Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-128-the-retinue-part-ii/

Part 2 of the retinue. Looks really good, love that different retinue members help you play the game the way you want to play it by rewarding certain activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I'll take the cartographer and the little kid that runs around collecting orc armor please.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That tiny child sounds phenomenally useful.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope they write some rare events that let you get retinue people for free. Like it would be great if one of the endless events where you come across some random urchin eating a rat or whatever could end with you adopting them as the company mascot/scavenger.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So far, these retinue characters act very similarly to the camp changes made in the Legends mod. Which is great, because things that make your team more Independent are good

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

vyelkin posted:

I hope they write some rare events that let you get retinue people for free. Like it would be great if one of the endless events where you come across some random urchin eating a rat or whatever could end with you adopting them as the company mascot/scavenger.

Yeah so far all they do is throw rocks at me :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There would have to be some pretty loving compelling alternative options out there to make the surgeon not be a mandatory pick.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

The Lord Bude posted:

There would have to be some pretty loving compelling alternative options out there to make the surgeon not be a mandatory pick.

Well to be fair the sergeant and the kid are also pretty mandatory right now and I think they said they have ~20 or so planned.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mazz posted:

Well to be fair the sergeant and the kid are also pretty mandatory right now and I think they said they have ~20 or so planned.

I like the idea of both of them; but the surgeon is in a class of his own imo.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Most permanent injuries are effectively death anyway. You just pay the surgeon (+ maybe the bro's compensation) to keep the dead bro's armor. That's definitely worth it later on when armor is worth 6k+ but I don't think I'll prioritize the surgeon. Depends on how much time he takes off regular injuries, of course.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 29, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Most permanent injuries are effectively death anyway. You just pay the surgeon + the bro's compensation to keep the dead bro's armor. That's definitely worth it later on when armor is worth 6k+ but I don't think I'll prioritize the surgeon. Depends on how much time he takes off regular injuries, of course.

Brain damage is a buff; missing ears have no meaningful impact, nor do missing eyes unless the bro was an archer. Even a missing finger is tolerable. Traumatised is definitely a liability, but imo a small one, and I’m pretty happy to keep using a traumatised bro but swap them out in fights where resolve is extra crucial. That’s 5/11 or a 45% chance of a permanent injury being something you can shrug off. And it seems to me that the less damaging ones seem to happen more often - my current peasants run has a brain damaged sergeant, at least 3 missing eyes, 4 missing ears and one missing finger (the guy still has 91 melee attack after the penalty).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I always seem to get Maimed Foot. Always.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I almost always get broken elbows and knees. Though I've had a few good bros who kept trucking forever after losing an eye, ear, or nose so it's not all bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A surgeon would mean that you can’t lose the game anymore?

e: never mind I’m dumb

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The Lord Bude posted:

Brain damage is a buff; missing ears have no meaningful impact, nor do missing eyes unless the bro was an archer. Even a missing finger is tolerable. Traumatised is definitely a liability, but imo a small one, and I’m pretty happy to keep using a traumatised bro but swap them out in fights where resolve is extra crucial. That’s 5/11 or a 45% chance of a permanent injury being something you can shrug off. And it seems to me that the less damaging ones seem to happen more often - my current peasants run has a brain damaged sergeant, at least 3 missing eyes, 4 missing ears and one missing finger (the guy still has 91 melee attack after the penalty).
I've never kept a traumatized bro, 40% of any stat that matters is just too much. Either way, when a bro goes down there's a 33% chance he survives by default, so the surgeon only affects 67% of downed bros anyway. And then the majority of those will still effectively be dead. There's a high chance the surgeon will never actually save a bro over the course of a run. Just doesn't seem like something worth getting unless you plan to stick with a run for a long time.
But like I said, we don't know how he affects non-permanent injuries exactly. Or how expensive he is.

vyelkin posted:

I almost always get broken elbows and knees. Though I've had a few good bros who kept trucking forever after losing an eye, ear, or nose so it's not all bad.
Broken knee, always.

(All permanent injuries are equally likely.)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Equally likely as a probability but still in practice? I imagine ear/nose/brain-damage only happen after getting hit in the head, so would be more/less likely then the body ones depending on how health damage spreads out during your run. Early game I think I have more cut off ears and noses before I get reasonable helmets, then I wanna say more body injuries.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm really hoping they add injuries for undead, that would make fighting them a lot more fun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean some would make sense, like broken elbow or something, even if others wouldn't.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I imagine ear/nose/brain-damage only happen after getting hit in the head
No, that doesn't matter.

