Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

JcDent posted:

If the heart is missing, can we find it and turn into a treasure?
I think that is completely exploded. Arcanuse is stronger than any heart demon ever existed.

Organ isn’t a droppable item except one that only Hats can produce. That can be refine to treasure.

Edit: some animal does drop organ for their medicinal purposes.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Wait, so are you really saying because you fed the snake pear soup Cyflan's heart exploded so catastrophically there isn't a trace of it left?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Pharnakes posted:

Wait, so are you really saying because you fed the snake pear soup Cyflan's heart exploded so catastrophically there isn't a trace of it left?
Narratively speaking, yes.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
"Here, have this pear soup."

"The gently caress is this poo poo? I curse your heart to explode!"

"HURK!" :insert messy heart explosion here:

"...Not who I was going for, but you get the idea!"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Narratively speaking, yes.

But you also said that mechanically speaking every room has lost harmony, not just the feng shui nightmare room? Why did that happen? and was that what pushed Cyflan's room over the edge into murder room territory?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Well that sure happened.

I'm sure my character would appreciate being Made into farm fertilizer, if that's an actual option, considering how little she actually accomplished here.

About the graveyard location, I'm not really sure where would be a good place.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
This game is wild

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Pharnakes posted:

But you also said that mechanically speaking every room has lost harmony, not just the feng shui nightmare room?
Yes, just not with the snake... unless damaged building can damage feng shui? I don’t know why it affected every room. Maybe some sort of construction accident, that melancholic wave, or overall sect feng shui impact.

quote:

and was that what pushed Cyflan's room over the edge into murder room territory?
Cyflan’s room have it worst due to it being the only room with feng shui leak penalty and pushed it into ominous fortune. Each house can only have one door to keep the feng shui in. We can tank that penalty with really nice house, but not with that hut.

Everyone else still have little auspicious, so they are fine.

Except for Hats’ room. I will talk about that in the next update. He is mentally unstable now. :ohdear:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nyaa posted:

Yes, just not with the snake... unless damaged building can damage feng shui? I don’t know why it affected every room. Maybe some sort of construction accident, that melancholic wave, or overall sect feng shui impact.

Weather/events definitely can cause Feng Shui changes. I was playing this morning and noticed that all of my Very Auspicious earth-walls-and-metal-room-focus rooms had dropped to Auspicious but all of my wooden external workshops had jumped up a tier. It was heavily snowing at the time, and sure enough, when the snow stopped, the Feng Shui reverted to its standard state.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

JcDent posted:

Ok, whose holy poop is it? Like, who produced it?

The snake would seem to be the obvious choice.

Just... not until after the Pear Soup Curse has run its course.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Zurai posted:

Weather/events definitely can
I see. Then it should be the melancholy wave that happen after I planted bad flower under The Snake. :gonk:

Quantum Toast posted:

The snake would seem to be the obvious choice.
I might be wrong, but The Snake might be too aggressively busy to produce anything.

Maybe after it is tamed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nyaa posted:

Maybe some sort of construction accident
I read that as a constriction accident. You know, because snakes.

It made so much more sense.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Once again, Daoist SaffronKit greets fellow goons of the dao to join this little one in sharing my insights into today's topic The Dao, what it is, and what it means to cultivation novels. I reiterate that these are simply my own views on the topic and can only hope that it may provide some insight to those new to this wonderful world of cultivation. For those already knowledgeable, this little one invites you to share your own insights for any points you believe I may have skipped, missed, or are just generally unaware of. Now to the topic at hand.

The Dao

There are myriad (many) dao, but there is only one Dao. The Grand Dao is the essence of the universe which encompasses all things living and natural. Animals, rocks, plants, stars, anything that lies within and between the heavens and earth. Many daos (paths) can lead to the Dao with some dao taking one further than others more or less easily depending upon said dao. The dao (road) to the Dao is lonely and ultimately, others cannot accompany you on that journey as their dao (road) will never be the same. That is the Dao.

So what the gently caress does that mean and how the hell is it relevant to cultivation novels? In cultivation novels you'll see the term dao a lot, and generally it can be broken down into two different types: Big D and little d. In any xianxia novel, if someone is talking about big D you can expect it to be referencing the big goal that everyone has to aim for, or some world defining law that is immutable. This type of Dao can be literal Heavenly Daos; basically a form of impartial (or not) natural laws that govern how their world works, (try) keep the world in balance, and guide/test cultivators as they ascend closer to the Dao. Other times it can be a widely accepted path to the Grand Dao that every cultivator agrees is such a broad category it deserves the big D treatment. Pill/Alchemy Dao, Martial Dao and Sword Dao are going to be the big three contenders for this sort of big D use in most novels.

