Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LAPS is good, and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Captain Foo posted:

LARPS is good, and cool

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

Captain Foo posted:

LARPS is good, and cool

Let me tell you about my vampersona - hey wait where are you going??

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Recruiter sent me into an interview expecting the workload to be 2.5x what it actually was but I didn't find that out until the end of the interview when it was too late to course correct

How are recruiters always this bad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
at my on-site interview yesterday I washed my hands upon arrival but nonetheless 3 of 5 interviewers refused to shake my hand

and now a company I was interviewing for Tuesday has closed its offices until further notice.

the bay is going bonkers over beer flu

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gazpacho posted:

at my on-site interview yesterday I washed my hands upon arrival but nonetheless 3 of 5 interviewers refused to shake my hand

and now a company I was interviewing for Tuesday has closed its offices until further notice.

Seeking new opportunities in the bay area

must be able to telework from my hermetically sealed home office "fun"-ker

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

20-60% of peeps will get it in the us, or so that one epidemiologist guesses. 3.4% fatality rate. so mass graves and poo poo are on the table

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

20-60% of peeps will get it in the us, or so that one epidemiologist guesses. 3.4% fatality rate. so mass graves and poo poo are on the table

fine I guess

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

well yeah if he said anything else it wouldn't have made for a catchy headline

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

most of them terrible boomers and if we’re lucky people who refuse to vaccinate

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Got another in person interview today. I'm getting an offer tomorrow from another place so this can only help me, yet I am still nervous

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm done, it went pretty alright. I might actually have 2 job offers soon!

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I'm done, it went pretty alright. I might actually have 2 job offers soon!

Make them fight

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

no! make them kiss. best kisser gets you

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

When it comes to negotiation there are two diametrically opposed schools of thought

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Asleep Style posted:

When it comes to negotiation there are two diametrically opposed schools of thought

I just want to say I really appreciate this post

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
So, I actually had the opportunity of actually interviewing with a company that doesn't suck!

It's kind of a breath of fresh air to actually have the experience of going through this after all of the lovely "full stack know it all" expectations I've been seeing.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the two kinds of programming interviews I see are:

1) I am trying to see your thought process and see if I can get along with you talking through a problem

2) I want to quiz you about minutiae/gotchas then if you forget something I *might* pedantically explain it but I’ll probably just kinda sigh disappointedly and move on

never take a job at a place where they do the 2nd kind.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

drunk mutt posted:

So, I actually had the opportunity of actually interviewing with a company that doesn't suck!

It's kind of a breath of fresh air to actually have the experience of going through this after all of the lovely "full stack know it all" expectations I've been seeing.

unless you have a backchannel who you know is more loyal to you than the company say it and you know also that this isnt a bait and switch, you don't know this

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

unless you have a backchannel who you know is more loyal to you than the company say it and you know also that this isnt a bait and switch, you don't know this

in my experience most companies of a reasonable size (a couple thousand or more people) with a reasonable level of professionalism (actually separate/professional HR and so on) are the same, what makes one place good to actually work at (or not) is your immediate team and coworkers.

for smaller companies I have no experience there but from my friends at smaller companies it seems all personality driven and like it can turn terrible at any moment.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

in my experience most companies of a reasonable size (a couple thousand or more people) with a reasonable level of professionalism (actually separate/professional HR and so on) are the same, what makes one place good to actually work at (or not) is your immediate team and coworkers.

for smaller companies I have no experience there but from my friends at smaller companies it seems all personality driven and like it can turn terrible at any moment.

the bait and switch goes, offer for team 1, you get assigned to team 2 instead

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
interviewing is garbage:

we got a good woman candidate in a department overwhelmingly populated by men, who didn't have much experience in the tech we primarily work with, but clearly had a wealth of experience with something ancillary to it. said ancillary thing is something we need to know how to work with, have a dearth of experience with a team, and is an extremely uncommon candidate skill (this candidate is literally the first we've had, ever). at least during my interview she did well enough troubleshooting an issue in our primary domain to demonstrate that she wasn't starting from zero and had the right thought process for our work.

our boss more or less declined her because some late-40s dude thought she wasn't sufficiently skilled in our primary area of work, between my strong recommendation and an undecided interviewer. was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since we don't really get enough women candidates to identify a trend buuuuuuut i got seated with a new hire he'd strongly recommended during a diversity exercise who had some ...interesting things to say. like does to hire like...

