Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Len posted:

Goons also have a conspiracy theory that From Dusk Till Dawn was supposed to be a heist movie until a shocking twist Midway through reveals vampires but it was ruined by marketing.

They can never cite a source on that though, unlike Terminator 2 where they can cite a source saying Arnold as a good guy was supposed to be a twist that was ruined by marketing

I never heard the first one but that sounds far-fetched, yeah. The company had to know they needed to give it away a bit. I feel like if I didn't know loosely from trailers what FDtD was I would have walked the hell out of the theater. It was at the height of Tarantino fever and that's a huge shift in quality/tone if you're not down to enjoy some stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The T2 spoiler talk got me thinking about Terminator Genisys, or however the gently caress you spell it. It wasn't good, but at the very least, they could have NOT shown John Connor being basically a T1000 in the loving trailer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

They can never cite a source on that though, unlike Terminator 2 where they can cite a source saying Arnold as a good guy was supposed to be a twist that was ruined by marketing
This pops up every now and then, but I only recently learned that David Foster Wallace, of all people, wrote a lengthy (duh) essay on Terminator 2 where he goes right into how everybody knew and treats it as completely matter-of-fact.

quote:

The studio backing for "T2'''s wildly sophisticated and digital F/X therefore depends on Mr. Arnold Schwarzenegger agreeing to reprise his Terminator role. Now the ironies start to stack, though, because it turns out that Schwarzenegger -- or perhaps more accurately "Schwarzenegger, Inc.," or "Ahnodyne" -- has decided that playing any more malevolent cyborgs would compromise the Leading Man image his elite and bankable record of ROI entails. He will do the film only if "T2"'s script is somehow engineered to make the Terminator the Good Guy. Not only is this vain and stupid and shockingly ungrateful, it is also common popular knowledge, duly reported in both the trade and the popular entertainment media before "T2" even goes into production. There's consequently a weird postmodern tension to the way we watch the film; we're aware of what the bankable star's demands were, and we're also aware of how much the movie cost and how important bankable stars are to a big-budget movie; and so one of the few things that keeps us on the edge of our seats during the movie is our suspense about whether James Cameron can possibly weave a plausible, non-cheesy narrative that meets Schwarzenegger's career needs without betraying "T1"'s precedent.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What seems obvious to movie industry insiders and what seems obvious to the general public are two different things.

For example, the former keep giving awards to Roman Polanski

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

RandomFerret posted:

What seems obvious to movie industry insiders and what seems obvious to the general public are two different things.

For example, the former keep giving awards to Roman Polanski

"#1 Tween Sodomist" engraved on a tiny trophy.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i remember stumbling on from dusk till dawn on tv as a kid and my hair was blown the gently caress back by the twist. that twist was badass and really something special to genuinely experience

also remember being dragged to see cast away and even as a kid, thinking everyone was dumb and that this was a waste of time when we had all seen the trailer and knew he gets off the island

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

God Hole posted:

i remember stumbling on from dusk till dawn on tv as a kid and my hair was blown the gently caress back by the twist. that twist was badass and really something special to genuinely experience

also remember being dragged to see cast away and even as a kid, thinking everyone was dumb and that this was a waste of time when we had all seen the trailer and knew he gets off the island

I have a Plex server with all my DVDs and Blu Rays ripped on it, and I change the descriptions to movies like From Dusk Til Dawn, Cabin in the Woods, and others to make sure that anyone who hasn't seen them isn't spoiled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

God Hole posted:

I think this is an important thing to remember, that movies have a life long after the marketing and theatrical run is over. So a great twist can still be great regardless of marketing because some kid is gonna come along ten years later and watch the movie on t.v. without knowing what's gonna happen.

With T2 it was just such a monster hit that you kinda figure it's made it into the public consciousness just by osmosis, people don't actually need to have seen it to know that Arnold is a good guy. But if I was showing a kid Terminator 1 and 2 for the first time, I'd be grateful to Cameron for crafting the movie the way he did because it's a great extra bonus if you're in the rare position to actually see the movie blind.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MichiganCubbie posted:

I have a Plex server with all my DVDs and Blu Rays ripped on it, and I change the descriptions to movies like From Dusk Til Dawn, Cabin in the Woods, and others to make sure that anyone who hasn't seen them isn't spoiled.

For a second I thought you meant swapping the info of both those movies and that'd be a good gag.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

God Hole posted:

MichiganCubbie posted:

There is no twist in FDTD though?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

There is no twist in FDTD though?

If you haven’t seen it and don’t notice the ominous box cover?

People say Dark City is a good twist if you watch the right version or skip a sequence at the very beginning of the wrong one but never bothered to rewatch to see why.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dark City isn't a twist but the first part of the movie is set up like a mystery and then they added a voiceover intro saying "okay folks so he's the deal"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

People say Dark City is a good twist if you watch the right version or skip a sequence at the very beginning of the wrong one but never bothered to rewatch to see why.

