Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Good twists remain untold because people want to share the joy. Bad twists get spoiled because people want to share the disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

iirc the weather and the lack of a boat prevent you from getting there sooner

I can't say I got the impression that the former was an obstacle in any way and as for the latter, there are at least two different people that could help you with that, that are available throughout most of the game, and there's no option to even ask them about it.
I think I wouldn't have minded if there was just an option available to ask for their help even if they just denied you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

iirc the weather and the lack of a boat prevent you from getting there sooner

I bet I could ramp it

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Jack Trades posted:

One big thing plot thing I really didn't like about the game, and it's probably one of the extremely few badly designed parts of the game, is that despite the ballistics Visual Calculus check that you do in the apartment letting you pretty easily figure out that the shot was coming from the island, way before the Tribunal, you can't actually go there until you reach a designated part of the story. With no real explanation, there's just no option for it. Unless I just missed it somehow.

I know that it would be really difficult to fix that plotpoint without sacrificing the rest of the story so I don't really fault ZA/UM for doing that, but it was definitely a part that worsened my detective-ing experience a bit.

you're told the weather is too poo poo to make the trip until the point of no return with ruby and the tribunal. whether that's actually good i guess is up to anyone's personal preference though yeah the game kind of pushes you to solve the murder asap when you can actually take all the time you want and the mechanics actually make more sense when you know that.

first time i solved everything by like day 5(7 or whatever) but second i took like twice the time just chilling and doing every side quests to no detriment

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack Trades posted:

I can't say I got the impression that the former was an obstacle in any way and as for the latter, there are at least two different people that could help you with that, that are available throughout most of the game, and there's no option to even ask them about it.
I think I wouldn't have minded if there was just an option available to ask for their help even if they just denied you.

You and Kim both state that it's a very slim chance that's where it came from, so there's no reason to go there until you've exhausted the other, greater, possibilities that are closer to where you are. It makes sense that they wouldn't even ask for a boat, it's a long shot that they'll only use when they run out of options.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah as you go through the dialogue pre-tribunal Harry says it's a very slim chance, and he's just trying to be thorough. I don't know what happens if you arrest Klaasje, but if you don't she leaves you a ballistics clue that makes certain that the shot came from the islet.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
also the boat you end up using is under repairs until after the tribunal

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
The only thing that really bugs me is constantly double clicking to run. Love the rest.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Spun Dog posted:

The only thing that really bugs me is constantly double clicking to run. Love the rest.

didnt they update that so you can hold to run?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

TommyGun85 posted:

didnt they update that so you can hold to run?

Yup. The amount of clicking was harking back to Diablo 1 levels for me too before the patch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Spun Dog posted:

Just don't run then. Walk and take it slooooow, and coooool. Jazzy.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

alternatively cheat engine speedhack does wonders

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Spun Dog posted:

I think that got patched

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Oh, I'll have to check that, thanks.

chaosapiant posted:

Just don't run then. Walk and take it slooooow, and coooool. Jazzy.

My detective does way too much speed for that

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep seeing people say they should have arrested K. I'm a bit confused by this. At the point you can arrest her, all you know is she was there when someone was shot and may have been involved with a cover-up. You know she isn't the murderer and you only have he said she said evidence on her role in the hanging.

What am I missing? Why should she have been arrested when you know she isn't the killer and you are seeking the killer?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Turns out covering up a murder and loving with the body to make it harder for police and then constantly lying to them is a crime.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Before the point of no return, you can ask Lillien for a ride, but she says no due to the water being too dangerous for her little boat at the time.

I didn't try asking Joyce, but I bet there's a similar conceit, like her boat can't get to the pier with all the ice out there due to its size or something.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

What am I missing? Why should she have been arrested when you know she isn't the killer and you are seeking the killer?

She commits a crime by interfering with the investigation, both by tampering with the corpse and lying during the run-around with the Hardies. It's like Cuno being obviously high and throwing rocks at the body. It's not necessarily your job to arrest her, but as a cop you can make the call to do so. With Cuno, Kim will immediately stop you if talk about it because it doesn't matter and there's a corpse staring at you, but with Klaasje she is actively loving with your poo poo and is a flight risk.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

At some point you can ask "Kim, why haven't we arrested her yet?" and Kim has no clue. Arresting her is the right and professional thing to do.

Edit:

as for specific reasons:
    Tampering with a body.
    Covering up a murder.
    Interfering with a time-critical murder investigation.
    Endangering the lives of everybody in the docks.
    Potentially leading to Ruby's death by sic'ing the cops on her.

If she hadn't done all of that then you'd have found a way to get to the Island instantly because you wouldn't be wasting time chasing false leads. You'd be able find the Deserter and bring him to justice, preventing The Tribunal.

And of course there's her being an awful manipulative person that uses people as chess pieces. But that's not a crime, it's just disgusting.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 6, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

itry posted:

At some point you can ask "Kim, why haven't we arrested her yet?" and Kim has no clue. Arresting her is the right and professional thing to do.

