Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bede is Silver but now made clear how much of a loving loser a person like Silver would really be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I think we can all agree the writing sucks here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Flopsy posted:

I think we can all agree the writing sucks here.

It's a shonen sports anime by someone that's never read a single tournament arc.

They made a tournament semi-finals involving Giant Kaiju battles feel lifeless and flaccid.

It's spectacularly suck.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Funky Valentine posted:

Bede is Silver but now made clear how much of a loving loser a person like Silver would really be.

Bede looks and dresses like a grandmother

More specifically, exactly like an actual grandmother that I know, including his coat

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think it's a lot better than Sun & Moon and especially X & Y, personally, but I also never played Ultra Sun & Moon so I dunno how good the improvements were there.

E: The writing, that is.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mystery Dungeon is out ^_^

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's basically like if Asimov got a chance to write a Pokemon game

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

I think it's a lot better than Sun & Moon and especially X & Y, personally, but I also never played Ultra Sun & Moon so I dunno how good the improvements were there.

ultra sunmoon aren’t really any better than vanilla but lillie’s arc alone is better than the entirety of sword and shield

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The only character in swsh who's better than their sumo equivalent is hop and that's because Hau was written poorly on purpose, as a joke

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

You think Rose is a better villain than Lusamine?....Really? You think Hop's story is more compelling than Lillie and Gladion's? You think eternatus had the kind of build up to Lusamine's mental breakdown and transformation? Uhhhhh sorry I ain't seeing it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lusamine in S/M is not even a villain, she just wants to go chill in another dimension as a squid monster. Her plot could have been resolved by... just letting her.

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
I'm currently playing through Crystal so I can transfer up a bunch of Pokemon from previous gens. Is there any point teaching egg moves? Or should I not bother because they might become redundant once they're transferred up.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Avalerion posted:

Lusamine in S/M is not even a villain, she just wants to go chill in another dimension as a squid monster. Her plot could have been resolved by... just letting her.
and pass up the opportunity for lillie to say "gently caress you, mom!"? I would never.

Mustafa posted:

I'm currently playing through Crystal so I can transfer up a bunch of Pokemon from previous gens. Is there any point teaching egg moves? Or should I not bother because they might become redundant once they're transferred up.
check serebii for "transfer exclusive moves" and see if there's any specifically from crystal that you like.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Avalerion posted:

She deliberately opened up as many portals as possible specifically to let the Ultra Beasts cause havoc. She also very nearly killed Cosmog in the process. We’re not even touching the child abuse, manipulation of Team Skull, Type: Null, or the lair of frozen corpses.

She very much was a villain, even if she was so crazy that she decided to stick with the rock jellyfish at the end.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 6, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chronojam posted:

Bede looks and dresses like a grandmother

More specifically, exactly like an actual grandmother that I know, including his coat

That’s why he takes over the gym run by a grandmother, obviously.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I still feel let down that S/M didn't let us actually fight Lusamine. Imagine the shock once you beat her team...only for one more pokeball symbol to pop up as Lusamine steps in to take of this herself!

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Nanigans posted:

Wish I knew the source. Found it on FB.

Found them! https://twitter.com/Doodlelot/status/1219404268022706176

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey so earlier someone asked me to make this team a rental so here you go

Basically it is a Sun team and also a trick room team

The idea was I wanted to build a team around both Snorlax and Venusaur. Snorlax is my favorite and is actually usable in this game and Venusaur was my first ever Pokémon

Generally I lead Venusaur, either lead Torkoal or switch him in when I need the boost immediately

In the back is jellicent and snorlax to trick room and take over. Torkoal is amazing in TR too

I initially wanted Clefable - a Togekiss gave me a lot of weaknesses I did not want additional amounts of but I am quickly realizing why Togekiss on every single te

Grimm snarl is great and prankster is great but I’m not sure there’s really much space for him when I’m trying to go either trick room or Sun or both

I am heavily considering replacing him with a prankster weather setter like sableye

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 6, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Awesome! Thanks for sharing out this team. I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

I wish so badly you weren't absolutely right. It feels like there's like...the makings of something good that were just never allowed to develop and it's soooo loving frustrating.

And every time there's even a remote hint of story, the game literally tells you to instead focus on the gym challenge while the adults handle things

Which...yay for adults being useful, but it locks the player out of the story and there's nothing to actually do besides catch, raise, breed, and trade pokemon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

And every time there's even a remote hint of story, the game literally tells you to instead focus on the gym challenge while the adults handle things

Which...yay for adults being useful, but it locks the player out of the story and there's nothing to actually do besides catch, raise, breed, and trade pokemon

Exactly! And it ends up feeling like a strangely hollow experience. Guess that's what DLC's for but....ugh.

