Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Oh cool is this where the cool kids at lunch dog pile the one person?

The reading of that rule an similar is unnecessarily confusing at a glance. gently caress half the game is now with detachment, faqs, supplements etc.

This loving game. An its loving community to boot sometimes gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

fadam posted:

Cool, thanks for tips guys.

If you want IG parts then Anvil Industry is another good place to look at:
https://anvilindustry.co.uk/regiments
They added a bunch of female Trench Fighters stuff this week.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

For_Great_Justice posted:

Oh cool is this where the cool kids at lunch dog pile the one person?

The reading of that rule an similar is unnecessarily confusing at a glance. gently caress half the game is now with detachment, faqs, supplements etc.

This loving game. An its loving community to boot sometimes gently caress.

The dog piling is on Goose because he was doing his thing, not on the rules question.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Then consider the ignore button. Not seeing Corrode makes much a much easier to read thread for example.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Never ignore a poster. Getting mad is the only reason to read the forum

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

swampcow posted:

Anyone ever try one of these out?: https://firmerterra.com/

I'm almost sold, but one review said not to lean too hard on the table. Wondering if anyone can speak to their sturdiness.

I have one. It is fairly sturdy, but don’t go dancing on it. Really difficult to set up on hardwood floors if you’re solo due to the way it folds. It has a cover and handle so it’s fairly portable.

I cover it with a game mat, there is a slight bump that you can feel (not see) where the joints are.

Right now I have it out to support several of my bits boxes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks for all the help pimps. Going to play a game on Monday, with my IG see if I like it, then probably look into a new army.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Right, I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record with this, but reading the Mortifier FAQ does solidify that it doesn't adjust attacks. You literally just get more dice to land the attacks with.

Q: Assuming there are no modifiers to its Attacks characteristic,
how many hit rolls are made by a Mortifier equipped with 2
penitent flails?

A: 15.

Mortifier having 4 attacks, +1 attack for having 2x Penitent Flails. Each attack gets 3 hit rolls. 5x3 = 15.

5 attacks. 15 chances to hit those 5 attacks.

You visit a fairground, you're given 3 shots to hit 1 target. If you hit with the first shot, the other two shots become redundant. So if you have 5 targets to hit (read as: attacks) and 15 shots to hit them with, you still only have 5 targets to hit (attacks).

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

gredgie posted:

Right, I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record with this, but reading the Mortifier FAQ does solidify that it doesn't adjust attacks. You literally just get more dice to land the attacks with.

penitent flails?

Mortifier having 4 attacks, +1 attack for having 2x Penitent Flails. Each attack gets 3 hit rolls. 5x3 = 15.

You visit a fairground, you're given 3 shots to hit 1 target. If you hit with the first shot, the other two shots become redundant. So if you have 5 targets to hit (read as: attacks) and 15 shots to hit them with, you still only have 5 targets to hit (attacks).

Each successful hit roll causes a wound roll, which causes an armor save, which causes damage to be taken. Please read the main rulebook assault section. You are wrong.

quote:

You visit a fairground. You pay 5 tokens to play a game (5 attacks). You need to destroy a target (this takes more than one hit, and some hits won't do any damage). Each token gets you three shots (5 attacks * 3 shots per attack = 15 shots). Each hit is an opportunity to do some damage to the target.

Booley fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 7, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

gredgie posted:

penitent flails?

Each hit can cause a wound. You are incorrect. You seem to be assuming that there's a difference between "attacks" and "more dice to land attacks with". They are the same. I really do not understand how you aren't getting this.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

gredgie posted:

penitent flails?

Seriously, read the rulebook section.

In case you don't have one, here: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Warhammer-40k-Battle-Primer-English-3.pdf

Some useful excerpts:

The Fight Phase posted:

5. Resolve Close Combat Attacks
Close combat attacks can be made one at a time, or in
some cases you can roll the dice for a number of attacks
together. The attack sequence for making close combat
attacks is identical to that used for shooting attacks
except you use the model’s Weapon Skill characteristic
instead of its Ballistic Skill to make hit rolls.

