Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Champs retain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

all champs retain

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Champs Retain

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

habeasdorkus posted:

Champs Retain

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Akabira Killer Mikes

Koufax to the DL, Don Drysdale to his slot, Tom Seaver to Drysdale's #5 spot.

Clown Fundamentals
Mar 18, 2018

President and GM of YOUR Camden Buzzsaw
Mexico, both retain

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Clown Fundamentals posted:

Mexico, both retain

im feeling lucky this week!!! i agree with this, its also my pick them

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Mikes retain, Generics unify.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

kw0134 posted:

Sub-Par 16, Week 8: Minicaps: Wherein All Your Pre-Season Pick'ems Are Now Wrecked/Vindicated and You are Forever Please/Bereft (Circle as Appropriate).

Greetings once again as I bring fresh updates from the land of the lost. Some teams have awakened. Some teams have fallen asleep. Some divisions are heating up. And some divisions are going to go into torpor. It's not even June yet! Goddamn it, you guys got to give me something to work with.

Hey it's the Doom, finally remembering that they're allowed to hit. Look, it's Luke Appling with five hits in a single game. It's the poor Otters getting skinned. This was going to be the Eagles' chance to escape, but given that the Doom have won eleven straight at the end of this week, uh, I think TKBomber might have to settle for another season of almost dominating the Sub-Par before being promoted.

I dunno what Clown Fundamentals says about his team, but I can tell you what his divisional rivals say -- horrified screaming followed by the sickening silence after the blades stop spinning. Then they speak no more.

So it's funny, because this was a bad, no good week for the Thunderbuckets, dropping three games including the series against the Limes. Despite that they're holding the line against the Modern Love, but a few more weeks like this and they're undone. The Limes probably aren't going to catch the Buzzsaweseseseses but they can certainly angle for position for the Gauntlet. They may well be a team that is most improved between the EC and now and I hope they can prove themselves worthy of life.

TRANSMISSION ERRO-
....METS RAMPA....
LOCAL BUC-E...NO...SAFE....
FALL BACK! FALL BACK TO SLURPE...MACH...
MR.MET WIEL..NG...UNHOL...
STRIKE COORD....NAPAL....FULL PAYL....
Recovered black box at site of failed containment on 5/26/____

The Landers are mrnouns' baby, and by "baby" I mean vehicle to indulge in every sort of weird baseball related whim. When you're as successful as mrnoun has been in the Super-League, then you go out of your way to create your own joy. Not that this week wasn't a treasure in of itself. Less so for the Team Name Baseball Club, but you know, as Marie Kondo says, "gently caress you bitches, I get my joy from the suffering of lesser teams." I think that's something she'd have said.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Call up Mays, send down McGraw. Mays in CF in all lineups.

I'm watching Mel Ott closely to see if he's washed or not. But I'll give him a little more time.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

habeasdorkus posted:

Champs Retain

picking this particular pickem to say "this is also my pickem" to

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Champs retain

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Everything seems fine except for the record. I think it’ll be fine.

And Tewksbury has a hilarious record all while being kinda ok otherwise.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Champs retain!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Pickem
Machine guns take
Other champs keep their belts

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Generics take others retain

Clown Fundamentals
Mar 18, 2018

"I dunno what Clown Fundamentals says about his team, but I can tell you what his divisional rivals say -- horrified screaming followed by the sickening silence after the blades stop spinning. Then they speak no more."

That sounds about right.

And just to gently caress around with you all, bench Delahanty and put Sisler back at 1B and the #5 spot.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Clown Fundamentals posted:

And just to gently caress around with you all, bench Delahanty and put Sisler back at 1B and the #5 spot.

admitting you're making pointless lineup changes just to piss the commisar off is saying the quiet part loud, you know

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Generics take
others retain

Uh...and Panderers do better!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Killer Mikes
Demon Hunters

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

All retain.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Losing 8 in a row hurts. Unless a miracle happens against Doom that's probably stretching into the double digits. I don't really have any way to stop the bleeding. That said at-least Duke is coming back. Also why the heck is Bing's bat the hottest on the team?

Johnny Pesky in for Joe Cronin. Duke Snider called up to bench (and then at starting RF for Carl Reynolds when he's healed). Bing Miller sent down. Joe and Carl to the Bench.

