Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I dunno dude all I can say is the learner theory test here has two potential questions about towing a trailer with a bike. One is how fast can you go if the trailer is over half the weight of your bike, the other is how fast you can go if it isn't.

They also have a question about what to do if there's an object in the road and the 'correct' answer is objectively wrong because the people who wrote the test got their license in 1968.

Yeah that sounds like some bullshit.

Our car learner test used to be like that. Questions about details of stuff you're not even allowed to be doing for your 3 year probationary license and all you've memorised is "I'm not allowed to do that".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I'm en route to get my motorcycle license beginning next week and I am facing the shopping phase. I got a really nice helmet (Schuberth C3 Pro) and now I'm faced with having to find a jacket (and pants). But so far I am not really finding anything that can support my figure, everything seems to assume a V-build. The US brands from the OP don't seem to be available here. Can any eurogoons recommend anything?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

So I'm en route to get my motorcycle license beginning next week and I am facing the shopping phase. I got a really nice helmet (Schuberth C3 Pro) and now I'm faced with having to find a jacket (and pants). But so far I am not really finding anything that can support my figure, everything seems to assume a V-build. The US brands from the OP don't seem to be available here. Can any eurogoons recommend anything?

I’m pretty skinny, but I found Knox’s jackets tight in the shoulders.

My A* mesh jacket is pretty slim fitting too.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dunno if you can get it in Europe, but Joe Rocket fit me perfectly when I was 30lbs heavier.
https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/ also got really good sizing guides, although it leans heavily towards the cafe-racer crowd.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

I had good luck with Rev'It. Im not sure how much our markets would overlap, but you can of course check Yoko, Sinisalo, Rukka alongside with the Alpinestars.

Which country are you in?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Patrocclesiastes posted:

I had good luck with Rev'It. Im not sure how much our markets would overlap, but you can of course check Yoko, Sinisalo, Rukka alongside with the Alpinestars.

Which country are you in?

Austria, so basically the same selection as Germany.

Bought my helmet in matte black, having second thoughts if I should have gone with white. Any thoughts while I can still exchange it?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Black helmets are canvases for fun stickers. You can even be safe/boring and add reflective ones.

Plastidip can be used to make it any colour you want

mewse
May 2, 2006

Supradog posted:

Black helmets are canvases for fun stickers. You can even be safe/boring and add reflective ones.

Plastidip can be used to make it any colour you want

Those stickers are both incredible

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
CA did a sticker run!?!?!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

This should be a vectorised png image.

I just printed it on some variant of sticker paper on a normal printer, not recommended. I didn't cover it in clear pastidip or similar so it flaked off in like 2 weeks.
You want it on something that can stretch a little. I think print shops can do this easily.

Based on muffler mike https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=790#post436618942 Genesis happens in the next couple of pages.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 2, 2020

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
On the topic of helmet decor, is there a place I can get some inspiration/see what other people have done to their headcans?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I plastered one of my first helmets with old AMD/Intel/Asus/Nvidia stickers I'd been hoarding over the years, like a big fukken nerd

I also had a bunch of smiley face stickers on it, I'd add one after any close call, it was almost enough to form a big smiley face on the side by the time I moved to a new helmet.

It's somewhere in storage so I'd have to pull it out to grab pictures of it, it was quite an eyesore.

My current helmet is a work of art I can't bring myself to mar with anything, the graphics are already so busy:

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I plastered one of my first helmets with old AMD/Intel/Asus/Nvidia stickers I'd been hoarding over the years, like a big fukken nerd

I also had a bunch of smiley face stickers on it, I'd add one after any close call, it was almost enough to form a big smiley face on the side by the time I moved to a new helmet.

It's somewhere in storage so I'd have to pull it out to grab pictures of it, it was quite an eyesore.

My current helmet is a work of art I can't bring myself to mar with anything, the graphics are already so busy:

Not sure you should be putting stickers of any type onto a helmet. I remember warnings about voiding warranties and so on, and manufacturers saying that they could not be held responsible for some unknown adhesive interacting unfavourably with the surface of the helmet. In any case, you're right: why the hell would you want to gently caress up such a good looking lid as that Shoei? Kawasaki much?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Frazzbo posted:

Not sure you should be putting stickers of any type onto a helmet. I remember warnings about voiding warranties and so on, and manufacturers saying that they could not be held responsible for some unknown adhesive interacting unfavourably with the surface of the helmet. In any case, you're right: why the hell would you want to gently caress up such a good looking lid as that Shoei? Kawasaki much?