Which references the sequence used for shooting attacks:

The Shooting Phase posted:

Hit Roll: Each time a model
makes an attack, roll a dice. If the
roll is equal to or greater than the
attacking model’s Ballistic Skill
characteristic, then it scores a
hit with the weapon it is using. If
not, the attack fails and the attack
sequence ends. A roll of 1 always
fails, irrespective of any modifiers
that may apply

Every dice result that is equal to or greater than your ballistic/weapon skill scores a successful hit. All of them.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

gredgie posted:

penitent flails?

Your interpretation is plausible is you're going into 40k for the first time. There would be a mechanic where you have 5 attacks, and 15 rolls for those 5 attacks to land. It's just that GW has never created such a mechanic. Instead, if you have 5 attacks, and you some how take it up to 15 attack rolls, you could theoretically get 15 attacks if they all hit and wound, notwithstanding the attack characteristic.

You've got a cooler idea in your head than has ever made it into the game.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Maneck posted:

Your interpretation is plausible is you're going into 40k for the first time. There would be a mechanic where you have 5 attacks, and 15 rolls for those 5 attacks to land. It's just that GW has never created such a mechanic. Instead, if you have 5 attacks, and you some how take it up to 15 attack rolls, you could theoretically get 15 attacks if they all hit and wound, notwithstanding the attack characteristic.

You've got a cooler idea in your head than has ever made it into the game.

There is a mechanic for this - re-rolls.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Played a couple of sweet 1k games today against Chaos marines. Primaris chaplain versus dark apostle of Lorgar.

Chaos begins with the high ground and an objective advantage, but the guns of the loyalists clear them from their perch and the advance is on.

Valiant marines charge in to intercept the dismounted possessed and master.

A single marine holds the line and they're prevented from the charge next turn. He is destroyed, but his job is done and the wrath of chapter's leadership charge forward to end the mutated filth.

And finally it's on. Dark Apostle versus Master of Sanctity.

A flurry of crushing blows fell the main drive of the Word Bearers. We were both disappointed that the apostle missed an attack because he might have killed the chaplain and forced me to use 3cp to fight in death and kill the apostle, which would have been epic indeed.

Really fun games. Lovely having painted dudes out on the table.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

It was kinda funny though? :confused:

I mean it was such a non-sequitur that I sincerely do not get it. I guess Goose wants us to have more rape jokes like his best site 1d4chan? :confused:

e: PS are you coming to NOVA

Living Image fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 7, 2020

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Finished up Feirros and my Aggressors. That finishes up my Iron Hands for the builder's league, just in time for us to hit 1000 points!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JackMann posted:

Finished up Feirros and my Aggressors. That finishes up my Iron Hands for the builder's league, just in time for us to hit 1000 points!

These are really sweet man, good job

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

goose willis posted:

If you paid as much attention to your writing as you did to your painting Goonhammer would be a lot more readable

hahaha

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Okay, I do see where you're coming from with the ol' hit rolls. I guess it just seemed pretty nuts that a squad of 9 Arcos and 1 Endurant could attack something up to 63 times. Since from what I've heard of them from reviews, they're only noteworthy when you're using the Extremis Trigger Word stratagem (3 hit rolls per attack rather than D3). But that combined with Zealot rule where you re-roll failed hit rolls, surely that makes these chaps really good in close combat?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
They're very good at scything through hordes.
The problem is that they lack some of the synergies other melee units get.

Mortifiers for example is also very good at clearing a horde, plus they're a valid recipient of the charge after advance stratagem.

Zephyrim and Repentia get the <ORDER> tag meaning you can stack Bloody Rose buffs and stratagems on them.

So Arco-flags aren't bad per se, they just get outshined by other melee options.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah, look at the list that came 4th here: https://www.40kstats.com/northeastopen

Just piles of Repentia and Zephyrim blasting forwards into combat. Repentia kill basically anything, at which point Arco-flags look a bit mediocre.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Have they actually released the new repentia kits yet? I don't see them on the website and only old repentia and 3rd party stuff on ebay.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Not yet. The non-limited plastic canoness and seraphim/zephyrim are also still pending.