Thanks in advance.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Champs retain.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Champs retain

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Mikes retain, Towa City unifies.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Generics unity and Mikes retain

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

SELF: What the gently caress happened to the wait period!?

WEEK 8 SUB-PAR LEAGUE UPDATE: That period passed while you drank yourself to sleep. Maybe next time you should be more on the spot with replacing injured players to keep your momentum going.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: Don’t listen to that worrywart. Last night was *worth it!*

DRAMA: You could’ve done more with your rhyming last night as well, sire. After all the short quips, people were starting to get bored of you.

SELF: Check my roster

SPIRAL MOUNTAIN BREEGULLS II ROSTER: A spreadsheet of names, and stats are laid out before you.

SELF: Replace LF with ‘67 Frank Robinson.

LOGIC: Didn’t you already have him as LF? Why did Barry Bonds register as DH?

DRAMA: Who loving cares?

SUGGESTION: There’s probably a reason for this. You may as well ask.

Champs retain, and Killer Mikes win!
Now why was Barry LF again!? *cough*

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

:siren:Before we get to the update, CLICK HERE to understand why I am so furious at the HulkaMatt:siren:

Super-League XXVIII, Week 9: Dudes, We Are Over a Third into the Season

: Dumbag? Anyway, I should probably figure out why the murderbeast was calling my name.
: Huh?
: Are you two OKAY? We watched the battles from afar. You really are...something.

: Thank you, sir.
: And great job, you two fellas. We couldn't have done it without you. Ah, but pardon me. My name is Marcelo, of the Northern Rangers Guild. Pleased to make your acquaintances. Would you come with me, fellas? There's someone waiting for you two further up. We'll be taking her to the Research Center now. With heavy sedation and restraints.

: Of course. You're still alive.
: I should be the one asking you that, haha! You two did a marvelous job. You are truly becoming respected Pokemon trainers.
: Yeah, yeah. Can we get on with it? I have business to do.
: Well, then, I'll be brief. To be perfectly honest, I don't like the crowds either.
: Yes, we all have crippling social avoidant disorder. What is your point?
: Smasher, let's talk somewhere where there's a little more peace and quiet. Ah, I know! Meet me in the Research Center just above the grand Sylenpelt Hotel!
: ...fine.
: Blitz, take care. You seem to be well on your way of becoming a Pokemon Master.

: Is that the evil doctor from a billion updates back? Or just a re-used sprite?
: What is it now?

: Oh, he's gone.
: Yes...?
: gently caress it, who cares.

: Get hosed, Blitz.
: Well, whatever. I'm outta here. If you ever need my assistance again, I'll be staying at the Sylenpelt Hotel. The pink building. You can't miss it. Unless you're blind.

: Say, if you ever find yourself north, but I'm talking really north, Mesmer City. Give us a visit. We'd love to have someone as you in our ranks. So just consider it as one of your future steps as as Pokemon trainer.

: The hell does this thing do? I better go to that lab.

: God drat it. I don't even want to deal with any of this poo poo.

: Oh, and be careful. These panels affect tiles of a certain color on ALL floors.
: Why would you make an office building like this?

: Balls.

: NO! I DON'T WANT TO REMEMBER WILLIE! NO! NO! NO! Wait, no, it's okay. Willie isn't real. He was never real.

: I wish Almond would have met me with in some place other than a science dungeon.

: MCP did nothing wrong.

: Great! Have you ever wondered how so many Pokemon fit in there?
: No.
: When you place your Pokeball inside a Computer Port, a Pokemon's captured energy is transferred from the ball into a special device inside the computer which then converts, or "settles" this energy into data. Once in the data form, many Pokemon can be stored in the Storage System.

: See, now that is something I do want to know.
: Beats me. The upper management likes to torture us with puzzles. To keep our mind sharp, I suppose?
: The crushing part of that is I could totally see a tech bro doing that in real life.

: Sure, I may need to impersonate a British judge.

: and expect to appear on the pad above.
: Seems reasonable.

: Less reasonable. I think I'm going to rest at the hotel.

: Oh, what now?

: You fool! Do you not recognize this man?