on top of this, it's rare to find /anyone/ with a great deal of of capability in our area of work, since people with that skillset can reasonably find a job at twice our salary. our boss is convinced just finding perfect out of the box employees though the hiring process will be easier (despite low af unemployment) than developing a proper training program

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

your boss sucks and is stupid, OP

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
double ur pay idiot, yotj it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah do you also work at half market rate?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

on top of this, it's rare to find /anyone/ with a great deal of of capability in our area of work, since people with that skillset can reasonably find a job at twice our salary.
So either you're unqualified or you should go and do just that

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Sounds like your dumb sexist boss did the candidate a favour.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

smaller companies and companies that grow by acquisition suck because the person heading your department was probably selected for their ability to kiss the CEO or owner's rear end and everything about your job can change in a single pissed off email

i am dealing with this right now where my boss of five years was shitcanned over an issue that was never reported to our team, literally got fired over a piece of equipment breaking in another state that we didnt know was broken or actively monitor, it wasn't even operations critical

this is why im looking for a new job, i had a recruiter call me for a government job and they spent forty minutes warning me about all the beauracracy and it was practically erotic after working at a place that doesn't have a single firm process for half a decade

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Mirthless posted:

this is why im looking for a new job, i had a recruiter call me for a government job and they spent forty minutes warning me about all the beauracracy and it was practically erotic after working at a place that doesn't have a single firm process for half a decade

i'm about to start a job at a hyuuuge company coming from a startup for this exact reason.

fully expecting to hate it for totally different reasons eventuallly but it is going to be a very chill break for a while

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went from 4 tech companies in a row to one of the biggest banks and while it definitely had its own problems the lack of constant panic mode grind is what made me stay in the financial industry after I quit said bank

like there's crunch time at big companies but usually it's because some other part of the process got held up so you've had time to figure out the tricky parts while you were waiting

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

PokeJoe posted:

yeah do you also work at half market rate?

i work above market rate /for my position/, which is well enough money for me to live comfortably. i also get to pay minimal attention to my supposed official role while doing a bunch of resume-driven development work on kubernetes poo poo, and will probably jump ship after long enough doing that

the better paid role would require more on-call work and i'd like to move away from that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Corla Plankun posted:

i'm about to start a job at a hyuuuge company coming from a startup for this exact reason.

fully expecting to hate it for totally different reasons eventuallly but it is going to be a very chill break for a while

be prepared for:

everything taking a long time due to sign off loops. for example do you need a new unix group access to do something on your new project? wait a week for gatekeeping from whichever group controls it, etc.

projects taking forever to get started because purchasing and provisioning for new infrastructure/IT stuff takes forever. need new NFS space or a new tool for your new project? you should have started asking 2 months ago.

otoh your paycheck will never bounce because “someone forgot to do payroll” and you can probably call an ergonomics person to get a fancy little foot stool for your plantar fasciitis and little things like that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i work above market rate /for my position/, which is well enough money for me to live comfortably. i also get to pay minimal attention to my supposed official role while doing a bunch of resume-driven development work on kubernetes poo poo, and will probably jump ship after long enough doing that

the better paid role would require more on-call work and i'd like to move away from that

thats fair I paid a buttload of dollars for a masters to escape on call work after doing it for 3 years

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

one of the best things about working at GE Healthcare was that there was a process for everything and a person who knew/owned that process, so the panic mode of literally no one in the company knowing what the gently caress just never happened. everything that could happen has a person (usually teams of persons) who can handle it.

that part was really great.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

otoh your paycheck will never bounce because “someone forgot to do payroll” ... and little things like that.

I wish this didn't literally made me think "oh that'd be nice"

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Private Speech posted:

I wish this didn't literally made me think "oh that'd be nice"

This happened to me once at a 25 year old company. How? Just how?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

one of the best things about working at GE Healthcare was that there was a process for everything and a person who knew/owned that process, so the panic mode of literally no one in the company knowing what the gently caress just never happened. everything that could happen has a person (usually teams of persons) who can handle it.

that part was really great.

of course you might not know they exist or how to find them

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

startups dont care about labor laws and will do incredibly dumb things if they think it makes their grift look more attractive to investors including hiring engineers they cant afford to pay and buying furniture and equipment that they can't budget for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

there was that one paycheck processor that just hosed off one day because they'd had massive internal fraud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
wtf do you get an actual paper paycheck that you have to cash because :psyduck: