Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lladre posted:

Anyone else having issues that when you send your noble guy on a caravan they forget they have a throne?

I almost wonder if this is working as intended? I mean you send a pampered noble away from his precious throne room and maybe they get pissy as hell? I mean I'm legit not saying this to be sarcastic. But my instinct with this kind of thing is kinda couched within dwarf fortress where the nobles are useless petulant assholes. Honestly so far I'm just happy that Rimworld nobles are at least willing to fight and fulfill social functions.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Honky Dong Country posted:

I almost wonder if this is working as intended? I mean you send a pampered noble away from his precious throne room and maybe they get pissy as hell? I mean I'm legit not saying this to be sarcastic. But my instinct with this kind of thing is kinda couched within dwarf fortress where the nobles are useless petulant assholes. Honestly so far I'm just happy that Rimworld nobles are at least willing to fight and fulfill social functions.

Yeah I'm going to guess that is working as intended but who knows. And yes, I too appreciate the fact that Rimworld has gone the route of only partially useless nobility that you can still strap into armor and order up onto the front lines, or have them play a "caster" role decked out in psionic gear. I really want to get a noble in full cataphract armor with one of the new dna linked swords just loving annihilating people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lladre posted:

Anyone else having issues that when you send your noble guy on a caravan they forget they have a throne?

Have you built a palanquin?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I snagged a link zeushammer from an ancient danger, and one noble (still esquire) has a minor passion for melee. She will be an interesting character, while her husband (who just made esquire) is more shooty.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Started a crashlanded start, 3 days in I got a plague on two of my colonists, they stayed on bedrest the entire time for the immunity gain bonus but still died. My third pawn got scratched by a mad raccoon he failed to shoot with his assault rifle. Infection, self-tend with medicine wasn't enough to stave it off, couldn't amputate his own arm, loving dead.

10 days.

Bloody 'ell Randy.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

is it possible to keep gaining psycaster levels without gaining favor? like if I wanted to start going against the empire? also how devastating are the raids if they do catch you casting abilities you're not allowed to? This title nonsense is annoying, the amount of materials and time it takes to make a new bedroom + throneroom because your guy became an esquire when you still only had 3 colonists isn't close to worth it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

A Moose posted:

is it possible to keep gaining psycaster levels without gaining favor? like if I wanted to start going against the empire? also how devastating are the raids if they do catch you casting abilities you're not allowed to? This title nonsense is annoying, the amount of materials and time it takes to make a new bedroom + throneroom because your guy became an esquire when you still only had 3 colonists isn't close to worth it.

Gaining psycaster levels is possible, you'll need to trade or quest for the psycaster upgrades. Using psychic powers with a non-noble (or a noble of too low rank) will drop your relationship with the empire, quickly leading to war.

The raids are pretty spooky, imperial troops have very good equipment and it's all protected by biocoding and death acidifiers, so you stand to gain very little from beating them.

If you install a psychic silencer on your illegal psyker, the empire will not be able to detect their psychic powers, so you can get away with both having an illegal psyker AND being friends / neutral with the empire. The silencer causes constant 20% pain, so you will probably want a painstopper for that guy. You can also use a masochist, and the constant pain will give them a giant permanent mood boost, but 20% pain is strong enough to cause a small consciousness penalty, even though the colonist loves it, so they'll move a bit slower and you'll have issues with botching constructions and surgeries and harvests and such. If your illegal wizard is just a masochistic janitor though there's very little downside.

If you find yourself at war with the empire and want to make peace, the usual methods apply. Treat and release prisoners of their faction, or send a caravan to gift one of their towns a bunch of goodies. Check the list of items their town will buy, they are poncy and not interested in a lot of the usual trade goods. Noble clothes and drugs are a good bet.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I love the idea of someone giving my colonist a title and them just immediately lording it over everyone, and sulking about how he should have a throne, so they just built him a throne because it was the only way to shut him up, and he's the only one of us that knows how to cook anyway

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Remember you can click the check mark to not receive royal favor and still get quests from the Empire, where they give you stuff instead.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah I'm going to guess that is working as intended but who knows. And yes, I too appreciate the fact that Rimworld has gone the route of only partially useless nobility that you can still strap into armor and order up onto the front lines, or have them play a "caster" role decked out in psionic gear. I really want to get a noble in full cataphract armor with one of the new dna linked swords just loving annihilating people.