The friend I went helmet shopping with told me the same myth which I found quite questionable, turns out Schuberth agrees and has it listed in their FAQ as a thing that is definitely OK.
It's basically the same as sticking things on cars, just make sure to use compatible adhesive for the surface.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah the sticker thing is basically a myth at this point. No stickers you'd commonly encounter will use any kind of glue that could damage the helmet's shell. Paint is of course a different question, since the solvents there are much more powerful and can easily cause problems. But your standard vinyl promotional bumper sticker kind of thing has no effect on helmet integrity.

There is a risk that if your helmet's shell gets cracked by rolling off a table or something, and you have a lot of stickers all over it, you won't notice the damage. That's why under most OSHA-type regulatory codes you aren't allowed to put stickers on hardhats. Not a huge concern if you keep track of your helmet and inspect it regularly, but something to keep in mind.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Gonna put Ahegao stickers on my helmet

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Welp, turns out a protective equipment manufacturer is literally seated one town over and they not only do direct sales but apparently have no problem with someone stopping by and trying on stuff. I like them already, and their prices are ridiculously low. If the quality passes inspection I'm most likely buying my equipment locally :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Went out an bought a hydraulic lift/stand thing. After some trial and error, I can get the front, back, or both wheels up with the bike stable. When I go back to the city next week I'm gonna try to return the other stands, but I'm not all that hopeful they'll accept them since I did assemble them and I guess at least technically used them even if they didn't work. Maybe they'll give me store credit or something.

Anyway, hit the oil change interval last week so I did that and also did most of the stuff listed under "periodic maintenance" in the service manual today, which amounted to cleaning the air filters and inspecting a bunch of stuff. I did manage to start the bike with the oil cap off. Sprayed a very small amount out (like, maybe 50ml in the 5 seconds it was on for) Hope that didn't gently caress anything up.

What I didn't do:

The lubrication specified in the "lubrication points" diagram, because I don't know what to use for lubricant. What do I use for lubricant for levers and cable pulleys and stuff?

Compression test and oil pressure test, because I lack the tools.

Valve clearances because that looks like a fairly big job what with taking the fuel tank etc off and I didn't have time today.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 3, 2020

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah the sticker thing is basically a myth at this point. No stickers you'd commonly encounter will use any kind of glue that could damage the helmet's shell. Paint is of course a different question, since the solvents there are much more powerful and can easily cause problems. But your standard vinyl promotional bumper sticker kind of thing has no effect on helmet integrity.

There is a risk that if your helmet's shell gets cracked by rolling off a table or something, and you have a lot of stickers all over it, you won't notice the damage. That's why under most OSHA-type regulatory codes you aren't allowed to put stickers on hardhats. Not a huge concern if you keep track of your helmet and inspect it regularly, but something to keep in mind.

Fairy nuff. Good point about possibly obscuring damage. Personally, I don't see the advantage of "customising" with stickers that could eventually get raggedy edges & look a bit poo poo, but that would apply to my bike as well, so hey ho... Enjoy your ride, everyone!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah the sticker thing is basically a myth at this point. No stickers you'd commonly encounter will use any kind of glue that could damage the helmet's shell.

Finally gonna add that DOT sticker I got on eBay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Went out an bought a hydraulic lift/stand thing. After some trial and error, I can get the front, back, or both wheels up with the bike stable. When I go back to the city next week I'm gonna try to return the other stands, but I'm not all that hopeful they'll accept them since I did assemble them and I guess at least technically used them even if they didn't work. Maybe they'll give me store credit or something.

Anyway, hit the oil change interval last week so I did that and also did most of the stuff listed under "periodic maintenance" in the service manual today, which amounted to cleaning the air filters and inspecting a bunch of stuff. I did manage to start the bike with the oil cap off. Sprayed a very small amount out (like, maybe 50ml in the 5 seconds it was on for) Hope that didn't gently caress anything up.

What I didn't do:

The lubrication specified in the "lubrication points" diagram, because I don't know what to use for lubricant. What do I use for lubricant for levers and cable pulleys and stuff?

Compression test and oil pressure test, because I lack the tools.

Valve clearances because that looks like a fairly big job what with taking the fuel tank etc off and I didn't have time today.

