Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

it is very clever and that is why the government would not do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
thank you mors, i realize now you're totally right. getting them to recognize even the idea of "neither male nor female" was enough of a challenge, they probably would not accomodate monsters with mutable flesh even in the slightest.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's a beautiful day outside to play vampire

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The secret of Hunter social services is basically 'okay, what service would the government provide to law-abiding monsters in an ideal world' followed by 'and how would they gently caress it up through a combination of not understanding monsters, not being funded, and being controlled by American politics'

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Honestly they'd probably be fairly self-funding, similar to how the Men In Black movies do it, where they'd exchange supernatural ephemera for services, which are then laundered through various & sundry grey markets. if you hang out with wizards long enough eventually one of them will magick together a pile of gold coins, you know?

edit- vampiric blood bank feeds you three points but takes back one to maintain their ghoul army with.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

thank you mors, i realize now you're totally right. getting them to recognize even the idea of "neither male nor female" was enough of a challenge, they probably would not accomodate monsters with mutable flesh even in the slightest.

OTOH, Vampires are semiotically deeply linked to ruling classes, so they could also justifiably have super privileges like how rich people can skip security at the airport.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Archonex posted:

So remember when I bitched about the art in the V5 core book? How I said a lot of it outside of Swedracula and friends cosplaying looked like concept art?

That's because it was. It literally was concept art from the early alpha of the cancelled WoD MMO. There was a bunch of unreleased footage back in 2018 that had it shown. They just reprinted it in the core book because no one would know the difference. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSqAKlT71kI

You can see a few of the concept art pictures for Toreador in that video showcasing some of the unreleased footage.

I appreciate the Queen of the Damned soundtrack.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GimpInBlack posted:

The best part about VASCU is definitely that, implicitly, there is at least one Public Defender's Office that specializes in Dracula crimes. But this? This right here is the best form of shadow government: the shadow social services.

Mors Rattus posted:

Basically, I've interacted with Social Services enough myself to understand that this both has to exist and would be incredibly frustrating to deal with and be part of.

You would have to change very, very little to run this in Geist 2E.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Mors Rattus posted:

The secret of Hunter social services is basically 'okay, what service would the government provide to law-abiding monsters in an ideal world' followed by 'and how would they gently caress it up through a combination of not understanding monsters, not being funded, and being controlled by American politics'

IMO you'd probably see a lot of confidential monster identities leaked to the private sector just by virtue of how things work here.

Like what, Medicare Extra Strength (for the 200+ years old) gets taken down as a side-effect of state budget cuts, and no one notices that the records were transferred to insurance companies by default. Their opaque state-of-the-art formulas choke on the otherworldly health statistics they've been given and the resulting premiums drive whole towns to bankruptcy.

In the absence of any Dracula-informed public defender who isn't swamped with a dozen cases already, one plucky vampire takes it on himself to save his clan through the power of the American court system. Unfortunately much of his mind is still firmly stuck in the 1700s (hence why he thinks there's a chance). Can he learn the strange tongue of the millennials in time?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Bendigeidfran posted:

IMO you'd probably see a lot of confidential monster identities leaked to the private sector just by virtue of how things work here.

Like what, Medicare Extra Strength (for the 200+ years old) gets taken down as a side-effect of state budget cuts, and no one notices that the records were transferred to insurance companies by default. Their opaque state-of-the-art formulas choke on the otherworldly health statistics they've been given and the resulting premiums drive whole towns to bankruptcy.

In the absence of any Dracula-informed public defender who isn't swamped with a dozen cases already, one plucky vampire takes it on himself to save his clan through the power of the American court system. Unfortunately much of his mind is still firmly stuck in the 1700s (hence why he thinks there's a chance). Can he learn the strange tongue of the millennials in time?

Sounds like a job for everyones favorite, Elder Hardluck!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bendigeidfran posted:

"What the gently caress are you doing?"
"It is known as the floss dance. I am doing it to quote, own, the judge."
"That's..not...."

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

"What the gently caress are you doing?"
"It is known as the floss dance. I am doing it to quote, own, the judge."
"That's..not...."

I'm honestly not sure if I'm glad or sad that my Malk player doesn't play Fortnite because I 100% know he would be flossing or dabbling on the prince at some point.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mulva posted:

I don't know, fangbanging some nobody doesn't really sound like Son of God Jesus, I think that guy might have known Kinfolk Jesus at best.

What if it was this Jesus?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/ev3ib9/we_found_a_scroll_containing_an_eye_witness/

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

This Jesus has the most terrifying power of all. All those who witness his true form are cursed to incredibly long-winded and aimless prose.

