Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TremorX posted:

Is the software adjustment that bad? Mine is 61 so I figured it would be OK. I'm starting to lean towards the Quest, though, since I know my kids are gonna want to play BeatSaber and Superhot when I'm not racing with it. That said, what is up with stock right now? Are people really that hyped for Alyx that they're snatching up HMDs?

Perceptions vary. A lot of people with IPDs outside the recommended range have no problems with software adjustment, but for those who do there's no recourse - especially since hardware adjustment seems likely to get rarer and rarer in new headsets - so understandably they're very vocal about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

TremorX posted:

Is the software adjustment that bad? Mine is 61 so I figured it would be OK. I'm starting to lean towards the Quest, though, since I know my kids are gonna want to play BeatSaber and Superhot when I'm not racing with it. That said, what is up with stock right now? Are people really that hyped for Alyx that they're snatching up HMDs?

It's not so much Alyx as it is Valve being the leader in luxury VR and everyone wanting the best-in-class.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Perceptions vary. A lot of people with IPDs outside the recommended range have no problems with software adjustment, but for those who do there's no recourse - especially since hardware adjustment seems likely to get rarer and rarer in new headsets - so understandably they're very vocal about it.

I don't think it's really rarer. The ones that have software adjustment are derived from two stock HDK's; The WMR and the PSVR HMD (Lenovo's HMD's). The companies that actually put effort into ongoing VR development (Samsung, HTC, Oculus) all use hardware-based IPD adjustment.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nuts and Gum posted:

oh nice, do you have to enable it manually in the game? I just got a 2070s; can it take advantage of such things with an og rift?
It's a setting in the NVidia Control Panel and only works for games tested and approved by NVidia. You could hack support for other games via NVInspector, but it'll only work for games with a forward renderer and support for MSAA (if MSAA is there, it's probably forward rendering). The MSAA setting then controls the amount of supersampling, as in 4x MSAA turns into 4x SS.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TremorX posted:

Software adjustment doesn't do poo poo, really. It just tries to fix the scale of the objects you perceive. The physical lenses are still not positioned properly against your eyes. You are, in essence, wearing somebody else's glasses. No matter which image you look at and how you adjust it, you aren't going to fix the physical mismatch with the lenses.

EDIT: Also, coronavirus is messing with production capabilities of pretty much everything right now.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I've had a Vive for around a year now and no matter how much VR I've played after about an hour I get an insane amount of eye fatigue and have to stop. I've messed with the focal distance and played in night mode and neither things seem to have had an effect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my eyes used to VR?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lucinice posted:

I've had a Vive for around a year now and no matter how much VR I've played after about an hour I get an insane amount of eye fatigue and have to stop. I've messed with the focal distance and played in night mode and neither things seem to have had an effect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my eyes used to VR?

do you wear glasses by any chance

e: have you messed with ipd?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I can see my Quest quickly turning into a table tennis machine. Eleven is so insanely good on Quest

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVXhA0-TI4&t=867s

:suicide:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean........they’ve already said you don’t have to use teleport.

Don’t do it if you dont want to

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean........they’ve already said you don’t have to use teleport.

Don’t do it if you dont want to

I'm not going to, but hearing them say "We don't think there's actually that significant a difference at all between the experience" makes me feel like they're completely out of step with what I think is important in VR, where I personally heavily emphasize the idea of consistency, embodiment, and grounding in the universe, all of which teleportation massively destroys the feeling of.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

I'm not going to, but hearing them say "We don't think there's actually that significant a difference at all between the experience" makes me feel like they're completely out of step with what I think is important in VR, where I personally heavily emphasize the idea of consistency, embodiment, and grounding in the universe, all of which teleportation massively destroys the feeling of.

While this is true I think this misses the larger point that teleportation is the core aspect of their design for this game, and that smooth locomotion was tacked on later.
This is not good. The game will still be teleportation centric, which means small rooms you don't move around in much, and interactions that reflect that. Adding smooth locomotion on will reveal all of this stuff and prove a rather lackluster experience.

Remember when Robo Recall came out? Also teleportation at its core, people had smooth locomotion mods in a day or so and you know what happened? The game was worse because it got trivially easy to defeat the enemies and move through the map, so the whole thing fell apart.

So while the game is probably going to be pretty good as Valve has a high passion level for their flagship titles, teleportation (a bad game component) absolutely destroyed the game *we could have gotten*.

AAA funding by the devs most interested in VR succeeding going towards legacy VR mechanisms that are antithetical to the decades of experience spent in the industry and by this company on how to make an immersive high quality FPS.