You can get cable specific lube for the cables but pretty much anything slippery will do, wd40 or a bit of gear oil dribbled in seems to work fine. For pivot points like levers just get some EP bearing grease cause you can use that anywhere on the bike including head bearings, swingarm bearings etc, a $30 tube lasts like a decade if you only use it on bike stuff and it's handy for lots of random poo poo. If you want to be surgically showroom clean get a stick of dry lube, you can pretty much only use that on the levers and pedals but it's tidier.

Clearances on your bike are super easy, 90% of the work is just taking off the stuff to get in there. You'll need an adjuster tool thingy, luckily they're cheap and fit a vast variety of bikes. Protip: leave the speedo on the tank, just take off the little side panel by the steering head and disconnect the wiring, the whole thing comes off as one piece.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Supradog posted:

This should be a vectorised png image.

I'm going to add some of these next time I do a Moo sticker print for band stickers. Takk kompis

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Did someone say helmet stickers?

for all:
https://imgur.com/a/rXkWhUH

Preview:
The teeth are hand cut out and fitted and are of 3M reflective material:

Anyone remember Becktastic and her zebra DR? This was one of the gifts for sponsoring her ride from the artic to tierra del fuego:

Here's the ATGATT sticker:

While wearing the blue helmet I got into a pretty bad wreck, as a joke the folks I rode with gave me a "mario" 1-up mushroom every time I replaced my helmet when I lived near them.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 7, 2020

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Skreemer posted:

Did someone say helmet stickers?
Preview:
The teeth are hand cut out and fitted and are of 3M reflective material:

While wearing the blue helmet I got into a pretty bad wreck, as a joke the folks I rode with gave me a "mario" 1-up mushroom every time I replaced my helmet when I lived near them.
The teeth are an awesome idea, I wanted to do something like that but was too lazy to follow through with all the steps needed to make something really cool. I looked around online to try to find stickers that said dumb poo poo like "biohazard" or "student driver", but they were all either the wrong size or too expensive.

I dug up my old helmet, nothing fantastic but I thought I got pretty creative with the old computer gear stickers in a few places. The gunk is from when I put reflective tape on it once but it looked even more hideous than I thought it would

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally, a canvas which I can use to settle strangers’ questions about which cloud platform and programming language I prefer. At highway speeds.

aws and nodejs *pops wheelie*

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Martytoof posted:

Finally, a canvas which I can use to settle strangers’ questions about which cloud platform and programming language I prefer. At highway speeds.

aws and nodejs *pops wheelie*

You could have an entire answer card on your helmet, allowing yout to just point at things to talk to other people on the road. Brb, patenti g this idea!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
One of the folks I rode with had "Hello There!" in reflective tape, the tape was black but reflected as white. On his black helmet, you could barely see it in the daytime but at night from behind it was pretty entertaining. One of the other folks had a giant "Cheshire cat" type grin across the back in reflective material, another dark-colored helmet so at night depending on how the light caught it, there'd be this floating grin going down the road.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Storm Clara today and yesterday in the UK.

Yesterday going back home from the gym, I was doing about 25mph, light in front of me turns green to yellow, lay off the throttle but with the wind and the rain on the road and the car behind me I didn’t feel comfortable pretty much emergency stopping and either skidding or getting rammed from behind by the car; the light turned red exactly as my front wheel passed the stop line (having reviewed the go pro footage).

Is that the sort of thing that’s prosecutable by the cops?

Today it was so windy that I was doing about 20mph on a 60 limit main A road in the middle of an open plain. It was utterly scary. 100% now only going round smaller streets with more cover during the storm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know about the UK but in America literally anything is prosecutable by the cops, including telling the cops that you didn't do anything wrong or attempting to leave when they can't tell you what you did. So if the cop wants to arrest you for it, they're going to, that's it.

From a more technical standpoint -- even in the USA laws vary state by state, but the usual definition of "running a red light" is having any part of your vehicle in the intersection while the light is red. You are supposed to stop for the yellow light if possible -- the point is to have that buffer of time before it goes red. In this case, you saw the light turn yellow but didn't stop for it, but also weren't able to make it out of the intersection before it went red. That means you were riding too fast for the conditions, IMO.

When I was learning to drive the exam standard was:

- if any part of your car is in the intersection while the light is red, you fail
- if you enter the intersection while the light is yellow, you fail
- if you are in the intersection already (nose over the stop line) and the light turns yellow, that is okay, as long as you clear out before it turns red

This leads to "what if the light is green and suddenly turns yellow just as you cross the line, do you fail then?" and the answer is yes, you fail, you should have been driving more slowly, and/or predicting when the light was going to change by observing the pedestrian signal or seeing how many cars were stacked up on the crossing streets. It's kind of bullshit and I had a few friends who failed for that, but I get the logic.

