Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

davidspackage posted:

The comic where Beef gets a call from Ray in the middle of the night, and Beef's first thought is "Showbiz died" speaks to me very strongly.

There was a phrase Beef used once about Showbiz - something like, "I wish I had more brothers so less of them would be you" or something like that. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Necronomicon posted:

There was a phrase Beef used once about Showbiz - something like, "I wish I had more brothers so less of them would be you" or something like that. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Can't find this for the life of me and it's going to drive me crazy.

gently caress you! Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!

POW!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

That and any time he finds Ray fall-down, passed-out drunk.

Things ain't never the same once you've seen another dude's stew.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Angry_Ed posted:

That and any time he finds Ray fall-down, passed-out drunk.

THERE COMES A TIME

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

JethroMcB posted:

Can't find this for the life of me and it's going to drive me crazy.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07292016

I knew it was near the end when Showbiz looked Old.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Drink Recipe: "Da Brooklyn Cocktail"
© 2004 Raymond Smuckles

4 oz domestic draft beer, chilled
1 olive-size ball of fresh buffalo mozzarella (bocconcini size)
Toothpick

Put the mozzarella onto the toothpick. Pour the beer into a martini glass. Put the toothpick into the beer. Welcome to Brooklyn.

Deathlove posted:

Ahhh, I was searching around Beef's Wedding because I figured the sentiment would've come up around the time he got him arrested on purpose.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Let's go to a nude beach, man! Seriously!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't think anyone wants to end up ÆrosThriceChastened in here

Fare thee... not well, Cymulon. Fare thee not well.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle got postponed due to The Virus, so Oni Press threw up a shop to advertise what would've otherwise been con exclusives.

https://onipress.com/collections/emerald-city-comic-con

Couple of nice Achewood items in there, even if they're too rich for my blood.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't think anyone wants to end up ÆrosThriceChastened in here

I like to think that dude retreated to the Burger King message boards after being humiliated while trying to get into a party and warning the hosts to marshal their words with greater care.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerusalem posted:

I like to think that dude retreated to the Burger King message boards after being humiliated while trying to get into a party and warning the hosts to marshal their words with greater care.

their activities were so poorly conveyed

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Deathlove posted:

The next comic has the line "So putt the ball between a pair of tits? But sadder?" which I had forgotten about and is incredible

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, it took the end of prohibition for me to realize how bad Teodor was overpaying Little Nephew.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Did I hallucinate a comic where Roast Beef is talking about what it would be like to have sex with a young lady, and it ends with him orgasming and saying a combination of "thank you" and "I'm sorry"?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phy posted:

Man, it took the end of prohibition for me to realize how bad Teodor was overpaying Little Nephew.

It works out to like two hundo of 2020 money for a half ounce, which is only like ten bucks more than the dispensary near me. Though probably much shittier stuff.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

prefect posted:

Did I hallucinate a comic where Roast Beef is talking about what it would be like to have sex with a young lady, and it ends with him orgasming and saying a combination of "thank you" and "I'm sorry"?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06052008

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thank you. I wish I'd remembered it was the comic with "jazz hose" in it. :tipshat:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Freaking Crumbum posted:

any time i accidentally make an achewood quote to someone that doesn't know the strip, if they give me a concerned look i've found saying "i just love to celebrate the english language" is a succinct enough explanation

the beauty of "You can do whatever you want in life." is that no explanation is necessary

I have had one friend ask me "jesus christ dude do you have an Achewood strip for every occasion", and that made me realize that only Bloom County has stuck in mind more or less in its entirety as hard as Achewood.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s one of those things that endures because you’re not doing it to make a reference as much as it has so many turns of phrase that are perfect in so many situations. It’s not like the nerd quoting Monty Python at people as much as how so much Shakespeare became pretty standard English idioms.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Avoid Dominos orders today.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For my money one of the more economical achewood punchlines is when Beef's getting all Beef about marketing hot sauce, with like pack-in dvds of third world dudes dynamiting elephants to the soundtrack of the Beatles' "Yesterday" and Ray's just

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Sifting the cod from our children's very blood they are.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've gotten some use out of "We gotta hold this pose, man. Norman Rockwell's gettin' his easel out of the car."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I use this a lot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve always been fond of “drat! That answer could use some work!” when someone says something that jumps the line from “wrong” to “horrifying”

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Oh, quotables that stuck with me?

"This strip relies heavily on the gossipy hot dog chef archetype"

Just changed as needed to whatever other incongruous adjective and job.

Also "Most of these guys think three dollars is a good price for wine."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Three dollars is a good price for wine. :colbert:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's an excellent price for wine.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Heh heh that's right

"The wine so bad it made the news"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What is it you drink when you want something the police will wrestle you for?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

What is it you drink when you want something the police will wrestle you for?

Gusano Rojo. Mezcal.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05042004

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Gusano Rojo.

man that is the stiff coal
a real ankle drunk

Edit: Dammit, beaten. I just love how Beef's description is in unintelligibly dense slang that you can't help but comprehend perfectly.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 14, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This one was bugging me all day -- popped into my head and I remembered the alt-text exactly, "THE DEMONS AND ELVES MADE DARK LOVE TO THE WITCHES AND THUS WERE THEIR SCEPTYRES HIDDEN", but couldn't remember the album title, "into the Graemlin's abyss"

Really specific like, genre parodies were one of Chris's greatest skills

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Phy posted:

For my money one of the more economical achewood punchlines is when Beef's getting all Beef about marketing hot sauce, with like pack-in dvds of third world dudes dynamiting elephants to the soundtrack of the Beatles' "Yesterday" and Ray's just

This is the kind of panel you keep handy to reply to text/Discord messages that you disagree with, in your heart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve always been fond of “drat! That answer could use some work!” when someone says something that jumps the line from “wrong” to “horrifying”

I love these two (as well, of course, as the Gossipy Hot Dog Vendor Archetype):

Also I've been searching for years now for somebody called Cymulon and hoping they'll be a real loving jerk so I can tell them to fare thee not well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Heh. No, though.