Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

joat mon posted:

Yes, the judge always catches me and finds me in contempt.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Spilt my big mug of yogurt parfait all over myself and now all the potential jurors are snickering

dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Does anyone else have trouble eating during trial

I usually dont have any appetite during court days, which is fine on shorter trials, but I've got a couple multi week trials coming up and I'm pretty sure I'll die

Make sure you get some food with protein and fat in you early in the morning so it's settled by court time. That should carry you into late afternoon. Something small and snacky like gorp or a power bar during lunch will make sure you get through the rest of the in-court part of the day. Get dinner early if you can, then back to work.

e:
\/\/\/
The MC D's on the way to my courthouse has a goddamned magician on the night crew. Every time I get a sausage egg McMuffin at 5:30 in the morning, every bit is spot-on perfect. Not 'good for McDonald's good, but 'holy poo poo, the Platonic Form of breakfast' good.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 5, 2020

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

For some reason I like to eat McDonald's breakfast during trials. I usually don't eat breakfast.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
If I don't eat, I can't function. I bring a bag full of snacks to stuff my mouth at every break in court.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Opposing counsel gave me an opportunity to strike a pleading, and it's so nice to come across a situation where I'm 100% correct. They filed a motion to tax appellate costs well past the 45 day deadline in the rules. The trial court has no choice but deny their motion. I might be able to get the 2.5 hours of research and drafting time for sanctions, even.

This is the one bright spot in my job in quite some time. I do not like being an attorney.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
The door really hits you on the way out in this profession, huh

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Plead your client to a sweetheart deal on Tuesday, then they kill the RP on Thursday.
Go to law school, kids!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Keep up your malpractice for forever!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

joat mon posted:

Plead your client to a sweetheart deal on Tuesday, then they kill the RP on Thursday.
Go to law school, kids!

Whoops.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
hmm my school is talking about opening up the remote learning opportunities due to Corona Virus. Seemingly some of our lectures are going to either be live casts or posted on Youtube.

Got me praying for some nice late season snow

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

Go to law school, kids!

What's the RP?

Edit:oh Jesus, I'm sorry dude.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

What's the RP?

Edit:oh Jesus, I'm sorry dude.

Probably a person. That sucks man.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Reporting person I’m guessing. Victim or person who called the cops on the guy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

joat mon posted:

Go to law school, kids!

:smith:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Reporting person I’m guessing. Victim or person who called the cops on the guy.

Yep, trying not to make things too identifiable. If you do it long enough, you'll fill all the spots on the criminal defense :smith: bingo card.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

Yep, trying not to make things too identifiable. If you do it long enough, you'll fill all the spots on the criminal defense :smith: bingo card.

Sorry man. I had to get out of criminal defense way early because I knew I didn’t have the guts for it. I’m glad people like you are there to step into the breach for us all.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
When you get burned out on criminal defence, there's always employer-side labour relations if you want to feel like poo poo about what you do for a living. :thumbsup:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sorry man. I had to get out of criminal defense way early because I knew I didn’t have the guts for it. I’m glad people like you are there to step into the breach for us all.

:same:

I only made it three months :lol:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

:same:

I only made it three months :lol:

I'm at six and honestly enjoying it, partly because I'm in traffic court so all my clients are relatively innocent, partly because I just repeat "my client doesn't need jail, he needs therapy and/or services" to myself like a mantra

OTOH I have over thirty cases set for jury trial in one week next month, so, gently caress me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would have lasted longer if not for the murder, assault, and domestic violence cases. DV was the worst.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would have lasted longer if not for the murder, assault, and domestic violence cases. DV was the worst.

Yeah I don't have any seriously violent cases, and I only do the lowest level, least serious a&b's and DV's. It's all old couples yelling and throwing slippers at each other and they all get dismissed because by time of trial they've always reconciled.

Guy across the hall from me does murders and I have to close my office door when he's watching videos. Too much to deal with.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah people are the worst

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

Go to law school, kids!

