, each is currently older than any of the past three U.S. presidents. If, through some constitutional glitch, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, or Barack Obama jumped into the 2020 race at this very moment, each would suddenly become the youngest man in the contest.

How did this happen?"

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dominates in abortion case
cnn.com/March 5, 2020
"If there is any question whether 86-year-old Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who has spent her life steeped in issues concerning women's rights, is slowing down after four bouts of cancer, it was not evident Wednesday morning in Washington.

For over an hour, Ginsburg, the leading liberal on the bench, engaged in a high stakes constitutional version of whack-a-mole, taking down arguments put forward by supporters of a Louisiana abortion access law that requires doctors to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

As lawyers for the state and the Trump administration urged the justices to greenlight the law, arguing it is necessary to protect public safety, Ginsburg worked to dismantle each of their arguments one by one. At times, she even went after her own conservative colleagues.

Supreme Court appears split after hearing first major abortion case with strong conservative majority
cnn.com/March 4, 2020

A Warning From a Scientist Who Saw the Coronavirus Coming
slate.com/March 05, 2020
'Mary Harris: Tens of thousands of people have been diagnosed with this disease worldwide, with more than 3,000 deaths. Yet there have been few deaths in the U.S. so far. Do we actually know how many cases are stateside? It’s been reported that we’re not testing that much, but that might change soon.

Peter Daszak: In most outbreaks, you never really know when it begins, what the true caseload is, what the environment is. All you can see are the people who come to the hospital and get tested and diagnosed. You don’t see people with mild infections, or people who are pretty sick in poor communities and just don’t make it, or people in communities that have trouble traveling.

When people start rolling out those test kits, we’re going to find a lot of cases in the U.S. and it’s going to look like this is spreading out of control. The truth is: It’s probably already been there, probably, and we’re now finding that out.'

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

mistressminako posted:

Did a little more digging. Could be foil. But foil isn’t typically folded in up against the scalp.

Isn't it just his white roots slicked back? It's only showing because the dyed slicked back hair isn't perfectly covering the side of his head.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

It's a well known issue in Seattle and the PNW with big building booms right now: https://www.sightline.org/2017/08/14/why-seattle-builds-apartments-but-vancouver-bc-builds-condos/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

riseofmydick posted:

HAHA

I am perfectly ok with forcing that guy to have to jam $4 in bills into the machine every 30 minutes to keep breathing. We'll make sure it's an old 80's vintage dollar reader that spits out 40% of the bills too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

It's a well known issue in Seattle and the PNW with big building booms right now: https://www.sightline.org/2017/08/14/why-seattle-builds-apartments-but-vancouver-bc-builds-condos/

I don't claim to have any idea what is going on with the canadian housing market, that poo poo is bonkers in BC. Re the US side of it, I'm mostly questioning the convergence of the two things that guy brought up, though I think he might have meant that the people behind the projects and not the builders themselves as that would make some more sense.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RedFlag posted:

Given the mortality rate breakdown on COVID by age, we could swing the electorate left in one go.

The hardest choices require the strongest wills.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CmdrRiker posted:

Isn't it just his white roots slicked back? It's only showing because the dyed slicked back hair isn't perfectly covering the side of his head.

"Back and to the Left"

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

CmdrRiker posted:

Might be his Darth Vader scalp

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mistressminako posted:

It kind of just looks like his colored highlights pushed away from the white hair underneath, like that poster above mentions.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Um builders don't own buildings usually in 99% of the cases. Building companies exist mostly just to build things. Real Estate companies exist to own things. Mixing the two is not usually very common. It's not a good idea because they are very different types of companies.

Here's a report on national apartment growth in 2019.

https://docdro.id/76ZVSio

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Stolen overwhelming brutal otter attack tax:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trav...?outputType=amp

Have you updated the log of births and deaths?

Whoops that was for cspam

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 6, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

OctaMurk posted:

Well I believe Pence is a Constitutional originalist, and as we all know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

riseofmydick posted:

Um builders don't own buildings usually in 99% of the cases. Building companies exist mostly just to build things. Real Estate companies exist to own things. Mixing the two is not usually very common. It's not a good idea because they are very different types of companies.

Here's a report on national apartment growth in 2019.

https://docdro.id/76ZVSio

Yes I'm aware, that's why I was specifically asking him for some evidence of that quite extraordinary claim