Edit:

as for specific reasons:
    Tampering with a body.
    Covering up a murder.
    Interfering with a time-critical murder investigation.
    Endangering the lives of everybody in the docks.
    Potentially leading to Ruby's death by sic'ing the cops on her.

If she hadn't done all of that then you'd have found a way to get to the Island instantly because you wouldn't be wasting time chasing false leads. You'd be able find the Deserter and bring him to justice, preventing The Tribunal.

And of course there's her being an awful manipulative person that uses people as chess pieces. But that's not a crime, it's just disgusting.

Yeah, she has a lot of blood on her hands. The blood of basically OK people she manipulated.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entorwellian posted:

Yup. The amount of clicking was harking back to Diablo 1 levels for me too before the patch.

I love that at one point Kim comments about how impressive it is that you're able to sprint everywhere considering the shabby state of your body.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Honestly who gives a poo poo about somebody breaking "The Law". Being the MC of DE gives you the opportunity to make the right decisions for everyone. And to have it stick because most people respect you for being "A Cop."

Theres a lot of self righteousness in this thread RE: Klassje. Handing Klassje over to the moralintern is objectively the wrong thing to do. Why? Because shes probably mostly telling you the truth once you've confronted her with evidence. By arresting her you are murdering her for... Tampering with a body and making sure she has her hands clean. No one can point at her and say "This was her fault kill her." Thats why she does what she does, she doesn't know if Lely was killed just to send a message to her, she doesn't know anything about the elderly drugged up communist watching her every move. Yes shes dishonest, yes shes a party girl and yes she is on a self destructive downward slide and probably taking a few people with her. But that doesn't make her someone deserving of being murdered by the Moralintern. Are you an upstanding member of the Revachol Citizens Militia or are you a bag man for international capital?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

Honestly who gives a poo poo about somebody breaking "The Law". Being the MC of DE gives you the opportunity to make the right decisions for everyone. And to have it stick because most people respect you for being "A Cop."

Theres a lot of self righteousness in this thread RE: Klassje. Handing Klassje over to the moralintern is objectively the wrong thing to do. Why? Because shes probably mostly telling you the truth once you've confronted her with evidence. By arresting her you are murdering her for... Tampering with a body and making sure she has her hands clean. No one can point at her and say "This was her fault kill her." Thats why she does what she does, she doesn't know if Lely was killed just to send a message to her, she doesn't know anything about the elderly drugged up communist watching her every move. Yes shes dishonest, yes shes a party girl and yes she is on a self destructive downward slide and probably taking a few people with her. But that doesn't make her someone deserving of being murdered by the Moralintern. Are you an upstanding member of the Revachol Citizens Militia or are you a bag man for international capital?

this is not a correct interpretation of her chara ter and it is all part of her manipulation. I do agree arresting her is wrong though as you are a homicide detective.

Klassje is a spy hired by Evrart to encite violence between the dockworkers and the mercs. She uses the murder as an opportunity which is why she tampers with the body and manipulates the Hardies. She tries to play herself as a victim. She doesnt care about Lely or the Hardies and she escapes once her work is done. Shes a good corporate spy.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

Ok, if you want to talk objective morality, let’s talk cause and effect:

Klassje has, through her actions, caused the death a dozen people, including the suicide of a relative innocent. It was her obstruction of justice which directly led to the tribunal. The moral dilemma we are forced to reckon with is fairly artificial: Should she die, or will we allow her to kill again? In a just world, she could be imprisoned, but we are not allowed that simple answer.

So, if we assume she will continue to act as she has in the past, and we assume that she will cause the death of at least one more innocent person through her manipulation and deception, it is an objectively moral decision to arrest her even if we know she will die as a result.

Can I just say how great a game this is for it to elicit such a debate?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Klaasje is the trolley problem with a body count

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Klaasje is the trolley.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TommyGun85 posted:

this is not a correct interpretation of her chara ter and it is all part of her manipulation. I do agree arresting her is wrong though as you are a homicide detective.

Klassje is a spy hired by Evrart to encite violence between the dockworkers and the mercs. She uses the murder as an opportunity which is why she tampers with the body and manipulates the Hardies. She tries to play herself as a victim. She doesnt care about Lely or the Hardies and she escapes once her work is done. Shes a good corporate spy.

At what point in the game does it say she was hired by evrart? Because I never got that. Also, the thread seems to be missing that being a cop is not a good thing. Cops in real life are mostly aforementioned bag men for capital. DE lets you live the fantasy of "being a good cop" like in a movie or a tv show or a video game. Not in real life. Same way the RCM existing at all is fantastical.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ok, if you want to talk objective morality, let’s talk cause and effect:

Klassje has, through her actions, caused the death a dozen people, including the suicide of a relative innocent. It was her obstruction of justice which directly led to the tribunal. The moral dilemma we are forced to reckon with is fairly artificial: Should she die, or will we allow her to kill again? In a just world, she could be imprisoned, but we are not allowed that simple answer.

So, if we assume she will continue to act as she has in the past, and we assume that she will cause the death of at least one more innocent person through her manipulation and deception, it is an objectively moral decision to arrest her even if we know she will die as a result.

Can I just say how great a game this is for it to elicit such a debate?