Yeah this is exactly what I want in the long term. I want a married Count/Countess and Count/Countess wielding a linked big rear end hammer and a linked monosword respectively, loaded to the gills with bionics and psycasters leading a brigade of low-grade psionic yeomen citizens into battle. :black101:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think it's a good idea to do the Deserter quest even if you're planning on buddying up with the empire. The free psycaster and silencer are really nice, it puts you 2/3rds of the way to having an illegal wizard to use as your countess's black ops court muscle. The last third you need is a masochist or a painstopper. You can tidy over the little inconvenient war with a pile of fancy hats.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The deserter quest doesn't put you in too-deep poo poo with the empire? I took at as a hard branch between pro-empire and rebel. Plus doesn't anybody using a psycast they don't have the rank for just continue to rack up negative rep with the empire?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

no matter how hard I savescum, 2/3 of my colony get the plague followed by a colony-ending event like huge sapper raid or infestation. if I fight the threat, all my guys die of plague. if I don't they just roll over me. Guess Randy has just decided this is the end.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A Moose posted:

no matter how hard I savescum, 2/3 of my colony get the plague followed by a colony-ending event like huge sapper raid or infestation. if I fight the threat, all my guys die of plague. if I don't they just roll over me. Guess Randy has just decided this is the end.

Never be afraid to disable certain incidents during game creation.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A Moose posted:

Diseases start a bit before you see the popup, since you only detect them at a certain level of infection. You'll need to go back to an even earlier save.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, but if I have to savescum that hard, I pretty much just got got. I probably should have made that vaccine stuff sooner. I had been making medicine for a little bit but rushed the fabrication bench because what are the odds ALL FOUR of my doctors get a serious disease?

This is the game's way of punishing me for taking out all those mechanoid clusters so easily because I thought ahead to buy EMP mortar shells.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

A Moose posted:

Yeah, but if I have to savescum that hard, I pretty much just got got.

You can look at it that way for sure but I don't think of Rimworld as a game that like, is meant to be beaten or to beat you. In high concept "it's a story generator" mode, yeah, maybe this is how the colony ends.

But if you don't like that story and you're doing ant farm mode, gently caress that. Fire up the debug mode and remove the plague from however many doctors you feel comfortable with and keep on rolling.

For me, thinking of Rimworld as a thing I'm supposed to beat doesn't really work, especially if I'm playing on Randy because sometimes Randy just throws incredibly dumb poo poo at you like "here's 30 scythers punching your roof into the hospital, lmao whatever nerd," and if I'm doing a long colony ant farm thing sometimes I'll deal with something like that, or sometimes I'll go "gently caress it" and just whip out the debug tools and delete the scythers because it's my drat ant farm and I'll deal with the scythers or I won't.

So again, up to you, but if you want to save scum it's because you want to "beat it," and that's cool, but if it turns out you can't or you just don't want to, just decide: do you want to keep playing that colony or start a new one? And if you want to keep playing it, cool, just heal all that plague with debug mode and then turn it back off and deal with the raid.

But yeah especially with Randy nothing is scripted and it's not trying to teach you anything. It's just throwing poo poo at you, the scale of which is based on your colony, sure, but most of which is, well, random.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, I've got a noble who just hit Dame and my best weaponry is a dna link zeus hammer and a normal sniper rifle, so of course I get a psychic ship with 6 centipedes, 9 lancers, and 3 pikemen. When I called in Imperial backup, I thought they'd be controllable like the quest ones... nope. The lancers and pikemen were handled after a decent firefight, but the centipedes...

Since I want to see what new content is like rather than just getting wiped out by centipedes who have armor I can't crack, I devmoded them out after losing a colonist and 2 eyes in 2 colonists, in addition to 3 muffalo and a bear, and downing only 1 centipede.

The bad add was probably the Gemstone mod as I got a decent amount, raising my wealth, but looks like much of the gemstones are exact same stats as each other, so probably going to get removed... nice they don't have rest penalties for beds.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Paramemetic posted:

You can look at it that way for sure but I don't think of Rimworld as a game that like, is meant to be beaten or to beat you. In high concept "it's a story generator" mode, yeah, maybe this is how the colony ends.

But if you don't like that story and you're doing ant farm mode, gently caress that. Fire up the debug mode and remove the plague from however many doctors you feel comfortable with and keep on rolling.

For me, thinking of Rimworld as a thing I'm supposed to beat doesn't really work, especially if I'm playing on Randy because sometimes Randy just throws incredibly dumb poo poo at you like "here's 30 scythers punching your roof into the hospital, lmao whatever nerd," and if I'm doing a long colony ant farm thing sometimes I'll deal with something like that, or sometimes I'll go "gently caress it" and just whip out the debug tools and delete the scythers because it's my drat ant farm and I'll deal with the scythers or I won't.

