Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Frictional Games' youtube channel has been active the past couple of days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBW3V85Y-I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suWaF-aIdV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnodo783WQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRCeToxGY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

New RE3 news, the city is open-worldish with fast travel and Nemesis can break into safe rooms. The game sounds vaguely Dosnpourish but good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Makes sense, the original was basically an open world game, too.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Hmm let’s see some users comments

quote:

Have a little kindness. Recall that of all the characters in the story, Leonard is about 3 times more likely to kill himself than any of the others, statistically speaking.

Do not underestimate the loneliness, misery and isolation that a 40-year-old man can find themselves in, as their marriage breaks down. Or how difficult it might be to have a healthy perspective on your decisions in that situation.

Also… in a relationship between an older man and the only source of the validation he is desperate for, and a pretty young girl who could replace him in a heartbeat, you may find the balance of power is not as one-sided as you think.

That said, this is a call for sympathy for a character who is clearly a dick. I think a little empathy for *why* someone might act so badly is appropriate – but I completely agree that’s a *very* dodgy relationship, and for it to be portrayed in any other way is really creepy and unpleasant.

Lmao, lots of discussion about age of consent and how “it may be imoral but not illegal!!”

:negative:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Frictional just announced Amnesia sequel.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That's not bad but I was hoping for something else although not sure what. Like how I didn't see coming all those years ago that they'd make Soma. But then again; how much do we know about the setting this time around?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Kinda just want frictional to make a web series. The promise of those old Soma videos far exceeded that of the real game.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

al-azad posted:

Nemesis can break into safe rooms

gently caress that poo poo, an integral part of the rhythm of Resident Evil is frantically making a bee line for those rooms and then being allowed to decompress in them while you contemplate how hosed you are. Its the contrast between the comfiness of the safe rooms and the relentless pressure outside of them that makes a resident evil game, for me. It'll really suck if they just become another location like all the other ones.

One of my favourite locations in any game is Zoe's trailer in Resi 7.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah I'm a little worried about that. I was super hyped since RE2 was the only old-school game I tried in the series, so this one was gonna be pretty much a complete unknown following off a great reimagining. But I don't want to deal with monsters sneaking into my safe areas :arghfist::saddowns:

e:

Night10194 posted:

They already said the safe rooms thing was a misunderstanding and Nemmy will be keeping out of the actual safe/save areas.

:sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 7, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They already said the safe rooms thing was a misunderstanding and Nemmy will be keeping out of the actual safe/save areas.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Night10194 posted:

That's what they would say to lure you into a false sense of security.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

He’ll stay out of safe rooms but the second you open the door there’s a rocket headed right towards you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You'll technically be safe, but he'll sneak in and swap your main file for the one where you were at 10% health with 3 bullets left

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You're gonna walk in an he'll be in there but his pants will be down and he'll be all 'no no don't come in I don't have pants on oh no'

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Night10194 posted:

Yeah but they also said RE7 would have combat and that didn't stop people running into the thread months after launch to go "HOLY poo poo GUYS THIS IS A REAL RESIDENT EVIL WITH COMBAT!?"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
As opposed to all the Resident Evil games that don't have combat? :crossarms:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

As opposed to all the Resident Evil games that don't have combat? :crossarms:

Well RE7 was a lovely Outlast clone remember?

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

Len posted:

I had honestly forgotten, the memories of that title had been over written by the last remake.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

Was that actually a common preconception that people had? Because except for being first-person, it really is nothing like Outlast even at a casual glance.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

Was that actually a common preconception that people had? Because except for being first-person, it really is nothing like Outlast even at a casual glance.

Yes, the demo had no combat so goons slam judged it as being a lovely Outlast clone

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The demo where you play as a cameraman in a haunted mansion was specifically timed to release within a month of Outlast 2’s demo to ride its popularity.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, in that case, I suppose I can see where people would get the impression from. It's still kind of stupid, though. I mean, has there ever been a Resident Evil game that didn't have combat. Would be rather strange for them to start now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There had never been a first-person mainline title before either

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Al-azad made a big effor post awhile back about why you could slam pick some bad judgment

al-azad posted:

The first demo was the first VHS tape you get in the game, completely on rails with little interaction. The second demo has the axe and empty gun. The third demo, released a full 5 months later, features combat with a single monster.

