Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Years ago in the days of floppy disks, an edict from on high went out that anyone found with a virus on their computer would get sacked.
Our boss said everyone had to bring their floppy disks to me to be virus checked.
Well apart from trying to get people to understand that everytime their disk went in and out of another computer (a lot of people were doing evening classes, day release etc to get professional qualifications so they were swapping info from place to place) it needed checking again, the people most responsible for transmitting computer viruses were the senior management.
Needless to say they did not fire themselves.

You'll be relieved to hear in the age of the gigabit internet connection this is still the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You'll be relieved to hear in the age of the gigabit internet connection this is still the case.

Pen testing will just need a job lot of branded usb’s and a clipboard long after we’re all gone

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But the point is that even those primitive early attempts* made even the slightest attempt at legend-making (to use the term of art for coming up with a persona for the person represented by the bot). The lowest-tech bots you see on Twitter (the ones who just slap a picture of a semi-naked woman next to a URL and the contents of the "Trending" list) at least bother to machine-generate a username and avoid all of the other alleged tells of a Russian bot.

*And by early I'm talking Sanford Wallace and his cohort of second-wave email spammers in the nineties** who pioneered the use of machine-generated cruft to evade automated spam filters. Unsurprisingly they all moved to social media in the 2000s - they are, by definition, early-adopters (many cut their teeth on junk faxes) - where they've prospered far more than they ever did sending email spam because of the fundamental perverse incentive of a closed ecosystem which is reluctant to close accounts and depress those all-important investor storytime numbers. Spamford would piss himself laughing at these "bots" if they really were machine-generated, rather than just being ordinary members of the public who aren't as terminally online as the Twitterati.

** I've just realised that I've been dealing with this poo poo for over half my life now :smith:

twitter does/did have a different dynamic from email spam, I think

- possible to spike trending in obscure demos/markets by botting, especially pre-2018. No need to actually ID human audience, the bots don't actually need to directly reach any out to any humans. Twitter would do it for you
- algo rewards for having followers (bot or otherwise) that actively interact
- remarkably low costs for simply adding more users... if you had a name list of 1,000 plausible names, why stop there? You could have a list of 1,000 plausible names x 1 million variants by tacking on a number - hence bots that don't even conform to the 8 digit format

a human-piloted troll account, sure - a minimal effort at a persona. But a thousand accounts whose sole purpose is to fling stuff at the wall to see what sticks whilst ticking up some main account's follower/retweet count?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

twitter does/did have a different dynamic from email spam, I think

- possible to spike trending in obscure demos/markets by botting, especially pre-2018. No need to actually ID human audience, the bots don't actually need to directly reach any out to any humans. Twitter would do it for you
- algo rewards for having followers (bot or otherwise) that actively interact
- remarkably low costs for simply adding more users... if you had a name list of 1,000 plausible names, why stop there? You could have a list of 1,000 plausible names x 1 million variants by tacking on a number - hence bots that don't even conform to the 8 digit format

a human-piloted troll account, sure - a minimal effort at a persona. But a thousand accounts whose sole purpose is to fling stuff at the wall to see what sticks whilst ticking up some main account's follower/retweet count?

Because if you're going to the effort of coding all that why not code something to find a unique username? The point I've been making is that <name><numbers> as an indicator of either a bot or a sophisticated information warfare operative is bollocks, and provably so because even the lowest-tech spammers on Twitter (and indeed 90s spammers slinging a thousand emails at a time through an open relay) could manage to come up with a better format than that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Despite my username I am not a bot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of machine learning related scams, here's a story about too-good-to-be-true projects.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

You know we might all die of climate change but it's been a really nice sunny week.

My old man was saying it's due to snow on Wednesday. If I was a political cartoonist I'd take this as a sign there is no libel warming

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah it's still really cold but the sunshine has been absolutely wonderful.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I went on that person-generator site and generated about 20 people, they've nearly all got the same teeth (some not showing teeth), some from different angles but nearly all the same basic set with their left-hand front tooth slightly larger than the right hand front tooth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should try the cat version :v:

https://thiscatdoesnotexist.com/

Specifically the image corpus is a bit... off.

So you quite often generate horrifying cat-human amalgams. Also cat/cat/cat/chair amalgams :v:

However! The monstrosities you create do, almost always, read as "cat". Thus demonstrating the essential nature of machine learning.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 6, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My favourite bit about this cat does not exist (though they might have fixed it now?) is that it thinks that the impact font from lolcats is cats, so they frequently have weird not-language heiroglyphs under or above them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

My favourite bit about this cat does not exist (though they might have fixed it now?) is that it thinks that the impact font from lolcats is cats, so they frequently have weird not-language heiroglyphs under or above them.

