Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Its TNG 6x20 The Chase you are talking here.

Progenitors lived aeons before any of trek denizens and they basically created all life in Milky Way, so everyone is somewhat compatible.
Doesn't fall too well in line with all good things, but still plausible.
One of my favourite episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Explain the Sheliak then

or the Tholians

The Chase was a fun episode but might be as bad as Threshold as far as how it relates to actual science. Evolution isn't 'directed' towards anything.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 6, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Evolution? From the material they seeded.

As if anything in Treks relates to science. Treknobabble more like.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Explain the Sheliak then

or the Tholians

I think the assumption is that non-humanoid life is natural evolution, it's just forehead bumpies that are precursor.

If I recall the fanwank on the science is that they encoded a mutation-resistant 'program' in seeming junk DNA which acted to select towards humanoid intelligence.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 6, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't understand what the Romulans are doing.

We know they have a tracker on the doctor. Yet they have Narek following the tracker to presumably intercept Picard and Soji on Nepenthe since they don't know where Picard went with her. OK, that's fair enough. But at the end of the last episode we know that the Romulans found out where the 'synth homeworld' was, but meanwhile 'Rizzo' is farting around on the Cube killing off xBs when I assume the main goal of the Zhat Vash was to go find this planet that they have not been able to find and wipe out the synths. Was it absolutely necessary for Narek to have to follow the tracker closely to keep tabs on them? It's just weird that Rizzo seems in no rush to run off and find the place they have been looking for the entire season.

I've been a staunch defender of the show, but there are certainly plot holes present in the latest episode, though for me the only major one was actively tracking the ship. That clashes both because any Romulan secret group should have a cloaked ship hanging out where they're conducting a major operation. or parked nearby, and that's a better tracking ship, and because there really wasn't a need for one at that point. Sticking around to get intel and then clean up the mess overall is just good operational security, with the intel in hand they can act at leisure but Picard, Soji, Hugh, and the ship crew are all loose ends.

I guess you can square the circle if they just don't have a cloaked ship ready and wanted to follow the ship back to Picard to blow him up later, and Rios is just a particularly badass captain who spotted the tail and would have been able to lose it if they weren't bugged already.

It seems like we're getting "synths will lead to a new race of Borg" as the only plausible explanation for the Zhat Vasj's motivations, or at least the info the Doc was given, which you know, will work, but I think the show did itself a disservice by building this secret up as being quite this massive. If it's a predictable secret or combination of secrets then I won't find that particularly satisfying, and as much as I love and defend the show in general even I don't think they can pull a surprise twist to the mystery that's both really satisfying and makes the actions of various characters on the show make sense.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Mood watching this wonderful episode

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Delthalaz posted:

You know come to think about it, these hybrid children with parents from entirely different species that evolved on planets lightyears apart may be some of the most implausible conceits in star trek

I mean, they explicitly show a clinic on freecloud that does the tweaking necessary to make it happen.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

You know come to think about it, these hybrid children with parents from entirely different species that evolved on planets lightyears apart may be some of the most implausible conceits in star trek

Star Trek biology is definitely stupider than Star Trek physics or Star Trek chemistry. See also- any time genetic engineering, cloning, or evolution comes up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

To me, it was exactly what I don't want from STP. There was no good reason for those characters to be in the show. They didn't do anything that could only be done by them. It was literally just there to go "look guys, it's those characters you like from the other thing!" And, at best, it just got us up to a point we should already have been at, like, three episodes ago.

I disagree with this. The Troi-Riker family did several things no one else may have been able to do:

humanize Picard to Soji so she could at least start to trust his intentions

break the fall of Soji learning what she is, and make it bearable to go forward

Get Picard to start Picarding - he wouldn't have listened to anyone else

Plus it was heartwarming and fun. There are whole episodes of material that should be cut before this reunion ep

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

^^ I agree with this. Others have basically told Picard what he represents to them. Troi told Picard who he is and needs to be again. ^^

I know I'm repeating what everyone else said, but Riker/Troi/Kestra are awesome and everyone on that planet was really good. Pizza Chef Riker was great, as was hearing him use the Riker voice a bit. I teared up when Troi saw Picard and it lingered on her starting to tear up.

Troi getting to actually do her job for once was the best writing this show has had so far. I also loved her "[Soji] thinks she's human, is showing an anxiety attack, is presenting everything as normal and there's nothing inside.

Hugh deserved so, so, so much better. It's total bullshit what they did to one of the more iconic guest stars from TNG. It felt like they were building him into going into revenge mode, and I thought they might protect him with the whole Federation citizen thing.