Wait, poo poo. Maybe it was this Jesus.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine the obvious big payoff for VASCU is when that neurotic Ventrue and the Japanese videotape ghost you helped in stories 1 and 4 bail you out in story #9, "Against the World Crime League."

Also, if blood bank blood works for vampires, they can just give vampires the stuff they collect but have to reject but isn't infectious. Distribution is probably the difficulty, although I also imagine it would taste gross. On the other hand, "you eat gross food" vs. "you do assaults and murders on the regular," not a hard choice

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

I Am Just a Box posted:

This Jesus has the most terrifying power of all. All those who witness his true form are cursed to incredibly long-winded and aimless prose.

Wait, poo poo. Maybe it was this Jesus.

Seriously. Good idea, horrid execution.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Archonex posted:

So remember when I bitched about the art in the V5 core book? How I said a lot of it outside of Swedracula and friends cosplaying looked like concept art?

That's because it was. It literally was concept art from the early alpha of the cancelled WoD MMO. There was a bunch of unreleased footage back in 2018 that had it shown. They just reprinted it in the core book because no one would know the difference. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSqAKlT71kI

You can see a few of the concept art pictures for Toreador in that video showcasing some of the unreleased footage.

I'm not a V5 fan, but when V5 launched, I was really taken with the fashion pictures in the Clan sections and asked Rose Bailey if they were from the MMO. She replied that they were indeed concept designs by Leslie Minnis, whose further work can be found here: https://leslieminnis.wordpress.com/character-design-3/.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So this year, with a brief gap in my schedule, I'm finally finishing the novels and inputting the data (two step process - first you have to read the godawful thing while making frustratingly cryptic marks and comments in the margins, then go back and input it into the files. Why not do both at once? That requires you to read the entire thing at the desk, so you miss out on the surprisingly productive toilet read) for the ones I'd managed to miss doing so far. They're so bad (this is fiction of a quality where you have moments like forcing a vampire to drink blood by holding its nose so it can't breathe. A vampire.) and it's so tedious, though Richard Lee Byers wraith novels are actually readable if not particularly good and have a great way of both explaining and weaving in the shadowlands and stygia's quirks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Why wouldn't OWoD Jesus have True Faith in, uh, himself?

Interestingly, or not interestingly, while Revised walked back pants on head things (for the most part) in the Revised Silent Striders book they say that whatever Jesus was Wyrm creatures would keep at least a mile away from him at all times and the Israelite Striders would use him to ambush gribblies as they were flushed out.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dawgstar posted:

Interestingly, or not interestingly, while Revised walked back pants on head things (for the most part) in the Revised Silent Striders book they say that whatever Jesus was Wyrm creatures would keep at least a mile away from him at all times and the Israelite Striders would use him to ambush gribblies as they were flushed out.

Mage the Awakening strongly implies that religious figures of normal, non-Awakened religions have some kind of special harmony with the Fallen world, though I suppose I read that as mostly 'please don't make all religious figures Awakened and also please don't just declare all non-Awakened religious figures irrelevant.' Frankly I think it was an unnecessary note, unless the intent was to undercut the urgency of actually opposing the Exarchs. Which, sure, religious institutions certainly do that all the time but that's what Paternoster is for, don't imply Jesus (or insert-religious-figure-here) would have just gone along with the Demiurge(s). It's sort of part and parcel with the fact that Wisdom rather unsubtly suggests that not using magic to fight the Exarchs at all is the right thing to do; I don't think that's the opinion of the authors, but it appears to be the opinion of Wisdom. (Hubris is a coward's word.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I Am Just a Box posted:

We'll have to differ on that. Conspiracies in Vigil do tend toward the greyer end of the spectrum than smaller organizations, partially because acquiring and controlling Endowments is fraught with compromise, and partially because larger organizations of people just generally tend towards being more faceless and self-propagating. But making your hunt be undermined by default is not a good way to pitch a Hunter game to players, and conspiracies have appeal beyond murky intrigue. The fundamental appeal of a Malleus Maleficarum priest isn't to get hosed around by self-serving cardinals, it is actually to be a priest who is trying to fight the shadows. The appeal of the Aegis Kai Doru isn't to be lost in Foucault's Pendulum, it is to seek out artifacts of power and keep them safe from misuse.