FewtureMD posted:

I still feel let down that S/M didn't let us actually fight Lusamine. Imagine the shock once you beat her team...only for one more pokeball symbol to pop up as Lusamine steps in to take of this herself!

This would've been one of the greatest moments to ever grace the series if they let it happen.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Epic High Five posted:

Bede doesn't give a gently caress about you, his battle is always with himself or Capitalist Betrayer or an ancient woman who owns him repeatedly, the protagonist of SwSh for Bede is merely a blank canvass upon which to paint his massive anger at the whole world for how stupid it is. Bede was 100% right about Rose and the destruction of the mural was absolutely in line with what Rose wanted, the only reason he was upset is because Bede got caught. Bede realizes this, and because of his foresight and determination gets to be the gym leader of the best type in pokemon

I personally give a gently caress about Bede and take enormous pleasure in grinding his face into the dirt every time he kramers onto the screen.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Remember the point where Pokémon were apparently Dynamaxing uncontrollably and rampaging through the region? Yeah, it would have been nice to have seen any of that instead of being told Leon handled it all offscreen with no trouble.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 6, 2020

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Geostomp posted:

Remember the point where Pokémon were apparently Dynamaxing uncontrollably and rampaging through the region? Yeah, it would have been nice to have seen any of that instead of being told Leon handled it all offscreen with no trouble.

Out on the town having the battle of my life with a bunch of dynamaxed wild pokemon. They're all just out of frame, laughing too.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Hey man, Rose Tower is really tall. That elevator takes a while. Especially when it keeps stopping at each floor to let people in before resuming the ascent.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Tapus are so much cooler than the doggies

e: even though I love the doggies

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 6, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

the Tapus are so much cooler than the doggies

e: even though I love the doggies

poo poo yeah they are! They also nicely capture the fey like capriciousness island gods like them actually would have. For example they censored Tapu Lele's pokedex entry because north american nintendo thought it was too dark.

Zacian and Zamazenta are super cute though and Zacian absolutely makes battle tower a breeze I gotta give her props.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flopsy posted:

For example they censored Tapu Lele's pokedex entry because north american nintendo thought it was too dark.

what did it say originally?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

what did it say originally?

Quote: Lele's claim to fame in-canon are the healing effects of its powdery scales, but Lele is far from the sweet, nurturing figure more typically packaged with healing abilities. It's even described in the pokedex as "guilelessly cruel," and the official website even saw fit to tone down its description in English. Our version says that Lele once used its healing scales to end a bloody war and bring peace to its island, but the original Japanese goes on to say that the battle only ended because "the warriors, empowered by the scales, all fought to their final breath."

Essentially Lele has a tendency to heal humans and pokemon with her scales mostly just to get her kicks watching them get up and kill each other over and over again until they simply collapse from the strain.

Weirdly enough the nicest of all the Tapu is Tapu Koko the most warlike one out of all of them. Mostly because he actually still likes humans to an extent and will do favors for them on occasion while expecting nothing in return. Just uh....don't piss him off.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 6, 2020

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
drat

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Tapu's are okay as legendaries but they are like the genies, too op for the tier they are allowed but no op enough to be banned. I hate seeing them.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Eimi posted:

The Tapu's are okay as legendaries but they are like the genies, too op for the tier they are allowed but no op enough to be banned. I hate seeing them.

It's a huge failure of SuMo that almost all the good Pokemon competitively from that gen are the Tapus are Ultra Beasts and anything that isn't one of those is almost guaranteed to be trash.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ultima66 posted:

It's a huge failure of SuMo that almost all the good Pokemon competitively from that gen are the Tapus are Ultra Beasts and anything that isn't one of those is almost guaranteed to be trash.

I think after Talonflame they were afraid of letting another route 1 bird be good, but drat it Toucannon deserves power. I want to put his sheer anger to use. :argh:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I love u Kartana.....

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I didn't "get" Kartana until I saw how small it was, at which point I fell in love with it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kartana is insanely cool, and cute

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

oddium posted:

kartana is insanely cool, and cute

And it also has the thought processes of an old school samurai. And it's lil' paper fortune teller face reflects its moods.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ultima66 posted:

I dunno, I kinda like that there's a lotta niche picks
ribombee is fast as gently caress & can do double duty as an entry hazard user/dragon destroyer, and araquanid with power split is really fun to send out against physical attackers.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

I miss how in Super, your partner would walk next to you, rather than behind, while in town. It was a neat touch that made them feel a little more like a partner. I wonder why they dropped that, considering this game is clearly built on top of the same codebase.

I also miss being able to stall for a round (without spending PP) with A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tayter Swift posted:

Some of the models feel a little off

https://twitter.com/pixxyofice/status/1236067190006136832