Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes. Doesn't have to be anything particularly high powered though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ah, that won’t work out then since I’ll also need it to work when visiting a friend’s house with trash internet to be able to stream off my phone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can sync to the phone, but you have to pay for that premium feature. Have you tried VLC? I'm not sure of its codec support on a phone, but I've found it useful in the past.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ll give it a go, but I always assumed it was a straight up media player like nPlayer rather than doing re-encoding.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

vlc is just a media player, i don't think it will transcode on the fly for chromecast. i'm not aware of any apps that will do that on the actual phone though, it would probably murder your battery if you tried to play a whole movie that way

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh gotcha, sorry I don’t really know how chromecasts work as ive never really needed it. Yeah I wouldn’t want to do a transcode on a phone. Ideally a small media player with its own storage would be the easiest solution but I’m not sure of any specifically, probably some android boxes have sd slots though.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Just carry an HDMI cable and adapter and skip the Chromecast completely.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah, that won’t work out then since I’ll also need it to work when visiting a friend’s house with trash internet to be able to stream off my phone.

How trash is trash? Just run the server from your laptop at home and as long as your friend gets like ~5mbps down you’ll be able to stream SD no problem.

I know this because I used a seedbox as a plex server in the north and it worked great. My down speed was only ever 3-5mbps. Could usually handle 720p, even!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d say do something on a RasPi, but they can’t really handle transcoding even with the beefier new ones. If you have a only laptop lying around it’s pretty painless to throw Plex on there. Where does the file you’re trying to cast live? It may be easier to recode it with Handbrake to something compatible.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m thinking my best option probably will end up being just running everything through Handbrake before I copy them onto my phone. Just takes so long to encode so I really need to plan ahead what videos I may wanna watch on a TV rather than on my phone. :(

tuyop posted:

How trash is trash?
360p YouTube videos needing to stop to buffer a few times levels of trash.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 6, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get Waltr if you're transferring videos often.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Just carry an HDMI cable and adapter and skip the Chromecast completely.

This sounds like the best option to me. HDMI cables are cheap enough that you could leave the cable at your friend's if they don't even have a spare cable laying around.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah I might need to end up doing that. A bit of a pain to have to get up and down to the TV (minus however long the cable is) to pause it but there’s probably no other (convenient) way.

Is there a third party lightning to HDMI adapter that doesn’t cost megabux like the official one?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

A bit of a pain to have to get up and down to the TV (minus however long the cable is) to pause it but there’s probably no other (convenient) way.

Yelling "hey Siri pause" seems to work at least in VLC.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Doesn’t that involve having a machine running permanently somewhere as a Plex server though?

Yes it does. Personally i run the Plex Server on my Synology NAS.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

is there a good enough free note taking app if i wanted to take handwritten notes on the ipad? i keep seeing stuff for notion but i can't seem to even find out if they ever added handwriting to it, let alone find it in the ui. i bet this question gets asked a ton but i heard there was a recent free note taking app that went bad so i would like to know if there's any pitfalls to avoid

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there a good enough free note taking app if i wanted to take handwritten notes on the ipad? i keep seeing stuff for notion but i can't seem to even find out if they ever added handwriting to it, let alone find it in the ui. i bet this question gets asked a ton but i heard there was a recent free note taking app that went bad so i would like to know if there's any pitfalls to avoid

Start with OneNote. It's actually really good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Funny enough what I dislike about OneNote the most is how it handles the non-drawing stuff.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TraderStav posted:

Start with OneNote. It's actually really good.

I think that was the one people were saying took a turn for the worse recently though? Or was that goodnotes?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Futaba Anzu posted:

I think that was the one people were saying took a turn for the worse recently though? Or was that goodnotes?

I think good notes. OneNote has hardly changed over the years I've used it. For good or bad

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It was a good thing when MS relented and agreed to keep supporting the OneNote 2016 version on windows because the UWP (universal windows platform) app was kind of lacking. The iOS app is based on that but for a mobile version it is fine. I often just start outlines on my phone and then fine tune them on the 2016 windows app.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use Pocket? It says that when you pay it’s a “Permanent library of everything you’ve saved”. Does that imply things get deleted if you use the free version?

Also are there any alternatives I should check out for iOS? Handy if it has a website I can access on Windows as well.

Something that works with the Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn apps would be great but I don’t know if that exists.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

priznat posted:

It was a good thing when MS relented and agreed to keep supporting the OneNote 2016 version on windows because the UWP (universal windows platform) app was kind of lacking. The iOS app is based on that but for a mobile version it is fine. I often just start outlines on my phone and then fine tune them on the 2016 windows app.
Yeah it's cool to be able to sync notes between my phone and my PC. I'm sure other apps do this too, but OneNote is free and I've never had any issues using it.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

priznat posted:

I need to figure out how to go back to 2016. UWP sucks!!!!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

savesthedayrocks posted:

I need to figure out how to go back to 2016. UWP sucks!!!!!

Should be able to get it via office365 I believe. I don’t know if it is available free standalone though :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone use Pocket? It says that when you pay it’s a “Permanent library of everything you’ve saved”. Does that imply things get deleted if you use the free version?

Also are there any alternatives I should check out for iOS? Handy if it has a website I can access on Windows as well.

Something that works with the Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn apps would be great but I don’t know if that exists.

I think what permanent means is that they save a cached copy.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I think what permanent means is that they save a cached copy.

Ah thanks. That might actually be a useful feature.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Futaba Anzu posted:

We use OneNote at work and it makes me want to die.

Is there something you don't like about Apple's Notes app? That'd actually be my pick for a simple, free notes app that has handwriting support.

And if you don't like Notes, for whatever reason, I'd maybe think about Paper by WeTransfer (formerly by FiftyThree). I think it's more a sketchbook, but it would definitely work for notes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will confess that I have no goddamn idea how to use OneNote. Every time I've seen someone using it the results look like one of those walls maintained by a conspiracy nut.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have to teach OneNote on Friday and I also have no idea how to use it. Evernote uses a more accessible metaphor, imo.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just got this notification in the free version of Down Dog yoga:

quote:

Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, many people are avoiding gathering in large groups, which includes yoga studios and other fitness spaces. In order to help out, we are making all of our apps completely free until April 1. We hope that everyone will stay healthy and safe in these uncertain times.
So hey, free yoga.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Minimoog and Kaossilator synthesizer apps are currently free in celebration of the global pandemic :toot:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I now have dark mode gcal

I’m not sure how I feel about this

edit: these are dark times (lol)

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 15, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still don’t have dark mode for gmail.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Clark Nova posted:

Minimoog and Kaossilator synthesizer apps are currently free in celebration of the global pandemic :toot:
Thank you very mucho, Mr Roboto :captainpop:

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Is there an easy way to play voice memo files (m4a) that have been emailed to your iPhone? Sending them using the share feature seems to be pretty easy. But opening the attached file and listening to them seems much more difficult. Any one have any advice?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Is there an easy way to play voice memo files (m4a) that have been emailed to your iPhone? Sending them using the share feature seems to be pretty easy. But opening the attached file and listening to them seems much more difficult. Any one have any advice?

It should just play when you tap the attachment in the email

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WhatsApp finally has a dark mode... gmail does not.

Or maybe Gmail does and I’m missing it? Where is it in the settings?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Gmail had it first but I guess they're still A-B testing it. I've had it for months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are there any good cross platform (iOS Android) video chat apps that allow sharing of a screen as well as a picture in picture for selfie cam?

My kids would love to be able to watch netflix together with their friend(s) in these days of social distancing..

Even without the screen share a facetime analog would be good too.