Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Poor Hugh :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think it was a not-well-thought-out attempt to remind the viewers of the synth ban. It's clumsy, but it'd be like going "we abolished nuclear enrichment in all forms on our planet but this cure can only be grown in an active reactor."

Which would make it seem pretty dumb and short-sighted to anyone but the select few who actually know the terrible secret of space.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Which would make it seem pretty dumb and short-sighted to anyone but the select few who actually know the terrible secret of space.

I agree?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

It wasn't a provocation :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the show also agrees that the synth ban was pretty dumb and short sighted, you might even say it's a major recurring theme.

But also using nuclear reactors is an excellent parallel because there are millions of people terrified of reactors for no good reason and they see limited use despite their potential to alleviate the very real climate crises because of it and oh my god the terrible secret of space is galaxy warming

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

I think the show also agrees that the synth ban was pretty dumb and short sighted, you might even say it's a major recurring theme.

That trillions of people go along with. "Majority opinion" according to the showrunner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

That trillions of people go along with. "Majority opinion" according to the showrunner.

And Nuclear reactors didn't even blow up any major shipyards.....but they could....

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

It wasn't a provocation :)

Oh! Didn't mean it like that, I wasn't sure if you were making a different argument or what.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I really loved this episode! I complained in a previous post that it needed more TNG and this was gorgeous

I also like that Elnor is becoming his own character instead of just comic relief, him losing Hugh like that is going to be a big deal.

loving romulans.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh! Didn't mean it like that, I wasn't sure if you were making a different argument or what.

We're good. Just that I was confused for what they were going for, but in retrospect the obvious answer is that the Federation is written as contemporary America but with an apparent unanimity that makes any actual parallels crude at best.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Seska's baby in Voyager was a Cardassian-Kazon hybrid. I think that's the most exotic combination we've ever seen.

Ah, yeah, I wonder when she will appear in this series or DISCO. Seems there's no true way to be rid of her and I'm not convinced she's gone for real.

Delthalaz posted:

You know come to think about it, these hybrid children with parents from entirely different species that evolved on planets lightyears apart may be some of the most implausible conceits in star trek

FWIW, scientists could make gorilla-human hybrids and chimaeras with all sorts of other apes and animals, but every1 freaks out whenever they try and nobody is really allowed to go all the way - but we totally could!!! IIRC in Trek most species are all derived from the same folks a long time ago so maybe Trek universe is just real generous with the DNA mixing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Could they really

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Well, what we get from the process won't live long...fortunately.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Khanstant posted:

FWIW, scientists could make gorilla-human hybrids and chimaeras with all sorts of other apes and animals, but every1 freaks out whenever they try and nobody is really allowed to go all the way - but we totally could!!!

:pwn:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Revised theory about the terrible secret of space.

[spoiler]So they're just going with your bog standard "ai will destroy all life in the universe"... Again.

Will it be a direct tie in to Disco season 2? That'd be creatively bankrupt if so.

I really hope you're wrong, but it's starting to seem the route they are going. Lumping the Orville in, that would make 3 Trek shows at once bouncing around the same concept of Evil Ai Life. Leave it the world's most genocidal and destructive invasive species to make fiction about how dAnGeRoUs artificial life would be. Give me a break, everyone knows Man is the True Monster so excuse me if I'm not buying the AI fearmongering. Also, the irony of trying to genocide AI life because you're scared they're going to try and genocide you. genocide for all of ya until you can think of a nice way to share existence, I say!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Well, what we get from the process won't live long...fortunately.

Won't live long because these scientists are all bound by some magic geas of ethics to terminate anything rad they might get up to. This is why we can't have Tuvixes!!!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I really hope you're wrong, but it's starting to seem the route they are going. Lumping the Orville in, that would make 3 Trek shows at once bouncing around the same concept of Evil Ai Life. Leave it the world's most genocidal and destructive invasive species to make fiction about how dAnGeRoUs artificial life would be. Give me a break, everyone knows Man is the True Monster so excuse me if I'm not buying the AI fearmongering. Also, the irony of trying to genocide AI life because you're scared they're going to try and genocide you. genocide for all of ya until you can think of a nice way to share existence, I say!

Orville's thing was Killer Robots which is a bit different, also the actual Killer Robot plot was 2 episodes and mostly served to drive other plot development after that (treaty with the Krill, Mirror Universe episode)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Khanstant posted:

It's just idle speculation at this point.
At least in Disco s2 there were clear* stakes.

*relatively speaking

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Ah, yeah, I wonder when she will appear in this series or DISCO. Seems there's no true way to be rid of her and I'm not convinced she's gone for real.