The little d use is typically for a cultivator's personal dao or any subset of the Big D paths when speaking in general terms. Specific techniques, minor paths that no one takes seriously or just general referential discussion that doesn't involve Heavenly/Grand Dao are where this is typically used. The main difference of Big D and little d to me is simply a sort of proper noun vs adjective use, and you pick up pretty quick which one is appropriate just by reading xianxia. As a whole dao is a pretty intuitive word and typically one will come up with their own meaning for it, which is sort of the point in my mind. You will see it a LOT in cultivation novels to no one's surprise and it will typically be a main goal or subject that gets discussed on the regular.

But how is that relevant to the game???

The Dao is kind of the whole point of this game! By nature of being a game about cultivators and cultivation, our assumed win condition is to literally reach the Dao by ascending to the peak of cultivation. Whether or not we can accomplish that is a different story, but suffice to say you could define playing this game as a form of dao in which the goal is to reach the Dao. Yes, this amuses me on many levels.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If it helps any, it's like the difference between truth and The Truth. It's one of those concepts you'll see pop up almost equally in Western fiction and Western nonfiction, because the basic concept works both as a matter of fantasy and a matter of philosophy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dao doesn't feel like a word anymore.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cardiovorax posted:

If it helps any, it's like the difference between truth and The Truth. It's one of those concepts you'll see pop up almost equally in Western fiction and Western nonfiction, because the basic concept works both as a matter of fantasy and a matter of philosophy.

Pretty much, yeah. After reading a lot of xianxia I consider the idea in western fiction a bit limited, where the concept of Dao feels much broader? Might just be all the massive history behind it talking though, or just personal preference. Mostly the latter really.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Dao doesn't feel like a word anymore.

You ain't wrong.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
As an outsider offering a suggestion: Don't gently caress with Male Snake. Any slights made against him must be corrected with a greater offering.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SaffronKit posted:

Pretty much, yeah. After reading a lot of xianxia I consider the idea in western fiction a bit limited, where the concept of Dao feels much broader? Might just be all the massive history behind it talking though, or just personal preference. Mostly the latter really.
When I was younger, I was a bit interested in Eastern philosophy, enough to read a solid portion of the Pali canon and things like the Tao Te Ching. If the Eastern take does feel more... developed, that's because it is. Western philosophy gave up on the holistic approach fairly early and made a point of developing its positions on the specifics instead of trying to develop one thing that covered all the ideas involved. I don't think Eastern philosophi has a real equivalent to concepts like Epistemology, for example, because the ideas bleed into each other more, which is at times an advantage and at times not.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

After consulting with various Feng Shui experts about Cyflan’s death, we now have an inkling of the cause.

It all started in our recklessness after obtaining the great force of nature known as Feng Shui Snake.

We wanted to make use of its power to grants us the blessing of nature, and so we started experimenting it. Trying to bring hope under the angry snake was a bad idea.

Hope + Anger = Sad. The result wasn’t desirable when one goes against the natural order of elements.

So we learned the proper way of the world. For a time, life is good as we kept the angry snake fed with beef while it frolics under the angry fire flowers.

That is until the recent shortage of food. We ran out of beef, so we tried to be cheap and fed the awful water elemental Pear Soup to The Snake.

This foolishness come with a tragic cost: It have become a life and death matter.

The situation was so grave that even our sect master’s room got a big hole on the wall out of nowhere, and this is clearly a heavenly warning before the death of our Cyflan.

Feeling the sense of ‘homelessness’ and insecurity of who cracked a huge hole on the wall, sect master Hats falls into deep anxiety.

It’s like his heart is being drown and constrict by a demon.

Not knowing what to do, he can only indulge himself in entertainment and hope for the wave of sorrowful atmosphere to pass.

But it has only gotten worst.

As such, sect master Hats declares Sect of Emergency to actively combat this Malevolent Atmosphere Pear Soup Curse.

Everyone is now tasked to building duty in order to help fix our Heartbreaking Doom House Feng Shui.

Hats then swiftly get the hell out leaves our Pear Soup Curse Zone to get more beef to appease the Feng Shui snake.

But first, we must give Cyflan a proper send off to the spiritual world.

Our mass apprehension of the curse has attracted a passerby who is wondering why everyone is in a panic breaking down houses and rebuilding it with slight difference.

But everyone are too busy combating the curse to chat with her. Perhaps Hats will return in time to take care of this sightseer.

