Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
These Airwatch stories are making me feel much better. I just assumed it worked badly because we don't know what the gently caress we're doing with it, in spite of like three different, competent people cracking into it pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

My coworker sucks and it pisses me off!

It's a two person shop and we do network/security system maintenance. The place we take care of is full time work for two people, but you can stay on top of everything and get comfortably ahead without having to pull overtime hours or hauling rear end every day. It's my first IT job and I was hoping to use what I thought would be downtime for cert training and experimenting with the spare gear. My coworker had been working with an experienced tech for most of a year before I started, and was supposed to train me in turn as my supervisor. That training consisted of restart machine -> replace machine -> call vendor for resolution.

So, whatever. I taught myself on the job and she leaned into the shop management side of things. That would have been fine, but even that work has slowed and she's skipping more and more work hours. They're mostly explained absences, but she's got kids and a farm and a husband and they all take precedence over this job. She's in the shop on average 20-25 hours a week, and doesn't do much actual work when she is here. I've tried different approaches to improve her work habits, which will probably make for good interview answers for my next job, but nothing has stuck. I think she just doesn't care about the job and is doing the absolute minimum she can get away with without getting fired.

She had a verbal agreement with management when she started that she could take a few days off in the spring and fall for planting/harvest, but each time it's been nearly a month of physical absence with her spending most of the time bracketing the absence in the shop fielding calls and doing paperwork for her farm instead.

She also has a lot of absences on top of the rest due to illness for either herself or her family, which I sympathize with, but it still has left me holding the bag for months on end, doing emergency call 24/7 and trying to keep the place afloat.

I don't want to play "Who cares less about the job" because she'll win that 100%. I actually like the job itself and enjoy troubleshooting/problem solving. I just don't want to do her job too while she gets paid to do errands for her family. I don't know why corporate is dragging their feet about her. The fudging of numbers alone on her timesheet should be grounds for dismissal. I feel like i've communicated the situation well to all the relevant people but it just drags on and on.

I'm not doing unpaid overtime, but there's always big backlog of stuff to do that I have to put aside to put out fires for the day. All the while my coworker pretends to do our shop paperwork at her desk and fumbles with her phone like a guilty teen caught texting when I walk by.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just got a call from my manager and they want to give me a 20% post-tax effective pay cut as part of my conversion from temp to permanent. 10% under median market for the job I'm doing, 20-25% under median market for the job title I applied for. God loving dammit.

She didn't put it that way, so I'm not sure if she realizes what a massive cut it is. But she might, she seemed very unhappy to be having the conversation.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm getting phone interviews left and right and I've got two companies paying for me to come see them next week but I can't get a single goddamn sniff here. Guess I need to start getting my house ready to sell.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm getting phone interviews left and right and I've got two companies paying for me to come see them next week but I can't get a single goddamn sniff here. Guess I need to start getting my house ready to sell.

Apply for remote jobs!!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just got a call from my manager and they want to give me a 20% post-tax effective pay cut as part of my conversion from temp to permanent. 10% under median market for the job I'm doing, 20-25% under median market for the job title I applied for. God loving dammit.

She didn't put it that way, so I'm not sure if she realizes what a massive cut it is. But she might, she seemed very unhappy to be having the conversation.

Is that counting benefits, PTO, 401K matching, less time filing out timesheets, and the like ? If it is, say no thank you. If not, 'total compensation' is an important concept and has to be considered. And if you were through an agency not 1099, then there's no way you aren't cheaper as a better-paid employee once the agency's cut is factored out. Hell, going permanent should be considered a promotion and paid equivalently.

Time to dust off the ol' resume.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The company has a $0-premium HDHP for employees (like $170/paycheck if you're married, which I will no longer be in a few weeks), but I'm definitely going to hit that deductible fast, it's just that it's still cheaper than paying the premium for the PPO on top of paying for the copays for the PPO.

PTO is "unlimited", which I knew going in just meant they want to keep the liability off the books. At the same time, assuming 4 weeks of PTO, which has been standard at the non-lovely places I've worked either as pooled vacation and sick or separated out totaling 4 weeks, that's still only maybe half of the difference. And that's assuming I take all of it, that would be a good 2-3 weeks of staycations to hit that amount of PTO.