: It doesn't matter if you're new here, this a matter of culture, common knowledge!
: Finally, someone who knows his stuff. Felix, my man.
: Good to see you again, old friend. From your absence, and this sudden cameo, I must but conclude that your visit is not one of a...joival nature.
: It is, and it isn't. We'll get to that.
: Good, good.
: Now...Have the cheese and ham croissants ready, with cream sponge sandwiches to the side, and a small bowl of white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. And Oolong tea to wash it down, with almond milk and anise sticks for added flavour. To my room. 403.
: That is one of the worst menus I have heard in some time. Also, I'm not sure why you're shelling out for Oolong tea if you're going to wash out the flavour with anise.
: Y-yes Monsieur Fiennes.
: This way, please.
: Add some double nougat and caramel dip to it, will you? drat, am I glad to be back in the now. Even if only for a short while...
: Okay, fine, I'll go back to the lab!

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

CROWS' 5-4 VICTORY OVER PANDERERS CAUSES EXISTENTIAL CRISIS

Portland- How is one to continue when the very bases of one's reality are torn asunder?

That is the question that all mankind must face following the events of this game and, more broadly, this three-game series between the Kobe Crows and the Portland Panderers.

Coming into this three-game set between the top two teams in the Senor Goodtimes Division, all the Panderers needed to do in order to keep their lead in the division was win one game. Given that, historically speaking, the Panderers had dominated the Crows, and given that, historically speaking, the Panderers had dominated in the Panderdome and given that, historically speaking, the Panderers had dominated in the Senor Goodtimes Division, there was no cause for alarm. For the Crows to jump into first place, they would need to sweep the series and that seemed utterly impossible.

The first game ended with a Crows victory, but given that New Hoss had started the game for them, that was no big shock. It was generally conceded that New Hoss had made the Crows a substantially more threatening team, and no one team could be expected to defeat New Hoss easily, regardless of the team behind him.

The second game was more concerning. The Panderers' pitching was not, in the grand scheme of things, all that bad. Madison Bumgarner did not have a great game, but the Panderers' bullpen did give over four innings of scoreless relief. The problem was that the Panderers scored all of one run, and that was simply not enough.

That set up the third game, and, by this point, while the Panderers may not have been scared, they were certainly uneasy. Nonetheless, Cole Hamels went a long way to soothe their jangled nerves, going seven innings and allowing just one run. The Panderers' hitting attack wasn't great, but three runs gave them a 3-1 lead headed into the eighth, and that seemed to be enough. With the Crows' big sluggers due up, Pander summoned one of his Billy Wagners to quell the threat. Wagner started off the inning with a strikeout and ended it with two more. The problem was that, in between, he allowed a Babe Ruth single and a Buck Leonard home run to tie the game.

After a fruitless bottom of the eighth, Pander decided to bring in his other Billy Wagner, blithely refusing to believe that insanity was doing the same thing and expecting a different result. In fairness, such construction of madness would be appropriate only in a context where there was no random variance, where all inputs and outputs were certain, and such an environment does not exist in the chaotic world of baseball.

Nonethless, when Stan Musial hit a two-run home run to give the Crows a 5-3 lead, it certainly felt like madness reigned.

The bottom of the ninth exposed the Panderers' greatest weakness. While the Crows could rely on intermittent circuit clouts to quickly score runs, but the Panderers did not have that sort of power. They would need to chain together a number of hits to make up the deficit. To their credit, they came close, scoring one run and having the tying run on first. But it was not enough, and Eddie Collins flew out to end the game.

"Is this-?" Pander looked stunned after the game, his usual confidence shaken by the calamitous circumstances. "When I gained the secrets of the PanderDome years ago, I was told there would be consequences, if not immediately, then at some point down the line. I hadn't considered-" Pander seemed lost in thought.

"No." Pander shook his head. "No, no, this was just a bad result, there's nothing to be overly concerned with just yet. I can fix this, there's still time. I will not let myself be beaten by the likes of HulkaMatt." Pander tried to will his swagger back into existence. "Worried over HulkaMatt?" He tried to smirk, even if the effect smacked of desperation, "What have I become?"

"Now that I've betrayed-" HulkaMatt began singing as his tiny hamster form bounded onto Pander's shoulder, "Everyone I've ever loved, I pushed them all away. And I have been a slave to the Judas in my mind!" HulkaMatt sang, tugging on Pander's collar, "Is there something left for me to save in the wreckage of my life, my life! I'm becom-, I'm becom-, I'm becoming, I'm becom-, I'm becom-, I'm becoming Judas in, Judas in my mind, mind!"