Oh yeah that too, machine learning languages are always absolutely great too, because again, you parse it as writing, it just doesn't make any sense.

But of course the machine also parses it as cat, because it correlates with cat pictures on the internet. Wonderful insight into an alien mind attempting to make sense of reality.

https://twitter.com/round/status/1220568710471016448

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 6, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CoolCab posted:

horse ebooks was fraudulent, it was a person writing the tweets from almost the beginning

This is true for pretty much all "AI generated" stuff, at least in terms of editing it or cherry picking the good bits

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

OwlFancier posted:

You know we might all die of climate change but it's been a really nice sunny week.

I cycled three miles to the station yesterday evening and I nearly got frostbite, it was pissing it down that hard.

E: Something life affirming about cramming into a overcrowded train carriage with sodden trousers and hands that won't stop shaking from the cold. gently caress you British Weather.

quote:

Much discomfort was based on human expectations. As a man, I expected to be warm and dry when I chose to be. Animals did not harbour any such beliefs. So it was raining. Rain meant being cold and wet. Once I acknowledged that and stopped comparing it to what I wished it to be, the conditions were far more tolerable. I set out.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 6, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

This is true for pretty much all "AI generated" stuff, at least in terms of editing it or cherry picking the good bits
I think Flags Mashup Bot is a genuine unfiltered algorithm, it just relies on flags being what they are to have a decent hit rate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1166392868501643264

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

[Everyone disliked that]

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It'd look nicer if the green replaced the blue.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1235948265524297728?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

baka kaba posted:

You leave jav titles alone

https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1235946020544094213?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That's dope

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of course twisto and alice from trashfuture both follow this account.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Of course twisto and alice from trashfuture both follow this account.

Fairly sure I don't, other than through the Alice filter that is my interface to a lot of bits of Twitter I can't be arsed following because they're too baffling.

e: I do see three other UKMT goons there though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fairly sure I don't, other than through the Alice filter that is my interface to a lot of bits of Twitter I can't be arsed following because they're too baffling.

This encouraged me to look and I'm pleased to confirm that America's Funny Man Neil Hamburger follows this account.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Might be someone else, I thought council culture was you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ are you sure that's not another JAV title

Guavanaut posted:

I think Flags Mashup Bot is a genuine unfiltered algorithm, it just relies on flags being what they are to have a decent hit rate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1166392868501643264

if there's an account that needs to maintain plausible deniability it's that one

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/kenchengcomedy/status/1235984947678191617?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BalancePowerUK/status/1236063151172587524?s=19

The former hard right tory mp is now further to the left than 90% of Labour MPs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's the new guy's ORDERRRRR like anyway?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

What's the new guy's ORDERRRRR like anyway?

He never seemed to have much gravitas as deputy IMHO. Struggles to articulate himself when he's angry. E.g. the stuff at 2.30 - 3.30 with Salmond.

As for your question, he just kind of barks it. The Scum has produced a highlights reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQnUJf4wfY

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Why IS the Labour party leadership election taking so long?
Any good reason for it? Or is it that they are just extremely bad at administration?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why IS the Labour party leadership election taking so long?
Any good reason for it? Or is it that they are just extremely bad at administration?

As I noted upthread or possibly last month, it's probably because there's postal voting for the luddites. It takes time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/angryaboutbikes/status/1236079209572859904?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/PoliceServiceNI/status/1235861934630559744

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

5 hours later...

https://twitter.com/PoliceServiceNI/status/1235943344368488449

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

As I noted upthread or possibly last month, it's probably because there's postal voting for the luddites. It takes time.

Email should be compulsory these days or expect to be left out.
(Am about to become chair of the residents' committee for my flats and out of 19 flats I think just 2 of us have email so that is a gently caress ton of printing to do each time and the treasurer has already indicated that she isn't in favour of reimbursing printing costs).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Am about to become chair of the residents' committee for my flats and out of 19 flats I think just 2 of us have email so that is a gently caress ton of printing to do each time and the treasurer has already indicated that she isn't in favour of reimbursing printing costs).

Have you considered treatment for your spreadsheet and bureaucracy addiction?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Are you Seinfeld? :jerry:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The other implication is that I get to gently caress Thomas Hobbes.

OwlFancier posted:

Have you considered treatment for your spreadsheet and bureaucracy addiction?
Is the treatment macrobiotics?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

Are you Seinfeld? :jerry:

Que? Please explain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But surely in order to avoid disenfranchising voters who do not have easy access to the internet (such as Roma, the homeless who somehow afford a Labour subscription), this would require some sort of nationalised broadband that is free at the point of use...

Ah.

E: Super Cut: All voting should be done via Tik Tok reaction videos.