I've reached out to one guy I used to work with, his company is hiring and I know they start at slightly under what I was making hourly but with good benefits, and way over what they're offering now, about 5-10 minutes away from where I'm currently working.

I'm also considering reaching out to another couple of former coworkers, but they're both farther away between 30 minutes to 1 hour farther away, and one of them would be another ERP support job and I don't know if that's what I want to do.

I'm probably going to accept whatever their best offer is either way because it's still way better than what I would be making on unemployment, but depending on how this turns out I might be putting in minimum effort on everything but studying for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate cert.

I know some people here have been in the position to get people on contracts through recruiting firms, is it safe to say that if an employee is making $35/hr you're paying the recruiting agency at least 60-70/hr?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The company has a $0-premium HDHP for employees (like $170/paycheck if you're married, which I will no longer be in a few weeks), but I'm definitely going to hit that deductible fast, it's just that it's still cheaper than paying the premium for the PPO on top of paying for the copays for the PPO.

I can't speak to the other stuff, but are they also offering an HSA along with that HDHP? And if so, do they kick in money to it, or is it all funded by your elected deductions?

Since HSAs are similar to a 401k that you can take with you, it's not worth ignoring if they kick in a significant amount.

Granted, the other stuff like direct compensation will be a larger part of the decision, but it should still be in your benefits-math.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Ah, yes... the personal touch... :rolleyes:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

Ah, yes... the personal touch... :rolleyes:

I'd rather have my steak on a plate instead of in the cloud. It seems to be easier to eat that way.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't mind getting emails that start with "Hello <FIRST_NAME>" because it gives me a bit of amusement before I trash it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But what if you're eating that steak on a private jet that's taking you to an exotic island?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

But what if you're eating that steak on a private jet that's taking you to an exotic island?

Fyre Festival didn't go so well

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Steak as a Server (SaaS) sounds good until you realise they are selling you shared dining and there are a lot of noisy neighbours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'd prefer nobody keep a steak in my butt personally.

They do offer $500 towards my HSA, but I have a medication that is $950 a month even with manufacturer's coupon, so I'm hitting the deductible within a few months between that, my other medications, and doctor visits.

E: And now the recruiter at the staffing agency messages me about conversion salary seeming to think that they were going to offer a number that would be around a $200-300/mo post-tax pay cut, which is a lot more reasonable given the benefits that come with it. So I replied to him explaining the situation, we'll see what comes of that.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 6, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Converting from contract/temp->perm should basically always be a salary increase if you're coming from an agency, yeah?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Converting from contract/temp->perm should basically always be a salary increase if you're coming from an agency, yeah?

Yep, unless you're getting hosed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's funny you say that, because that's been my experience in Colorado, but reading these threads everyone always said that you should expect a pay cut due to getting better benefits. Maybe that was a holdover from pre-Obamacare when staffing agencies didn't offer any health insurance because they weren't legally required to. And all of the above is talking about hourly/salary rate, not total compensation.

I did use the cost of the agency's benefits as part of my argument for going a couple bucks over their stated high end of the wage range when I started, but then I ended up going with the cheaper benefits option they offered that covered less because I was starting in November and there was no way I was getting any use out of a HDHP with a $6k deductible that reset in less than two months.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's funny you say that, because that's been my experience in Colorado, but reading these threads everyone always said that you should expect a pay cut due to getting better benefits. Maybe that was a holdover from pre-Obamacare when staffing agencies didn't offer any health insurance because they weren't legally required to. And all of the above is talking about hourly/salary rate, not total compensation.

I did use the cost of the agency's benefits as part of my argument for going a couple bucks over their stated high end of the wage range when I started, but then I ended up going with the cheaper benefits option they offered that covered less because I was starting in November and there was no way I was getting any use out of a HDHP with a $6k deductible that reset in less than two months.

Yeah, this is nonsense. Even giving the person a 10-20% pay increase and proper benefits, our total cost is always lower due to the fat agency cut.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We use a mobile app for 2FA on our VPN. A workaholic who has been here for over 10 years working 50+ hour weeks said it wasn't working for him and he badly needs VPN access. I checked the logs and he's on an iPhone 6 and the app won't support devices using an EOL'd OS.