So busy that everyone almost forgot to give Cyflan a proper send off.

There we go.

We know you would want to become a fertilizer that keeps your sect brother and sister from starving to death.

Your room have been renovated to only have one door to stop the Feng Shui leak, and removed a bed to solve the clutter space issue. It is surprising to see how easy for this to result in an auspicious room that promotes restful sleep with good dream!

In fact, our overall Sect Feng Shui just went up a grade into Cultivation Treasure Land. This is certainly a good sign that we are earning the good grace of the world.

All of these 3x3 single person room shall now be the standard for all students to enjoy. In fact, the new one will have brick wall and iron bed!

However, we need one more furnace to keep up with the brick production of both mason workshop.

Maybe three furnaces to keep up…

To keep morale strong, our chefs will put in extra efforts on the meal for these few monotonous days to come. Slaan will be relieved from this duty.

Speaking of food, our curious guest is getting starved while Hats is still a long way from home. We can’t have her stand there for a whole night like that. Let’s invite her to become a student.

Braze Dragon and Kidz bopnightcore are second to Hats in the art of persuasion.

In respect to gender equality, Blaze Dragon will be the one to coax her into the Cult of Bèn.

*Gasp* A female turtle few feet behind them had taken a huge crap! The smell is going to ruin the persuasive atmosphere!

Another female turtle is hugging the crap! Does that mean I should had sent Kidz bopnightcore to do it!?

Nevermind, Blaze Dragon sweet-talked her into the cult.

Welcome, Kaja! You are a musical genius and veterinarian! Awesome! The great force of Feng Shui must have guided you here to serve The Snake!

She has great potential for creating quality items, and that makes her the top chef along with Happerry!

You can rest in peace, Cyflan. Everything is going so well with the positive Feng Shui that I am sure the farm is spiritually comfortable.

In fact, everyone are in full fervor of making sure they never have to meet the same fate as you.

Now that our Feng Shui curse have been lifted, Radio Free Kobold will resume building his foundation to the point that he can handle qi within his body without exploding.

As the body fills with these wonderful Qi, it will expel impurities that is said to go beyond one’s physique and the cultivator might even shank a bit from the great discharge of purification.

Contrary to the current topic, Hats is bringing home a lot of boar meat. We need to tell Kaja to not cook these tribute for The Snake.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 7, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it a coincidence that animals are arriving at our place that is becoming a better place of cultivation?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
IRL I am deaf so I love that I'm apparently a musical genius in this game. It's hilarious. Anyways I look forward to serving the sect and hopefully not dying a tragic death

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kaja Rainbow posted:

IRL I am deaf so I love that I'm apparently a musical genius in this game. It's hilarious. Anyways I look forward to serving the sect and hopefully not dying a tragic death

You wouldn't be the first deaf musical genius in history.

...Or would you? I'm genuinely unsure of the time period this game is meant to be taking place in. It seems pretty far in the past.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You wouldn't be the first deaf musical genius in history.

...Or would you? I'm genuinely unsure of the time period this game is meant to be taking place in. It seems pretty far in the past.
It's year 246.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is it a coincidence that animals are arriving at our place that is becoming a better place of cultivation?
Animal do respawn at certain rate. Better cultivation place could affect it, but I am not completely sure. I do know the increase in Qi density of the land can change a few things.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
The one deaf musical genius I know of became deaf later in his life. But anyways I wonder what exciting death I will suffer

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Iceblocks, whatever is fine. I have been eyeing the Xianxia fro a while, but never really sat down with a story yet.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I just noticed I'm not on the signup list, I guess that's kind of my fault for not bolding my name, so here's Boksi so you'll notice it. Or I guess something like Bo Xi might work as a more setting-appropriate name?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Today is the real beginning of our communal life.

Everyone gets to eat normal food together and have time for casual conversations.

The cycle of Feng Shui is in harmony and the sect is at peace.

As peaceful as Cyflan who is harmonizing with the earth and wheat.

We may not be a great city or village yet, but we can claim to have a society.

Another male snake! But… it’s a male, that won’t be good for gender equality if we were to pay double attention to both snake! Or should we kill it like the one-door per house situation?

Let’s play it safe by building another orrery to see how it goes.

Moment after the orrery building order was issued, our main snake starved into coma again.

After a brief but nerve-racking amount of time later, Hats managed to bring home the boar meat tribute just in time.

Slaan apologizes to The Snake for the Pear Soup she made and feed it boar meat.

The other snake was impatient and attacked anonymousidiot.

Knowing that we need the snake for superstitious reason, the mysterious elder held back a little this time.