It's because the original opener has a monologue that explains the entire plot of the movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So you mean "if you lived in a bubble and missed everything about this at all"? Because that's not really a twist.

That would be like saying Godzilla is a twist if you know nothing about it because HOLY poo poo A GIANT MONSTER

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think "Godzilla is a big monster" has a bit more cultural penetration than "From Dusk Till Dawn has vampires show up halfway through."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cranston Godzilla does have exactly that twist.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

So you mean "if you lived in a bubble and missed everything about this at all"? Because that's not really a twist.

That would be like saying Godzilla is a twist if you know nothing about it because HOLY poo poo A GIANT MONSTER

I’m one of the people who heard “Quentin Tarantino” in a movie and went to see it. Thought it was a crime movie like Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction until all of a sudden vampires.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Aphrodite posted:

Cranston Godzilla does have exactly that twist.

Which would have worked except they called the movie Godzilla

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I’m one of the people who heard “Quentin Tarantino” in a movie and went to see it. Thought it was a crime movie like Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction until all of a sudden vampires.

Did you not see any of the marketing? That clearly advertised it and let you know what it was? And like I stated earlier in this thread goons have never been able to provide a source from Robert Rodriguez or Tarantino that the vampires were supposed to be a secret twist.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think "Godzilla is a big monster" has a bit more cultural penetration than "From Dusk Till Dawn has vampires show up halfway through."

It has enough of one that the psx survival horror game Countdown Vampires gave the main character the same tattoo Cloony had.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not that, it's that the monster that appears at the beginning is not actually Godzilla.

Godzilla is entirely the good guy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Aphrodite posted:

It's not that, it's that the monster that appears at the beginning is not actually Godzilla.

Godzilla is entirely the good guy.

No poo poo? Didn’t they do that in a few of the Japanese films too?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

beanieson posted:

No poo poo? Didn’t they do that in a few of the Japanese films too?

Yes. In Japan.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

Did you not see any of the marketing? That clearly advertised it and let you know what it was? And like I stated earlier in this thread goons have never been able to provide a source from Robert Rodriguez or Tarantino that the vampires were supposed to be a secret twist.

I think that was implied :colbert:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Len posted:

It has enough of one that the psx survival horror game Countdown Vampires gave the main character the same tattoo Cloony had.

its not that its a secret twist. its that tarantino does an extremely good job of making you forget its a vampire movie until vampires show up

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Len posted:

Did you not see any of the marketing?

Did you know that people who aren't you can have a totally different set of experiences than you and therefore have different knowledge sets and draw different conclusions?

I mean your weirdly solipsistic arguments notwithstanding maybe you should perhaps look into Theory of Mind before you start anthropologically analyzing cultural phenomena with a sample size of one.

I mean, uh. From Dusk 'til Dawn looked and is presented by its own text as a fairly straightforwardly Tarantino crime flick so if you didn't have it spoiled before you bought a ticket to see it with the money you made from your job back then, it might maybe make sense that the Robert Rodriguez half of the film could come as a bit of a surprise. That's subtle, right?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

If you saw this poster, and it was your entire exposure to the movie's promotional material, you could really easily not realise it's a vampire movie. You know Rodriguez from El Mariachi and Desparado, you know Tarantino from Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, OK there's bats on the poster, but there's no clues in the back catalogue of either of those dudes to say that this movie is going to go insane vampire bloodbath in the middle.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was full on Tarantino fanboy when Dusk Til Dawn came out and I didn't know there were going to be vampires.

There was an internet to spoil it, but I must not have dialed up and visited Ain't it Cool News before calling Moviefone and getting the 411 on showtimes to the General Cinema.

poo poo, AICN is still around.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Casnorf posted:

Did you know that people who aren't you can have a totally different set of experiences than you and therefore have different knowledge sets and draw different conclusions?

I mean your weirdly solipsistic arguments notwithstanding maybe you should perhaps look into Theory of Mind before you start anthropologically analyzing cultural phenomena with a sample size of one.

I mean, uh. From Dusk 'til Dawn looked and is presented by its own text as a fairly straightforwardly Tarantino crime flick so if you didn't have it spoiled before you bought a ticket to see it with the money you made from your job back then, it might maybe make sense that the Robert Rodriguez half of the film could come as a bit of a surprise. That's subtle, right?

Did you know goons have this view that the twist was spoiled by the marketing but have never been able to provide anything stating there was actually supposed to be a twist? Because that's a thing that goons believe.

There's actual cited evidence from James Cameron that T2 having Arnold as the good guy was supposed to be a surprise.

But per my original post that started this derail goons believe it's a shocking twist movie but at no point was that actually supposed to be a thing

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
But if you don’t look up the marketing materials and buzz for this 20 year old movie before catching it on tv, it can be surprising due to the way it was set up.