Even conspiracies where being hosed around by uncaring superiors is part of the core pitch aren't all a bunch of secretive mystery cults. As amazing as Ten Photographs of Philadelphia is, the Primary Development Plan and the shocking secret behind the identity of the Board of Directors are the least interesting thing about how compromised the Cheiron Group is. The Cheiron Group is not cool because surprise! monsters are colonizing the universe through pharmaceuticals, it's cool because it is a natural extension of capitalism and how systems make monsters of us. The coolest intrigue about the Cheiron Group isn't secret at all, it is staring you in the face from the moment you sign up: your employer views you as an asset item on a budget list.

I'll agree with you that the idea that only "conspiracies" can have Endowments is arbitrary and not particularly useful. But if the Lucifuge, who number less than a thousand worldwide and whose murky intrigue revolves around the motives of one person, fits the bill as a conspiracy (and their connections and jet-setting resources do make a solid case there), it is hard to argue that the American government's Vanguard Serial Crimes Unit, overseen by high-level FBI officers and staffed by latent psychics activated by a chemical treatment derived from MK-ULTRA experiments, doesn't.

Wait, so the photographs from Horror Recognition Guide are related to Cheiron? Where can I read about that? That's my favorite HRG story.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Also, a bunch of Free Councillors in my home game have gotten to break out the magically enhanced guns and sleepwalker tactical squads for a ground war against the Seers, in secret to prevent abductions. The Libertines in question have a science fiction symbolic framework, so the enhancements are basically laser guns and futuristic materials.

XCOM: Enemy GNON.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, so the photographs from Horror Recognition Guide are related to Cheiron? Where can I read about that? That's my favorite HRG story.

There are typed notes interstrewn in Ten Photographs from an office that mentions "FPD." FPD is the Field Projects Division, the name of the Cheiron Group's monster-hunting department. A couple pages later there's a slip of paper in another typeface referring to the "Company" and the "Board of Directors," and later the "Group," immediately above a handwritten note that says "CHEIRON NDAS EXTEND BEYOND DEATH." There's further nods in the table of contents listing for the story.

If you want the backstage look at what they were probably thinking of when they wrote the Cheiron involvement in Ten Photographs, read the Cheiron section in Compacts & Conspiracies. I don't recommend it. It is way less interesting than just imagining what's going on in Ten Photographs for yourself.

I think it was Wood Ingham who wrote Ten Photographs? And who then later went on to write the artifact letter fiction in the God-Machine Chronicle book, which visits either the Ten Photographs world or something that looks very much like it. But the God-Machine Chronicle is no longer being sold and the artifact letters aren't included in the Chronicles of Darkness reprint of the GMC content, so... I guess that story's just gone, except for the bits that survive in the God-Machine Rules Update. Again, I think Ten Photographs stands far better on its own than it fares with this story tacked on, so that might be a blessing in disguise. It felt a lot like just going back to the well. Checked my copy and Wood isn't credited on the God-Machine Chronicle book, so maybe I was just remembering it wrong or this was just a different author.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 7, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think I might still actually have my God-Machine Chronicle PDF lying around somewhere

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916561

Deviant/Mortal recruiting up.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I want to make sure, since I can't find an explicit reference in the book: Any given memorized Rote is tied to one specific Skill, right?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

That Old Tree posted:

I want to make sure, since I can't find an explicit reference in the book: Any given memorized Rote is tied to one specific Skill, right?

I believe so, yes.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

That Old Tree posted:

Part of creating a rote using the Arcanum 5 Attainment is choosing a skill to encode in the rote, and anybody who learns that rote and uses its Mudras as a Yantra uses their dots in the encoded skill. Someone else could create a different rote version of the same spell and encode a different skill, of course, but each created rote has one and only one skill associated with it.

And for character creation rotes you can generally pick which skill the rotes you learn had encoded, just assuming that your teacher or Order has a bunch of variants in their libraries.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Really enjoying writing up custom kiths for my Changeling game, and really enjoying that even beyond the custom guidelines, the RAW Gristlegrinder kith basically just outright assures that it's impossible to get too specific with conditions.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hey all, got some more mechanics questions, specifically regarding magical healing - one of my players is about to get exploded, probably to the point where she's going to get put into a coma. Now, this isn't super exciting for her if she's bedridden for a couple weeks, so I'm going to take this opportunity to introduce them to someone who has a bit of talent healing with magic. Don't quite know how that works though. A cursory search found a spell called Healing Heart, that can straight-up heal aggravated damage, but that seems a little overpowered for this scenario (I'd rather not have the characters simply run to this guy every time they take some bad damage). But I don't know how it works, so maybe it can only be cast once a day?

Anyway just looking at any source of healing that can help these guys out without unbalancing everything. Might just be a source of sidequest potential, if this guy demands something that they need to hunt down when they use his services.