He came to see me yesterday and I explained why he can't use the app on his iPhone, which is five years old, has a shattered screen and is slightly bent. Turns out that it's a company phone, so I told him to just request a new phone from the office manager. He's long overdue for one and can probably have a replacement by Monday. He mumbled something about how he wants to be "fiscally responsible" but seemed to understand.

Today I get a voicemail from him (he usually works from home a few days each week) saying that he has some ideas about how to "get around" the problem with the app so he can keep using his old piece of poo poo phone.

I'm not returning that call.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

We use a mobile app for 2FA on our VPN. A workaholic who has been here for over 10 years working 50+ hour weeks said it wasn't working for him and he badly needs VPN access. I checked the logs and he's on an iPhone 6 and the app won't support devices using an EOL'd OS.

He came to see me yesterday and I explained why he can't use the app on his iPhone, which is five years old, has a shattered screen and is slightly bent. Turns out that it's a company phone, so I told him to just request a new phone from the office manager. He's long overdue for one and can probably have a replacement by Monday. He mumbled something about how he wants to be "fiscally responsible" but seemed to understand.

Today I get a voicemail from him (he usually works from home a few days each week) saying that he has some ideas about how to "get around" the problem with the app so he can keep using his old piece of poo poo phone.

I'm not returning that call.

My boss asked me if I had seen an article about soft tokens.
I said "I guarantee you I probably have" so he describes the article to me: "The one that says that all soft tokens are totally insecure and all smartphones are compromised and that there's no safe way to implement 2fa except for hardware tokens?"
I said no, I was thinking of the one that mentioned you shouldn't use a phone with an OS that is out of date.

Turns out it was the same article: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/mobile-auth-app-hack-rsa20

But he's using it as grounds to recommend we discontinue using 2FA.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"I accidentally locked myself out of my house last weekend and called a locksmith. He got through the lock on my front door in 15 seconds, we need to stop locking the office immediately!"

E: the best they say they can do on a conversion from a $35/hr contract is $53,500 per year, with a 5% annual bonus except like 99% of bonuses it's a mix of company and personal performance so lol at counting on that being more than enough to buy a coffee.

Guess it's time for minimum effort, maximum studying. That's the nice thing about this job I guess, about 80% of the time I'm there when barely anyone else is so I can study for hours every day. And like half the people bring in a laptop or tablet for podcasts or videos while they're working since we're 90% reactive in our role. So I can bring in my laptop and work on an AWS cert.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 7, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'd prefer nobody keep a steak in my butt personally.

Steak in the butt tends to have high latency if you're not on fibre.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MEAT LAG :burger:

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Currently working on a dashboard to display data on a tv in the production area.
They don't think histograms are useful and would rather see a (stacked) bar chart.
They don't show direct data according to them.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Pissing me off: The long delayed project that I have been waiting on for almost six months from the other programing team seems like they may have reinvented the wheel for this process. I know RPG isn't the most flexible of languages and I've never seen the code itself but I swear most of the process should already exist.

Not pissing me off: For employee appreciation day, they brought in a large amount of fancy confections from the local place.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have a helpdesk guy who doesn't know a whole lot but thinks he's smarter than everyone, you know the type. He keeps escalating tickets to us (Networking) because he doesn't know how to do the basic device setup he needs to do. We're talking stuff that involves configuring network settings on end user devices, like MFPs. I'm happy to lend a hand where needed, but I have actual work to do besides holding his hand, and if he doesn't know what the settings should be he could maybe pick up the phone and ask instead of just reassigning the ticket to us like "here, do this for me." Or, I don't know, call his boss, who definitely does know what those settings should be, instead. I need him to understand that him not knowing how to do something doesn't make it a network issue.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Maigius posted:

Pissing me off: The long delayed project that I have been waiting on for almost six months from the other programing team seems like they may have reinvented the wheel for this process. I know RPG isn't the most flexible of languages and I've never seen the code itself but I swear most of the process should already exist.

Not pissing me off: For employee appreciation day, they brought in a large amount of fancy confections from the local place.

For employee appreciation day we got a video with really bad greenscreen effects to say they appreciate us and some cheap tablet case things the company probably laying around and wanted to get rid of.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I keep getting little journals and glass water bottles.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
We APPRECIATE YOU!