Who else is going to put this kind of work into a VR game? But next time do it without being so behind that teleportation was relied upon as the core game design component?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

While this is true I think this misses the larger point that teleportation is the core aspect of their design for this game, and that smooth locomotion was tacked on later.
This is not good. The game will still be teleportation centric, which means small rooms you don't move around in much, and interactions that reflect that. Adding smooth locomotion on will reveal all of this stuff and prove a rather lackluster experience.

Yeah my perspective is that those things are the result of their attitude towards teleportation in general; since they don't seem to feel that the downsides of teleportation are particularly impactful (at least, they seem to come to that conclusion from what I can tell in the video), they're happy to use that as their design focus and then use smooth on top of it as an option, like you're saying.

My view is that since they aren't focused on what I think are the more important parts of VR, their game design decisions are going to be fundamentally flawed

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Inacio posted:

do you wear glasses by any chance

e: have you messed with ipd?

I do not wear glasses. Also when I said focal distance I meant IPD. I just forgot the right term.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Could be the fixed convergence, unfortunately that isn't a solved problem yet.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SCheeseman posted:

There's a VR mod for Garry's Mod that lets you play through most of the campaign, including 6DOF weapons. Apparently some scripted sequences are broken and vehicles are poorly implemented, but running and shooting plays fine.

I keep the OP pretty updated, most of the information there is still relevant. The main thing to check out for is your IPD, is it narrower than 59mm or wider than 67mm? Then you should probably get a Quest regardless of anything I say below as the Rift S doesn't allow for physical IPD adjustment.

Otherwise, the Rift S is slightly sharper, tracking is a little better, comfort and fit is nicer. But you lose out on the versatility of the Quest, features like WiFi VR streaming from your PC, experimental marker-less hand tracking and rather impressive Quest ports of games that you can take with you anywhere. There's even a complete VR Half Life port complete with 6DOF weapons. But also, if you just want to play Half Life Alyx then you might as well just get the Rift S due to the increase in quality but alsooo once you're done with Half Life Alyx, why not be left with something you can use for other cool stuff?

You can't go wrong either way, both will play Half Life Alyx just fine. Just note that if you get a Quest you'll have to get a USB 3.0 cable of some kind to connect it to your PC (compatibility is fickle, speaking of the OP I should probably throw down some recs), though this only ends up being about $30-40 on top.

One thing I’ll note is that the S is super comfortable. I had a CV1 and I’m apparently real sensitive to pressure on my face because it was hard to play for very long, and testing the Quest had the same issue, maybe even a little worse. The halo thing on the S and ability to adjust the closeness of the viewer make it so I can play with the thing barely putting any pressure on me.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How does Eleven compare to Racket Fury? I know Racket Fury's arcade mode made winning so easy you don't have to try, but simulation mode didn't feel good either and I couldn't do poo poo.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Origami Dali posted:

How does Eleven compare to Racket Fury? I know Racket Fury's arcade mode made winning so easy you don't have to try, but simulation mode didn't feel good either and I couldn't do poo poo.

Eleven is like playing table tennis irl. It’s insanely good.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Is there any reason you couldn't somehow manually move the Rift S lenses closer/farther apart to match your IPD?

You'd have to physically modify the headset, but does the software/LCD display make some sort of assumptions about the lens position that would totally break image matching/focusing/whatever if you moved them a few mm?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Because the display is a single panel

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Luneshot posted:

Is there any reason you couldn't somehow manually move the Rift S lenses closer/farther apart to match your IPD?

You'd have to physically modify the headset, but does the software/LCD display make some sort of assumptions about the lens position that would totally break image matching/focusing/whatever if you moved them a few mm?

IIRC headsets with adjustable IPD are two smaller screens, one for each eye. Non-adjustable like the Rift S is a single large panel. Moving the lenses on it wouldn't really do anything.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

When you adjust the physical sliders there's potentiometers that detect the IPD, the virtual cameras representing your eyes during 3D rendering are set to the same value through whatever VR API is in use.

It's also not only the lenses being moved when adjusting physical IPD but the displays too. Many HMDs use a single panel that they split into two (Rift S, PSVR), so it's isn't really possible to do that

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Makes sense. It’s not a huge problem for me so I was just curious.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yesterday night I lost my Internet connection on home, so I decided to play some VR games I had installed already on the pc.
I couldn't. The Oculus Home showed a nice grey box in the middle of my fov, without any message (I supect it should have shown an error message complaining of no internet but the message itself also failed? lol). There was no way close it and it was permanent, it wouldn't mind what I launched on my system, the box would be 'always on top'. GG Facebook.