Not when it comes to permanent injuries, that is, regular injuries are obviously a lot more granular.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Dreylad posted:

I'm really hoping they add injuries for undead, that would make fighting them a lot more fun.

sometimes the weidergangers / fallen heroes come back after decapitation.

edit: tis but a scratch

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Only fallen heroes do that.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
If there is someone you can hire for your retinue that makes retreating less of a shitshow I know who I'm getting every run.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wizard Styles posted:

If there is someone you can hire for your retinue that makes retreating less of a shitshow I know who I'm getting every run.

You really should get a movement bonus imo. Enough that dogs are maybe still and issue but not regular bandits.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Twice so far today the game has frozen partially. Once in the overhead map (total freeze) and once in the brother battle formation/equip screen (I could switch between two screens but also froze otherwise) and I had to reboot the game both times. Is this new?
edit: did a verify integrity on steam and there were no problems. Am not using any mods. I don't normally get freezing issues in games.

Falli Wagga
May 9, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Wizard Styles posted:

I was getting back into battle brothers again and really liked your guide last time I played forever ago. Is it still relevant with the current game?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Falli Wagga posted:

I was getting back into battle brothers again and really liked your guide last time I played forever ago. Is it still relevant with the current game?
The only guide I ever wrote was the one listing estimated potential stat values of different backgrounds.
Which is no longer relevant because the game files were decrypted, the exact values are known and up on the wiki: https://battlebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Backgrounds
I also deleted it.

You're more likely thinking of Hieronymous Alloy's guide. Which is still relevant but missing some information for the second DLC.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

redreader posted:

Twice so far today the game has frozen partially. Once in the overhead map (total freeze) and once in the brother battle formation/equip screen (I could switch between two screens but also froze otherwise) and I had to reboot the game both times. Is this new?
edit: did a verify integrity on steam and there were no problems. Am not using any mods. I don't normally get freezing issues in games.

This would happen to me because of my antivirus. Does it still happen if you turn your AV off?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Molybdenum posted:

A foe most fearsome.

e: How is that guy still biting my bros?

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 2, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

A foe most fearsome.

he holds out the head and it chews at your arms

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he holds out the head and it chews at your arms
That's definitely an explanation I'll happily accept as the one and only truth.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When trying the Legends mod, the AI on Geists really doesn't know how to deal with the Seer Hero's fire spell. Similarly, while you still can't hit the Geists themselves with the chain lightning, you can certainly hit a zombie next to them and let the guaranteed jump kill some ghosts. Similarly, because the AI doesn't respond to the fire carpet spell at all, you can just cook necromancers as they hide behind their minions.

This why the base game doesn't try to give you wizards. It's certainly fun to play with but it's not exactly fair.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wizard Styles posted:

A foe most fearsome.

you know how people who lose a limb can still "feel" it and it's called a phantom limb? well this guy has a phantom head but since he's undead it's literally an invisible phantom head that actually exists and can bite you

Falli Wagga
May 9, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Wizard Styles posted:

The only guide I ever wrote was the one listing estimated potential stat values of different backgrounds.
Which is no longer relevant because the game files were decrypted, the exact values are known and up on the wiki: https://battlebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Backgrounds
I also deleted it.

You're more likely thinking of Hieronymous Alloy's guide. Which is still relevant but missing some information for the second DLC.

Yeah that’s it. I used your guide too that must of been what I remembered

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-129-city-states-part-i/

Arena fights and you can hire gladiators. And uh, slavery!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Gladiator fighting as a thing? Sign me the gently caress up.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
drat the arena sounds good

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Gladiators gently caress yeah!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It'd be neat if you have a slave bro you could free him or something, or maybe there's emancipationist bros who take a morale hit for using them

Edit-slavery is kind of bad is what I'm saying so I hope it gets treated as something other than a get cannon fodder bros you don't have to pay mechanic

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I mean any bros that aren't from the south still take the morale hot when they die, so they're hardly cannon fodder unless you're running an all southern company. I also imagine they will have plenty of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Scaramouche posted:

It'd be neat if you have a slave bro you could free him or something, or maybe there's emancipationist bros who take a morale hit for using them

Edit-slavery is kind of bad is what I'm saying so I hope it gets treated as something other than a get cannon fodder bros you don't have to pay mechanic

Agreed. Could also impose penalties with your relationships with the north*, or your reputation. Maybe enslaved brothers got stat penalty, and liberation will make them better. Slavery shouldn't be an optimal solution, and y'know?

*Unrelated - maybe next expansion, upgrade the barbarians into a faction, rather then be just enemies. Have their own villages, take quests from 'em.