"What was that?" Pander asked.

HulkaMatt did odd little celebration dance, "It's the theme of Le Champion! And now I am Le Champion of the division!"

Pander turned his head to look at the diminutive form of HulkaMatt, "No crime I committed could possibly merit this level of punishment."

GAME NOTES

-WHY?

-WHY?

-WHY?

-WHY?

THE TITLES ARE UNIFIED!

The Mikes hold on. To be honest, if there is one division winner that I feel confident about, it's probably the Mikes.

The Misanthropes have found themselves.

Team Statistics

Standings

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Swap Will White and Al Orth.

Move Rod Beck to SU and Jonathan Papelbon to SR1. Send down Dennis Eckersley, and put Matt Capps in the SR2 spot.

Also, swap Sandberg and Grich.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 7, 2020

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Swap The Masked Shortstop with Robin Yount. Swap Cy Young with Bob Caruthers.

Please don't be sore again Mr. Masked Friend.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Welp. Replace dead Sutter with Sergio Romo, put Perranoski in Romo's spot in SR.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Slims experiment has come to a close, the Slimes making big changes!

Send Down:

CF Mookie Betts
OF BIG OH!!
3B Deuteronomy Slims
SP Dizzy Dean
SP Warren Spahn

Call Up:

CF Duke Snider
OF Mickey Mantle
3B Stan Hack
SP Paul Derringer
SP Addie Joss

New Rotation:

Maddux
Hoss
Joss
Brown
Derringer

New Line-Ups

vs RHP
2B 1930 Riggs Stephenson
3B 1992 Wade Boggs
1B 1939 Johnny Mize
RF 1995 Gary Sheffield
C 1967 Joe Torre
LF 1902 Jesse Burkett
DH 1953 Mickey Mantle
SS 1907 Honus Wagner
CF 1949 Duke Snider

Bench
2B 1935 Charlie Gehringer
SS 1994 Cal Ripken
OF 1939 Joe Medwick
3B 1939 Stan Hack
C 1939 Ernie Lombardi

vsLHP

LF 1939 Joe Medwick
DH 1953 Mickey Mantle
RF 1995 Gary Sheffield
1B 1939 Johnny Mize
2B 1930 Riggs Stephenson
C 1967 Joe Torre
3B 1992 Wade Boggs
CF 1949 Duke Snider
SS 1907 Honus Wagner

Bench
2B 1935 Charlie Gehringer
SS 1994 Cal Ripken
COF 1902 Jesse Burkett
3B 1939 Stan Hack
C 1939 Ernie Lombardi

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

- Demote McGriff
- Call up Eddie Collins The Younger, he replaces the sore Collins in the lineup
- Waner to the bench, Gwynn to RF, Mathews to DH, batting in Waner's spot in the order.

Best to address soreness now before it comes back to haunt me.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
Week 9 Injury Report, Sub-Par

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Joe Cronin back to SS, restart 3B platoon. Cronin hits 8th, Myer (vs. RHP)/Traynor (vs. LHP) hit 9th.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sigh

Randy from LR to replace David Price
Johan Santana in as LR.
Keith Hernandez replaces Joe Kuhel as 1B.
Elmer Flick replaces Paul Waner at RF

Clown Fundamentals
Mar 18, 2018

Send down Ruth and Chapman.
Move Hornsby to clean-up, have Clemente start at RF and move Gary Sheffield up to bench.
Bring up Goose Gossage and have him replace Chapman at short relief.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

SELF: gently caress!! NOT MY CENTERFIELDER!!! I don't even have a replacement!

PERCEPTION: Sir, I think you should check the names again. Ty Cobb isn't a name om your roster.

SPIRAL MOUNTAIN BREEGULLS II ROSTER: He's right. Tris Speaker's your CF.

SAVOIR-FAIRE: But you could take him off their hands...

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Craig K posted:

Week 9 Injury Report, Sub-Par

So every one of these was a tragic masturbation accident, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

mrnoun posted:

So every one of these was a tragic masturbation accident, right?

Constantly tearing my rotator cuff jerkin' it.