Less chop off and more shredded to 7 Cun (23cm, 9 inches).

Anonymousidiot, on the other hand, was constricted on the throat. Oof!

This must be another special snake if it knows how to wrap on a human neck! Commence fencing procedure!

Half a minutes later, the mysterious elder believes the blessing of two snakes are powerful enough to keep the sect safe.

Thank you, elder. For saving us from one wolf, and two snakes.

Thanks for everything.

From here on out, everyone will have to defend for themselves with these used weapon we found on rotting bodies, but we are running out of bodies.

We could… take the spear from Cyflan, but that would be disrespectful.

Woah! I didn’t know passerby we hired gets a bio for news gathering purpose!

We get all info out of Kaja when we hired her.

:stare:

Since Kaja likes Chakram, we will make one for her.

18 boar meat left, which mean each snake ate about 10. That’s a huge consumption!

*sigh* Hats, we must trouble you to get more meat to appease these special snake.

Oh ho! The scraps are done! We can now make floors and roofs!

There are many floor designs that we can choose, and we will try out all of them with each room!

Blaze Dragon is really bad at building though, so he will be off the builder list.

After all, we must hold up to sect master Hats' expectation. He will be happy to see his new professionally-made brown rock floor when he returns.

Together with a paved path that lead to our sect stone with decorative pedestal.

We are still working on getting the second display item preserved since they melt as quick as ice.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 7, 2020

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Snake pls don't kill me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Wait, wait, wait, so the snake has actual gameplay purpose and isn't just a thread meme?

E:

ACS Dev#1: You know what our Xianxia RimWorld game about cultivation needs?
ACS Dev#2: A dragon?
ACS Dev#1: Well, yes, naturally, but there's another thing missing from RimWorld that the genre requires.
ACS Dev#2: And what would that be?
ACS Dev#1: Poop.
ACS Dev#2: Ah, the master speaks again. Truly we are blessed to follow your lead as outer students.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 7, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Honestly this thread is really highlighting why I both love and hate these sorts of simulator games. I love the insane stories and in game roleplay you can come up with, but hate all faff attached to doing it myself. The fact this is xianxia cultivation simulator is making it really hard not to buy it though cause it looks so drat fun and has so many tropes in it already and we're just scratching the surface. Kudos to Nyaa for really selling this and doing a bunch of the translation!

While I'm not a part of our "sect" yet, I vote we murder off second male snake before a schism occurs that tears us apart. There is only one true Male Snake!

(Write up in a few hours, forgive me dao brothers and sisters)

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Can we use Sunflower Refining Law to turn our Male Snake into a Female Snake?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

JcDent posted:

Wait, wait, wait, so the snake has actual gameplay purpose and isn't just a thread meme?
For Feng Shui, It's the latter. Some other gameplay purpose does ties to it. :ssh:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Nyaa posted:

For Feng Shui, It's the latter. Some other gameplay purpose does ties to it. :ssh:

Wait, is the snake useful for body cultivation or some similar nonsense if you have it bite people repeatedly and in controlled circumstances?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nyaa posted:

Blaze Dragon is really bad at building though,

Ah, just like real life.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I for one am pleased by my tragic and bloody past

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I also checked the "Meat for the Outer Student Grinder" list and wanted to remind y'all that I volunteered to be on it:

JcDent posted:

In any case, I'd like to wander into your sect and to learn all about the cultivars* that you have. I'm a farmboy from faraway land by the name of Guy Low

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

Honestly this thread is really highlighting why I both love and hate these sorts of simulator games. I love the insane stories and in game roleplay you can come up with, but hate all faff attached to doing it myself. The fact this is xianxia cultivation simulator is making it really hard not to buy it though cause it looks so drat fun and has so many tropes in it already and we're just scratching the surface. Kudos to Nyaa for really selling this and doing a bunch of the translation!

While I'm not a part of our "sect" yet, I vote we murder off second male snake before a schism occurs that tears us apart. There is only one true Male Snake!

(Write up in a few hours, forgive me dao brothers and sisters)

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't entirely in Chinese.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe it will be in English in half a year.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

JcDent posted:

I also checked the "Meat for the Outer Student Grinder" list and wanted to remind y'all that I volunteered to be on it:
Added to proper order.

Gantolandon posted:

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't entirely in Chinese.
The full English Ver by dev will be out sometime this year. It is handle by actual professional xianxia novelists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Nyaa posted:

The full English Ver by dev will be out sometime this year. It is handle by actual professional xianxia novelists.

That's great news! I will be following its development.