My problem with this response is you don't know if she will kill again you can't say for sure but somehow people are ok with taking action against her that leads to her death.

I do think Klassje has been written as an overtly classic femme fatale, but the difference in DE is that her fate is in your hands by the end of things. Because the femme fatale always gets away with it, we have a bunch of people in the thread saying no gently caress her time to face the music. When Klassje facing the music is of no benefit to anyone. You can rationalise it by saying that you will be protecting people from her in the future. But there is absolutely nothing that tells us she will always be this way and that she can't change. Mirroring harrys personal journey as the game continues.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

At what point in the game does it say she was hired by evrart? Because I never got that. Also, the thread seems to be missing that being a cop is not a good thing. Cops in real life are mostly aforementioned bag men for capital. DE lets you live the fantasy of "being a good cop" like in a movie or a tv show or a video game. Not in real life. Same way the RCM existing at all is fantastical.

My problem with this response is you don't know if she will kill again you can't say for sure but somehow people are ok with taking action against her that leads to her death.

I do think Klassje has been written as an overtly classic femme fatale, but the difference in DE is that her fate is in your hands by the end of things. Because the femme fatale always gets away with it, we have a bunch of people in the thread saying no gently caress her time to face the music. When Klassje facing the music is of no benefit to anyone. You can rationalise it by saying that you will be protecting people from her in the future. But there is absolutely nothing that tells us she will always be this way and that she can't change. Mirroring harrys personal journey as the game continues.

Absolutely agree, she doesnt deserve arrest.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

I did not see any evidence of this in game. But I’ve also only done a single play through. Could you show me why you’re drawing this conclusion.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Also, she had absolutely nothing to do with the death of the mercenary. She was just there when the shooter decided to be crazy again, and panicked.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

I did not see any evidence of this in game. But I’ve also only done a single play through. Could you show me why you’re drawing this conclusion.

mainly her motives for doing what she did, but if you give me some time I will provide a list of her (and other's actions) which lead me to this conclusion.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

i am basing her future actions on her past actions. I do not believe it is a distant leap to assume that the person responsible for multiple deaths over a long career of espionage will continue that pattern when there is no penalty for those actions. Why would she stop?

As an aside, I do believe that her gender is coloring our judgement of her. If the mercenary was the one arrested, and she were dead, some would be perfectly fine killing him. However, she is as much a mercenary as he is. They are both employed by the same company, and both of their actions result in the death of innocents. One uses a gun, and the other deception.

However, I believe that you are making an “all cops are evil” argument, I just don’t think is entirely relevant. I believe that the question we are posing here is “is it ok to try and stop a murderer through lethal penalty if we have no other choice?” and your response seems to be “we should not be capable of punishing her in the first place” to which I categorically disagree. Perhaps it should be the Hardie boys dispensing punishment, but the point stands: she is a danger to society and must be stopped.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's unfortunate that merely by virtue of having the POV character be a cop, even a game as skeptical and critical of cops as DE can lead to people suffering from cop brain

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Klassje deserves to be arrested for tampering and falsely implicating an innocent person for murder. But that wouldn't be why she'd be killed. She'd be killed for being a spy that she basically admits has caused other people to be killed. Assuming that you feel "Having killed others and will likely kill again" is a valid state for capital punishment then Klassje fits that bill.

That said I let her go because I was trying to avoid the exact situation that ended up happening at the Tribunal but what the gently caress do I know

itry
Aug 23, 2019

She didn't panic, she was calm and calculated. And we only have her assertion that she will be killed when caught, and almost everything she says is a self-serving lie.
We don't know what the people in the Shiver check are going to do, just that they're there (iirc).

Saying that, I did not arrest her on my first playthrough.

If the PC has the authority to do anything about it at all is a different argument.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

wiegieman posted:

Also, she had absolutely nothing to do with the death of the mercenary. She was just there when the shooter decided to be crazy again, and panicked.

Panicked so much she trussed him up to the shower so that lividity would match a hanging. Whatta scatterbtain.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 6, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

itry posted:

She didn't panic, she was calm and calculated. And we only have her assertion that she will be killed when caught, and almost everything she says is a self-serving lie.
We don't know what the people in the Shiver check are going to do, just that they're there (iirc).

Saying that, I did not arrest her on my first playthrough.

If the PC has the authority to do anything about it at all is a different argument.

Me neither. I believed her lies, and was genuinely surprised when she fled. Maybe that colors my opinion of what she “deserves”, but it is a further example of her escaping any liability and continuing her pattern of manipulation.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's unfortunate that merely by virtue of having the POV character be a cop, even a game as skeptical and critical of cops as DE can lead to people suffering from cop brain

moralists itt

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Me neither. I believed her lies, and was genuinely surprised when she fled. Maybe that colors my opinion of what she “deserves”, but it is a further example of her escaping any liability and continuing her pattern of manipulation.

My Harry was able to see through her (initial) lies, but I still kept an open mind about the Ruby lead. I thought I'd decide whether to arrest her or not after I follow through with it (and didn't for obvious reasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

moralists itt

Can someone explain what was meant by a moralist in the game? It went right over my head