Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeast Confection posted:

Sold and dumped it all into XBAL. See you in 10 years :toot:

It's in a registered account right (RRSP or TFSA)? Just checking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
It's a Questrade TFSA.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Thinking about investing my entire RRSP into crypto mining / capital stocks.

So far my primary choices are

HUT8 ~100M mcap - partnership with Bitfury (ASIC manufacturer), local Alberta operations, Bitcoin mining only

Hive Blockchain ~90M mcap - has GPU and ASIC mining operations setup in Sweden and Finland, expanding to Norway, cheap hydroelectric, mining Bitcoin and good altcoins like Ethereum

Ether Capital ~6M mcap - not a mining operation, holds ETH MKR and a stake in a crypto exchange called Wyre, this is the only option I've found for exposure to DeFi with MakerDAO

Ethereum Grayscale Trust - basically just holding ETH (boring)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
That sounds like a terrible idea, friend.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ghosTTy posted:

HUT8 ~100M mcap - partnership with Bitfury (ASIC manufacturer), local Alberta operations, Bitcoin mining only

Hive Blockchain ~90M mcap - has GPU and ASIC mining operations setup in Sweden and Finland, expanding to Norway, cheap hydroelectric, mining Bitcoin and good altcoins like Ethereum

Ether Capital ~6M mcap - not a mining operation, holds ETH MKR and a stake in a crypto exchange called Wyre, this is the only option I've found for exposure to DeFi with MakerDAO

:munch:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I love how this, of all threads, is one you apparently read.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
10 pages and further post history of online posts in exclusively bitcoin adjacent threads, my god, it's a live one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I love how this, of all threads, is one you apparently read.

I would love to take credit, but Someone linked in the other BFC thread just now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ghosTTy posted:

Invest in POGs, they are poised to rebound any day now

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I hear cruise ship and airline stocks are a great deal right now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SPY puts are on sale!

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khegBiClioY

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I would love to take credit, but Someone linked in the other BFC thread just now.

LOL I was going to ask what kind of masochism you're into that would have you willingly reading this thread otherwise.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

Nobody here is going to say this is a good idea.

If you're going to invest in something as absurdly volatile as crypto (or even single stocks), it shouldn't be in a registered account where you could lose contribution room forever, it shouldn't be with long-term retirement savings, and it shouldn't be with more than, like, 1-2% of your portfolio.

edit: and in case you're just the canadian version of :zaurg:, it obviously also shouldn't be on credit

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

CRISPYBABY posted:

10 pages and further post history of online posts in exclusively bitcoin adjacent threads, my god, it's a live one.

Absolutely. There were more than a few true believers that disappeared the moment that market crashed from its $20k high, but he's still around.

I'll also never get over, "Bitcoin is crashing! SELL SELL SELL!" that worked all those years ago.

Square Peg posted:

Nobody here is going to say this is a good idea.

If you're going to invest in something as absurdly volatile as crypto (or even single stocks), it shouldn't be in a registered account where you could lose contribution room forever, it shouldn't be with long-term retirement savings, and it shouldn't be with more than, like, 1-2% of your portfolio.

edit: and in case you're just the canadian version of :zaurg:, it obviously also shouldn't be on credit

The only actual advice with cryptocurrency I can give (other than don't touch it as more than a curiousity like you said), is to pay your taxes on it.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

let's go

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
:brainworms: as an investment strategy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Literal penny stocks but Bitcoin instead of of the traditional energy/mining/biotech

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

let's go

Lmao

Well, keep us updated I guess!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

Literal penny stocks but Bitcoin instead of of the traditional energy/mining/biotech

are crypto flow-throughs a thing yet?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Possibly going to happen, or trying to do a raise with debt backed by crypto holdings.

I really want to peek into the future and see whether this portfolio beats Hal’s legendary portfolio

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is the last place I expected to find ghosTTy because we often agree a lot in the bitcoin gbs thread. However, I do not agree here.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Time to cash in on my RRSP, I hope I still remember my seed phrase!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ghosTTy posted:

let's go

FYI: I'm going to post this to /r/wallstreetbets, because that's the only place something this breathtakingly idiotic deserves to be featured.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Just looking up some of those symbols and the S&P is down 6% but that portfolio already lost about 20% since those purchases so mission accomplished.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Couldn't resist building the crypto portfolio to model actual losses:

$14,000 down the drain in two days, impressive!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rime posted:

FYI: I'm going to post this to /r/wallstreetbets, because that's the only place something this breathtakingly idiotic deserves to be featured.