Here's are the details you maybe don't remember about Resident Evil's marketing and the state of video games in 2016:

2016 was the big rollout of VR to consumer markets. Capcom was demonstrating the "Kitchen" demo at every major con leading people to believe they were doing a VR horror game which was largely the realm of stationary rail shooters.

RE7 gets a surprise announcement at E3. The trailer features no supernatural elements and interviews with the staff have them deny there are any zombies.

The first demo is released. Outlast 2's demo is released the same week.

An update to the demo is released later that summer. It has an axe and a hidden gun but no combat.

December the Beginning Hour demo is released featuring combat, five months after the announcement marketing.

So if you think people had no reason to speculate what RE7 was going to be the issue is Capcom because up until a month before release the game's marketing centered entirely around being tortured by the Bakers.

It's still ridiculous to assume Resident Evil which off the top of my head has had combat in literally every game mainline and spinoff would ditch it entirely but at it's a good post

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, in that case, I suppose I can see where people would get the impression from. It's still kind of stupid, though. I mean, has there ever been a Resident Evil game that didn't have combat. Would be rather strange for them to start now.

I think people were traumatized by a numbered title in first person.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
So guess what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiQAlGUw_o

Yaaaaaaay!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

I think people were traumatized by a numbered title in first person.
Yeah, in all fairness, Gun Survivor was pretty terrible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

An addendum to that is Outlast’s demo was playable at PAX in April and was publicly released before E3. This convo comes up quarterly so my tldr: Capcom was extremely cautious and tight lipped because it was so different and RE6 was considered a commercial failure despite selling 10 million copies. Was it reasonable to assume it would have no combat? Not really. Was it reasonable to assume the game was following the trends of contemporary horror games? Absolutely.

If it wasn’t for the molded RE7 would have as much action as Alien and even that game feels like someone made the executive decision to add androids because they were afraid audiences would get bored of an invincible omnipresent monster which is how I feel about the Bakers -> molded.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Resident Evil Gun Survivor IS a mainline game and you WILL enjoy Ark Thompson

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I will never enjoy a game that features a name as godawful as Lilyrungo. I just refuse to. :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Resident Evil games were always at least mostly first person what with all the room transitions

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

Frictional just announced Amnesia sequel.

I'm a little disappointed at the prospect. I liked how SOMA made the fear of walking through corridors with a dodgy flashlight secondary to the existential crisis, I'm not looking forward to a return to "gently caress, nearly out of tinder boxes." Then again, Frictional doesn't seem like the type to go back to the same well, and it might be a sequel in the same manner Machine for Pugs was one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Frictional has enough money and clout at this point that they don't have to milk their IPs to stay afloat. I trust that if they're going back to Amnesia, its because they want to do something new with it.

They've also admitted to a lot of the tricks and deception they did with The Dark Descent, so it probably wouldn't be as effective a second time around.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

gonna be real happy if they let me look at the scary thing this time

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

davidspackage posted:

it might be a sequel in the same manner Machine for Pugs was one.
That's not really selling me on it, considering how that game turned out.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I would love a machine for pugs instead of what that game became

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to evade bad jokes in a Machine for Puns

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I would love a machine for pugs instead of what that game became

Wandering through the mansion of a rich old lady who recently disappeared, you hear a strange noise from around the corner...

ENNH ENNNH ENNH *SNORT* ENNH

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

DreadOut 2 is cool and good. I ran into a game breaking bug about 3 hours in and complained to the dev on Twitter and it was patched within a couple days. Everyone should go check it out. It's kinda jank, but generally enjoyable. The little "urban myths" side missions are awesome and teach you about Indonesian ghost lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Some artsy person please 'shop an Amnesia monster face on a pug, because that sounds amazing and I want to play it.