Additionally, are there changeling abilities that could do this?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Morpheus posted:

Hey all, got some more mechanics questions, specifically regarding magical healing - one of my players is about to get exploded, probably to the point where she's going to get put into a coma. Now, this isn't super exciting for her if she's bedridden for a couple weeks, so I'm going to take this opportunity to introduce them to someone who has a bit of talent healing with magic. Don't quite know how that works though. A cursory search found a spell called Healing Heart, that can straight-up heal aggravated damage, but that seems a little overpowered for this scenario (I'd rather not have the characters simply run to this guy every time they take some bad damage). But I don't know how it works, so maybe it can only be cast once a day?

Anyway just looking at any source of healing that can help these guys out without unbalancing everything. Might just be a source of sidequest potential, if this guy demands something that they need to hunt down when they use his services.

Changelings can absolutely do this with Goblin Contracts. One of my favorite uses of 1e's Goblin Contracts was playing a doctor who had a contract with wounds - he was able to heal them and remove them from people, but to do it he had to inflict a greater wound on something else in payment. This wasn't a big deal for small stuff, but for aggravated damage it might mean something like finding a large animal to carve up.

I'd have to check how that'd work in 2e, if it would, but frankly unless you're running a Mage or Changeling game you don't have to care about the exact mechanics of Mage or Changeling respectively.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Morpheus posted:

In 2e the Spring Court has Royal Contracts that can do this. Specifically the Gift of Warm Blood can downgrade from aggravated to lethal, then from lethal to bashing as required.

Edit: If you want to balance it you could always leave them at still having some damage from that contract or have the Changeling ask them for a Fae Bargain, healing in return for either something they can give or do for the changeling or an undisclosed favour in the future (likely to the tune of 'you owe me hide me from this Huntsman')

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 9, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So, reading up on stuff like Changeling, would it make in-world sense if I had this NPC doctor be a changeling who demands particular objects tied with strong emotions in order to use them to recover the glamour that he spends on these healing contracts? The characters won't quite know what's going on, but it's something I can reveal to them over time which could add some depth to him, I think, as they figure out why he's requesting weird stuff like a discarded teddy bear, or a lost wedding ring, or a knife used in a murder, or whatever.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Morpheus posted:

So, reading up on stuff like Changeling, would it make in-world sense if I had this NPC doctor be a changeling who demands particular objects tied with strong emotions in order to use them to recover the glamour that he spends on these healing contracts? The characters won't quite know what's going on, but it's something I can reveal to them over time which could add some depth to him, I think, as they figure out why he's requesting weird stuff like a discarded teddy bear, or a lost wedding ring, or a knife used in a murder, or whatever.

Yeah, Spring Court prefers Desire as an emotion but any emotions could work fine if they're strong enough. It's also worth noting the Contract I mentioned doesn't cost glamour if he adds his own blood to it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If anyone is a patron for Rude Takes of Magic, their Masquerade game is fantastic.

To understand the tone, there is a character named "Sephiroth Meatspreader".

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Inzombiac posted:

If anyone is a patron for Rude Takes of Magic, their Masquerade game is fantastic.

Werner Herzog is a great voice for a player character, and I had never thought of it before

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Inzombiac posted:

What is this? All I find is some podcast with no mention of Masquerade... I will say that I'm old and don't really "get" how podcasts work, mind.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Fuzz posted:

What is this? All I find is some podcast with no mention of Masquerade... I will say that I'm old and don't really "get" how podcasts work, mind.

It's on their Patreon, you need to be giving them money to listen to the Masquerade game. The main podcast is a D&D game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's on their Patreon, you need to be giving them money to listen to the Masquerade game. The main podcast is a D&D game.

And it comes from their $10 tier, not their $5 one.

I peeled off my support for TAZ to give to RTOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm (maybe) gonna join a Requiem 1E game after all these years. :allears:

I was told as a joke that I had to make a Nosferatur Carthian but I was all for that. I made a construction worker who got embraced by a Caporetti. I took a bit of inspiration from the horrible Hard Rock hotel story (https://nypost.com/2020/01/22/corpse-visible-in-new-orleans-hard-rock-hotel-debris-months-after-collapse/), my character got stuck there but was still barely alive when his sire climbed up to feed on the corpses. He got embraced and removed instead. He joined the Carthians soon after. I felt like that was the kind of dark story that fit into the WoD, although it might be a tasteless to take inspiration from a real-world event still on-going.

I've played around a bit with the good old nWoD 1e character creation systyem, trying to abuse it but not too much because I think the othe rplayers don't have as much system mastery as me.