Anyway in your case (wet road, can't brake strongly) the correct answer is to ride more slowly so that you have more warning and don't have to make a choice between running the red or skidding/dumping the bike. Let people honk and go around you if they want, that's on them. If you're already riding too fast to stop safely, yes, I would probably just continue through the intersection knowing that people rarely jump the green light. If I got a ticket, "I was riding too fast to stop" is not a compelling argument to have it thrown out. I would accept that I screwed and up I'd make an effort to not do it again in the future.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 9, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

In the UK, if the light is red as your front wheel crosses the line, it is technically illegal. In London many junctions are monitored by automatic cameras, but I have no idea what tolerances they have.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Given the choice of crash or ticket you'd just take the tax surely?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I don't think there's a camera near these lights. I believe all UK red light cameras are on a pole in a big yellow or grey box, and there certainly isn't any of that up here.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The UK police don’t have the time money or shits to prosecute petty bullshit like someone sitting a wheel past the road marking.

Providing you’re not taking the piss, They’re generally very chill and are very relaxed towards bikes (the police run bike training program is a lesson in “making progress”)

Heck, I was doing 50 in a 30, went past two police with a laser gun, and the worst I got was one of them stepping into the road and signalling me to slow down.

As for RLCs, they’re weird. part speed camera part red light camera, and afaik use your speed to determine if you get a ticket. But they’re bright yellow, so if there’s no yellow box at that intersection I wouldn’t sweat it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally had the magic combination of nice weather, some free time and daylight and I got out on the bike for an hour for the first time in....2 months?
Still need better gloves, but thinking I probably wont get to ride much anyway until it gets warmer.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sagebrush posted:

From a more technical standpoint -- even in the USA laws vary state by state, but the usual definition of "running a red light" is having any part of your vehicle in the intersection while the light is red. You are supposed to stop for the yellow light if possible -- the point is to have that buffer of time before it goes red. In this case, you saw the light turn yellow but didn't stop for it, but also weren't able to make it out of the intersection before it went red. That means you were riding too fast for the conditions, IMO.

In Norway, yellow means "stop if it is safe to do so" and red means "do not enter this intersection". It's legal to enter the intersection when the light is yellow, and the definition of running a red light here is crossing the stop line while the light is red. The crossing light waits to turn green long enough for the intersection to clear under normal conditions even if someone entered the intersection a split second before the light turned red.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Well, nae ticket in the post so it's fine. I spoke to my motorcycle riding instructor about it, he said I should just anticipate all traffic lights in front of me to be about to turn yellow, and ride so that I expect to stop quickly.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

"Stale green" -- I don't know how traffic signals are in the UK, but in the US you can usually use the crosswalk signal to tell whether the light is about to change. Obviously some signals are different from others so only rely on that for signals/intersections you know.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just realised I haven't posted here for like a month +. I didn't crash and die and I'm still riding shitloads (of small boring rides), I just haven't had any questions or anything to add.

Until now. I recently rode out to see a salt lake and that was pretty cool. Took about a 4 hours round trip. On the way out, I could hit >120km/h. On the way back, barely 100km/h and I'd have to gear down to maintain that up slight rises. Terrain's near perfectly flat most of the way (as you'd expect in a salt lake kinda area) and there was almost no wind and what there was was blowing across. Full tank when I left home, re-filled at the far end. So for 2 hours, I could go 20-30km/h faster than I could for the next two hours. The only difference in anything at all was the location I bought fuel (and it was the same stuff from Shell both times) and the fact that the sun came out and the day warmed up a fair bit (maybe 10 degrees c) between the halves of the ride.

Seems normal now, hitting 110-120 max like normal.

So... what gives? Is it likely to have been bad fuel? What should I check?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most likely just crap fuel. Ambient temperature does affect jetting and therefore power, but you'd need a confluence of several things like hot day + head wind + whatever wiseto get that big a difference. poo poo fuel is more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Only other thing I can think of is the rubber grip slightly slipping on thottle tube when the failing glue warmed up from the sun /turning on the heated grip. Only enough grip to keep the actual throttle input/rpm at 75%ish of normal max. But that's usually more noticeable.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 6, 2020