There are five repentia in repeated poses in the SOB limited edition box.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

thinking about stripping my entire guard army (it's not that many models, maybe 60-70 dudes and some tanks) because I have brain worms and I decided I don't like the color scheme, is Super Clean still the go-to for stripping GW paints or should I load up on mineral spirits and explode my house

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Simple Green has been my needs-filler forever

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Or if there is a dollar store near you look for LA’s Totally Awesome which is much, much better than Simple Green.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

thinking about stripping my entire guard army (it's not that many models, maybe 60-70 dudes and some tanks) because I have brain worms and I decided I don't like the color scheme, is Super Clean still the go-to for stripping GW paints or should I load up on mineral spirits and explode my house

what do they look like now, and what are you going for?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

Get some 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Bonus that when the corona comes around you can use that as hand sanitiser.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

gredgie posted:

Okay, I do see where you're coming from with the ol' hit rolls. I guess it just seemed pretty nuts that a squad of 9 Arcos and 1 Endurant could attack something up to 63 times. Since from what I've heard of them from reviews, they're only noteworthy when you're using the Extremis Trigger Word stratagem (3 hit rolls per attack rather than D3). But that combined with Zealot rule where you re-roll failed hit rolls, surely that makes these chaps really good in close combat?

The first time I encountered a weapon like this, blades on an ork deffkopta, I was similarly confused.

Then I realized this exists so that you can have variable attack melee weapons since melee weapons are based on the models attack stat. Ranged weapons don't have that problem, so they just write 2d6 attacks or whatever.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

Get some 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Bonus that when the corona comes around you can use that as hand sanitiser.

Is this safe on plastic and resin? And will it remove super glue?

I've been user Super Clean and it loosens super glue but can still be a pain to separate bits.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

not sure if Goobertown Hobbies is on the youtuber shitlord list, but in case he isnt, here's a relevant video for stripping and cleaning models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBjt1wKZfc

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mephiston posted:

not sure if Goobertown Hobbies is on the youtuber shitlord list, but in case he isnt, here's a relevant video for stripping and cleaning models:

Goobertown is a kind, sweet boy.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Goobertown is a kind, sweet boy.

That is good to know, because I enjoy his videos.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

In one of his big build videos he does like a fifteen minute global warming message. He's cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mephiston posted:

Goobertown Hobbies is very good people who is cool and friends with many of the other popular Miniature Youtubers out there. I would give up on the world if I found out them, Miniac, or Midwinter Minis were bad people.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Or Lukes Aps, I love that guy's West Country terrain tutorials.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I find Miniac really obnoxious, but I'm not subbed to any Americans outside of goober because of their "style"

YouTube keeps trying to force feed me gmg and whatever that other one is with "beato the Vito" and some cat meme poo poo and I'm just like gently caress off.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Vince seems like a good dude and has amazing tutorials and is very low on the obnoxious scale.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dana Howl is good too as far as American artists go

the artists I usually watch for ideas are Duncan Rhodes and the rest of the WH40k team, Mezgike, Vince Venturella and Dana Howl

Vince has tutorials on anything you can think of, and Mezgike and Dana really dwell on the more artistic and creative elements of the hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Fake James posted:

Is this safe on plastic and resin? And will it remove super glue?

I've been user Super Clean and it loosens super glue but can still be a pain to separate bits.

I've used it on plastic fine (but mostly I use Super Clean too).

Here's a link to Fuaxhammer on ISO striping. there's also info on the first page of the mini painting thread.

The main takeaway is usually "LA Awesome/Simple Green/Purple Power/Super Clean is safe for long soaks, 99% Iso should only soak about an hour". Of course, every time I go looking up info I keep finding weirder and weirder stuff people are trying (Pinesol? really?)