So again, up to you, but if you want to save scum it's because you want to "beat it," and that's cool, but if it turns out you can't or you just don't want to, just decide: do you want to keep playing that colony or start a new one? And if you want to keep playing it, cool, just heal all that plague with debug mode and then turn it back off and deal with the raid.

But yeah especially with Randy nothing is scripted and it's not trying to teach you anything. It's just throwing poo poo at you, the scale of which is based on your colony, sure, but most of which is, well, random.

Fuckin :same:

I named my starting Android after my dog. The dev menu will always be open to fix up my lil buddy, everyone else whatevs

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Honky Dong Country posted:

The deserter quest doesn't put you in too-deep poo poo with the empire? I took at as a hard branch between pro-empire and rebel. Plus doesn't anybody using a psycast they don't have the rank for just continue to rack up negative rep with the empire?

It does put you at war with them, but you can raise relationships back to neutral by giving them stuff. Using psycasts without the correct rank is fine as long as the caster has a Silencer installed on them. The deserter quest gives you a guaranteed silencer.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

It does put you at war with them, but you can raise relationships back to neutral by giving them stuff. Using psycasts without the correct rank is fine as long as the caster has a Silencer installed on them. The deserter quest gives you a guaranteed silencer.

Gotcha so as long as you're successful you can keep your poo poo on the down low.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is there a way to freely change your pawns ranks? I figure I want some skillless mook pawn to be my figurehead king so I don't have to lose my good pawns.

E: found out that the high ranks do use social, game wouldn't let my pawn that can't social accept the quests. And my hunter/social pawn might just do the trick because he wont lose hunting until the final title.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 7, 2020

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Since my noble lives and works in the most expensive and beautiful rooms, she's always maximum mood. So I installed the psychic harmonizer in her and her capped mood is giving everyone else +10 bonus. Except when poo poo starts to catch on fire and explode, of course...

Anyway except for all the times that it isn't, having a noble is a massive mood boost to the colony.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Defensive Positions finally updated to 1.1 praise Nyarlathotep

no it didn't :(

Yes it did!!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125

e: Allow Tool is also now tagged 1.1

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 7, 2020

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there some kind of sane way to store hats, besides a stockpile with a single hat per tile?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The Deep Storage mod adds Clothing Racks among other things, those are shelves that allow more than one clothing item per tile.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617282896&searchtext=deep+storage

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there some kind of sane way to store hats, besides a stockpile with a single hat per tile?

Not without a mod. Vanilla storage is kind of nonsensical because a hat or a shirt takes up as much space as a whole pile of stone blocks or steel.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Dunno if this would classify as an exploit, but if you call in reinforcements with a noble, and they get knocked out, you can "rescue" them, heal them up and send them off, and it will give the same relation bonus as rescuing any other member of that faction.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You can do that with normal reinforcements from allies you call in with a comm console too, so I wouldn't really consider it an exploit. You're still helping a member of that faction, after all.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
The biggest way to game the system is to have a noble visit your colony, and while they are visiting force them to swap out their weapon for a wooden mace or whatever. Pick up their weapon with one of your pawns, and undress them all before they leave.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I thought pretty much all nobles or noble fighters had biocoded weapons and refuse to unequip their apparel.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I thought pretty much all nobles or noble fighters had biocoded weapons and refuse to unequip their apparel.

That, plus visitors can't drop their gear or pick up new gear. There's usually no way to cheese it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There is always their delicious meats

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean if you want to see the new content you could always play on medium?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

There is always their delicious meats
Death acidifiers. :v:

Or wait, do those just destroy gear?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
When the initial rebel quest pops up, your colony wealth is so low that a raid from them is a single pawn.

I actually managed to down and recruit mine so I got a decent range pawn with recon armor.

Getting back to neutral was helped because I still had quests unaccepted from them.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

boar guy posted:

i mean if you want to see the new content you could always play on medium?

Already do!

I’m just that bad at the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I ranked a second guy up but I can't find the psychic amp they gave him so I haven't learn his second spell. Can they get lost on the map somewhere?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

I ranked a second guy up but I can't find the psychic amp they gave him so I haven't learn his second spell. Can they get lost on the map somewhere?

you should be able to go through your history and find the notification that a drop pod landed, and then jump to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Start a caravan and pick that pawn and the thingy. they'll go pick it up.

They are small and get easily lost in the clutter.