I really, really wish they didn't make either the Romulans (and hopefully not the Borg too) into the bad guys. Looking back to Balance of Terror, there was that respect, the "In a different reality, I could have called you friend." I wanted to see a world where the Romulans didn't just fall back into being standard Romulans again, especially after the alliance of the Dominion War and the aftermath of Nemesis. Oh well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Troi-Rikers would be great to have as an aunt and uncle, even though Kestra would probably be an annoying cousin

This just occurred to me: they didn't Terminator 2 Lore in Descent pt. II so he's conceivably out there in some crate next to the Ark of the Covenant right? Borg, synths, I dunno seems like it's right in his wheelhouse

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 6, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tiggum posted:

To me, it was exactly what I don't want from STP. There was no good reason for those characters to be in the show. They didn't do anything that could only be done by them. It was literally just there to go "look guys, it's those characters you like from the other thing!" And, at best, it just got us up to a point we should already have been at, like, three episodes ago.
Given the best episode of Star Trek in twenty-one years you're mithering about the good characters that were in it, because putting good characters in good scenes is bad somehow.

Good Christ you're a misery.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I definitely fell asleep hard a couple times during this but that's most likely on me. I'm gonna watch it again tonight, sitting up, because I got wayyy too comfy before clicking play this time around.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MichiganCubbie posted:

^^ I agree with this. Others have basically told Picard what he represents to them. Troi told Picard who he is and needs to be again. ^^

I know I'm repeating what everyone else said, but Riker/Troi/Kestra are awesome and everyone on that planet was really good. Pizza Chef Riker was great, as was hearing him use the Riker voice a bit. I teared up when Troi saw Picard and it lingered on her starting to tear up.

Troi getting to actually do her job for once was the best writing this show has had so far. I also loved her "[Soji] thinks she's human, is showing an anxiety attack, is presenting everything as normal and there's nothing inside.

Hugh deserved so, so, so much better. It's total bullshit what they did to one of the more iconic guest stars from TNG. It felt like they were building him into going into revenge mode, and I thought they might protect him with the whole Federation citizen thing.

I really, really wish they didn't make either the Romulans (and hopefully not the Borg too) into the bad guys. Looking back to Balance of Terror, there was that respect, the "In a different reality, I could have called you friend." I wanted to see a world where the Romulans didn't just fall back into being standard Romulans again, especially after the alliance of the Dominion War and the aftermath of Nemesis. Oh well.

Well, this is a specific cadre of Romulans and not the government as a whole (what’s left of it).

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

DaveKap posted:

Riker cabin stuff

He grew up in Alaska and they also specifically said they went to live on that planet because they thought it might help their son’s condition

zoux posted:

This just occurred to me: they didn't Terminator 2 Lore in Descent pt. II so he's conceivably out there in some crate next to the Ark of the Covenant right? Borg, synths, I dunno seems like it's right in his wheelhouse

Correct. Lore’s ultimate fate is unknown after being taken into Federation custody in a disassembled state, and is one of my lingering questions and wondering if he’ll have any role in this.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Given the best episode of Star Trek in twenty-one years...

I’m curious what episode you’re referring to?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Given the best episode of Star Trek in twenty-one years you're mithering about the good characters that were in it, because putting good characters in good scenes is bad somehow.

Good Christ you're a misery.
They were good characters in the show they were actually in. They're not in this show. It was a cameo. Instead of building up the characters that are actually sticking around; instead of moving the plot forward; instead of giving us something to care about that's actually part of this show, they gave us Riker and Troi because they were in the good show that people liked 30 years ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah and it fuckin ruled

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RLM has the theory that Lore will show up and that is certainly possible

His fate after Descent is very ambiguous

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hasn't RLM been wrong about almost all their predictions for this show so far?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tiggum posted:

They were good characters in the show they were actually in. They're not in this show. It was a cameo. Instead of building up the characters that are actually sticking around; instead of moving the plot forward; instead of giving us something to care about that's actually part of this show, they gave us Riker and Troi because they were in the good show that people liked 30 years ago.

Honestly Riker and Troi were two of the weaker characters in TNG and especially Troi came out pretty well in this ep. I do think this is wheel-spinning to a big degree, but then this show loves wheel-spinning with characters that don't work. An enormous amount of picard's character in TNG was his reactions to the ensemble he came with and leaving them out makes the character study aspects a lot worse.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

An alternate scene where Picard forgets to cut communications with Rios before he poo poo-talks them to Riker

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Count me as someone who has been wondering about Lore since the first inklings of this story came out. He also lines up with the idea of reclaimed Borg to a lesser extent.