*Please work until you die TIA

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I just found out from my assistant GM (also my mother :v:) that last month was the first month this branch has turned a profit in a while, to the tune of $30k.

I also found out 2 days ago that after opening a new branch, then moving said new branch to a new location, both branches will officially be merging back to the location I originally started at, and I have no clue how we're going to squeeze accordion/bahama shutter production, pool cage fabrication, and general retail shop work into that space, never mind the offices! :shepicide:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
It is out of your control and someone, somewhere [maybe] has a plan.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the poo pooshow.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I gotta work from home for at least 2 weeks probably because of some virus that basically amounts to a cold if you have a healthy immune system and someone has a family member who was in contact with someone who contracted it. I understand that these quarantines are to protect people who are more vulnerable, but I really despise working from home.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I'm working on a plan right now to give out laptops to "essential" employees who will need to VPN in during a shutdown of indeterminate time (2 - 4 weeks or longer)

I am trying to figure out the best way to disinfect these petri-dishes when they come back? I know that isopropyl should do it, but I have heard that it can yellow / hurt displays or remove anti-glare coatings (haven't done it myself in about 4 years).

Aside from setting them all on fire when they get back, do you all have any procedures that would work?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Agrikk posted:

It is out of your control and someone, somewhere [maybe] has a plan.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the poo pooshow.

Y'know, that's just the thing. Nobody ever has a loving plan; literally the AGM and I are the only two people that don't rush into poo poo headlong. The proposed timeline for this was the end of March - now it's the end of April.

I understand why. Rent on $original_location is $5k a month, $sister_branch is $7k a month. However $original_location also was running groundwater from a pump in the back and has nowhere to dispose of scrap metal and poo poo at the moment. This is supposed to be resolved, as the building owner (the original owner of the company, as a matter of fact) is putting in city water, removing the pump and dumpster for a roll-on/roll-off dumpster, and blacktopping part of the side of the building for additional parking and a scrap bin. Hopefully this also resolves the issue of the side of the building being a mud pit after approximately 3 drops of rain (which resulted in my sliding into a coworker's vehicle and still owing him $20 for the taillight).

:munch: Luckily I'm 90% remote.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Joda posted:

I gotta work from home for at least 2 weeks probably because of some virus that basically amounts to a cold if you have a healthy immune system and someone has a family member who was in contact with someone who contracted it. I understand that these quarantines are to protect people who are more vulnerable, but I really despise working from home.

ok boomer

Seriously though, it's two weeks to help protect the elderly and vulnerable, please use that as your perspective.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

ok boomer

Seriously though, it's two weeks to help protect the elderly and vulnerable, please use that as your perspective.

I know, I'm just venting

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ptier posted:

I'm working on a plan right now to give out laptops to "essential" employees who will need to VPN in during a shutdown of indeterminate time (2 - 4 weeks or longer)

I am trying to figure out the best way to disinfect these petri-dishes when they come back? I know that isopropyl should do it, but I have heard that it can yellow / hurt displays or remove anti-glare coatings (haven't done it myself in about 4 years).

Aside from setting them all on fire when they get back, do you all have any procedures that would work?

Leave them on a shelf for a couple of weeks?

quote:

A study published this week in the Journal of Hospital Infection looked at the lifespans of other coronaviruses found in humans on various surfaces. The SARS coronavirus — at a temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) — lasts for two days on steel; four days on wood and glass; and five days on metal, plastic, and ceramics. (The researchers also found that one strain of SARS lasted up to nine days on a plastic surface at room temperature.)

SARS only survives between two and eight hours on aluminum, and less than eight hours on latex.
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-long-can-coronavirus-live-on-surfaces-how-to-disinfect-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Perfect. Yea that was my first thought, but it was more of a "reckon" and didn't want to put it in official documentation until I could verify.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ptier posted:

Perfect. Yea that was my first thought, but it was more of a "reckon" and didn't want to put it in official documentation until I could verify.

Thank you!

The CDC (or equivalent) in your country issues advice that you can cut and paste into yor documentation if you want a nice, official primary source.

Personally speaking, I'd just drench everything in alcohol and leave it for a few days. If anything breaks, just shrug your shoulders and request replacements, saving you were following govt advice.