Link plz.

I've got a fair size of cash sitting in savings right now I was going to use for house renovations this spring/summer, but I'm tempted to just push it all into retirement savings instead.

Maybe I'll split the difference.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Less Fat Luke posted:

Couldn't resist building the crypto portfolio to model actual losses:

$14,000 down the drain in two days, impressive!

If they're unrealized losses then I don't need to realize them!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Weeee!

I have a chunk of cash sitting in reserves and seriously toying with dumping most of it into my investment account.

e: Not crypto

ee: XGRO is down 5.1% today, most other things I have are 8-9%. I am quite glad I heavily moved a lot of stuff to XGRO the past couple months.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 9, 2020

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Hey screw the risk adverse haters, you gotta YOLO sometimes. Risk management? Psh, for suckers that pay taxes

xtal posted:

If they're unrealized losses then I don't need to realize them!

Ah yes, it’s not a loss until you sell :golfclap:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Or the underlying security goes to zero and gets delisted :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I used this loss position as an opportunity to consolidate a two equity fund setup (VCN and VXC) with one (VEQT).

Maybe spreadsheets really are programming. Deleting 90% of this spreadsheet felt as good as deleting 90% of a file's code. Rest in peace you optimal lazy rebalancing formulae!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Maybe spreadsheets really are programming. Deleting 90% of this spreadsheet felt as good as deleting 90% of a file's code. Rest in peace you optimal lazy rebalancing formulae!

:cheers:

I had VAB/VCN/XIC/VUN/VXC/XEF/XEC across six accounts at one point, and boiling it down to 85% XGRO made life so much simpler. I still have some VXC in an open account I'm winding down, plus some VAB to stay at at my allocations so it'll be another couple years before I'm 100% XGRO. Once I am though... :getin:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I will go check myself, but does anyone know how much of what CNR's business is Canadian oil? This current dip plus the blockade effects has the share price looking attractive. And it'll probably drop more once they add up how much the blockade business cost them.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Did I gently caress up my Norberts gambit? I have an unregistered USD account and an unregistered CAD account. In the USD account I bought DLR.U. Now, it seems like the best thing I can do is wait for it to settle, do a securities transfer to DLR, then sell the DLR. Was this correct? I seem to be susceptible to a changing conversion rate now, instead of being locked in now.

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 11, 2020

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In theory you can journal DLR over to Canadian side of account before it settles. If TD, unsure if the self serve tool lets you.

Otherwise you eat a couple days of volatility while waiting for settlement (claim the capital loss/gain!).

DLR/DLR.U pair is really meant for slow "wait for settlement" Canada -> US though, not the reverse.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It depends on the brokerage whether you have to wait for the first trade to settle. Some places you can either call to get it done now, or wait and go through the website.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
With everything dropping, is now the time to continue investing my money? I only just started an investment account a couple weeks ago. Going with the VBAL but haven’t been through a downturn before. I don’t wanna pull, but have plans to invest about $30,000 in the next couple of months. Should I wait?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Stick to your plan, don't time the market.

If you're investing for decades, the optimal time to buy is always asap. If you're not sure about investing a big lump sum, by all means spread it out over a few weeks/months/years/whatever, but make a plan. Decide to e.g. invest $5k on the 1st of each month for the next six months and stick to it. Don't second guess yourself based on the news of the day.

Totally ok to go slow, but you wanna learn not to get spooked by little bumps. A little lucky success timing the market will teach you the wrong lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

We're back to what, Dec 2018 prices now almost?

The paper value of my boring-rear end index accounts goes down the equivalent of a month's salary on days like today. There's no discernable impact on my daily routine so instead of trippin the huge loss of net worth, I personally find it to be a nice reminder that I have a good life overall. If you're looking at throwing that cash into retirement accounts I'd say don't sweat it. The stress isn't worth trying to min-max that poo poo and we can't compete with the professionals.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 12, 2020