One interesting note if he's brought back is that he won't have his emotion chip anymore. Data took it, and while we don't know if he had it in when he died, it's safe to assume he did. I'd love to see an episode where Lore deals with Data's death, and maybe even learns to try to better himself with the help of humans instead of just being a bad guy again.

Edit: I just looked it up on Memory Alpha and:

Memory Alpha posted:

However, a deleted scene included in the two disc Special Edition had Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge and Lt. Commander Worf going to Data's quarters to remove some of his items near the end of the film. La Forge took Data's emotion chip and Worf took Spot, Data's cat.

One thing I forgot to mention is that Rios just keeps growing on me. I like him more and more. He's the best of the crew.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I thought Picard’s voice sounded stronger too when he joined them at the dinner table. Hopefully it carries forward because I get sad hearing how tired/old he sounds.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Lister posted:

It's kind of worse than that. People have been saying how down everything seems to be with everyone and in this case the Sikarians, who are super nice and giving and happy, end up getting assimilated and their society destroyed. Looks like they should have just given Voyager that tech and maybe they wouldn't have ended up saving the the Borg from 8472!

Sikarians: I think it's entirely possible that not all of them were assimilated given that they have the transporter tech that can send them 40,000+ lightyears away. At least some did, and the Borg got the tech, but they don't say anything more than that. The tech itself is a bit of a problem though. With it the Borg could just appear on any planet without warning and start assimilating people.

I kind of wish Voyager would have encountered them more after that episode. Like, they are on a planet for some other reason and bump into a few Sikarians out of nowhere.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It would have been better if the Trajector technology was shown to be cripplingly power-consumptive - like they use it and the entire cube shuts down for 6 hours or something.

RE: the Sikarians, wasn't their whole point the fact that they were happy and nice to the detriment of their security and general awareness?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hasn't RLM been wrong about almost all their predictions for this show so far?
Rich did correctly call that Jurati would be a spy, but that was easy

I think they are also sticking with the idea that the ‘terrible secret’ is that the Romulans made the Borg

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rich did correctly call that Jurati would be a spy, but that was easy

I think they are also sticking with the idea that the ‘terrible secret’ is that the Romulans made the Borg

I mean that one's been telegraphed hard for a while, I made that call several weeks ago ITT.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I’m thinking maybe someone lent their 2000s Battlestar Galactics DVD set to the Zhad Vajj (or they discovered it somehow) and they thought it was prophecy. maybe it played a similar role to the history book and that gangster planet in TOS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It just occurred to me that the trajector being in the Queen Cell or whatever is meant to imply something about the queen(s) traveling from cube to cube which ..... :mad:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Bloop posted:

It just occurred to me that the trajector being in the Queen Cell or whatever is meant to imply something about the queen(s) traveling from cube to cube which ..... :mad:

I thought they were saying it was essentially used as an escape pod for the queen in case of emergencies.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Why would the Queen need an escape route for her physical body?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it's because the Borg Queen is a dumbass idea

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Sounds about right.

They really leaning into those.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Well it's because the Borg Queen is a dumbass idea

It was fine when she was just an avatar for the collective (as Locutus was also) but then Voyager had her acting as an actual commander.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know they explain it explicitly as an emergency escape for the queen, but I think it makes more sense if you see the queen as less "the leader of this cube" and more "the most logical Sole Survivor to escape and report to the Collective if necessary"

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Why would the Queen need to report back via her physical body?

Who would she be reporting to?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I still think the Borg act like a collective of collectives. There doesn't seem to be a single borg mind that includes all drones on all cubes everywhere, there is probably a physical speed limit to communication even for them, so the borg is more a communal organism with parts able to act independently or reabsorbed into the whole, much like the great link.

In this way, a Queen might represent all the progress and important changes made to the collective on her cube(s) and physically trajecting her elsewhere may well be a meaningful preservation method for the advances made by that sphere that have yet to disseminate into the entire borg collective.

That being said, instantiating the borg into a body probably, as a completely unintended side-effect, gives her a bit of individuality and the self-preservation drive that comes with it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
poo poo, they just need to enable more regular autosaves.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Why would the Queen need to report back via her physical body?

Who would she be reporting to?

I dunno, kind of a living black box. I haven't seen enough Voyager or First Contact so it may be that all Borg, everywhere, are constantly connected instead of discrete groups on individual ships, but even if so, in the event of some catastrophe it kind of makes sense to have an emergency datastore ejection system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

emergency datastore ejection system.

with TITS