:stare:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mr. Nice! posted:

I keep accidentally taking DV cases on Legal Aid. By the time I figure it out it's too late.

I mean, I still do my job well, I just don't get emotionally involved in the outcome, whereas with some of the addict/mentally-unwell clients, I do (which is ultimately probably a recipe for burnout).

But regardless I feel like opposing state violence is something I can feel good about. Even if my client is a poo poo, they likely don't deserve to be locked up in a concrete box.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

My practice is nothing but DV in various arenas and lately I can feel my soul shriveling up because jesus christ.

Did just get an angel donor to donate 10k to a client of mine who can't work due to the abuse, so there's a ray of sunshine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
What can I say, I get around!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

What can I say, I get around!

Lol

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ditto. Did it for a summer, got a guy off of a murder charge and a guy off of a child molestation charge. That was enough for me. [Insert obligatory, but genuine, glad there are people who can do it because people should have an advocate.]

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Since cross-posting into the law thread is all the rage these days:

quote:

These two are from the Tokyo Whiskey Library:

We were only there briefly, but this place had a huge selection of Scotch and I believe everything was 20% off during happy hour (including pours of various rare bottles). We were in a big group setting so I didn't take tasting notes or anything, but both of these were tasty. "The chimney in a Beehive" pretty much wrecked my palate with huge waves of peat, but I liked it.

We also visited a fun little whiskey bar called Shot Bar Zoetrope:

This place was incredible. The proprietor is a huge cinema buff and the decor really shows it. The walls are even signed by a handful of film directors and other big names (that I largely didn't recognize). He is also highly knowledgeable about all of the bottles he pours. I finally got to try my fill of Ichiro's (Chichibu distillery) releases, which are almost impossible to find in the United States. They had two special Ichiro's barrel picks (8th and 10th Zoetrope anniversary bottles) in addition to an absolute ton of annual releases and barrel picks, many at cask strength. I killed their last pour of their last bottle of Ichiro's peated whiskey. Also tried a variety of what are usually distillery-only releases from Nikka, including all three of their Yoichi and Miyagikyo special bottles.

Our overall winner for the night, surprisingly, was Miyagikyo Malty & Soft, which just had beautiful cereal and fruit notes that most of the younger stuff we had been tasting could not approach. Even at 55% abv it was velvety. The Yoichi distillery exclusives were also exceptional. The Ichiro's stuff was a ton of fun but most of it was a bit rough around the edges since it was all still relatively young. My favorite Ichiro's bottle was their 10th anniversary pick.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Going to be in Japan for the month of May, so this is relevant to my interests.

All my friends bailed on this trip because of Coronas, so lots of drinking alone opportunities.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

If when/poo poo hits the fan later this year, y'all think there will be layoffs like there were in '08?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://twitter.com/CourtNewsNet/status/1236761618689806336

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bushido Brown posted:

If when/poo poo hits the fan later this year, y'all think there will be layoffs like there were in '08?

Hopefully there will promotion opportunities as the top gets cleared our a little bit.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

sullat posted:

Hopefully there will promotion opportunities as the top gets cleared our a little bit.
Never! I'll hang on to the reins of power as they entomb my broken shell of a body into the Golden Throne like the Emperor of Mankind.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Judge in my assigned courtroom is on vacation this week. Rather than get a per diem judge all court is just straight up cancelled. Time to finally finish Breath of the Wild.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

Time to finally finish Breath of the Wild.

Jesus dude

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Jesus dude

Look some of us have ADD

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tokelau All Star posted:

Judge in my assigned courtroom is on vacation this week. Rather than get a per diem judge all court is just straight up cancelled. Time to finally finish Breath of the Wild.

So people stay in jail another week? God, I'm glad I live in a state with strong speedy trial requirements.

gently caress, a week off without using vacation would be would be amazing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

So people stay in jail another week? God, I'm glad I live in a state with strong speedy trial requirements.

gently caress, a week off without using vacation would be would be amazing

Might be more than a week coming up here soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like some corner offices may finally be opening up! Go to law school!