Disco was decades before/centuries after Voyager and the Kazon were barely warp-capable so nah

Unless you mean Seska and not the baby in which case I have some bad news

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Orville's thing was Killer Robots which is a bit different, also the actual Killer Robot plot was 2 episodes and mostly served to drive other plot development after that (treaty with the Krill, Mirror Universe episode)

Fair enough, but the reason they were killer robots is basically because their creators were not recognizing AI-life-rights and trying to enslave them and they're now doing genocide because of their pathos.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Disco was decades before/centuries after Voyager and the Kazon were barely warp-capable so nah

Unless you mean Seska and not the baby in which case I have some bad news

I meant Seska! Hologram, temporal distortion, nebula. We mix those three things together and Seska's back baby! This time she's taking over Soji's body and Soji suddenly is hungry for Chakotays all over again.

Disco is now centuries after Voyager so Seska or her legacy can appear and maybe the Kazon are hot poo poo of the delta quadrant in the future after their numerous encounters with Voyager.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The worst thing about Hugh’s death was Cersei Romulan pronouncing asinine as arse-inine. That’s not how British people say that word!!!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Fair enough, but the reason they were killer robots is basically because their creators were not recognizing AI-life-rights and trying to enslave them and they're now doing genocide because of their pathos.

I meant Seska! Hologram, temporal distortion, nebula. We mix those three things together and Seska's back baby! This time she's taking over Soji's body and Soji suddenly is hungry for Chakotays all over again.

Disco is now centuries after Voyager so Seska or her legacy can appear and maybe the Kazon are hot poo poo of the delta quadrant in the future after their numerous encounters with Voyager.

:wtc:

also remember the Kazon encountered the Borg and the Borg were like "eh....nah" and kept moving

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

The worst thing about Hugh’s death was Cersei Romulan pronouncing asinine as arse-inine. That’s not how British people say that word!!!

Hope she gets arse-imilated.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I am starting to feel like they're making Picard the Brett Favre of Starfleet. He's an above average Captain, but one of the greatest of all time when he has the proper crew around him. I was ready to feel what the gently caress Picard?! when he mocked Soji in the middle of counseling, then Troi did it for me. My thoughts are that Picard true to help others, but Troi makes him empathetic. Picard had good leadership ideas, but Riker fine tunes them into action. He also kinda sucks as a captain with this new crew.

Dahj would still be alive if she had sought out Jellico instead. :argh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:wtc:

also remember the Kazon encountered the Borg and the Borg were like "eh....nah" and kept moving

YOU HAVE NO TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO ADD TO OUR OWN

YOUR BIOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS IS IRRELEVANT BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE HAIR TO PUT LITERAL GARBAGE INTO

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hope she gets arse-imilated.

Wild Plot Speculation Time (I don't actually think this will happen) Seven activates the Cube like Hugh wanted, but she also activates some sort of re-assimilation protocol. She then turns the Cube inward and assimilates everybody on the ship. Narek, his resolve wavering due to his love for Soji, has his resolve hardened by the assimilation of his weird creepy sister.

Please god don't let any of that be true

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

YOU HAVE NO TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO ADD TO OUR OWN

YOUR BIOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS IS IRRELEVANT BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE HAIR TO PUT LITERAL GARBAGE INTO

I wonder if they actually told them something like that or if they just kept silent and moved on lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CaptainSkinny posted:

I am starting to feel like they're making Picard the Brett Favre of Starfleet. He's an above average Captain, but one of the greatest of all time when he has the proper crew around him. I was ready to feel what the gently caress Picard?! when he mocked Soji in the middle of counseling, then Troi did it for me. My thoughts are that Picard true to help others, but Troi makes him empathetic. Picard had good leadership ideas, but Riker fine tunes them into action. He also kinda sucks as a captain with this new crew.

Dahj would still be alive if she had sought out Jellico instead. :argh:

“Do you know me?”

“Now why the hell would I? Do I LOOK like I’ve met you before?”

“...gently caress this, I’m gonna go find Picard.” [Dajh Asha died on her way back to her home planet]

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wild Plot Speculation Time (I don't actually think this will happen) Seven activates the Cube like Hugh wanted, but she also activates some sort of re-assimilation protocol. She then turns the Cube inward and assimilates everybody on the ship. Narek, his resolve wavering due to his love for Soji, has his resolve hardened by the assimilation of his weird creepy sister.

Write that to RLM. They need a take like that for their next set of predictions.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

All that for one Romulan arse-arse-in?
Just toss her into that room full of red g-arse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Longbaugh01 posted:

He grew up in Alaska and they also specifically said they went to live on that planet because they thought it might help their son’s condition
Yeah, that's the in-lore reason. I was giving my real-world hand-wavy supposition for why they'd write the show towards it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Didn't incest sister beam off the cube? Or did she just go somewhere else on it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wherever she went, I want baby elrond to cut her fuckin head off

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Wherever she went, I want baby elrond to cut her fuckin head off

Just about anyway she goes out, it will be amazingly cathartic when she finally does at this point.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

i'm hoping she dies soon just so we can stop with the whole incest thing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wonder if (speculation based on next week trailer) the stuff next week on the cube was originally written with Hugh and Elnor having cube adventures but they wanted to have more Seven instead so they killed him off so she could take his place.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Really liked this episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MoaM posted:

Really liked this episode.

:mods:

Me too, except for that one really stupid thing, but still overall yeah

Adbot