Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dHH3V1sYUw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Don’t loving say it’s like digging an infinite number of holes, I know it’s mathematically true but no one who has dug both would ever say that with a straight face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zKNIveuCxM

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s just one hole but you dig it sideways

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

This is the setup i used to run

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dig two holes.

put a steel pole in each hole.

run the cable up the pole, down the other pole, into the caravan.

this ticks all the boxes (digging holes, giving weeb the internet)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
At the farm we kept getting more satellite plans cause theres no such thing as unlimited satellite data (at the time). Basically everyone needs their own dish or two

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Lay the cable on the ground and then cover it up with a mound of dirt. Same effect as digging a trench really, but without the digging. Kind of like a reverse trench, if you will

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Visible Stink posted:

Lay the cable on the ground and then cover it up with a mound of dirt. Same effect as digging a trench really, but without the digging. Kind of like a reverse trench, if you will

:2bong: But how do you get a mound of dirt without digging a hole

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Isaac posted:

At the farm we kept getting more satellite plans cause theres no such thing as unlimited satellite data (at the time). Basically everyone needs their own dish or two

The satellite dishes look like rayguns.

Ive got a pot plant python.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Isaac posted:

I dunno, I’m really more of an ideas guy. Maybe repurpose the dirt from other, unrelated holes?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the pole strategy also checks the final box of an excuse to visit the hardware store so perhaps it is best.

we really are proving the point about the best way to get help online is to say something is impossible

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Don't think of it as a trench, think of it as a grave for the rainbow serpent.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

tardwrangler posted:

The satellite dishes look like rayguns.

Ive got a pot plant python.

gently caress yeah.

Why is there a snake in the pot?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Isaac posted:

if I dig a series of discrete holes, and then put the resultant dirt from that on top of the cable, I can achieve the same effect as a trench without ever digging one. I'm think we found a winner boys.

well why not posted:

It’s just one hole but you dig it sideways

this is hosed and I wish I had plat so I could report you for it.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Blow posted:

gently caress yeah.

Why is there a snake in the pot?

digesting the rat from the pantry with a bit of luck

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its about time the snakes earned their keep

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My backyards full of mouse sounds at night I need a garden python

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Laserface posted:

yo you absolutely do not need to find enterprise IT stuff to have decent wifi at home nor do you need openWRT so please ignore this ridiculous advice.

source: I am an Enterprise IT person.

This guy right here. Of cause you don't need an AP, you don't need a fancy new phone or wide screen TV either yet you buy those things because they are nice to have. Sounds like you've been an enterprise IT person for all of 5 minutes.

Nobody is saying to go buy an enterprise-grade AP instead of whatever you can buy normally. What I am saying though is if you can get one, say because they are turfing them out after decommisson or selling them cheaply to a recycler anyway, its worth seeing if it'll support OpenWRT and using it at home for yourself.

In any not-shithole area your 2.5GHz spectrum is probably saturated with your neighbours existing Wi-Fi routers. Having just about free reign on 5GHz is a godsend especially when you can get it for practically free.

Severing fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 6, 2020

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've got a ruckus zoneflex p300 doing my home wifi, it's pretty good works about 150m down the street. gently caress my neighbours wifi.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

How much internet do you nerds need.

Anyway hire a dingo with a trencher, that way you don't need to dig any holes cos the machine does the hard work for you.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Severing posted:

In any not-shithole area your 2.5GHz spectrum is probably saturated with your neighbours existing Wi-Fi routers.

I agree with this post that all cities and suburbs are shitholes

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I agree with this post that all cities and suburbs are shitholes

The shitholes are actually probably worse for it to be honest.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I don’t think my old oval office neighbour even has wired internet tbh. Lots of old folks I know hosed off their landline when the phone lines switched to nbn bc it was too much hassle to set up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Severing posted:

This guy right here. Of cause you don't need an AP, you don't need a fancy new phone or wide screen TV either yet you buy those things because they are nice to have. Sounds like you've been an enterprise IT person for all of 5 minutes.