Which was their point.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Memento posted:

If you saw this poster, and it was your entire exposure to the movie's promotional material, you could really easily not realise it's a vampire movie. You know Rodriguez from El Mariachi and Desparado, you know Tarantino from Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, OK there's bats on the poster, but there's no clues in the back catalogue of either of those dudes to say that this movie is going to go insane vampire bloodbath in the middle.

I could've sworn the original trailer didn't spoil the vampire twist but I just watched it on YouTube and it's right there. I guess I missed the trailer when it first came out because I was blown away by the reveal.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Len posted:

Did you know goons have this view that the twist was spoiled by the marketing but have never been able to provide anything stating there was actually supposed to be a twist? Because that's a thing that goons believe.

There's actual cited evidence from James Cameron that T2 having Arnold as the good guy was supposed to be a surprise.

But per my original post that started this derail goons believe it's a shocking twist movie but at no point was that actually supposed to be a thing

I do not believe the word "twist" or "subtle" mean what you think they mean. I mean, it's almost as if different experiences of the same events can be interpreted differently by different people with different frames of reference!

You're getting hung up on authorial intent but in this case intent is largely irrelevant because expectation subversion and information recontextualization are necessarily subjective, and given the human perception that there are no privileged frames of reference you can write even the most obvious plot and someone, probably in this thread, will have their mind blown and rave about how easily missed it is.

I bet if you yourself were more farsighted, you'd envy their experience rather than decrying their enjoyment. It's almost as if you feel some emotional need to put others down to feel as though you have anything to contribute at all. I am of course concerned for this observed behavior, as I personally would rather this thread maintain its generally positive outlook and enthusiasm for effort put into the entertainment we all so enjoy. Well, most of us, anyway.

I was watching Into The Spider-Verse with a friend who hadn't seen it yet, and afterward we talked about the emotions it evoked and their relationship to them. In the process I mentioned the idea that Peter B is the Sam Raimi Spider-Man, and they laughed and said they'd picked up on that from almost his first scene. I was flabbergasted, because I'd only worked it out with help and deduction, and they said, "Oh, yeah: when he first glitches on-screen, for a frame or two his face is replaced with Tobey Maguire's." I have to admit, I've seen the movie a half dozen times and I never noticed that. Y'never know what people'll pick up on and what they'll miss.

[edit: how could I miss that apostrophe! Real subtle, that one.]

Casnorf has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Mar 6, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Len posted:

Oh well, in that case it's clearly a major part of the modern cultural zeitgeist.

Out of curiosity how popular do you think From Dusk Till Dawn is? Like, do you think if you went up to a person on the street and asked them, they would know? I feel like there's probably a lot of people who just caught it on TV or in another era rented it because they saw the VHS box and probably aren't familiar with the marketing materials from 24 years ago.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Every person I've ever had recommend that movie to me irl goes "Len have you seen this crazy rear end vampire movie?" Down to the person who showed it to us as 16 year olds. Ive only treated like some secret twist on these forums and the argument. And I'm only familiar with the marketing of a movie that came out when I was 6 because I've tried to look up if the vampires were supposed to be secret or not quite a few times and haven't turned up anything.

Edit: also popular enough to get a TV show remake and multiple movies

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

christ, do we really have to go through this entire thing every single time From Dusk til Dawn is mentioned in this thread?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tom Cruise was selected as the lead for Top Gun due to unique characteristics he shared with Navy pilots. Namely that he’s short as hell, eats crayons, and is illiterate. What is not generally know is that these qualities are unique to Marine pilots and no one noticed the mistake until production had already started. By then it was too costly to make the needed changes and the movie moved forward as originally planned.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Warbird posted:

Tom Cruise was selected as the lead for Top Gun due to unique characteristics he shared with Navy pilots. Namely that he’s short as hell, eats crayons, and is illiterate. What is not generally know is that these qualities are unique to Marine pilots and no one noticed the mistake until production had already started. By then it was too costly to make the needed changes and the movie moved forward as originally planned.

Are marine pilots also really comfortable with innuendo? I’m watching the documentary (yes I know it isn’t) Generation Kill and those marines can take or leave it. Although it’s set two decades later.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the entirety of From Dusk Till Dawn was a con on Salma Hayek to get her to let Tarantino lick tequila off her toes

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krankenstyle posted:

the entirety of From Dusk Till Dawn was a con on Salma Hayek to get her to let Tarantino lick tequila off her toes

oh gently caress I forgot all about that scene

knowing what we know now that's naaaaaaaasty

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
loving eats crayons. I couldn’t even read past that. LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

Every person I've ever had recommend that movie to me irl goes "Len have you seen this crazy rear end vampire movie?" Down to the person who showed it to us as 16 year olds. Ive only treated like some secret twist on these forums and the argument. And I'm only familiar with the marketing of a movie that came out when I was 6 because I've tried to look up if the vampires were supposed to be secret or not quite a few times and haven't turned up anything.

Edit: also popular enough to get a TV show remake and multiple movies

Dude, people said they didn't know and were surprised. How are you arguing that other people's literal life experiences didn't loving happen?