Oh, by the way, the other day I tried a hockey game, Pick-up League Hockey, and I was impressed with the good work on the intuitive handling of the stick and the feeling of skating. Pity it's clearly an indie thing done by 2 guys and it's not feature complete. There was a dead mp lobby, and a practice mode where there was no AI to play against.

Incrediblastic
Oct 29, 2010

I eat food.
So for some reason oculus popped up today and said that my headset came with free oculus medium and quill a week after I bought it.

Here's an art I made:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Incrediblastic posted:

So for some reason oculus popped up today and said that my headset came with free oculus medium and quill a week after I bought it.

Here's an art I made:

It would be nice if they extend that to Oculus accounts that have used Quest+Link once.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Someday we will have the technology to use images as thread titles

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I'm super happy it has teleport because Boneworks is rough for me to play (motion sickness)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh boy! My client cancelled travel so I can be home to not get an Index when they go on sale! Do we know if it’s just the headsets or could I just grab some knucks? I assume Alyx is only free with the HMD proper.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Alyx is free with index controllers, says as much on the store page

I am also going to be buying the index controllers, I'm fine with my wireless vive at the moment and buying the index kit piecemeal isn't much more expensive than buying the bundle

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

empathe posted:

I'm super happy it has teleport because Boneworks is rough for me to play (motion sickness)

Boneworks is worst case, the stick locomotion in HL:A is likely going to be a lot more stable and therefore comfortable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pokerstars VR has custom avatars? Not just presets?

What's on God's green Earth is the reason it doesn't have that on SteamVR? I thought this is an Unity based game? OpenVR and poo poo?!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

empathe posted:

boneworks fucks me up and i rarely get sick in anything else

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

SCheeseman posted:

Boneworks is worst case, the stick locomotion in HL:A is likely going to be a lot more stable and therefore comfortable.

Inacio posted:

great to hear!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Pokerstars VR has custom avatars? Not just presets?

What's on God's green Earth is the reason it doesn't have that on SteamVR? I thought this is an Unity based game? OpenVR and poo poo?!

It for sure has it on SteamVR, you can customize your avatar on your watch or have it import one from Oculus. I’ve played with people on Vive/Index who have custom avatars, so it just be possible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It for sure has it on SteamVR, you can customize your avatar on your watch or have it import one from Oculus. I’ve played with people on Vive/Index who have custom avatars, so it just be possible.
So I'd need to gently caress around with the Oculus version and Revive? Blah. --edit: I don't mean props on the avatar, apparently there's full custom ones, just not on SteamVR, because reasons.

--edit: Oh right, seems like it's some Oculus generated stuff that gets imported into Pokerstars VR.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 6, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I'd need to gently caress around with the Oculus version and Revive? Blah. --edit: I don't mean props on the avatar, apparently there's full custom ones, just not on SteamVR, because reasons.

--edit: Oh right, seems like it's some Oculus generated stuff that gets imported into Pokerstars VR.

Yeah, it’s the Oculus Home avatar

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Inacio posted:

Agreed, I can handle dual stick (literally rotating the screen in arbitary directions) and Boneworks messes with me. The bouncing climbing arms is the freaking worst. They committed to making everything physics and I think they went a bit TOO far.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lemming posted:

rage-saq posted:

So while the game is probably going to be pretty good as Valve has a high passion level for their flagship titles, teleportation (a bad game component) absolutely destroyed the game *we could have gotten*.

Don't be so dramatic. The game is going to be fine as is without it being fully smooth locomotion based.

Personally I'm happy it doesn't have stuff like full-body presence and the depth of physics interaction Boneworks attempts. Since it allows the design team to focus on the core experience instead of a bunch of experimental stuff that would end up janky and less impactful.

Boneworks is cool and all but you can tell it didn't get the design iteration love it needed. VR is still a new concept so there's plenty of time for Valve and everyone else to figure out how to best ground VR players without making them puke after 30 minutes of play.

Plus HLA's high comfort level is gonna bring new devs into VR, so we'll certainly get more experimental stuff as a result. Being a designer myself I know the limitations of HLA are gonna spur people to expand, mod, and make their own VR games with the depth they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Teleportation may not feel all that cool, but I imagine that keeping people from getting sick is priority number one for developers.

Also I think I'm in the minority with this but I don't get the appeal of having arms rendered. They're never doing exactly the right thing and I find them distracting. Meanwhile with only hands my brain fills in the rest nicely.

Are elbow trackers going to be a thing?