Nobody is saying to go buy an enterprise-grade AP instead of whatever you can buy normally. What I am saying though is if you can get one, say because they are turfing them out after decommisson or selling them cheaply to a recycler anyway, its worth seeing if it'll support OpenWRT and using it at home for yourself.

In any not-shithole area your 2.5GHz spectrum is probably saturated with your neighbours existing Wi-Fi routers. Having just about free reign on 5GHz is a godsend especially when you can get it for practically free.

No but a nice tv or phone has an immediate and tangible benefit over a cheaper one to the consumer. Enterprise Wifi does not and adds complexity.

Every slightly good router on the market these days supports 5ghz what the gently caress drugs are you smoking (Probably none). I got my first dual band router in 2011. My current one is 5 years old and does smart band selection and it's by no means a special router.

No one in this thread needs enterprise gear, free or not, nor do they need openWRT. Terrible goony advice direct from SH/SC. Bravo.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Laserface posted:

No but a nice tv or phone has an immediate and tangible benefit over a cheaper one to the consumer. Enterprise Wifi does not and adds complexity.

Every slightly good router on the market these days supports 5ghz what the gently caress drugs are you smoking (Probably none). I got my first dual band router in 2011. My current one is 5 years old and does smart band selection and it's by no means a special router.

No one in this thread needs enterprise gear, free or not, nor do they need openWRT. Terrible goony advice direct from SH/SC. Bravo.

Free gear is terrible advice and has no tangible benefit, nice one.

For someone claiming to be from "enterprise IT" you sure seem upset about flashing OpenWRT onto something.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

AusGBS: Come for the drug chat, stay for the home networking slapfights

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Maybe afterwards they can yell about which magic card game is best.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

ili posted:

I prefer Yu-Gi-Oh! thank you very much.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Mate at my work can't stop talking about magic the gathering if anything card related is mentioned.

It's a 30 -50 something female dominated field

It's :thonk:

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

There is an MtG MMORPG of some kind coming out eventually I believe.

This may be bad advice though.

Severing fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 6, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Severing posted:

There is an MtG MMORPG of some kind coming out eventually I believe.

This may be bad advice though.

He has been talking about cashing out for the last 4 years that I've known him

It seriously sounds like an addict trying to quit

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Jestery posted:

He has been talking about cashing out for the last 4 years that I've known him

It seriously sounds like an addict trying to quit

For the guys I know that play it and 40K too, yeah that's about right.

One mate of mine has his entire garage decked out with bookshelves full of 40K models most of which he's never going to get around to painting.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Severing posted:

Free gear is terrible advice and has no tangible benefit, nice one.

For someone claiming to be from "enterprise IT" you sure seem upset about flashing OpenWRT onto something.

Because it's totally unnecessary for a home user.

We use Cisco gear at most of our depots for wireless, which if I got for free I most certainly would not want in my fuckin house.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My older brother is getting into 40k at an alarming rate. Tbh i kinda wanna play some Magic though because it was fun as a kid and it looks like its mechanics have gotten more interesting with stronger creatures. There's a nice game shop down the road.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ili posted:

Commanders is the best, dont @ me (bc you can’t do that here)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Coming in with another hot take: Merle haggards version of Folsom prison blues is better than Johnny cash’s

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The true CCNA answer is just to :sever:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Coming in with another hot take: Merle haggards version of Folsom prison blues is better than Johnny cash’s

Mate a good troll should be remotely believable.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

A mate of mine has been getting into 40k lately after doing it as a teenager. He doesn’t play the game though, he just likes painting the little men to look as cool as possible to display on his nerd shelf, which I think is probably the most sane way to go about 40k if you’re going to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ili posted:

Mate a good troll should be remotely believable.

It’s p much the same song but with a more ripping guitar solo, it’s real good I’ll find a YouTube link if you haven’t heard it